• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller overview and videos/impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veal

I kinda wonder if it would be better if ABXY were in one curved line along the outer perimeter of the right track pad? Could solve the "can't reach" problem by not having the player move their thumb much at all from the pad to hit a button. Sure the layout would take some getting used to but the whole thing requires rethinking to use anyway.

Krejlooc

Banned
That motion controlled input seems pretty cool; emulating a Wii-mote shake for Dolphin seems like one of the obvious things to do with it, other than maybe steering in general. Dunno what else could potentially be good to use it for though.

I prefer the opposite - using the touch pads to play wii games like they're using a normal controller, without motion controls:

suggestions for games worth trying with the steam controller:

-Wii Emulation: Wii emulation is already pretty terrific these days. You can run games in higher resolution, add texture fixes, even do things like use VR headsets. Obviously you can play with a real wiimote, but using a steam controller transforms a lot of wii experiences into something that feels more traditional. The right touchpad controls the wii pointer in games and can be mapped to control waggle too. Playing Mario Galaxy with a steam controller is nuts, especially when you map the button under the right touchpad to jump. Feels like a weird hybrid between Wii and gamecube controller in that instance.

Beyond that, in normal games (i.e. not wii emulation) you can map mouse control to both the right pad and the IMU inside the remote, and, as an example, map the left trigger to an activator for the IMU. By doing this, you can aim with the right pad, then press the left trigger, and do fine adjustment using the IMU, like in splatoon or Uncharted Golden Abyss. Some might like that, but honestly just using the pad alone would probably be more accurate.

That controller looks enormous. Like Duke enormous.

It's about the same size as an Xbox One controller.

Grief.exe

I kinda wonder if it would be better if ABXY were in one curved line along the outer perimeter of the right track pad? Could solve the "can't reach" problem by not having the player move their thumb much at all from the pad to hit a button. Sure the layout would take some getting used to but the whole thing requires rethinking to use anyway.

They solved that problem by putting 8 buttons within reach of your other fingers, without requiring the use of thumbs.

Kthulhu

I'm not sure if I should pre-order it or buy it after some reviews come out.

Wish it had a smaller dongle, something like that one Logitech makes would be better IMO.

Krejlooc

Banned
They solved that problem by putting 8 buttons within reach of your other fingers, without requiring the use of thumbs.

10 buttons total - 2 shoulder buttons, 2 grip buttons, 2 dual-stage triggers (4 buttons total), plus 2 buttons under each haptic touch pad.

contrast to the 6 buttons total the xbox one and PS4 pads have under your fingers at all times.

Sez

10 buttons total - 2 shoulder buttons, 2 grip buttons, 2 dual-stage triggers (4 buttons total), plus 2 buttons under each haptic touch pad.

contrast to the 6 buttons total the xbox one and PS4 pads have under your fingers at all times.
So you can have every finger under one button all the time? I'd like to see how it works.

Krejlooc, a question regarding the triggers. So, I set up one of it as 'analog pull - ADS', 'digital click - fire'. What if I want to fire from the hip? Would that work with that trigger, or I would have to use the other one?

Really looking forward to this. I have one of the early bird orders coming mid October.

I imagine that I will force myself to use it at first for everything even when sitting at my desk, as I will want to train the requisite muscle memory as soon as possible, otherwise realistically it won't get used.

Krejlooc

Banned
So you can have every finger under one button all the time? I'd like to see how it works.

Index fingers on shoulder buttons, middle fingers on dual stage triggers, pink and ring fingers on the grips, while thumbs are on the haptic pads (which themselves reside in two giant physical buttons)

Krejlooc, a question regarding the triggers. So, I set up one of it as 'analog pull - ADS', 'digital click - fire'. What if I want to fire from the hip? Would that work with that trigger, or I would have to use the other one?

You would need redundant mappings (I.e. A second "fire from the hip" button) or you could use a modified to change the behavior of the first stage of the dual stage trigger. So like, id you hold a shoulder button, then pressing the analog portion of the dual stage trigger doesnt activate your ads.

I think a playthrough of resident evil hd will be awesome with dual stage triggers as you can map the analog portion to readying your gun and the button to actually firing.

Mit-

Has anyone confirmed if you can mix and match these with 360 controllers?

Can I plug up a Steam controller, and 3 wireless 360 controllers, and have no issues playing 4 players on an Xinput game?

You would need redundant mappings (I.e. A second "fire from the hip" button) or you could use a modified to change the behavior of the first stage of the dual stage trigger. So like, id you hold a shoulder button, then pressing the analog portion of the dual stage trigger doesnt activate your ads.

I see. Regarding the gyro, do you know if you could you use modifiers with it too? And one question others been asking, is if the controller would charge batteries while wired. I know you have the old version, but maybe someone told you.

Can I plug up a Steam controller, and 3 wireless 360 controllers, and have no issues playing 4 players on an Xinput game?

from the blog post. Should be ironed out for the release.

When the overlay does work, getting out of it usually means the controller stops working all together for a second or two, and finally, the controller does not play well with other Xbox 360 controllers. Have not been able to get the Steam controller and a wired 360 controller both working at the same time, though it does work well with a PS4 game for those games that support it.

Krejlooc

Banned

You can do that. I have done that with a few games - I use steam controller while friends use xbox 360 pads.

What you couldnt do, with the prototype at least, was use two steam controllers at once in legacy mode, as they both would appear as the same keyboard and mouse. You could natively support two controllers at once, however.

Krejlooc

Banned
I see. Regarding the gyro, do you know if you could you use modifiers with it too? And one question others been asking, is if the controller would charge batteries while wired. I know you have the old version, but maybe someone told you.

The plan was to be able to push activate the imu, so I would aasume you could use another button as a modifier for the imu.

misogyny at its best 😏

Are you saying its lady like to have small Hands?

Ban.

jk but really the controller is looking great.
I have nearly bought it but I am waiting for GAF reviews when it releases. Really interested in how those trackpads feel in a FPS.

Nzyme32

Took a quick video of myself controlling my PC's bios with a steam controller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZS7ciw_mxs

sorry it's so dark, it's storming outside atm. Also, warning: portrait video.

Great. I actually got carried away with your other video on the Steam Controller while you pivot your thumb. That bodes well for a lot of games, maybe even dpad like movements for fighting games.

I think I've decided to test that out when I get the controller the only way I know how - load up Killer Instinct for SNES and try all the combos

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Krejlooc talked about it, it's in the link
Where this gets really cool is when you take this thing to a non-PC that isn't running steam: it still works. It's literally a keyboard and mouse. I've used my steam controller on a windows 98 PC - played System Shock 2 with it. I've used it on a playstation. I've used it on my mobile phone. I used it on my dreamcast. You can use it on anything that recognizes a keyboard or mouse, because it is a keyboard and mouse.

I don't get why Valve hasn't put this quote on the Steam Controller store page yet.

Luigiv

How is recharging your batteries in the controller a terrible idea???
Because there's no way the controller could actually differentiate between rechargeable and disposable batteries so what do you think is going to happen when you plug it in but there are alkalines in the chamber? I'll give you a hint, it starts with f and ends with ire.

Krejlooc

Banned
Uploading footage of the dreamcast using the steam controller. I normally use a Total control 5 to hook up a mouse to the dreamcast but I can't find it at the moment, so I have to use my innovation keyboard adapter and use the steam controller like a keyboard. I also normally use dreamshell when trying this out, but I don't have a copy burned at the moment so I just use the webbrowser for the demo. As a result, it demonstrates a strange bug when it constantly sends input from the 9 key on the steam controller, but I'm just merely trying to show that it indeed works on the dreamcast. With a total control 5, you can use it as either a keyboard or a mouse and it works just fine.

Video should be done uploading in about 20 minutes. After that, I'm going to do a video showing it on a Windows 98 PC from 17 years ago. Any other requests?

Krejlooc

Banned
lol, I thought it was your dresser creaking

Lol no, the things are actually audible in normal play. They sound like a mouse wheel when scrolling.

These things can theoretically be used to play music. When you first plugged in the prototype, it would play a small beeping tone to let you know it connected. I wanted to try and build a demo that would actually play music through the controller but never got around to it.

So, I get how the Steam Controller acts as an HID mouse when connected to a device other than a Steam-equipped PC. But how does the HID keyboard stuff work? There's no overlay to pop up on the screen, so how on earth would you use the controller as a keyboard?

Krejlooc

Banned
So, I get how the Steam Controller acts as an HID mouse when connected to a device other than a Steam-equipped PC. But how does the HID keyboard stuff work? There's no overlay to pop up on the screen, so how on earth would you use the controller as a keyboard?

It's not like a full replacement for a keyboard to type with, but rather it acts like keyboard input for games that can't use anything besides keyboard. So the left touch pad, by default, becomes WASD, and then all the other buttons become 0-9 (on the prototype, since the last firmware update, two of the buttons have become redundant, and the buttons under the touchpads no longer work).

So the idea is you can go into your game and remap the controls to those specific keys, so that you can use the controller like a keyboard input. It's not meant to be something you actually type with outside of steam.

That said, every version of windows since XP and most distros of linux come with on-screen keyboards for physically disabled people. If you bring those up, you can use the mouse portion of the steam controller as text input. I've done that from my couch on neogaf, in fact, when I've been lazy. Some of my post on this board have been typed with a steam controller using window's built in keyboard.

I have been sold since the prototype. I used my prototype up until I was no longer able to remap the keys in steam, otherwise I'd still be using it. I think the final version will be the single best controller on the market, period.

Keep in mind, it's a very different experience than using a normal controller. I don't doubt there will be a number of people who can't adapt, but I think an even larger number of people will get right away why this controller is so awesome.

Luigiv

There's this Wii U Pro controller that works with an adapter. Haven't tried, but worth looking into.

It's godly. Switching from a 360 controller to a Pro Controller was a revelation. The only downside is that the pro controller is useless for racing sims but that's what racing wheels are for.

If you're just after a standard controller I'd definitely recommend going with one. Just remember to update the firmware on the adapter (then hold down + & b for 3 seconds to fix the button layout).

FLAguy954

Great thread.

This is going to be my main controller and eventually, hopefully, my only controller. I will learn how to use it and consign my old habits to history. The ideas and concepts its trying to put forth will be worth the small amount of effort it will take.

I have it pre-ordered with Gamestop here in Ireland. Not sure if that means I have to wait till November. Anyone who's ordered outside of the US know if we get ours early as well?

This is how I feel.

I ready to move on from dual analog personally.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I am really hoping this controller ushers in the death of dual analogue controllers. Absolutely cannot wait for my pre-order to come in. I think the first thing I'll do is figure out a great control scheme for Age of Empires II then go to town.
It feels like more of a replacement for the trackball than the dual analog stick. I couldn't really do accurate 180s on the thing. And you're not going to get any auto aim either. I'm sure there's a learning curve but I'm not getting rid of my 360 pad any time soon.

It doesn't seem like a game changing FPS device. If anything, it's going to shine in genres that the gamepad has completely failed in, like RTS.

Krejlooc

Banned
Looks like I might be getting a final version of the steam controller shortly, when it arrives i'll be sure to put it through the paces and write a detailed review

sfried

I can see games like The Phantom Pain greatly benefitting from this, since Steam Controller combines the best aspects of a gamepad with analog stick with mouse aiming...

The only way this wouldbecome infinitely better is configurable gyro-aiming.

kami_sama

I can see games like The Phantom Pain greatly benefitting from this, since Steam Controller combines the best aspects of a gamepad with analog stick with mouse aiming...

I think it has gyro-aiming, like in splatoon.

Krejlooc

Banned

it has that

XDvlU8t.jpg

sfried

I think it has gyro-aiming, like in splatoon.
Oh boy, well now my interested has just been piqued!

Kinda sad with the loss on OnLive. I have a the microconsole unit still in my living room, and now I'm seriously contemplating on getting the Steam Link + Controller combo to get the full PC couch experience.
It doesn't look comfortable to hold

heathen
Sorry, but Nintendo's +Control Pads are still the best pads bar none. DualShock's chaffe my thumbs more than I can count.

sfried

Uh, two?

I'm so sorry :p
I meant everytime I used the D-pad. Sorry, I hate the pizza wedges.

Also, it is just me, or is this the closest controller we'll get to emulatig the GameCube layout? (due to the squishy-shoulder button + digital clickl)

Krejlooc

Banned
I meant everytime I used the D-pad. Sorry, I hate the pizza wedges.

Also, it is just me, or is this the closest controller we'll get to emulatig the GameCube layout? (due to the squishy-shoulder button + digital clickl)

The right touchpad is also a giant button, like the A button on the GCN controller.

kami_sama

One thing I haven't seen. If I add a nom-steam game, like GTAV, will I be able to use the profiles already on the community for the same game?

Krejlooc

Banned
One thing I haven't seen. If I add a nom-steam game, like GTAV, will I be able to use the profiles already on the community for the same game?

You could with the prototypes. It allowed you to submit profiles to the database even for non-steam games. At the same time, no program I ever added to steam ever had profiles downloaded. Given that there are only about 1500 prototypes out in the wild, however, that's not surprising. It made me wonder about XBMC, however, because surely I couldn't have been the only person who tested their controller out with it. Seems like something that many people would add to steam.

Branduil

i'm interested in one if only for the possibility that the left pad will be a better d-pad than my 360 controller

other PC gamepads suck and i hate sony d-pads so right now i'm kinda stuck

What kind of games do you usually play with the D-pad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom