• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller overview and videos/impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

So your saying it would be possible to play DOTA and Starcraft with just a controller ?

It is possible to play Starcraft vs a hard AI according to one of the original testers, but how you fare online competitively on Starcraft or Dota, I highly doubt you would be as capable as a mouse player. The same is true with FPS like CSGO, however you will at the least be able to have a playable and some what competitive experience at a casual level.

In the end, the controller is not intended to be the be all end all replacement of the mouse and keyboard, but simply another controller based option that comes somewhat close and lets you play all your Steam games regardless of if they have controller support or not. It certainly is better or rather more mouse-like compared to analogue sticks due to the 1:1 nature of the pads and ability to use velocity based movement rather than a positional set rate

The Cowboy

The whole point is not removing your thumbs from the haptic pads, instead using the triggers on top and bottom of the controller.
I can't see myself doing that that at all in a lot of games, when playing certain games i will want to use the XYBA buttons - plus if the whole point was to do as you say, then they wouldn't''t have put the XYBA buttons on the thing.

For me its still a major negative (if they are indeed hard to reach), i will use the XYBA buttons a lot and if they are a stretch to reach then i can't see myself buying/keeping the controller.

I'm one of those 1 controller for all my couch games, i like the idea of the Steam controller but i was/am hoping everything is within easy reach on it so i can just move onto having that as my main couch pad.

atr0cious

Ever since Splatoon, I've been really wanting more motion assisted aiming, so could someone with this please give impressions on the accelerometers. The DS4's are really stiff compared to the wii u gamepad, so I'm hoping this bridges that divide.

I'm in an interesting situation. My DS4 is falling apart. The left analog stick rubber is coming off, the L2 trigger sticks sometimes. I love the layout of the thing but I hardly use it and it's still not holding up to modest use. I'd buy a replacement but it will do the same thing until there is a major revision. I'm considering the X1 controller when the wireless dongle comes out but I've hear complaints about that controller when it comes to the bumpers and d-pad. I can't go back to the d-pad on the X360 controller, but that thing was such a tank. Now the Steam controller has my attention as well but I'm considering it more as an additional controller instead of my main controller. I don't know. My situation is that I use the keyboard and mouse more than anything and I'm not looking to replace those. I only use a controller in the case that I feel the game is best played with a controller.

Grief.exe

I can't see myself doing that that at all in a lot of games, when playing certain games i will want to use the XYBA buttons - plus if the whole point was to do as you say, then they wouldn't''t have put the XYBA buttons on the thing.

For me its still a major negative (if they are indeed hard to reach), i will use the XYBA buttons a lot and if they are a stretch to reach then i can't see myself buying/keeping the controller.

I'm one of those 1 controller for all my couch games, i like the idea of the Steam controller but i was/am hoping everything is within easy reach on it so i can just move onto having that as my main couch pad.

Arbitrarily ignoring a set of features to make your point isn't a solid foundation for an argument.

Now the Steam controller has my attention as well but I'm considering it more as an additional controller instead of my main controller. I don't know. My situation is that I use the keyboard and mouse more than anything and I'm not looking to replace those. I only use a controller in the case that I feel the game is best played with a controller.

You are probably not in the market for a Steam controller then. It's designed as a replacement for M/KB games from the couch, not to replace traditional analog controllers which are widely available.

Fills a niche essentially.

Iorv3th

I already have it pre-ordered but the grips do look a little thick. I'll wait until I hold it but does seem like something they can maybe revise in the future.

CO_Andy

Ever since Splatoon, I've been really wanting more motion assisted aiming, so could someone with this please give impressions on the accelerometers. The DS4's are really stiff compared to the wii u gamepad, so I'm hoping this bridges that divide.
No, it's not going to be anywhere near the level of the Wii U's gyros.

Shari

Tested the controller at gamescom and, while I had a feeling of cheap build, I didnt have the urge to cancel my preorder.

Customization is just on a whole new level and the button arrangement is really really good.

The only big bummer for me aside from the quality of it it's undoubtedly the fact that uses batteries...

Regarding Link, I would consider a purchase later on.. for the moment my 3m HDMI cable PC to TV doesn't bother me much.

CO_Andy

You folks who want a lithium ion battery are cray cray.

I'll take a pair of batteries that lasts for 80 hours over a single battery that has enough for 10 - 15 hrs.

Nzyme32

I can't see myself doing that that at all in a lot of games, when playing a certain games i will want to use the XYBA buttons - plus if the whole point was to do as you say, then they wouldn't''t have put the XYBA buttons on the thing.

You'll just have to wait and see till more info comes out. All we know is that the controller is a bit bigger than the 360 pad and that a developer with "tiny hands" can't reach the furthest button, but we have no idea of what defines "tiny hands".

I'd say I have particularly tiny hands, so I figure when I do the OT I'll take some measurements and explain how my experience goes. I don't have any problems with any controllers - including the duke which was my main Xbox controller for the 8 years I had it.

It should be pointed out though that apparently it is true that Valve say the best controller configurations were the ones that didn't involve you removing your hands from the pads.

The analog stick and the ABXY buttons are like training wheels. At one point during my demo of Unreal Tournament I complained how hard it was to get my thumb over to the ABXY buttons and then back on the right haptic pad. Valve flat-out told me, “We’ve found that the best control schemes don’t ever force you to take your hands off the pads.” Those buttons are an extraneous compromise to people like me (and maybe you) who are so entrenched in an ABXY culture that we don’t feel comfortable giving it up, even though the Steam Controller’s touchpads click in and thus somewhat emulate the ABXY buttons on their own.

Valve’s goal seems to be to trick you into taking advantage of the Steam Controller. By adding an analog stick and the ABXY buttons they’ve made it more palatable so you’ll check it out. And then once you’ve checked it out, you’ll (they’ll hope) realize the old control schemes are way less efficient.

Also in that article Valve apparently say it takes around 2 hours to get accustomed to the controller.

Hm, I have one from the dev program that arrived a week or two ago, are those the final consumer product?

I'd take a wild guess that they are the final ones, since there would be no way to change and manufacture them ready for October and November should their be a critical flaw

You folks who want a lithium ion battery are cray cray.

I'll take a pair of batteries that lasts for 80 hours over a single battery that has enough for 10 - 15 hrs.

Valve really should have included a pair of rechargeable Eneloops that could be charged with the controller itself, it would have been perfect this way.

Nzyme32

Did Valve say when these bad boys are shipping? I pre-ordered back when they first became available.

You would be on October 16th if you ordered in that first week or so. I'd assume Steam will makes sure you receive it on the 16th, since it would just be stupid if they didn't. Retailers I'd also assume will do the same as they do with most products / hardware they sell via pre-order

Valve really should have included a pair of rechargeable Eneloops that could be charged with the controller itself, it would have been perfect this way.

Yeah - thanks to the other thread I am a convert to AA batteries. Those Eneloops are no fucking joke. They're insanely good. Long lasting, quick charging and apparently have excellent longevity. While I'd love the convenience of Li-ion, these batteries just blow them out of the water. I think I just always had crap AA batteries before and never knew there was something better

aeolist

Banned
i'm interested in one if only for the possibility that the left pad will be a better d-pad than my 360 controller

other PC gamepads suck and i hate sony d-pads so right now i'm kinda stuck

sprinkles

So the Link runs on ARM rather than x86. I hope this means we'll eventually get an official Android based app for Steam IHS.

Kinthalis

Banned
How does the Steam Link not have a 1000mbit ethernet port? Really Valve?

On the one hand, I can't imagine a gigabit port is that much more than a 100mbit one, but I'm not familiar with wholesale prices for these components, maybe there is a large gap?

On the other hand what are you going to throw at this little thing that will task even a 100mbit line?

High quality h.264 video isn't likely to hit that even at 60 FPS. Maybe 4K h.264 video? But this thing doesn't support 4K output, I don't think, so your streamign service will probably be transcoding anyway.

Great thread and very much needed. I have been waiting so long for this controller, the thought of being able to play m&k games from the couch is immensely appealing to me. I just hope I can get used to it fast enough. I have confidence that Valve won't put out a sub-par product but you never know, especially with such a paradigm shift.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's the first I've heard of the Link being locked down. Shame, I was hoping it would be opened up by 3rd parties and not 100% reliant on streaming from a PC
I suppose popularity and strength of security will decide if it ever gets expanded functionality.
Oh, and the ability to use a DS4.

Bear in mind you can stream anything from your PC - doesn't need to be a game. I think that should mean you could run plex/Netflix etc.

And depending how far away you are from your computer, you may be able to use the DS4 still attached to the host.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Will the link work with othe controllers? Eg
- wireless 360 pad and dongle?
- Xbox one pad wired
- Xbox one with upcoming dongle
- DS4 via USB
- DS4 via Bluetooth

Edit: answering my own question, from the steam store

Supports Steam Controller (sold separately,) Xbox One or 360 Wired Controller, Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows, Logitech Wireless Gamepad F710, or keyboard and mouse

I wonder if that means it will support the Xbox one wireless dongle eventually?

Waveset

Bear in mind you can stream anything from your PC - doesn't need to be a game. I think that should mean you could run plex/Netflix etc.

And depending how far away you are from your computer, you may be able to use the DS4 still attached to the host.
I was thinking more of the convenience of not being tethered to the desktop and always having to turn it on. I have an Apple TV at the moment, streaming media is great but it's also nice to run Netflix etc. natively.

DS4 - could be possible though I had to wire ethernet everywhere because of problems with wifi signals.

Nzyme32

Will the link work with othe controllers? Eg
- wireless 360 pad and dongle?
- Xbox one pad wired
- Xbox one with upcoming dongle
- DS4 via USB
- DS4 via Bluetooth

Edit: answering my own question, from the steam store

I wonder if that means it will support the Xbox one wireless dongle eventually?

The Xbox One wireless dongle is "exclusive" to Windows 10 - it doesn't work with anything else, unlike the 360 wireless dongle.

Dr Dogg

I so hope GAME don't fuck my order up what with their recent online kerfuffles they've had. I've been waiting for this bloody controller for so long.

Great thread.

This is going to be my main controller and eventually, hopefully, my only controller. I will learn how to use it and consign my old habits to history. The ideas and concepts its trying to put forth will be worth the small amount of effort it will take.

I have it pre-ordered with Gamestop here in Ireland. Not sure if that means I have to wait till November. Anyone who's ordered outside of the US know if we get ours early as well?

Looking forward to getting my hand on the controller, I've already imagined so many possibilities for mapping controls fitting a variety of genres, and I believe it will breathe new life into my games. Also, it will motivate me to play some games that I've had on the backburner for so long. I'm going to enjoy playing around with the configurations, so that my thumbs never leave the trackpads.

I really can't wait!

Gren

So, it will work on Windows, Mac and Linux. Without Steam it's like a mouse and keyboard, if you want to configure it you'll need Steam.
Awesome, thanks for pointing that out. I could never find a direct confirmation that one could use it as a KB/mouse without running through the Steam overlay (I sure someone mentioned it, I just happened to miss it).

Will definitely get one once I see if there any manufacturers quirks in the launch batches. At best, it'll open up a whole bevy of games for me to play from my sofa. At worst, it will replace the wireless KB/mouse I occasionally use for navigating/maintaining Windows.

Awesome, thanks for pointing that out. I could never find a direct confirmation that one could use it as a KB/mouse without running through the Steam overlay (I sure someone mentioned it, I just happened to miss it).

Krejlooc talked about it, it's in the link

Where this gets really cool is when you take this thing to a non-PC that isn't running steam: it still works. It's literally a keyboard and mouse. I've used my steam controller on a windows 98 PC - played System Shock 2 with it. I've used it on a playstation. I've used it on my mobile phone. I used it on my dreamcast. You can use it on anything that recognizes a keyboard or mouse, because it is a keyboard and mouse.

He also used it in his PC's BIOS.

I really hope that eventually, it gets the ability to flash the FW on it in a more stable state. As I've heard it so far, changing config options changes the firmware on the device, so that it can be faster, but the Firmware resets itself to its default any time that it's done talking with Steam, ie, when you unplug it. If they had the ability to set the firmware to be static when connecting to another device, such as a game console, that might indirectly add some support for other game consoles. Which would be cool.

I'm so excited to try this with GTA V. I have to switch between KB+M and controller because I can't drive on a keyboard and I can't shoot (in Online at least) on a gamepad. Only about a month until my early bird controller gets here...

Anyone know if the steam link will play video files attached to a USB drive? Not streaming from a PC, just playing with built in interface similar to chromecast, plex, roku, etc.

Can't wait to try it with Dark Souls III and Dragon's Dogma. It won't replace KB/M for me, but I already play so many games on PC with a 360 controller, that I'd love having this as well.

@Fenrakk101 its slightly larger than an xbox 360 controller, the grips are a lot thicker
bummer. I was really interested in this. Hopefully they'll eventually release a smaller version, but that seems unlikely.

Melon Husk

I'm in an interesting situation. My DS4 is falling apart. The left analog stick rubber is coming off, the L2 trigger sticks sometimes. I love the layout of the thing but I hardly use it and it's still not holding up to modest use. I'd buy a replacement but it will do the same thing until there is a major revision. I'm considering the X1 controller when the wireless dongle comes out but I've hear complaints about that controller when it comes to the bumpers and d-pad. I can't go back to the d-pad on the X360 controller, but that thing was such a tank. Now the Steam controller has my attention as well but I'm considering it more as an additional controller instead of my main controller. I don't know. My situation is that I use the keyboard and mouse more than anything and I'm not looking to replace those. I only use a controller in the case that I feel the game is best played with a controller.

There's this Wii U Pro controller that works with an adapter. Haven't tried, but worth looking into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom