• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Jinkies

Eh, a revision will happen. They've discussed doing it eventually, and there's definitely room for improvement. If your bumpers are stiff to the point of discomfort, maybe there is an issue with your controller. For a point of reference, my bumpers are a little less tight than a right pad click, which takes a bit of effort, but a reasonable amount. I've also been through four controllers at this point, so if they were generally that bad, I would've noticed. I've let my younger siblings use my SC as well, and they've never complained about the bumpers. Valve has been pretty loose with replacing an SC in my experience. Maybe you want to give that a shot?
No, they are literally that bad, and many people agree. The bumpers, trackpads, and grips are all very difficult to press, especially with repetition.

No, they are literally that bad, and many people agree. The bumpers, trackpads, and grips are all very difficult to press, especially with repetition.
They definitely have a tight click, but there are just as many people who don't experience it to that degree, and use them fine for traditional bumper tasks. If they were busted in design as-is, I think it would've been a more unanimous complaint from the community. I'm not just lying to save face, I've no reason to. The controller itself definitely isn't perfect, and I have plenty of complaints myself. They're just not that tight from my experience. I think my confusion here is warranted.

Agreed, SC is a terrible gamepad.
Thank goodness for subjectivity. If it was just straight-up terrible, it'd be dead in the water right now. I just find it weird when people straight up dismiss the device despite the active community around it.

I can't imagine playing Bayonetta or similar games on Steam Controller,
Well yeah, when nobody really makes an active effort to properly support it, I'm sure that must be difficult. Even people natively supporting it just throw traditional gamepad defaults, instead of working with the controller's intricacies.

Knurek

It's an amazing wireless kb+m combo though. I can't imagine playing Bayonetta or similar games on Steam Controller, but at the same time I can't imagine playing VNs or PnC adventure games on a standard gamepad, and both of there are amazing with SC.

If your bumpers are stiff to the point of discomfort, maybe there is an issue with your controller.
No, I honestly think it's more of a personal thing than a controller defect. Like how some people's hands start to hurt when using handheld systems like the DS or 3DS, but I never had issues like that. It's just something that certain people are able to adjust to easier than others.

I'm sure if I forced myself to use it as my only controller for a few months I'd probably get more used to it. It wasn't even the main reason I stopped using it for ME:A (the game wouldn't register holding down the bumpers correctly to charge powers when it switched from gamepad to keyboard inputs). If it had worked properly, I'd probably have fought through the stiffness in favor of the improved aiming. But because of that issue I decided to sacrifice the good aiming in favor of using my powers correctly. So either way I had to adjust to something, whether it was stiff bumpers, or readjusting back to less accurate analog stick aiming.

And while I'm sure Valve is planning and maybe even working on a revision of the controller, I also believe they're planning and working on Half-Life 3 and other single player games or games ending in 3, but I don't think they're actually planning on releasing them in a timely manner. :(

They loosen up after continued use. Definitely too stiff to start with but it's been my main controller for around 18 months now and they are mostly fine - the bumpers are definitely fine.

Personally disagree. Has its problems and a very steep learning curve, but I like it a lot.

Nzyme32

Personally disagree. Has its problems and a very steep learning curve, but I like it a lot.

Yeah, same. I'm still using it for everything. Recent games I've been playing with it include Nier, Bayonetta, Shadow of Mordor, Hollow Knight, Shovel Knight, N++, Brigador and Ikaruga. All of them are awesome to play with it, even the "dpad" which I'm pretty happy with, though I'd like it to be less stiff. Rarely do I do 6hr+ sessions, but I did with Hollow Knight since I got so into it, which did get fatiguing with the late game stuff

I've had my controller for Little over a year now and it definitely becomes less stiff as time goes on. It's really more of a adjustment period then using it to it's full potential.

Playing Nier and Bayonetta on it have been some of the Best Action game experiences i've had.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Imma ask this dumb question here, since my couch is comfy.

I have a Titan X Pascal PC hooked to a 85 inch 4K tv, and Steam games look phenomenal. Crisp and amazing. But Steam BPM UI looks blurry as hell, and I can't figure out where to set the resolution. So how do I set it to 4K.

I have a Titan X Pascal PC hooked to a 85 inch 4K tv, and Steam games look phenomenal. Crisp and amazing. But Steam BPM UI looks blurry as hell, and I can't figure out where to set the resolution. So how do I set it to 4K.

You can't as far as I know. The highest it goes to is 1080p. The resolution setting is in the settings menu under DISPLAY.

They really need to make a 4K option now that 4K TVs are becoming more common. The added clarity and sharpness would be welcome.

Nabs

Try launching Steam with the launch option fulldesktopres?

Chittagong

Gold Member
You can't as far as I know. The highest it goes to is 1080p. The resolution setting is in the settings menu under DISPLAY.

They really need to make a 4K option now that 4K TVs are becoming more common. The added clarity and sharpness would be welcome.

Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

Mad, I'd guess a bigger part of PC monitors than TVs are > 1080P

belmonkey

Steam Client Beta - April 19

Windows
Improved font rendering for Unicode chat text to better match with other platforms

Steam Controller
Added desktop mode Detail View Link to edit Controller Configuration if a controller is connected.
Added time-stamp to personal configurations in the configuration browser.
Improved precision of Gyro.
Fixed a bug with localized Title and Description of official configurations.

Not sure in what way they improved the gyro, but I have yet to try it.

Nete

I've been having issues with the right trigger, as at times it doesn't seem to get full input on how much I'm pressing it on a soft press (before the click). For instance, in Rocket League the car would suddenly pass from full to medium speed or even stop unless I go for a full click press (which activates the boost).

Does anyone know of similar problems? And solutions? :p

EDIT: Welp, wait. Seems I'm not the only one. Time to check and mess around. https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamContr...steam_controller_right_trigger_soft_pull_not/

EDIT2: Solved. It was exactly what the guy answering the Reddit thread says. Fucking betas messing with everything :p

Sophia

Feature I most want to see right now: Touch release without mode shift end. A lot of my configurations would be perfect if I could make them ignore the mode shift. : \

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Any ideas, gang? I've switched batteries and it still only lasts ten seconds. It works wired.

If they are from the same set of batteries, they could have gone bad at the same time.

Try another pair? Or maybe try a pair of non-rechargeables? See if the problem persists.

If they are from the same set of batteries, they could have gone bad at the same time.

Try another pair? Or maybe try a pair of non-rechargeables? See if the problem persists.

I realized, "We have the technology!" and got out my multimeter. All batteries tested at their proper voltages.

Something clicked in my brain and I thought to remove and reconnect the dongle. That was the problem. Odd, as the tower in inside my desk inaccessible to be bumped.

It's a good feeling to work out a problem.

belmonkey

I kinda wish I had a USB NES controller to play around with in Steam to see how much could be done with the software. I tried to emulate the feeling by using a DS4 with bindings only on the d-pad and X and Square buttons, which I used to try some healing in Warcraft, but it just doesn't quite feel the same without the right controller.

TheRed

Nice! Is it native support?

Yes there is Native Support but it wasn't working. Made my own and it was working fine. Then I found those options and Steam Controller support option was off, I assume putting it on now will let the Native Configs they made work. I will give them a try later but from looking at it seems like someone there knows what they're doing with the SC.

Nzyme32

Very nice option in Prey. Never expected to actually see it anytime soon.

33643520013_3e9c6dc41d_h.jpg

Very nice. Kind of amazes me that they can get the perf right and some of these features yet some how miss the FOV slider...

Yes there is Native Support but it wasn't working. Made my own and it was working fine. Then I found those options and Steam Controller support option was off, I assume putting it on now will let the Native Configs they made work. I will give them a try later but from looking at it seems like someone there knows what they're doing with the SC.

Ah that's a shame. Will pick it up soon and hopefully the native support will be in action. Loved Doom with the SC; was very surprised at how well it worked "out of the box", so hoping for the same with Prey but to suit its gameplay

TheRed

Very nice. Kind of amazes me that they can get the perf right and some of these features yet some how miss the FOV slider...

Ah that's a shame. Will pick it up soon and hopefully the native support will be in action. Loved Doom with the SC; was very surprised at how well it worked "out of the box", so hoping for the same with Prey but to suit its gameplay

Yeah FOV slider is needed. Native support I think is already good, just have to go into options first and turn on the steam controller one then restart the game. Haven't played since I found that option but I saw someone else say it worked.

I hope Bethesda themselves are taking note. Fallout 4 would've been incredible with native support, but as is, it's so clunky with a KB+M configuration. I'll definitely show my support asap, though I've got some other games to finish first.

Nzyme32

8/5/17

Steam Controller
  • Fixed long-press activator toggle option not functioning properly.
  • Fixed a case where closing the on-screen keyboard in Big Picture would not return to the proper controls.
  • Manual registration in Big Picture is no longer required for new controllers. Personalization and changes to registration can still be made via the Controller Settings in Big Picture.
  • Games which use the Steam Configurator natively for 3rd Party Controllers can now opt those controllers into support without the user having to manually do so.
  • Fix for a case where a cache for offline configurations could be corrupted.
  • 3rd Party Controllers no longer have to be disconnected and reconnected when opting into/out of Steam Configuration support. Games can still be individually opted out of support via the game’s controller settings panel.
  • Fix for In-Home Streaming from Linux PC to Steam Link or another Linux PC with Steam Controller Wireless Receivers connected to both devices.
  • Fixed Linux mouse button assignments for Forward and Backwards
  • Fixed On-Screen Keyboard being disabled in windowed non-Steam Games
  • Fixed Non-Steam game configs not being applied if controller is power cycled
  • Fixed unexpected input when importing Gyro configs for devices without Gyro
  • Simplified UI for DPad mode on DS4 Dpad
  • Changed “Add a Steam Controller” button to only appear when a Wireless Receiver is present.
  • Added “Recover Steam Controller Firmware” button to walk users through recovering a device via mass storage update.
  • Fixed Steam Controller Support tool getting stuck on the “Press the Left Trigger” step

KyleCross

I just bought a steam controller for the sole purpose of using my computer without a keyboard and mouse. I game on console and not PC, I got it for a more lounging experience on streaming sites and the like. Question I have is; you customize the controller on Steam but it appears you have to have steam open in order to keep the controller like that? I want the heptic feedback and light off which I set in Steam, but the moment Steam closes that all comes back. So there's no way to make it "stick" without steam running?

Sophia

I just bought a steam controller for the sole purpose of using my computer without a keyboard and mouse. I game on console and not PC, I got it for a more lounging experience on streaming sites and the like. Question I have is; you customize the controller on Steam but it appears you have to have steam open in order to keep the controller like that? I want the heptic feedback and light off which I set in Steam, but the moment Steam closes that all comes back. So there's no way to make it "stick" without steam running?

Yeah, you need to have Steam open for the controller/configurations to work.

Yeah, you need to have Steam open for the controller/configurations to work.
Minor correction: If Steam isn't open the controller goes into "Lizard mode", which means it's basically a keyboard and mouse.

As you say, for any interesting functionality, you need to run it through Steam.

I'm having an issue I can't figure out. I'm using a DS4 with steam big picture running a non-Steam game. All my binds work fine but the overlay doesn't seem to be working? When I press the PS button it's not taking me back to the Steam config screen and when I hit the button I bound for Steam screenshot, that's not working either.

Posted in the DS4 thread but I think I should have posted here instead.

Arulan

Yeah, same. I'm still using it for everything. Recent games I've been playing with it include Nier, Bayonetta, Shadow of Mordor, Hollow Knight, Shovel Knight, N++, Brigador and Ikaruga. All of them are awesome to play with it, even the "dpad" which I'm pretty happy with, though I'd like it to be less stiff. Rarely do I do 6hr+ sessions, but I did with Hollow Knight since I got so into it, which did get fatiguing with the late game stuff

Why not make it touch only with haptics on high? I agree though, ideally the next revision's pads should be similar to those on the Vive's controllers.

Anyone else playing NieR with this? the hacking/shmup sections never feel quite right even when I set the trackpad to joystick camera mode.

For the 2D sections, you don't want Joystick Camera, but instead Joystick Move for the right stick.

Nzyme32

Why not make it touch only with haptics on high? I agree though, ideally the next revision's pads should be similar to those on the Vive's controllers.

I'm still in the early stages of this idea. Without doubt it really does work, but it is a rather massive learning curve in my case. I pushed through with it in MKX and grew to find it my main way to play, but somehow out side of fighters, I find the "on click" usage of the dpad to still be what I want right now. I certainly have grown to love the pad as dpad now that I understand it's mechanics better for my thumb, which is basically using the upper and right-most dpad outlines as the central points since the "fat" of my thumb will then end up in all the right places with no mishaps.

I agree with the Vive idea, but I think some of the latest VR prototype controller looks to be a good direction, with an ever so slightly bowl-shaped design

omg_mjd

Is there a way to delete my Steam Controller data/configs from my profile or account?

I've gone back to using my 360 gamepad and whenever I start a game with the 360 gamepad plugged in Steam behaves as if I have big picture mode enabled (no FPS counter, etc). Was this added in a recent update? I don't like this as games now don't auto detect my 360 gamepad when they should. The only workaround is to start the game with the 360 gamepad unplugged.

I'm not on the Beta client and I don't know if I'll be going back to my Steam Controller any time soon so a solution that involves nuking my client and erasing every trace of my Steam Controller's existence would be welcome.

(I thought the SC was great as a M/KB substitute but most of the games I'm currently playing have native support for the 360 gamepad).

Nabs

Open up BPM and go to Options > Controller Options. You should be able to uncheck the 360 controller there.

belmonkey

I'm still in the early stages of this idea. Without doubt it really does work, but it is a rather massive learning curve in my case. I pushed through with it in MKX and grew to find it my main way to play, but somehow out side of fighters, I find the "on click" usage of the dpad to still be what I want right now. I certainly have grown to love the pad as dpad now that I understand it's mechanics better for my thumb, which is basically using the upper and right-most dpad outlines as the central points since the "fat" of my thumb will then end up in all the right places with no mishaps.

I agree with the Vive idea, but I think some of the latest VR prototype controller looks to be a good direction, with an ever so slightly bowl-shaped design

I kinda wish Valve would try an alternative split controller design for the Steam controller. If possible (and comfortable), a trackpad and joystick on each side, with one side having a d-pad and the other a button pad. It'd have two gyros and all the important pieces of a Steam controller and a regular controller, allowing a lot of flexibility for its usage.

Doopliss

Is it common for the mouse region touchpad setting to not function properly? I've been trying to set one up for Awesomenauts and while it works in the menus (including the pause menu), during gameplay the cursor isn't bound to the region and it moves like it's controlled by an analog stick with the sensitivity cranked way up.

This was in borderless windowed mode. I tried switching to fullscreen mode and it broke the mouse region in the menus too.

With how many devices can a single Steam Controller sync? I currently have one synced with a Steam Link, and a PC via dongle, but have been considering buying a second Steam Link.

Can the Steam Controller sync to three (or four, eight, ten, whatever) devices or would I need to disconnect and resync it with more than two?

belmonkey

Has anyone ever tried a DS4 controller with the wireless USB connector? I noticed that my DS4 has choppy mouse movement when connected to my PC's Bluetooth, but it is much smoother when connected via cable. Is the USB connector better than Bluetooth for a quality connection?

Nzyme32

Messing with Vanquish and the Steam Controller. I actually couldn't find or adjust a setup that felt good enough until I just simply went full Mouse and Keyboard. Pretty much the only way I can play since I can't stand the aiming with mouse joystick since I can't get precise enough. There must be a sweet spot somewhere for that within the in game sensitivity and max values for which the mouse joystick works.

Meanwhile the normal mouse is spot on as always - just won't work the same time as gamepad controls, but thankfully it was easy to just arrange it how I wanted, pretty much the same as the gamepad with some changes to reduce button pad usage.

Also Bayonetta is pretty great as just gamepad with mouse-joystick

Sophia

A lot of times, if mixed inputs don't work, a pure KB/M setup is the way to go.

I generally try to avoid Mouse-Joystick period, as I find it an unacceptable compromise. The only game I think I really use it on is The Witcher 3, where I don't care too much for precise camera control.

kodecraft

Messing with Vanquish and the Steam Controller. I actually couldn't find or adjust a setup that felt good enough until I just simply went full Mouse and Keyboard. Pretty much the only way I can play since I can't stand the aiming with mouse joystick since I can't get precise enough. There must be a sweet spot somewhere for that within the in game sensitivity and max values for which the mouse joystick works.

Meanwhile the normal mouse is spot on as always - just won't work the same time as gamepad controls, but thankfully it was easy to just arrange it how I wanted, pretty much the same as the gamepad with some changes to reduce button pad usage.

Also Bayonetta is pretty great as just gamepad with mouse-joystick

I'm playing the top community config setup with Vanquish. It feels good to me with a few minor adjustments.

Does mouse-joystick have a response curve setting yet? I personally think that'd help out a lot. My biggest gripe with mouse-joystick is that my swipes rarely feel 1:1 with what's actually happening on-screen. It'll either move the cursor too much, or too little.

Nzyme32

31/5/17

Steam Input
  • All Controllers types now can assign Guide Chord actions when opted out of further controller support. Similar to the existing Guide + Trigger for screenshot, additional actions can be bound or reassigned to Guide + Button via the Controller Settings. Additional options include quick mouse support, changing volume and other media keys, turning off the controller (on supported hardware), on-screen keyboard, and so forth.
  • Fixed configurations not being saved properly in offline mode.
  • Fixed controllers not registering in offline mode if the account didn't match its existing registration.
  • Removed online-only configuration browser categories when loading or saving configurations when in offline mode.
  • Fixed a case where X-Input slots could be incorrect while using generic controllers.
  • Fixed a case where controller configurations could be edited while saving to the cloud was still in-progress.

I like it being identified as "Steam Input" now that these things can be applied to so many devices

I'm having trouble getting the Steam Controller to work for Titanfall 2. Any advice on how to get Origin games to work with the controller? I used it fine with EA's Battlefront, but apparently an Origin update has made it stop working.

Echoplx

I'm having trouble getting the Steam Controller to work for Titanfall 2. Any advice on how to get Origin games to work with the controller? I used it fine with EA's Battlefront, but apparently an Origin update has made it stop working.

I haven't tried in a while but usually disabling the Origin overlay and adding the Origin client itself to Steam then launching it from there works.

Just got a link + controller.

Wow, this is bizarre. The right trackpad was was kinda like a touchpad and a trackball. I did not expect the "rrr" when swiping. I'm still trying to get used to the layout because my finger keeps going to the touchpad instead of the face buttons. The controller is weird and cool at the same time. The touchpad is definitely a preferable setup over analog sticks when mouse input is required. What do you even call those grip buttons behind? It was a welcome surprise.

As for the Link, setup didn't go too smooth because I bought them used. I had to reset it and plug the ethernet to download the update that fixes the bug that prevented it from connecting to my router. After everything was reset and updated, setup went very smoothly. I had issues with playback but that was because of AMD ReLive. I guess Steam Link and ReLive were fighting over the stream encoders somehow? Turned it off and the stream was smooth as silk on 5GHz. The network test said 7ms with 1ms variance which is pretty much nothing.

Top Bottom