• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Sophia

Valve should tally up the total amount of time the configuration is used by the community. Would help cut down on the first config out being the most popular.

I think this is difficult because there are so many factors that are involved. I've frequently gone down a list of the configurations to see which ones I like, but that doesn't mean I've used them. Furthermore, it's difficult to determine if someone is actually using that specific configuration, if they've modified it slightly (sensitivity and haptics, for example), or if they've modified it so much it's no longer the same configuration.

Echoplx

I'm trying to set up a dual stage trigger for Overwatch so that I can shoot and melee with the right trigger for Roadhog but it doesn't seem to register all the time which can be frustrating, I've tried different trigger styles but can't seem to get it to work consistently, which settings would be best for this effect?

Edit: Ok I think I just need to train myself not to slam the trigger down, works with a slow pull.

Paragon

I'm trying to set up a dual stage trigger for Overwatch so that I can shoot and melee with the right trigger for Roadhog but it doesn't seem to register all the time which can be frustrating, I've tried different trigger styles but can't seem to get it to work consistently, which settings would be best for this effect?

Edit: Ok I think I just need to train myself not to slam the trigger down, works with a slow pull.
If you always want the soft pull action to activate, use "simple threshold".
The other styles are various ways to bypass the soft pull action with a fast input.

Echoplx

If you always want the soft pull action to activate, use "simple threshold".
The other styles are various ways to bypass the soft pull action with a fast input.

Yeah I think the issue was just the inputs being too close together so only one was registering, is there any way to queue or delay bindings so that they always both trigger?

Aru

Playing Titan Quest using SC. It's nice but like when I played Diablo 3 last year, I find it a bit clunky. I vastly prefer native controller support for Diablo-likes.
My first game in the genre was Diablo on PS1 so that's probably why. Not a fan of KB/M controls in any game either.

Gladly I don't play RTS games anymore, because I think I wouldn't like them more with SC controls. Turn-based with native controller support feels better to me.

Nabs

I've yet to use my Steam Controller.

I can use it wirelessly with my Steam Link without that purchasable dongle, right?

Yeah. I think you just hold X+Steam Button to pair it. Then you can cycle between your Link and PC by holding A+Steam Button to turn it on.

I'm loving the steam controller so far, definitely an adjustment period from a dual shock 4, the d pad seems way more cumbersome in its size, but I've only played Witcher 3 on it. The battery life seems awesome.

Haven't tried Witcher 3, but can you quick-map items to the d-pad? If so, set the d-pad to radial without overlap, and turn off the deadzone. Bam, perfect for d-pad toolbars. Also feels really nice for menu navigation.

Afrocious

Yeah. I think you just hold X+Steam Button to pair it. Then you can cycle between your Link and PC by holding A+Steam Button to turn it on.

Awesome. Also I don't know how I feel about the right pad being used to control the camera in Skyrim. I have to keep flicking and the camera only turns ever so slightly.

Raise the sensitvity 'til it feels right! I personally find it best when you can do a full 180 from the left side to the right side of the pad. You can also lower trackball friction, if you want. Medium is my favorite, but low is fine too.

Awesome. Also I don't know how I feel about the right pad being used to control the camera in Skyrim. I have to keep flicking and the camera only turns ever so slightly.
Normally the recommended setup is to set the in-game sensitivity for camera controls (either corresponding mouse, or 'mouse joystick', depending), and then set the sensitivity until desired with the controller's settings. I've found it works well.

Haven't tried Witcher 3, but can you quick-map items to the d-pad?
I've tried - I tried to create a radial menu to select signs, and it worked, but what I really wanted was something that would cast the signs immediately instead of basically replacing the LB radial menu. Ideally the radial menu would press the sign hotkey (1, 2, 3 etc) then immediately after press RT. I couldn't figure out how to do that.

Paragon

I've tried - I tried to create a radial menu to select signs, and it worked, but what I really wanted was something that would cast the signs immediately instead of basically replacing the LB radial menu. Ideally the radial menu would press the sign hotkey (1, 2, 3 etc) then immediately after press RT. I couldn't figure out how to do that.
Try setting up multiple "on press" activators with a startup delay before subsequent actions.
It would be good if they could add a "macro" mode for this.

Yeah I think the issue was just the inputs being too close together so only one was registering, is there any way to queue or delay bindings so that they always both trigger?
You can add delays via the activators menu, but I don't know if that's what you're looking for.

Try setting up multiple "on press" activators with a startup delay before subsequent actions.
Yeah, I can understand why they may not do macros, but this sort of thing would be really useful for oddly-constrained games. I've only ever used activators for turbo, so might have a look at those.

shiv_

Rather than using it like a trackball, just hold your thumb on the pad in the direction you want the camera to turn... I had the same thing going on with ABZU, then I realized it wasn't set up as a 'trackball' style of movement.

Nzyme32

Rather than using it like a trackball, just hold your thumb on the pad in the direction you want the camera to turn... I had the same thing going on with ABZU, then I realized it wasn't set up as a 'trackball' style of movement.

I made and uploaded a "mouse-like" trackball implementation for replacing the right stick. The game at default with mouse-like stick is abysmally low sensitivity. I had to max out the possible sensitivity in the Steam Config tool to get it to something I liked, and that is how I play now. Not a fan of attempting analogue stick camera with Abzu

Ploid 3.0

Steam Controller + Blade & Soul = Magnifique. I can now animation cancel with ease! One button takes care of it, a trigger. haha.

I posted this on the official Steam thread, but I feel like it might be important to post here as well, since most SC users are probably opted in.

If you're opted into the client beta, I'd recommend avoiding the latest release if possible. It's a rare case, but a couple of games that worked fine earlier today no longer boot up, with a Steam API error displaying instead. Castle Crashers and Shantae: Pirate's Curse are the two giving me issues. Tried verifying the games, reinstalling the games, rebooting my PC, playing outside BPM, and disabling the Steam Overlay, but nothing's worked for me so far.

It could just be my PC, but I've gone through several recommended solutions since that post, and nothing's worked for me.

Ploid 3.0

Thankfully I'm patient and am not in steam beta stuff. Hope it gets resolved fast, and hopefully it won't take contacting valve support to fix things for users.

Khezu

Finally giving my steam controller a shot since I bought a steam link.

First game I am trying is Dragons Dogma.

The Gyro aiming works really well and I really dig it.

The biggest issue so far is camera control, it just feels unwieldy and there are a lot of settings and things to look at.

Any basic tips for 3rd person camera controls? Or is it something I just have to get used to?

I'm glad I started my Shantae session right before that went out. It looks like it's fixed now.
Yep. Opted in and out of the beta client, and everything's fixed now!

The biggest issue so far is camera control, it just feels unwieldy and there are a lot of settings and things to look at.

Any basic tips for 3rd person camera controls? Or is it something I just have to get used to?
All you really need to worry about is adjusting sensitivity if it's feeling heavy. Raise that until it feels right; I think it's really good set so that you can do a 180 degree turn moving your thumb from the left side to the right side of the pad. Make sure you use the trackball feature often, and don't set friction any lower than medium. Also, raise vertical trackball friction all the way. I played like five hours of Dogma, and I have to give props to Capcom for finally allowing gamepad+mouse in one of their games. Just wish it had become a trend with their releases. :'/

atr0cious

Finally giving my steam controller a shot since I bought a steam link.

First game I am trying is Dragons Dogma.

The Gyro aiming works really well and I really dig it.

check the advanced settings, especially for gyro, try turning up the minimum movement setting which will control how much you effort you have to use per input. Currently going through mgsv, and turning down that, mouse sensitivity, and turning up smoothing helps alot.

I tinkered with this over the weekend and managed to create a pretty good touch menu (Witcher 3, for anyone who missed the conversation earlier).

I used 9 touch items (not in a radial menu, as I wanted to keep the original d-pad shortcuts for the consumables in the same places) - one each for the five signs, one for each sword, and for two consumables as well (press once for 1/2, double press for 3/4).

For each of the signs, I created two activators on each touch item. The first is "start press", which presses the corresponding sign keyboard hotkey (3-7), and the second activator presses RT on "release press". This way you can quickly tap the relevant area and the sign is immediately cast, or if you want you can hold to prepare and release at a critical moment. Using the controller button to cast the sign means the prompts only change to keyboard for a split second, so doesn't get in the way.

I made the change part way through a session, and it immediately changed how I play. Instead of mostly using Quen and just using my sword, I'm casting signs all over the place. It's amazing and exactly how I wanted it to work.

Nzyme32

My controller likes to boot into BPM occasionally when I turn it on, is this a known bug? I haven't seen any settings to correct this.

Having a lot of problems with this sort of thing recently.

Anytime I turn the controller on or attempt a steam chord the guide button also activates as well, breaking some chores or simply messing around with the overlay / BPM opening also

Also I'm pretty fed up of the BPM web browser being broken at random or consistently. For example, going to the Google page will not allow any input from the Steam Controller, you have to reload the page again for anything to work. After a certain number of searches, everything on the page becomes unresponsive; sometimes a page reload works, sometimes not. The list is so long. I end up having to just use my phone instead

Gren

Picked one up during the winter sale, but I think I'm gonna have to send it back. For accuracy's sake, I use the tip of my thumb rather than the ball to move the right trackpad. After 30 minutes or so of having it bent like that, it starts to hurt.

It's a shame, after calibrating it just right, I really enjoyed using it.

Nzyme32

Picked one up during the winter sale, but I think I'm gonna have to send it back. For accuracy's sake, I use the tip of my thumb rather than the ball to move the right trackpad. After 30 minutes or so of having it bent like that, it starts to hurt.

Well obviously, lol. But it feels so much less accurate that way.

Using the literal tip of your thumb is a bad idea, especially if you are forcing that angle. You shouldn't have to do that. I don't think it should be used like an analogue stick either. The controller is shaped in such a way that you naturally have your thumb pointed a bit down. It shouldn't be uncomfortable in any way.

Well obviously, lol. But it feels so much less accurate that way.
Yeah, I used to do this for the exact same reason. Then I realized having a high trackpad sensitivity is a better solution. Setting it to 20 ticks and then adjusting it to your preference through the in-game settings adds a lot of resolution to aiming on the pad, which makes it much more forgiving when you rest your thumb naturally. Then it's just a matter of getting thumb tilts into muscle memory. Worth noting that I use the trackpad exclusively, and I feel its totally viable when configured that way, but it's all a matter of giving it some time to sink in.

Gren

Yeah, I used to do this for the exact same reason. Then I realized having a high trackpad sensitivity is a better solution. Setting it to 20 ticks and then adjusting it to your preference through the in-game settings adds a lot of resolution to aiming on the pad, which makes it much more forgiving when you rest your thumb naturally. Then it's just a matter of getting thumb tilts into muscle memory. Worth noting that I use the trackpad exclusively, and I feel its totally viable when configured that way, but it's all a matter of giving it some time to sink in.
Hmm, interesting idea. I'll give it a try. Also remember some suggesting that the gyro motion controls assisted in precision accuracy, & I've yet to muck about with that.

Hmm, interesting idea. I'll give it a try. Also remember some suggesting that the gyro motion controls assisted in precision accuracy, & I've yet to muck about with that.
If you haven't yet, you absolutely should, especially before considering a refund. It's the way most people use the device, and for good reason; it's easier to set up and learn than the trackpad. Personally, I don't use it because there's a lot of motion involved, and requires you to position the device somewhere stable. These really are just nitpicks, though! I know I'd put up with it if it improved my aiming while using it in tandem with the trackpad, but I really can't say it does at this point.

Paragon

With the possible exception of mouse regions, the controller is tracking the relative position of the spot that is being touched.
Using the tip of your thumb instead of the pad should not make that any more accurate.
And if you feel that you need to use the controller like that, I'd guess that you have the sensitivity of the touchpad set far too high.

I would also say that the most important thing for comfort with the controller is setting the mouse rotation correctly.
For me, having that slider set all the way to the right is the most natural movement for my thumb to make when turning.

You will probably also find that whatever you consider to be "just right" at the moment is going to change.
When I go back to the first games that I played using the controller, I am always surprised that I even managed to finish the game with a profile set up that way.

Using high sensitivity with an input device is favoring speed over accuracy.
The more physical movement you have to make for any on-screen movement, the more accurate you can be with it.
However it is recommended that you reduce any in-game mouse sensitivity to the minimum and adjust sensitivity on the controller.
And the opposite is true for mouse-like joystick inputs. There, the in-game gamepad sensitivity should be set to the maximum available option.

However it is recommended that you reduce any in-game mouse sensitivity to the minimum and adjust sensitivity on the controller.
Yeah, that's what I was saying. High trackpad sensitivity so there's no loss in pointer data, low sensitivity in-game to suit your preference. I feel setting it so that you do a 180° turn doing a swipe from the left side of the right side of the pad is the sweet spot between precision and range. Enough to reach enemies within your line of sight, and then it's just a matter of tilting your thumb for smaller adjustments.

I would also say that the most important thing for comfort with the controller is setting the mouse rotation correctly.
For me, having that slider set all the way to the right is the most natural movement for my thumb to make when turning.
I don't think there's a correct rotation setting, just an ideal one that differs from user to user. Probably the most subjective setting, especially in comparison to filters like smoothing and acceleration. I personally set it to 20 ticks, so that it's perfectly centered. Anything else just throws me off. I actually find the slight angle forced in lizard mode bothersome, but it is what it is.

Paragon

Yeah, that's what I was saying. High trackpad sensitivity so there's no loss in pointer data, low sensitivity in-game to suit your preference. I feel setting it so that you do a 180° turn doing a swipe from the left side of the right side of the pad is the sweet spot between precision and range. Enough to reach enemies within your line of sight, and then it's just a matter of tilting your thumb for smaller adjustments.
That's how I set things up when I got the controller a year ago, but I find that far too sensitive now.
I find it best to turn up the acceleration and set it so that slow swipes turn 90° and fast swipes turn 180°.
Trackball mode is set to low/no friction, with the vertical friction turned all the way up so that swipes only spin the camera horizontally.
I combine this with gyro aiming as well, of course. Touchpad for general movement, and the gyro for aiming. (usually activated with LT)

I don't think there's a correct rotation setting, just an ideal one that differs from user to user. Probably the most subjective setting, especially in comparison to filters like smoothing and acceleration. I personally set it to 20 ticks, so that it's perfectly centered. Anything else just throws me off. I actually find the slight angle forced in lizard mode bothersome, but it is what it is.
Yes, I meant that they should find what works for them.
For me, it's the highest angle because then my thumb is only doing a sideways motion to turn and not bending at all.
It took a few hours to adjust but I'm glad that I made the change as it's a lot more comfortable.
Again; when I first got the controller I did what you are doing now and set it so that the angle was perfectly horizontal. It's just more comfortable and more consistent once you get the angle right.

I'm not trying to say that you're wrong, just sharing my experience after using one for a year or so.

I find it best to turn up the acceleration and set it so that slow swipes turn 90° and fast swipes turn 180°... I combine this with gyro aiming as well, of course.
You probably find it best since you use gyro. Filtering the trackpad is viable when both available pointer controls are used in tandem, since gyro will pick up the work when it comes to adjusting your aim, but using the trackpad alone, acceleration/smoothing will hold you back. I've owned the device since October 2015, and I spent half of the time between then and now applying acceleration and smoothing. You can adapt to these filters, but at the cost of extra effort when aiming. I never noticed a legitimate improvement until I just turned those off. That said, these settings probably make no difference for most, since gyro is so popular.

I'm not trying to say that you're wrong, just sharing my experience after using one for a year or so.
Likewise! I just enjoy talking about this device a lot, haha. It's fun to share experiences since everyone ends up using theirs so differently.

Uriah

Did anyone else who got a free copy of Watch Dogs 2 from the Nvidia giveaway manage to get it working? I tried the variety of guides online and none of them are working :(

So I'm assuming Unique/Shared configurations between multiple controllers is still a WIP feature? If I don't finish my config before loading a game with more than one controller, or decide to do changes to my config down the road, Steam Controller configuration locks me out of setting controllers back into the shared configuration state. You can work around it by saving your recent config, setting every controller to a unique config, and loading up your configuration onto each, but then what's the point of the shared config option? Or am I doing something wrong here?

EDIT: Another issue I've found recently is that if you set an activator on one of the face buttons, it occasionally disables the other face buttons during use. Only way around this is to turn the Interruptable setting off on all of them individually.

Nymerio

Does anyone know if it's possible to configure the controller to activate two functions with one input? For example: Is if possible to configure the analog stick so that it acts as both left and right stick? I'm playing Hive Jump and I'd like to have one action set where I can run and aim with just the one stick.

Does anyone know if it's possible to configure the controller to activate two functions with one input? For example: Is if possible to configure the analog stick so that it acts as both left and right stick? I'm playing Hive Jump and I'd like to have one action set where I can run and aim with just the one stick.
The way the controller api handles it, no, it isn't possible right now. I wish they'd allow you to map specific axis to the analog inputs on the controller. I can't think of many use cases, but being able to do stuff like mapping the triggers on the left analog stick would be nice to have just in case.

Nymerio

The way the controller api handles it, no, it isn't possible right now. I wish they'd allow you to map specific axis to the analog inputs on the controller. I can't think of many use cases, but being able to do stuff like mapping the triggers on the left analog stick would be nice to have just in case.

Yeah, I'd thought as much. I wanted it to control kinda like Metroid so I can aim up and down the direction I'm facing. Maybe it's something they'll think about adding later.

Ploid 3.0

Steam Big Picture eats up up to or more than 40% of my CPU usage, and when I'm running a game it sits at 30%. This has to be a bug, but I don't know how to get rid of it. Wow, what the heck.

3nC1xBU.png

It seems to start when I use the steam button to look at my bindings and back up to the menu that is right before the controller display screen. I'm not in a steam beta.

Top Bottom