• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller hands-on impressions

Considering that Steam can just use ANY controller you plug in...

I dont see a problem with them experimenting. Its actually kind of a bummer how this just gets closer and closer to the traditional option

Its like.... We can already go buy PS4 and Xbone controllers and plug them into our PCs

I want to get one of these because I think it'll be great to have around for games that lack controller support, or just don't play well with a controller for whatever reason. But I doubt it will be my choice for games that were designed with a controller in mind.

One thing I'm curious about, though, is when you're using the right trackpad to emulate the mouse, do you lose true analog movement for the left trackpad and analog stick? I'm assuming a lot of games don't support simultaneous input from a controller and KB+M at the same time, so does movement wind up just mapping WASD? (And even with games that do allow for simultaneous input, is the Steam controller software smart enough to give you the best of both worlds...?)

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Considering that Steam can just use ANY controller you plug in...

I dont see a problem with them experimenting. Its actually kind of a bummer how this just gets closer and closer to the traditional option

Its like.... We can already go buy PS4 and Xbone controllers and plug them into our PCs

Could it be related to the result that the movement of five independent fingers holding a single input object will give out better consistent accuracy at average with less effort and repetition than using a single finger (Thumb in this case, for the steam controller) ?

So the face buttons are horrible like they look. Shame. I don't know why they would follow the dumb Nintendo design. Guess i'll stick with the 360 controller for now.

Did we get any impressions for non-controller friendly games with the new hardware? I'll be sticking to my Xbox controller for the more traditional games so I'm really interested to hear how the new Steam controller holds up for things like Homeworld or Pillars of Eternity.

Hafl of the complaints remind me of the feelings I had when switching from a 360 controller to a DS4 last week. (Touchpads obviously being the exception)
I think I'll be fine with this for shooters and strategy games while keeping the DS4 for everything else.

LogicStep

Good impressions. To me it looks like it will be awesome. I looks like something you have to get used to but once you do you won't want to go back. At least that's the impression I get.

But, but, it doesn't have control sticks......

However, I see how it works very well without them so well done the designers

So raise the three middle buttons up into the space doing absolutely nothing. Problem solved.

Nope.

Screen_Shot_2015-03-04_at_11.45.36_AM.0.0.png

would be too close to the stick and that bump on the right. Face buttons would also have to be raised, not just the middle three.

The bump has been designed so you could use/align your tips of your thumb on the pad.

cackhyena

Nope.

would be too close to the stick and that bump on the right. Face buttons would also have to be raised, not just the middle three.

The bump has been designed so you could use/align your tips of your thumb on the pad.

I guess I don't know what the left pad is for beyond what was shown in the Destructoid video. I don't know why it has to be that big for a function so simple. Seems to me shrinking that could be a good thing and then other parts could be moved around. It might be a thing where I just get used to the awkwardness of it all like the Wii U pad over time, but I can tell it will be a bitch switching from the track pad to face buttons as is, just like the video showed. Look they should cater to my needs most and first, okay? Rest of y'all follow. That's all I'm saying.

metalhead79

Neo Member
best bit is his thoughts on steam Link, has he not seen in-home streaming? press who dont research/dig do annoy me so.

LOL, I just read the article. There's no way Steam Link would work as he says when in-home streaming already is entirely the opposite. I use in-home streaming on a daily basis.

It's weird how they're pushing this as a conroller for FPS games. It might be better than a normal 360 controller on PC, but honestly I've never had a problem using the 360 controller. I'm super-duper psyched to use this to play EU4 and other mouse-heavy games, though. My wrist is starting to get carpal tunnel :\.

It's weird how they're pushing this as a conroller for FPS games. It might be better than a normal 360 controller on PC, but honestly I've never had a problem using the 360 controller. I'm super-duper psyched to use this to play EU4 and other mouse-heavy games, though. My wrist is starting to get carpal tunnel :\.

Do you play games like Counter Strike or Unreal Tournament or even Titanfall on multiplayer with a 360 controller on PC?

I was talking about it in terms of Nintendo's orientation. Y and B are in the same spots as X and A on the Xbox controllers... It's confusing.

GW0084B.jpg

Resident Evil 6 uses A to run and X to collect items. On Xbox, these buttons are right near the stick and can be accessed fastest. On Wii U Pro, you would have to change these actions to Y and B to keep them in the same position on the diamond.

But Wii U's Y and B are farthest the stick, so this would make them the slowest buttons to access. So, it works out best to reverse the placement of each action on the diamond and use X and A as the main buttons, even though the feel of the controls is fundamentally changed by making the diamond backwards like this this.

Steam's controller will map buttons just like Xbox by default, which means running in RE6 would still be on A, the button farthest from the trackpad. X-Y and A-B would have to be reversed to prevent all the extra reaching that would result from that, just as they are on the U Pro.

It's not a major problem but it's something worth noting, as I have had to adjust control schemes to compensate for the U Pro's reversed stick position. Steam will allow this to be done easily but I'm concerned about whether on screen prompts will be harder to follow if all the buttons are reverse mapped.
i have been shouting about controller nomenclature for ever now.

Drop the stupid letter convention. Valve your controller doesn't have a Dpad, just use up/down/left/right for the face buttons. For a controller with a Dpad use triangle up, triangle down, triangle left and triangle right. Bumpers and triggers avoid the confusion since Nintendo did the right thing and asociated them with the "right" and "left" orientation concept.

Sega, MS and Nintendo has been screwing things up for generations in this sense.

Top Bottom