• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

terrible

Banned
Is there any way to use mouse look with RE7? The choppyness of the mouse joystick option even with acceleration off in-game is not ideal to say the least. I'll have to use an Xbox One controller I guess.

Agreed, and thank you for the touchmenuicons. I'd love it if more devs would do the same.

yep, definitely.

Do we know if touchmenuicons are locked to a single game? Because if not, and enough devs start doing it, it would be awesome to mix and match them for other game configs.

@PurpleMoustache:

The Steam client has two folders that it draws touch/radial menu icons from:

path\to\Steam\tenfoot\resource\images\library\controller\binding_icons

path\to\SomeGame\TouchMenuIcons

The first path is in the client itself, and any images that are here are available for ALL games.

The second path is provided by the developer and is specific to their game and appears only in configs for that specific game.

You are totally able to just dump whatever images you want in the first folder for your own personal use, of course that's a bit fiddly and probably won't survive a steam client re-install.

atr0cious

Anyone else in the for honor beta? I've got one started already, but looking to craft the perfect control config for it and wondering if anyone else has made one as well. The feel of a stick can't be replicated, so making sure the right touchpad feels right is my main issue. Spent the whole alpha test working on that and it's not quite there but it's close.

Anybody else have the Steam Controller configurator load forever when trying to access it for specific games? It never opens and sits on the loading screen with the three rectangles.
It happens for the original Binding of Isaac and Victor Vran, for any controller and even after reinstalling Steam. Tried it through right clicking the game title, the overlay, and through Big Picture.

Paragon

Anybody else have the Steam Controller configurator load forever when trying to access it for specific games? It never opens and sits on the loading screen with the three rectangles.
It happens for the original Binding of Isaac and Victor Vran, for any controller and even after reinstalling Steam. Tried it through right clicking the game title, the overlay, and through Big Picture.

It's working fine here. Try opting out and back in to the Steam Beta?

Nzyme32

Beta update

Steam Controller
- Controllers will no longer time out and power off while the configurator is open.
- Added mouse dampening option for Mouse Region mode.
- Added power-off timeout functionality for PS4 controllers connected over wireless.
- Fixed X-Input controllers that were connected prior to login getting incorrect configuration settings due to not having account data.
- Fixed some inconsistencies in offline mode support.
- Fixed double binding panel when opening up built in configurations after opening a game's configurator.

Thank you Valve folk.

I need some help GAF,

I decided I am finally going to delve into The Witcher 3. I bought it around launch via GOG but have added it to Steam. When I configure the Steam controller and launch the game it doesn't work correctly at all. No matter what Steam controller configurations I use it doesn't work. I even tried to replicate the Xbox One controller template but to no avail. Not really sure what to do. Any help?

atr0cious

I need some help GAF,

I decided I am finally going to delve into The Witcher 3. I bought it around launch via GOG but have added it to Steam. When I configure the Steam controller and launch the game it doesn't work correctly at all. No matter what Steam controller configurations I use it doesn't work. I even tried to replicate the Xbox One controller template but to no avail. Not really sure what to do. Any help?

Is it retaining your Desktop config when you launch the game, Labomba? I've been having that issue lately with non-steam games.
If this is the case, you need to make the desktop profile your game profile. That means creating an action set for using the mouse and menu and the game set for while in game. I have to do this for ubisoft games and formerly overwatch.

solomon

Did the steam controller stop working in overwatch for anybody else? (I toy around with it once in a while for gyro)

Did the steam controller stop working in overwatch for anybody else? (I toy around with it once in a while for gyro)
Worked fine for me this morning. Is the Steam Overlay appearing in-game for you? Sometimes it doesn't for me, and I have to restart the game to get it working.

AzaK

So is there a consensus on the Steam Controller for those who want to game without a keyboard/mouse? Is it worth getting over say a standard 360 controller?

Mailbox

So is there a consensus on the Steam Controller for those who want to game without a keyboard/mouse? Is it worth getting over say a standard 360 controller?

If you have a lot of patience and time to learn not only how to use it but how to take advantage of everything it has to offer, absolutely.

It took me a few months to really get accustomed to the SC because of the touch pads and the ergonomics. The grip buttons and gyro are things I wouldn't dare give up for a 360 controller.

Once I really got used to gyro aiming and aiming with the pads, playing with normal controllers felt straight up weird :p

datamage

I tinkered with this over the weekend and managed to create a pretty good touch menu (Witcher 3, for anyone who missed the conversation earlier).

I used 9 touch items (not in a radial menu, as I wanted to keep the original d-pad shortcuts for the consumables in the same places) - one each for the five signs, one for each sword, and for two consumables as well (press once for 1/2, double press for 3/4).

For each of the signs, I created two activators on each touch item. The first is "start press", which presses the corresponding sign keyboard hotkey (3-7), and the second activator presses RT on "release press". This way you can quickly tap the relevant area and the sign is immediately cast, or if you want you can hold to prepare and release at a critical moment. Using the controller button to cast the sign means the prompts only change to keyboard for a split second, so doesn't get in the way.

I made the change part way through a session, and it immediately changed how I play. Instead of mostly using Quen and just using my sword, I'm casting signs all over the place. It's amazing and exactly how I wanted it to work.

I started tinkering with your sign usage and it works great. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to make it so the alternate cast works. (For the signs that have a 2nd effect when you hold RT.)

WillyFive

It's far more capable than an Xbox controller and can play games the 360 wouldn't dream of being able to play, but there are a few usage cases where it is not as good as the 360 (games that require a real D-Pad or games outside Steam).

I have both the Steam and the 360 controller, I switch back and forth depending on which game I am playing; but if you could only have one, the Steam controller is the better value assuming you don't play anything from Origin (as Origin blocks the Steam controller for some dumb reason).

AzaK

It's far more capable than an Xbox controller and can play games the 360 wouldn't dream of being able to play, but there are a few usage cases where it is not as good as the 360 (games that require a real D-Pad or games outside Steam).

I have both the Steam and the 360 controller, I switch back and forth depending on which game I am playing; but if you could only have one, the Steam controller is the better value assuming you don't play anything from Origin (as Origin blocks the Steam controller for some dumb reason).

Thanks. I'm currently tending towards the steam controller. I do have a PS4 controller too and I have heard that this now works in Steam. Not sure how that would fare.

Unai

Thanks. I'm currently tending towards the steam controller. I do have a PS4 controller too and I have heard that this now works in Steam. Not sure how that would fare.

Since you have a ds4 I would say that a Steam Controller is a no brainer. Just use it in the rare cases that you'd want a real dpad.

I started tinkering with your sign usage and it works great. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to make it so the alternate cast works. (For the signs that have a 2nd effect when you hold RT.)
Yeah, it doesn't quite cover everything, and in the heat of battle I sometimes hit the wrong thing.

I rarely use the alternate sign modes anyway. You could try selecting the normal way (LB) or with the touch menu, then use RT as normal. You could try setting a mode shift with perhaps the right paddle in some way, but I'm not sure how you'd make it any better than just using RT. There don't seem to be any keyboard commands for it, which makes it a bit tough.

As a standard controller it's fine (now I'm used to it I like it as much or more than the alternatives), but if you want to play games not designed for a controller, you really need the Steam Controller. For instance, I've been able to play Age of Empires II with reasonable proficiency.

Yeah, the d-pad isn't great but nowadays for me this is a very minimal problem.

solomon

Worked fine for me this morning. Is the Steam Overlay appearing in-game for you? Sometimes it doesn't for me, and I have to restart the game to get it working.

Neither are working for me :\. The mouse and menus work, but past that the controller is not responding with overwatch.

If this is the case, you need to make the desktop profile your game profile. That means creating an action set for using the mouse and menu and the game set for while in game. I have to do this for ubisoft games and formerly overwatch.

Is it retaining your Desktop config when you launch the game, Labomba? I've been having that issue lately with non-steam games.

Sorry for the super late reply, fellas. I found out that MSI Afterburner was causing my Steam Controller to not work correctly with certain games. Just wanted to provide the answer just in case anybody else comes across this issue. Many thanks and cheers my friends.

Paragon

Sorry for the super late reply, fellas. I found out that MSI Afterburner was causing my Steam Controller to not work correctly with certain games. Just wanted to provide the answer just in case anybody else comes across this issue. Many thanks and cheers my friends.
Unwinder intentionally broke compatibility with the 64-bit Steam Overlay because he was implementing a workaround to get Afterburner working and he wanted Valve to whitelist it instead.
I believe he has now rescinded or changed that approach.
There was a config tweak which would get it working again, but it looks like the latest RTSS beta should now be compatible with the Steam Overlay again using delayed injection. It also adds Vulkan support.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=5389057#post5389057

I messed with my settings again, haha. I think this is it, though. I cut my sensitivity by 1/4th, so it's now at a 135° cone. I decided on it after playing Overwatch with M+KB for a bit, and realizing I was compromising too much with my current SC sensitivity.

This actually worked out for the better! I still have good coverage over my POV, which was my main concern, but now it's much easier to line up far away shots with hitscan weapons. And for anyone out of my range, it's just a matter of flicking over to them, like usual. If it wasn't for trackball mode, I don't think the pad would work at all in shooters, so props to Valve for coming up with it.

I've also been playing through Samorost 3 with the controller, and it works really well, just like Cities: Skylines. Feels good to be able sit back and play pointer-centered games like these on a TV at a distance without any compromises.

Is there a way to combat the issue of games where one half of the Steam Controller is a normal gamepad and the other half is a mouse, so when I move around the world with the stick it shows me A/B/X/Y icons, but the second I want to look around it changes it to "Shift", "E" and whatever.

Is there a way to force everything to just be gamepad buttons but still keep whatever preset there developers have made for the games profile?

Paragon

Is there a way to combat the issue of games where one half of the Steam Controller is a normal gamepad and the other half is a mouse, so when I move around the world with the stick it shows me A/B/X/Y icons, but the second I want to look around it changes it to "Shift", "E" and whatever.
Is there a way to force everything to just be gamepad buttons but still keep whatever preset there developers have made for the games profile?
You have to create an all-gamepad binding with the Mouse-Like Joystick option, or an all-KB&M binding if the game doesn't have an option to lock the prompts to one or the other.
A few games have the option hidden in a config file but unfortunately most do not.
Very frustrating that even newer games which include a default profile for the controller often get this wrong.

datamage

Is there a way to remove the Steam Controller prompts when playing The Witcher 3? (And reverting them back to the reg XB1 button prompts?)

9ndd7GXl.jpg

Finally figured out why Steam would occasionally load into BPM when turning on my controller

Or not, this just affects the in-game menu. The search for a solution continues.

duppolo

guys to play something like dark souls whats the best config for right pad? i mean relaxed aim, or one of the other option? thanks!

The start press and release press activators are quite unreliable when it comes to switching action set, at least for me when I used them with my 360 controller (i wanted to get a steam controller, but circumstances forbid me so).

I set Action Set 1 so that when i hold down right trigger, it will switch to Action Set 2 using start press activators. In Action Set 2, i set that releasing the right trigger will switch it back to Action Set 1. It works for the most part, but sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes when i release the trigger, it wouldn't go back to Action Set 1, so I have to press the trigger again.

Is this the problem with anyone else?

Also, I want to know what the number of the double tap time and the turbo's repeat rate represent. The double tap time is set to 0.120 by default, does that mean i have to double tap within 0.12 of a second? Turbo's repeat rate is set to about 0.900 by default, with 1.000 is the fastest repeat rate; if i want my mouse to click 6 time per second using the turbo, what repeat rate should i set?

Top Bottom