• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saty

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/154587/steam-top-10
Valve lists the following as the 10 bestselling titles on Steam last week:

1.The Walking Dead: Season Two
2.Borderlands 2: Game of the Year Edition
3.Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
4.DayZ
5.Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
6.Sid Meier's Civilization V: The Complete Edition
7.Sid Meier's Civilization V Beyond Earth
8.The Crew
9.Metro Redux
10.Age of Mythology: Extended Edition

The_Monk

I don't know, but I hope they don't release a DLC, since 400 days was basically pointless.

I agree, 400 days was a scam in my opinion, should have been free.

Indeed, it could have been a nice little offer since I didn't find that much important even for the Second season. I was just wondering if I should delete it from my Steam installed games Library or not. I know I can always install it back if they release something, I just like to have a clean installed tab on Steam without too many games in there.

Grief.exe

I haven't kept up, so I'm curious, have they fixed the durability problems yet?

The build quality is shit though.

I believe the current theory is Sony has fixed the durability issues for the second iteration of the sticks. I bought mine a few months ago and after 150 hours of Dark Souls II, DMC, Wolf Among Us, and various platformers, the sticks are still holding up just fine.

Others with the newer design seem to be having a similar experience.

J2K DS4W makes it my favorite PC controller for sure.

I'm using the J2K branch as well per your recommendation. Running very smooth.

I haven't tooled around in the settings too much, are other features that I should be aware of?

Just noticed today I had 10 years Steam Birthday.

NWfeOiW.jpg

Where is my HL3, Gaben???

which do you prefer? the xbox one controller or the dualshock 4?

I prefer the Xbox One controller although it's hard to go wrong with either one. XB1 controller has a bit more heft to it and I prefer the way you lay your hands over the buttons. The sticks are great as as well and I really like the side grips. Some people don't like the bumpers but I am of the opinion that you have to go purposely out of your way to encounter the lock. Dualshock 4 has some neat features in regards to the motion controls/mic/touchpad(great for adding 4 extra buttons) but none of those features will ever be used on the PC in games.

The biggest advantage of the XB1 controller when used for consoles is that it uses AA batteries and lasts around 30 hours as compared to the 5 of the DS4. Just switch in some changed enloops and I'm back to gaming within a minute. Although it should be mentioned most people seem to have much higher times for the DS4 so I probably got unlucky with mine. This is irrelevant for my PC usage though as I use both with a USB cable, and that is the only way you can currently use an XB1 controller on the PC.

Jawmuncher

I prefer the Xbox One controller although it's hard to go wrong with either one. XB1 controller has a bit more heft to it and I prefer the way you lay your hands over the buttons. The sticks are great as as well and I really like the side grips. Dualshock 4 has some neat features in regards to the motion controls/mic/touchpad(great for adding 4 extra buttons) but none of those features will ever be used on the PC in games.

The biggest advantage of the XB1 controller when used for consoles is that it uses AA batteries and lasts around 30 hours as compared to the 5 of the DS4. Just switch in some changed enloops and I'm back to gaming within a minute. Although it should be mentioned most people seem to have much higher times for the DS4 so I probably got unlucky with mine. This is irrelevant for my PC usage though as I use both with a USB cable, and that is the only way you can currently use an XB1 controller on the PC.

Funny enough I really dislike the sticks on the Xone they're too small and the concave with the raise I really don't like. Doesn't help that gets dirty pretty quick if you have clammy hands during some gaming like I do so i'm constantly cleaning it. Plus the 2 controllers I have much like the PS4 had build quality issues. The left side on both is loose. The first time I had to open one of them up to move a screw that got loose in the board and got wedged inbetween that and the trigger. Which was just crazy.

Still with that said I do like what the Xone controller is going for but I feel the change was pretty unnecessary when they had the 360 controller.

Parsnip

I hope Microsoft releases a wireless dongle for the xbone controller at some point. Wireless or bust.

Good thing I have 3 360 controllers now, if something breaks from one I can always use another one and cannibalize the broken one for spare parts.

It's a bummer that you got unlucky with the screws but that seems like a rare occurrence whereas every dualshock 4's analogue sticks will peel if you shake them too hard.

The whole season wasn't good (even though I liked the finale more than the one of S1) but it doesn't even compare to the monstrosity that the TV show is
The first season of the TC show was good, a bit too slow but almost exactly like my imaginary perfect zombie show. The second season though... Good Lord was that bad and horribly paced with boring characters and laughable character development. I stopped caring midway the third season, so I don't know, maybe they got back on track?
--
BAH, tried like 15 of them from different sections and they're all taken. I don't care that much to keep attempting. Thanks though :)
You are me from yesterday evening, ha. Tektonic gave me great tip. You just have to pay attention to their FB-page. There they announce new key-batches shortly before. Here the links for the FB-page and the actual keys-page.
https://www.facebook.com/spiralgamestudios
http://trek-industries.com/post/95945715480/my-reddit-giveaway-was-deleted-so-here-it-is
Hope you can snatch one next time because they said they're still gonna give 5000 keys away!

Nabs

I'm using the J2K branch as well per your recommendation. Running very smooth.

I haven't tooled around in the settings too much, are other features that I should be aware of?

Auto-profile switching is a game changer for me. The program will switch depending on what's in focus, so you can alt-tab between games and switch profiles with no problem. I've gotten to the point where I'll make a profile just to have custom colors.

The "Slide" check button under profiles will disable the touchpad for that profile. It's useful when creating profiles for games where you don't want the pad to interfere with your touchpad shortcuts. I use the touchpad to reset my run in OlliOlli for instance.

Depending on your needs, the shift modifier could be another big feature. You get to set a button that will open up the entire controller to new shortcuts. I use the one where you place a finger on the touchpad (not clicked in), and have the face button for things like Shadowplay and screenshots.

Right now I have profiles for Need For Speed MW (music playback, screenshots/shadowplay), Binding of Isaac (full controller support), Dolphin, and OlliOlli (reset, music playback).

Ah, what the... There was a free CoD Ghosts MP weekend? I just realized now in my library... with two hours remaining.... damn.

EDIT: Oh snap, 30GB. And it looks like it's frozen at allocating disk space. Guess it's not a smart idea to install on a laptop with a SMART HDD error just because it's a bit more powerful :/

Lomax

I hope Microsoft releases a wireless dongle for the xbone controller at some point. Wireless or bust.

Good thing I have 3 360 controllers now, if something breaks from one I can always use another one and cannibalize the broken one for spare parts.

I saw wireless XBOne controllers at GameStop this weekend for $60 with big "now works on PC" stickers on them, is that not what you're looking for?

The first season of the TC show was good, a bit too slow but almost exactly like my imaginary perfect zombie show. The second season though... Good Lord was that bad and horribly paced with boring characters and laughable character development. I stopped caring midway the third season, so I don't know, maybe they got back on track?

The third season was dramatically better than the absolutely horrible second season. Can't speak to the 4th season though, haven't bothered to watch it yet.

Edit: actually now that I think about it, I watched the first half of the 4th season but didn't bother with the second half. I wouldn't say it's bad but it wasn't good enough to care about.

Vuze

I have never tried a DS4 controller but after the issues I had with the DS3 on PC (bluescreens, inverted axes etc. in some games) I just went with a XOne and really like it.

Jawmuncher

I have never tried a DS4 controller but after the issues I had with the DS3 on PC (bluescreens, inverted axes etc. in some games) I just went with a XOne and really like it.

I know the feeling.
DS3 was pure pain to set up and I gave up on it.
DS4 has been nice and easy though with no issues so long as I was using it wired.
Bluetooth seems to not work for me.

Lomax

No they don't. The wireless communication is built into the xbox one. There is no similar device for the pc since its proprietary.

Oh that's weird. Glad I didn't buy one then, I thought it was like the 360 model with a dongle. Guess their definition of "works on PC" is highly relative then :p GameStop and Microsoft, always a winning combination of misinformation.

There ok but I would wait for a steam sale to buy it and if i'm correct there will be a fall sale then halloween sale.

The "fall sale" is Thanksgiving weekend and is basically a preview of the winter sale. Did the Halloween sale materialize last year? I was thinking it didn't. It's much more themed anyway.

Hugstable

Banned
I know the feeling.
DS3 was pure pain to set up and I gave up on it.
DS4 has been nice and easy though with no issues so long as I was using it wired.
Bluetooth seems to not work for me.

Yeah I could never get the bluetooth wireless stuff for me to work at all. Setting up a DS4 via the XINupt Method has been pretty great though while wired.

Is there a way to get my Wii U Pro Controller working wired? What drivers like XInput would I need for that?

Both, Motionjoy (before Better DS3 existed) and Better DS3. Though obviously the latter was a great improvement.

You need XInput Wrapper in your life. Motionjoy is horrible!

Aerocrane

Vertiginous Golf is a great game. Although I'm wondering if anyone here has play "The Golf Club" game on Steam, and if it's any good?

It is excellent, everyone has the same gear so it comes down to skill with the controls. The course creation tools are incredible and the ghosts of other players shots visible while you play is very cool.

xBladeM6x

It is excellent, everyone has the same gear so it comes down to skill with the controls. The course creation tools are incredible and the ghosts of other players shots visible while you play is very cool.

I really want to get it. How's the optimization? It looks like the kind of game that hasn't been through the ringer when it comes to optimizing on mid-range GPU's yet.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
So I bought COD4 and while it is fun, I am having a technical issue.

I like to customize my keys a specific way in FPS games and for some reason, COD4 is not letting me. It is forcing me to use all the default settings.

After some Google searches I have not found a solution.

Anyone have any ideas?

ModBot said:
Instructions for HalfwayOrb:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (HalfwayOrb, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Star Wolves 3: Civil War -- MB-FFC914D59BE1D9BD
Theatre of War -- MB-A8928E6FF1648325
King's Bounty: Warriors of the North -- MB-1969676448A7A32E

t1409518712z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom