• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Sophia

Drawback to Gigantic: The game supports mixed inputs, but swaps indicators even faster than Overwatch does. This makes a controller setup basically unusable if you want the benefits of real mouse aiming.

Upside to Gigantic: Luckily, Gigantic has very few buttons for a MOBA. Which means even a pure KB/M configuration is pure bliss. You can put every important action on the shoulder and grip buttons. I had three unused bindings when it was all said and done, and almost nothing on my touch menu.

20170721135755_11rsdz.jpg

coopolon

Is there any way to have the shoulder buttons repeatedly send button input when being held down? In the options I only see activators and nothing else.

Using he, for mouse up and down which scrolls through lists in da o and it's annoying to repeatedly press them.

Nabs

I've been playing Mafia III and it's been pretty great with the SC. They fixed Native Support and allow for a Controller + Mouse mix. My only (small) problem is that rumble doesn't seem to work with the SC, but does with the DS4.

Is there any way to have the shoulder buttons repeatedly send button input when being held down? In the options I only see activators and nothing else.

Using he, for mouse up and down which scrolls through lists in da o and it's annoying to repeatedly press them.

You can enable Hold to Repeat (Turbo) in the Activators Menu. I'm guessing that's what you're looking for.

coopolon

Over the last week or so the haptic intensity of the right track pad has gotten turned up a lot, anyone else having similar issues? What I mean is that all of a sudden the haptic feedback starts being much higher than what I have in the settings for the game. Normally I can get it back to normal through some combination of power cycling the controller, restarting the game, restarting steam, and restarting the PC.

You can enable Hold to Repeat (Turbo) in the Activators Menu. I'm guessing that's what you're looking for.

Yes, that is exactly what I wanted. Odd that it is in the activators menu even though it can be used on regular press, thanks!

Echoplx

Over the last week or so the haptic intensity of the right track pad has gotten turned up a lot, anyone else having similar issues? What I mean is that all of a sudden the haptic feedback starts being much higher than what I have in the settings for the game. Normally I can get it back to normal through some combination of power cycling the controller, restarting the game, restarting steam, and restarting the PC.

It's a bug in the current beta that will be fixed in the next release, you can opt out of the beta to fix it for now.

GLAMr

My wife got me a Steam Link & Controller for my birthday and I'm loving it so far. Its a very comfortable controller. I smashed through Ori and now I'm on to Shadow of Mordor. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the hang of aiming the bow with the right trackpad. Maybe there's an input style for the right pad that works better? I wound up linking up a DS4 and it works perfectly.

Echoplx

My wife got me a Steam Link & Controller for my birthday and I'm loving it so far. Its a very comfortable controller. I smashed through Ori and now I'm on to Shadow of Mordor. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the hang of aiming the bow with the right trackpad. Maybe there's an input style for the right pad that works better? I wound up linking up a DS4 and it works perfectly.

SoM supports simultaneous mouse/gamepad input so set the right trackpad to mouse with trackball enabled, try out the gyro for fine tuning your aiming as well.

Check out the wiki on reddit for more tips
https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamController/wiki/index

GLAMr

SoM supports simultaneous mouse/gamepad input so set the right trackpad to mouse with trackball enabled, try out the gyro for fine tuning your aiming as well.
Cheers mate, I'll give it a go. Where are the gyro assist settings? I tried changing right pad to "movement joystick" based on comments on the forums, but it wasn't quite right. I would really like to get things working on the Steam Controller as my wife spent a decent chunk of money on it, and it really is a nice controller.

Echoplx

Cheers mate, I'll give it a go. Where are the gyro assist settings? I tried changing right pad to "movement joystick" based on comments on the forums, but it wasn't quite right. I would really like to get things working on the Steam Controller as my wife spent a decent chunk of money on it, and it really is a nice controller.

The gyro is the button under the controller

MTRRzb9.png

In general you want the right trackpad to be "Mouse" but if that doesn't work "Mouse Joystick" is the next best thing (and set the gyro to match the trackpad setting).

Check the top few community profiles as well if you want to see what works for other people.

GLAMr

MTRRzb9.png

In general you want the right trackpad to be "Mouse" but if that doesn't work "Mouse Joystick" is the next best thing (and set the gyro to match the trackpad setting).
Thanks! I bookmarked the Wiki too so I'll do some additional homework. I'm not a fan of gyro/motion controls normally, but I've heard the Steam Controller nails it so I'm keen to have a go.

lome88

Thanks! I bookmarked the Wiki too so I'll do some additional homework. I'm not a fan of gyro/motion controls normally, but I've heard the Steam Controller nails it so I'm keen to have a go.

I had never tried gyro aiming before the SC and I don't think I can go back to a traditional pad for some games. It just makes such a huge difference when you can line up a headshot perfectly. Games I've noticed way better success on are, of course, FPS's but even some over the shoulder shooters get some benefit.

It's not perfect, but it's hardly the controller's fault. A lot of games pre 2012ish don't support simultaneous Mouse/Gamepad input so I've found myself either returning to my 360 pad or configuring a M/KB setup on the steam controller. Both are pretty valid, but mouse will always win out for obvious reasons.

GLAMr

MTRRzb9.png

Check the top few community profiles as well if you want to see what works for other people.
I just tried it, and it works a treat! It has gone from "Infuriating, insufferable torture device" to "nice input method I will need to learn to make the most of". I think I just need a bit of practice and tweaking. Thanks again for the help.

coopolon

It's a bug in the current beta that will be fixed in the next release, you can opt out of the beta to fix it for now.

Thanks! Never know what features are in beta and what has been moved over to stable version so am reluctant to opt out of beta, I can bear with it.

Anyone have a good config for Pillars of Eternity?

I know there's an official one but I hear its not as good as a custom one and that the gyro can be used for the camera that makes it smoother to operate

Is it just me, or are the medium and high trackball friction settings a bit too far apart? I wish there was an advanced option to fine tune the friction, like they've added for analog response curve. I definitely think the extra effort high friction requires is better than medium's loose behavior, it's just a tad strict when it comes to 180 degree turns, in my opinion.

Soodanim

Has anyone ever modded the SC to remove the audible click on the bumpers and grips? Who knows if we'll ever get a revision, so maybe I should take matters into my own hands.

Massive apologies if this has already been asked, but has anyone had much joy in adding GOG Dosbox games to steam and subsequently enabling the steam overlay for the pad?

I ask as I'm trying to set up Blood to use it.
I can get the pad working at a basic level (no overlay though) but I cannot use the back 2 buttons.

I've been through most wikis online for bringing Blood up to date, so far launching it via BloodGDX gives the best results but it's still not ideal.

Has anyone ever modded the SC to remove the audible click on the bumpers and grips? Who knows if we'll ever get a revision, so maybe I should take matters into my own hands.
In time the stiffness does wear in, and become much softer. I've been using my Steam Controller exclusively for almost two years now, and I think after a year it was noticeably less stiff.

Massive apologies if this has already been asked, but has anyone had much joy in adding GOG Dosbox games to steam and subsequently enabling the steam overlay for the pad?
Not sure about the overlay, but even without Steam running the controller should be in 'lizard mode', which essentially makes the left stick WASD, and the right pad a mouse. That might be enough for Blood?

I bought a Torx screwdriver kit specifically for this purpose, but I haven't gotten around to taking it apart and trying to tweak my bumpers and grip buttons.

I think the grips are actually pretty easy, I've read you just need to add a piece of thick tape to where they click in and it lessens the amount of pull it needs to trigger (or so I saw online). I don't even think you need to disassemble any of it, just take the bumpers off, find the right spot, and put the tape or sticky foam down.

I haven't read any success stories about making the bumpers feel better, but ifixit has a tear down of the Steam Controller and I'm going to follow that step by step until I get access to the bumpers and try to figure out a way of getting them to be a little better.

In time the stiffness does wear in, and become much softer. I've been using my Steam Controller exclusively for almost two years now, and I think after a year it was noticeably less stiff.

Not sure about the overlay, but even without Steam running the controller should be in 'lizard mode', which essentially makes the left stick WASD, and the right pad a mouse. That might be enough for Blood?

Yeah, so far it's fine but I just wondered if I could use the back paddles for jump/crouch but they aren't detected when trying to rebind the keys in game. Cheers though!

Paragon

I ask as I'm trying to set up Blood to use it.
I can get the pad working at a basic level (no overlay though) but I cannot use the back 2 buttons.

I've been through most wikis online for bringing Blood up to date, so far launching it via BloodGDX gives the best results but it's still not ideal.

You need to edit the DOSBox config so that the output is opengl or openglnb (bilinear filtering on/off) instead of overlay or surface.

Out of all games with native support, Prey seems to have the best implementation of it yet. I've spent less time on this config than any other game, because everything is already set up so well. There even seems to be detailed implementation of HD haptics; feedback usually feels appropriate to the situation, rather than the same generic buzzing you get back from rumble emulation. Major props to Arkane for such fantastic support. Bethesda's devs have been really supportive of the device in general, and I hope this becomes standard for all their releases.

Out of all games with native support, Prey seems to have the best implementation of it yet. I've spent less time on this config than any other game, because everything is already set up so well. There even seems to be detailed implementation of HD haptics; feedback usually feels appropriate to the situation, rather than the same generic buzzing you get back from rumble emulation. Major props to Arkane for such fantastic support. Bethesda's devs have been really supportive of the device in general, and I hope this becomes standard for all their releases.
I was very impressed with No Man's Sky's implementation of the Steam Controller, I didn't even know that developers could get so granular with configurations. It doesn't have the haptic stuff you mention Prey having, but it's nicely setup.

Different gameplay situations have separate mappable config (like on-foot, in ship, in menu, etc). And they don't just assume you need to memorize all the buttons, you can actually let you map things by actions instead if of buttons (scan, jump, shoot, accelerate).

I'm sure games have been able to do this for a while, but it's the first one I've tried that's actually done such a good job with it.

Nabs

Agreed on Prey. It's probably my favorite SCAPI game so far. I only had to increase the sensitivity a bit, and move Sprint/Jump to the paddles/Interact to the touchpad. I'm also a fan of having the 1-0 hotkeys on the left radial menu. It probably took 30 seconds to get it where I wanted it. And yeah, the rumble feels super detailed.

Jacqli

I bought one some weeks ago and I have to say that I am impressed with this thing. I did not think that I would like it so much (even though I still suck at it), but now I want to play every game with the controller. Do not care if it is FPS, the gyroscope and touchpad or trackpad are great. It is a pity because my mouse is pretty good, but I am tired of trying to get used to the keyboard.

The only disappointing aspect is the UI. But apart from that, I just wish I had bought it earlier.

Nzyme32

Agreed on Prey. It's probably my favorite SCAPI game so far. I only had to increase the sensitivity a bit, and move Sprint/Jump to the paddles/Interact to the touchpad. I'm also a fan of having the 1-0 hotkeys on the left radial menu. It probably took 30 seconds to get it where I wanted it. And yeah, the rumble feels super detailed.

I like Prey and Doom SCAPI as well so far. Sadly not had the time to explore too many other games just yet

You need to edit the DOSBox config so that the output is opengl or openglnb (bilinear filtering on/off) instead of overlay or surface.

I've done that :( I think the problem lies in me not being able to execute blood.exe directly, Windows 10 tells me that it cannot be ran on this OS.

BloodGDX & basic support will suit me I think.

dsk1210

So, how easy is it to get the steam controller working on the the Destiny beta?

Had a quick shot of the Destiny 2 last night just using my Elite controller but want to set up the steam controller tonight, how do I go about it?

Sophia

So, how easy is it to get the steam controller working on the the Destiny beta?

Had a quick shot of the Destiny 2 last night just using my Elite controller but want to set up the steam controller tonight, how do I go about it?

The bnetlauncher tool was updated to support Destiny 2. Probably your best shot.

Trying to launch Destiny 2 manually gives an error.

EDIT: Unfortunately, Destiny 2 does not support mixed inputs. The game has a noticeable delay when switching from gamepad to controller. You will need a pure KB/M setup to play this.

Leeroy605

Using my steam Controller less and less due to two weird bugs recently, maybe someone in here can help?

First is I'll be using the steam Controller fine, then input will completely stop. I'll have to go grab my Logitech keyboard and touchpad combo to use the mouse again which is uncomfortable to me. Have done the setting steam to start as admin service method in here yet it still happens, anything else I can try?

Second bug is a weird one, the right touchpad becomes unresponsive to my fingertip, yet works when I splodge my whole thumb on it. This happens a couple of times per week and comes and goes. Is this a faulty touchpad problem or software?

Sophia

Using my steam Controller less and less due to two weird bugs recently, maybe someone in here can help?

First is I'll be using the steam Controller fine, then input will completely stop. I'll have to go grab my Logitech keyboard and touchpad combo to use the mouse again which is uncomfortable to me. Have done the setting steam to start as admin service method in here yet it still happens, anything else I can try?

Second bug is a weird one, the right touchpad becomes unresponsive to my fingertip, yet works when I splodge my whole thumb on it. This happens a couple of times per week and comes and goes. Is this a faulty touchpad problem or software?

Dunno about the second one, but that's not a software issue.

For the first one, have you tried using the controller via USB instead of the wireless dongle? Maybe it's dropping signal

dsk1210

The bnetlauncher tool was updated to support Destiny 2. Probably your best shot.

Trying to launch Destiny 2 manually gives an error.

EDIT: Unfortunately, Destiny 2 does not support mixed inputs. The game has a noticeable delay when switching from gamepad to controller. You will need a pure KB/M setup to play this.

Cheers man.

Bit unfortunate as I wanted controller set up with mouse movement and gyro. :(

Leeroy605

Dunno about the second one, but that's not a software issue.

For the first one, have you tried using the controller via USB instead of the wireless dongle? Maybe it's dropping signal

Will give that a try, although just bought a new dongle as I accidentally bent my last one so hopefully not that.

Going to open up a support ticket for the touchpad issue and see what valve says. Thanks!

I just got my Steam Controller today, but there is one problem. I cannot update the firmware, since I am unable to get into Big Picture mode. I would launch into Big Picture mode and a black screen then the Steam bootstrapper would stop responding shortly after. I have tried making a shortcut with -tenfoot but I still have the same problem.

Specifications:

Windows 10 Pro
AMD Ryzen 1600 (non-oc)
EVGA Geforce GTX 1060 3GB
16 GB G.Skill Ram Gigabyte
AB350 Gaming 3 motherboard
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
WD Black Performance 1TB HD

Crayon

There's been a lot of console games lately so I haven't used my steam controller much. In fact I fell in love with the switch joycons and thought for a minute that they are my favorite controller. But last nite I played some stuff on PC and damn I love my steam controllers. My absolute favorite controller thus far.

JimboJones

That second bug sounds similar to what happened to mine, except it was like that out of the box so I sent it back straight away and got a replacement.

Nymerio

That second bug sounds similar to what happened to mine, except it was like that out of the box so I sent it back straight away and got a replacement.

huh, that's what keeps happening to my controller, usually when I've just turned it on. I always thought it had something to do with my fingers, because I've started to rub my index finger on my thumb and it usually goes away after I've done that. It's weird.

riflen

Could an intermittently unresponsive touch pad simply be caused by residue left by greasy fingers? This is something you'll see on laptop touch pads and it may not be easy to see. Wash your hands after eating those ribs, people!

Nzyme32

Could an intermittently unresponsive touch pad simply be caused by residue left by greasy fingers? This is something you'll see on laptop touch pads and it may not be easy to see. Wash your hands after eating those ribs, people!

Perhaps - but I definitely have this issue on occasion. It is mostly when I start up the pad and for whatever reason there is a random area of the pad that isn't responsive as it should be.

I simple restart the pad and 99% of the time the issue is magically resolved

I'm having a bit of trouble playing a DS emulator because clicking the stick opens the onscreen keyboard. The settings on the config say nothing is on click and I set it to a random key and the keyboard keeps on coming up.

Nabs

I'm having a bit of trouble playing a DS emulator because clicking the stick opens the onscreen keyboard. The settings on the config say nothing is on click and I set it to a random key and the keyboard keeps on coming up.

I'm guessing you're getting the desktop config instead of the one you made for the DS Emulator. Does the overlay work when you're in game? If you're using Desmume, click on Config > Display Method > OpenGL and see if that helps. That's how I'm able to use it with the Steam Controller.

I'm guessing you're getting the desktop config instead of the one you made for the DS Emulator. Does the overlay work when you're in game? If you're using Desmume, click on Config > Display Method > OpenGL and see if that helps. That's how I'm able to use it with the Steam Controller.
Thanks. I'll try this when I'm able.

Knurek

Is there any way to edit your controller template?
Not actual game profile, just the template you can import to use in a game.

Knurek

Export the profile and save it as a template instead of a personal or community config.

Yes, I've done so previously.
Now I want to edit that template. Without having to resort to importing it as a profile, editing, deleting the template and then exporting the profile as a new template. Is that possible?

Paragon

Yes, I've done so previously.
Now I want to edit that template. Without having to resort to importing it as a profile, editing, deleting the template and then exporting the profile as a new template. Is that possible?
Sorry, I thought you were asking if it was possible to create templates. There's no way to do it as far as I am aware.
You would have to either create a new template from the current profile or load the old one, make your changes, and save it again.
I can't really think of a situation where I would be making changes to a template if it's not the current profile though. Any time I'm editing a config, I do it in the game so that I can confirm that things are working as intended.

tombo85

I still can't get use to this controller despite owning it since it came out. I refuse to get rid of it but it is frustrating

Has anybody gotten to try PUBG with the Steam Controller? I heard they added controller support recently, and I was wondering if hybrid inputs were possible in that game. Would definitely encourage me to finally jump on-board, as the game's caught my interest for a good while.

Also, I'm surprised at how much vertical sens scaling can help out, at least with trackpad aiming. I used to have a hard time hitting Genjis and Pharahs in Overwatch, but lowering the setting by five ticks fixed my troubles. I try to avoid using the advanced options, but in this case, I think you get more than enough room on the pad vertically than you do horizontally, so lowering its scope helps even it out.

Mailbox

I still can't get use to this controller despite owning it since it came out. I refuse to get rid of it but it is frustrating

I recommend you (make a desktop config) and just try using it exclusively (maybe use a keyboard). No Mice.

You'll get used to it real quick.

Also I recommend using it for a slow game first, rather than shooters (if you aren't using gyros you are doing it wrong).

Also I recommend using it for a slow game first, rather than shooters (if you aren't using gyros you are doing it wrong).
Shooters are fine initially, if you're not going up against KB+M players online. I personally recommend older titles like Quake if you're trying to get to grips with the device, if only because some modern titles force aim assist, which works against 1:1 aim. Though a game like Portal 2 isn't a bad place to start either, especially considering it has native support. Also, I wouldn't say disabling gyro is doing it wrong. Gyro is easier to set up and learn, but the trackpad works really well on its own once you disable smoothing.

Top Bottom