• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried playing Airship Dragoon the other day (thanks Sub Zero!), and after seeing that the tutorial was a few buttons directing you to ~10 pages of text, I knew this was going to be a bumpy ride.

I started up an easy vs CPU game and it took about 45 minutes to an hour just to figure out the UI and controls. Limited to 12 guys, you get to choose your soldiers (kind of like in Total War) and what each can carry in their inventory, limited by a maximum weight point system. Equipping different items in the inventory took me 5-10 minutes alone and many funky eyebrows. Barely comfortable with how the game works, I started moving my soldiers (all of whom are wearing different uniforms) across the huge map, getting stuck on bushes or magically climbing on top along the way. By the 3rd or 4th time moving all of my 12 guys, it alerted me (with a small counter in the menu) that I had spotted an a enemy target. At least I think that's what it meant. Unfortunately, without scrolling through each one individually, I don't think you can figure out which guys are yours because of the unique uniforms.

So of course, I ended up killing one of my soldiers whom I thought was the enemy, only learning of it when it was his turn to move. I closed the game after that, and will probably try again later.

Dr Dogg

Oh wonky ragdolls, don't ever change.
1024x576.resizedimage

1024x576.resizedimage

I would say that looks painful but then again so did the throwing knife to the back of his skull.

Turfster

OK all these Murdered: SS impressions baffle me, where were you shmucks when the game got released, lol.
Surely you guys don't appreciate games when you get them for cheap right?
Right?
I had already had to... reallocate my spending for other, more urgent things =p

MRORANGE

For some reason I have a friend on Steam who doesn't like gaming on PC (He just has steam to talk to me and play a bit of FM2014)

Anyway conversation from last night went like this:

Friend: Getting the new MGS game?
Me; Yearh, it's coming out on PC as well
Friend: Really?
Me: Yeah and the 'demo' game lol
Friend: But you are going to have wait ages like always
Me: I think it's worth waiting for it on PC, will look really great.
Friend:
irBzlqXjxlOnk.gif

I must admit, I laughed.

madjoki

Please read here:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ForsakenUprising/discussions/0/34096318873033676/

Basically this was a "Vote on Greenlight, then grab your free key later".

The developer first asked for Steam id providing a mail address, I sent my email with my id (the Steam nickname, no the account name of course).

Then ALL announcements simply disappeard from the group.

Now the developer wants all user to download a client in order to obtain the steam key, and this is smell bad in my opinion. I mean, they have a way to check if you voted the game on Greenlight, or they can simply put a website online in which you can log in with your Steam data and grab the free key if you voted, but this "download this in order to grab a key" is very very shady, as the fact that all announcements have been deleted.

Should be easier to do website than whole client + server too.
Seems like most of these vote for key are getting messed up by stupid devs.

Thankfully it seems I didn't vote for this one =)

a way to kill an hour, make some steam icons after seeing the blurred image craze on r/Steam subreddit
Oh, these look gorgeous. I would love if you'd upload all of your blurred icons for us to use as well. Great work.
--
Firewatch trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d02lhvvVSy8 (credit to Wario64). It looks virtually identical to the concept art, which is great.
Looks really pleasing. Here some webms.
www.a.pomf.se/ecrthq.webm
www.a.pomf.se/oiffsu.webm
www.a.pomf.se/imhydb.webm
www.a.pomf.se/enbyau.webm
www.a.pomf.se/spsoww.webm

Dascu

Question: Is Destiny coming to PC? I think I read somewhere that it was found in the Steam database, but I can't find a good confirmation.

Jawmuncher

That image for Bird Assassin looks really mean. I usually don't care about that sort of thing but that bird didn't do anything from the look of things.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That image for Bird Assassin looks really mean. I usually don't care about that sort of thing but that bird didn't do anything from the look of things.

Personally my concern is that what we're looking at does not appear to be an assassination, but rather an execution. I mean, a shotgun? Dude just prancing around in a belly-top undershirt? This is not something Agent 47 would approve of.

Question: Is Destiny coming to PC? I think I read somewhere that it was found in the Steam database, but I can't find a good confirmation.

A Christian music blog that doesn't otherwise cover gaming lied and claimed it was in the Steam database.

Dr Dogg

You say that but...
Store Page Description said:
Birds murdered your Pa! His final wishes are for vengeance. Take your Pa's rifle and kill as many birds as you can to avenge his death. Battle a variety of enemies and bosses on your quest to kill the bird that murdered your Pa.

Because you know, an eye for an eye and all.

Looking at the promo pics I'd say this dude is anything but an assassin. More like some crazed lunatic (because what lunatic isn't crazy) with access to a ridiculous arsenal.

Will get that too if it is $2 or less.
Well, price per table, sure.

But it really is a terrific table.

Lots of lasers, the bumpers area are satisfying as hell. It has scoring based on your performance, you can upgrade your fleet. It kind of have random mission events. Great overall main mission design with multiple phases, but the video modes do get a little bit tedious after a few times. I do hate to use that word, but it does feel kind of epic taking part in this war, and you even get to choose which side to play as.

I also would like stress it's a great beginners table. It's easy to hit whatever you're aiming at. Outline drains are not very common and the failsafe is easy to activate on each side and all this give the table an amazing flow. You feel pretty awesome playing it and it's the kind of table that probably makes you overestimate your own ability. It's not easy in a way that makes the table boring but the generous layout design and overall mechanics are there because it wants the war to mean something. And it certainly succeeds in that regard.

Jawmuncher

You say that but...

Because you know, an eye for an eye and all.

Looking at the promo pics I'd say this dude is anything but an assassin. More like some crazed lunatic (because what lunatic isn't crazy) with access to a ridiculous arsenal.

I wonder if his dads even dead and this is just some drunk night he's having.

I reckon we'll have a Destiny PC confirmation by March.

If Acti and Bingie weren't going to be greedy we'd get a OTY edition. But I doubt that we'll be lucky enough if they include 1 expansion.

Arthea

Most games are cheaper on US PSN, often better sale prices and the 15$->15€ thing. We usually get better PS+ games though.

I hope you are, considering US PSN has better pricing like 95% of the time. Very few people I know uses EU PSN anymore although we all live in Finland. The occasional better sale on few indies doesn't help much when bigger games are 70-75 euros ($92-99) to begin with.

Well that one time Spelunky was like $3.74 on US PSN, and when it went on sale on EU PSN it was like double that price :p

I totally read that other way around, that EU PSN was cheaper, that's what I get for posting right after waking up (><)
sorry about that

Vuze

Also a game being listed in the SteamDB doesn't mean it will be released at all - I think we have some Halo games floating around there for months now. But yeah, I think we'll get a release of Destiny sooner or later, no official confirmation yet though. I don't get why people are so excited about anyway - but that's probably because I hate MMOs, dislike FPS and can't say I like space settings at all :D

Asgaro

Personally I use Idle Master only on games I intend to never play, so the busted playtime of 1-2 hours on a bunch of junk games doesn't really bother me. I've made about $40 so far with tons more to go.

You blacklist the games you want to play by throwing the app ids into the blacklist.txt file (one per line).

Alright, guess I'm also getting into this Idle Master thing. (I've been very reluctant since I care about accurate playtimes.)

But I will be using it for a weird situation:

I have exactly 10 games where I already have crafted a badge for, but also still have card drops remaining.
These are games that I've already fully completed (and have no intention of returning to) but didn't have cards yet at the time.

When that card system got introduced, I just went over all my completed games that now have cards, and I simply bought all the cards necessary to craft a badge.
(I craft a badge for each game I complete.)

Example:
steambadgethingy.PNG

But now that I think about it: this means I am not eligible for a booster packs for those 10 games. Seems like a missed opportunity.
So I guess I'll look past the wrong playtimes of those 10 games and in return I'll get:
- some spare change
- booster pack eligibility for an extra 10 games

Worth it. :)

Nzyme32

It was fake and reported by a bunch of click bait sites as true. However, I'd be willing to bet it will appear on PC at some point.

Edit: hilariously beaten to a pulp

Jawmuncher

yes ... yes, you are ;)

you should only be happy about that ... that game is beyond terrible ;)

It's way better now than when it was called Dino Horde.
Spent 20 minutes with it and didn't feel like a waste of time like before.
That was only with 1 mode as well. It's worth the 99 cents now.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Tizoc, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Freedom Planet -- MB-B8EEBC3CD31614FB - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 89 entrants total.

t1409503109z1.png

Jawmuncher

Ozium was right about me lying that there would be no more talk about Huniepop.
There's apparently a Yuri mode for the game. I'm going that route if it fits with the character I picked for the thread.

That doesn't sound good and I was planning to play it as I liked idea and how it looks. If you'll play more, please, post impressions again.

Visually, characters look pretty nice for a <500mb install. The soldier uniforms and weapons look fairly authentic, and the animations are fine and not too clumsy looking. The UI, on the other hand, looks and feels very dated (early to mid 90's games) and unintuitive. I haven't played enough to judge whether it's good or bad yet, but just initial impressions in the first two hours was a bit of frustration because of the lack of good tutorial. It's no surprise that they push the "with no concessions to casualization" point on their store page, because you really run into that as soon as you start playing it. I can see a lot of people who want to try it out quitting because the devs can't be bothered to teach you some game basics.

I think I'll try one of the campaigns next time I play instead of a quick battle, hopefully I get to see that world map with the airship that we see in the storefront screenshots. It looks like the airship may be just a vehicle animation to show where you moved your army and not some playable unit, but I hope I'm wrong.

played meltdown today , really fun arcade shooter , the only thing that is missing is offline coop but it seems that it will be added soon so is all good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom