• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Blizzard

Banned
My controller is completely unresponsive after the latest firmware update. It still lights up and shows as detected, but there is no startup beep and none of the inputs work. It won't even turn off with a long press. Have to take the batteries out.

"Retrying firmware update" showed up after a restart, let's see how this goes.

No luck. Just keeps looping retries.
I might have had that problem and plugging the USB cable in fixed it. Might need to remove the batteries and plug in so the firmware update is wire-only. (I see you got it working though, fortunately)

zbarron

On the subject of the learning curve, am I the only one here who pretty much got it day one? I'm not trying to brag, I realize there are a few factors involved.

For one I only got it a week ago after a bunch of firmware and steam updates that made the controller better. For another thing I haven't really played a shooter with dual analogs since Halo 2.

I don't know if because I really never developed the muscle memory of dual analog shooters I didn't have to go through unlearning it so to speak. I did play Metroid Prime 3 on the Wii and Skyward Sword's bow controls were pure Gyro which made the gyro aiming feel natural to me.

Red

On the subject of the learning curve, am I the only one here who pretty much got it day one? I'm not trying to brag, I realize there are a few factors involved.

For one I only got it a week ago after a bunch of firmware and steam updates that made the controller better. For another thing I haven't really played a shooter with dual analogs since Halo 2.

I don't know if because I really never developed the muscle memory of dual analog shooters I didn't have to go through unlearning it so to speak. I did play Metroid Prime 3 on the Wii and Skyward Sword's bow controls were pure Gyro which made the gyro aiming feel natural to me.
Are you talking shooters exclusively? I had no problem with most games, and immediately preferred it over a traditional gamepad for many genres. Shooters gave me a little trouble–precision was more difficult at first. But after a couple of days it no longer got in the way of my performance.
I might have had that problem and plugging the USB cable in fixed it. Might need to remove the batteries and plug in so the firmware update is wire-only. (I see you got it working though, fortunately)
Thanks anyway!

zbarron

Are you talking shooters exclusively? I had no problem with most games, and immediately preferred it over a traditional gamepad for many genres. Shooters gave me a little trouble–precision was more difficult at first. But after a couple of days it no longer got in the way of my performance.

Thanks anyway!

Shooters specifically yes. With most other games it's not that different from a traditional controller with the analog stick and ABXY face buttons. There's added functionality sure but basic function is similar enough to be familiar.

accx

For anyone feeling that the learning curve is very jarring (and i don't blame you), i'd suggest booting up an fps that's forgiving when it comes to aiming and that also have aim assist available.
It might sound counter intuitive with aim assist but it ended up completely eliminate the frustration i had in the beginning. I was having those "why am i using this again?" thoughts but with aim assist it became so much better.
I've got about 40 hours clocked in borderlands 2 and have now turned off aim assist. I could've probably turned it off sooner but i wanted to be certain that i had acclimatized to the controller before turning it off. It also helped me slowly get over the steep learning curve of tweaking the settings to suit myself. Some things are really not explained very well and it can be very jarring at first with all those options. It's obviously great that we have them but i can see many like myself going "omg i have no idea what i'm doing please send help".

Also, having gyro activated on half pull trigger instead of right touch pad helped tremendously for me. I've always had problems using gyro in the past but this worked for me. right touch pad for looking around 90% of the time, when aiming take of thumb from right pad and use gyro instead (if it's needed). It's second nature doing it now and i'm in love with this controller.

Red

In Borderlands, I bound gyro to a full left trigger press so if activated in tandem with my scope. I've always played BL as more of a distance gunner so gyro for sniping correction was really comfortable for me.

accx

In Borderlands, I bound gyro to a full left trigger press so if activated in tandem with my scope. I've always played BL as more of a distance gunner so gyro for sniping correction was really comfortable for me.

I bound half right trigger to aim sights and activate gyro simultaneously, with full pull as attack (obviously), freeing up left trigger for whatever. I think i have grenade on it atm.
But yea, gyro activating on ADS is fantastic.

Eusis

Yeah, getting used to using the controller only took an hour or so at most. Getting GOOD and PRECISE with it... That's an ongoing trial. The gyro tends to be what I rely on for that, not sure I could do it well with just the track pad.

And I think it'll be the traditionally mouse only games like Pillars of Eternity that will actually be hard to fully get versus stuff like FPSes. It's not fundamentally different from using a regular controller for those really, just swapping out the second stick for a virtual track ball, but for something like PoE it can feel more outright alien.

Gruso

Must admit, first person stuff has been my weakness so far. My brain can't decide if I want to invert look or not - neither is working well for me! I've been focusing on other types of games, and HTPC control, which is all brilliant. I just need to put the hours into FPS.

Eusis

Must admit, first person stuff has been my weakness so far. My brain can't decide if I want to invert look or not - neither is working well for me! I've been focusing on other types of games, and HTPC control, which is all brilliant. I just need to put the hours into FPS.
I just ran non-inverted, forced myself to deal with it... and now I find I'm un-inverting when playing on a controller. If you ever wanted to break yourself of the habit (or at least get equally used to non-inverted so situations where you're forced into it aren't the end of the world) this would be it.

Has anybody else grow a standard bind layout over time? When I first got the controller, I didn't really care to keep binds similar throughout games, but once muscle memory began to kick in, I started messing up when jumping from one game to another, which encouraged me to organize my binds and keep them familiar. Also, if you have, what have you guys become comfortable with? I'd like to hear how others set up their controllers. Technically, I have grown accustomed to certain binds throughout different genres, but since 3D shooters are so widespread nowadays, I think that'd be the most appropriate one to discuss. Here's the layout I try getting games to resemble.

• Left trigger soft pull to aim (when possible), full pull to fire, with hip fire set. I bind fire to left trigger instead of right to keep my aim as steady as possible on the right pad.
  • If I cannot get soft pull aim on LT working properly, I usually bind it to the right trigger. Otherwise, if it works just fine on LT, or if the game doesn't have iron-sights, I bind secondary fire to RT.
  • The bumpers are interesting to me. I see a lot of people using the grips for mode-shifting purposes, however, I find using the bumpers to mode shift a lot better, since they are not immediately accessible. In shooters, right bumper either mode shifts the right pad into the diamond button layout, with the left side going to the previous weapon, and the right side vice versa, or when the game has a bigger array of weapons, into a touch menu, typically 3x3. If there are voice commands, and it's a multiplayer shooter where I absolutely need to use them often, I make the touch menu 4x3, and set the extra buttons on the right to voice command lists.
  • I've yet to need more than one touch menu (this will change eventually, I'm sure), so left bumper usually gets assigned to a secondary action that isn't immediately necessary, but is still wise to keep at easy access. The command I most often associate it with are grenades.
  • Perhaps the reason I don't use the grips to mode shift often is because they're in a great position for common actions. I don't think I've ever used the left grip for anything other than jump, and the right grip for reload. They just feel right for that sort of thing. Also, if I do accidentally press either or, the command they're set to is very unlikely to create a costly mistake.
  • I know the left stick is obvious, but I do want to add that if the game has no analog support, and analog emulation works poorly, I tend to raise the deadzone 30 ticks from the left, and set haptics to high. If the game has running, left stick click is obviously to run, but otherwise, I set it to use. If the game has a "walk" button, I leave the deadzone at its default, and set a backwards outer ring binding to it. These are pretty obvious.
  • Right pad click is toggle crouch whenever possible. Usually, that isn't an option, so I have to put up with holding down the pad to crouch. The pads aren't exactly easy to click in, so that has yet to be an issue for me.
  • While I'm talking about the right pad, I feel right pad sensitivity settings are a good thing to mention, so here's how I typically set it up; I raise the sensitivity so I can do a 180 from the left side of the pad to the right side, I lower smoothing down ten ticks from the default (this removes the "deadzone" issue, and it has helped me with using the pad to aim so much), I remove any rotation on the right pad, and depending on whether or not elevation is a huge factor in the game, I lower the vertical sensitivity. These settings are so good, I have yet to feel like I need gyro at all. It should honestly be the default, smoothing especially; Valve should just cut off the latter half of smoothing values, and extend the first half of smoothing values across the bar. Nobody will ever need more smoothing than the current default, as far as I can see.
  • Now for the face buttons. I try to avoid using them often, but they're still useful for more minor tasks. If left stick click is already set to run, Y is usually set to use. Otherwise, I use it to open inventory. If Y is set to use, I set B to inventory. I don't think there is a "standard bind" I have for X and A, so I couldn't really say what I usually use them for. Usually extra actions that aren't immediately required.
  • The left pad is kind of like X and A, where I just throw anything on there I don't immediately need. I usually set it to a 3x3 touch menu, and put things on there like changing view, opening and navigating your map, voting on a multiplayer game, etc. I used to use the d-pad mode, but touch menu just adds more options.
Not sure if anybody else has the time to write something like this out, haha, but I'd love to hear what everyone else tries to default to. I always try to aim for efficiency through my binds, and maybe somebody here has a neat setting with their binds that I'm missing out on.

kinn

Anyone have a good recommendation for an Elite Dangerous setup?

And I just want to say that I love this controller!

Oreoleo

[*]Perhaps the reason I don't use the grips to mode shift often is because they're in a great position for common actions. I don't think I've ever used the left grip for anything other than jump, and the right grip for reload. They just feel right for that sort of thing. Also, if I do accidentally press either or, the command they're set to is very unlikely to create a costly mistake.

I don't have too many things I've settled on, but so far I've had jump on right grip and crouch on left grip (first played HL2 with the controller, gotta be able to crouch jump with ease) in every game for the reasons you mention. They are too easy to accidentally hit to put anything like fire on, but too convenient to waste on mode shifts. The one game I used it in I set mode shift to left pad click for non-time sensitive stuff like accessing inventory and whatnot. The bumpers I'm not crazy about (though they aren't as bad as I initially perceived) so I leave them to cycle through weapons, though that might be a waste of real estate with touch menus available. I haven't run into too many scenarios where I've run out of buttons and needed to use the bumpers for something else, so far.

Nzyme32

How do I apply these configs to the games once I download them?

GTA V as an example of a non-steam game via reddit. You can skip the neccessary steps if it is already a Steam game
  • Add GTAV to steam as a non-steam game: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2219-YDJV-5557
  • Select a template and save it as a config
  • Open your Steam folder and then visit the following folders: userdata > a folder named just numbers > 241100 > remote > controller_config
  • Look for a folder with a long name and that was most recently created
  • Visit https://steamdb.info/ to find the APPID for GTAV using search
  • Enter the APPID on http://steamcontroller.rocks/
  • Right click on a config that you want to save and click 'Save Link As'
  • Save the config to the folder with a long name
  • Using Big Picture open GTAV's configs and select the config from the Personal tab.

I'll be updating the OP with all this sort of stuff and the new additions, but haven't got the time this week

Gruso

A dude on reddit was writing a desktop client to apply custom profiles without all the directory digging. I'll find the post again.

jax

Banned
I finally perfected the controller for use with FFXIV. I'm extremely happy with the results. Essentially gives me face button access to every skill, no more nonsense. Also Gyro = amazing.

Still haven't cracked it with Battlefront ... Maybe I'll try that website out and see if someone else is closer.

Z3M0G

After getting comfortable with the controls of Kid Icarus on 3DS, I look forward to trying a shooter on the Steam Controller.

woen

I read a bunch of posts here and on reddit, thanks for the reports guys. I may get one alongside my PC, and not keep my Dualshock4 or buy an Xbone 150$ controller. I'm not really satisfied by joysticks with current pads, especially with FPS and since I don't play 2h/day or more online, but I don't want to take a K/M config. If I here people, after dozens of hours with the controller, get better, I might get one. Also, I hope getting back to a "standard" gamepad is easy. If I want to play PS4, Wii U or NX there won't be any Steam magical controller. So I'm interested to see what will be the possibilities in 8/9 months and what the feedback will be then.

My xbox controller started showing issues and I will replace it. Is the steam controller the way to go even if I WILL NOT use it for games where I would use a mouse, and just for games like Guacamelee and Dark Souls?

Veal

My xbox controller started showing issues and I will replace it. Is the steam controller the way to go even if I WILL NOT use it for games where I would use a mouse, and just for games like Guacamelee and Dark Souls?
Dark souls is great with the controller. I can't see any problems with Guac either! Just don't listen to people trying to shoehorn what the controller may or may not be good at. Try it for yourself and if you don't like it, send it back. So many don't get what this controller is about or what it can actually do. It requires much more from the user than pretty much any controller ever.

Veal

I don't have too many things I've settled on, but so far I've had jump on right grip and crouch on left grip (first played HL2 with the controller, gotta be able to crouch jump with ease) in every game for the reasons you mention. They are too easy to accidentally hit to put anything like fire on, but too convenient to waste on mode shifts. The one game I used it in I set mode shift to left pad click for non-time sensitive stuff like accessing inventory and whatnot. The bumpers I'm not crazy about (though they aren't as bad as I initially perceived) so I leave them to cycle through weapons, though that might be a waste of real estate with touch menus available. I haven't run into too many scenarios where I've run out of buttons and needed to use the bumpers for something else, so far.
Couldn't you set up crouch jump with multi button, freeing up an input?

lord

I'm a bit disappointed, not the controllers' fault but UIs made with k&m in mind have very annoying tiny buttons that are hard to press. This will be shoved as devs take the controller into account hopefully.

Nabs

Just put up an awesome Max Payne setup. Trackball + Gyro to aim, with weapon touch menu on the left pad. This controller is perfect for older classic PC titles.

OK I think I will do it. Whats the best solution for batteries by the way?

I just picked up some Eneloops and they fit the controller perfectly.

Someone made a suggestion

A screen-sized mouse region is also a solid option for the wii pointer in games like SMG2 where you mostly just need to swipe around the screen to grab star bits. I've been using that setup since mouse regions came out and I'm up to world 5 so it's solidly viable.

It frees up the gyro to be bound to the actual wiimote tilt axes for the flying and ball-riding minigames.
·

Woodsie 2 hours ago
+Austin Kauble That sounds like a much better method, actually. Nice.

Unai

Dark Souls play really well with this controller even using the default settings. I'm impressed.

I don't want to use another controller without those back buttons anymore. They are the true game changer here.

derFeef

Does anyone else run into the problem that games sometimes do not recognize the controller settings? I have had this multiple times now. Set controls, fire up the game... no dice. It either uses xinput and/or ignores everything I set in the config. A BPM restart usually fixes it but it's a bit annoying.

riflen

Does anyone else run into the problem that games sometimes do not recognize the controller settings? I have had this multiple times now. Set controls, fire up the game... no dice. It either uses xinput and/or ignores everything I set in the config. A BPM restart usually fixes it but it's a bit annoying.

Are you streaming games with In Home Streaming? I've noticed this problem and it seemed like it might be a bug relating to not having the game actually installed on the PC that the controller is attached to. I've not looked too much into it though. I just learned to always launch the game before making a config and figured they'd fix it in time.

It's almost like Steam has two configs for the one game. The first exists on the streaming client PC and another that is in use when you begin to Stream the game.

EDIT: In fact now that I think about it, it's possible the problem is a Steam cloud sync thing. Perhaps the streaming host PC has not received the bindings update in the (usually) short time between you creating the config on the client PC and launching the game on the host PC. Maybe restarting BPM kicks off a cloud sync.

MNC

Currently my only issue that each time I play a game anew with the Steam Controller and download a config, I basically have to relearn playing from scratch. How are people coping with that? Just writing their own configs?

Also: I noticed the save bug (Attempt to save then get error "SAVE ALREADY IN PROGRESS") has been fixed. Nice!

Nabs

Max Payne 2 feels even better than MP1 with this controller. I think I'll replay this after I get to all the other games I need to play.

ezEFVM8.jpg

Currently my only issue that each time I play a game anew with the Steam Controller and download a config, I basically have to relearn playing from scratch. How are people coping with that? Just writing their own configs?

I either make my own, or adjust popular ones to my liking. I mainly play FPS/TPS games, so configs aren't usually confusing. It's mainly just about getting the right pad/gyro feeling right, and also putting some good stuff on the back paddles.

derFeef

I bought Sky Rogue and I think it's very fun with the Gyro controls. I activated xinput in the game settings and that's it. I had to tinker a lot with the vertical neutrality though, I tink it's at 25% now isntead of 50% but it's fine that way.

Are you streaming games with In Home Streaming? I've noticed this problem and it seemed like it might be a bug relating to not having the game actually installed on the PC that the controller is attached to. I've not looked too much into it though. I just learned to always launch the game before making a config and figured they'd fix it in time.

It's almost like Steam has two configs for the one game. The first exists on the streaming client PC and another that is in use when you begin to Stream the game.

EDIT: In fact now that I think about it, it's possible the problem is a Steam cloud sync thing. Perhaps the streaming host PC has not received the bindings update in the (usually) short time between you creating the config on the client PC and launching the game on the host PC. Maybe restarting BPM kicks off a cloud sync.

I am not streaming but I also think that it could be a cloud sync problem, good catch. Thanks, I will look into it!

Blizzard

Banned
I'm a bit disappointed, not the controllers' fault but UIs made with k&m in mind have very annoying tiny buttons that are hard to press. This will be shoved as devs take the controller into account hopefully.
One thing that might help is mouse dampening. Have you looked into that option? There might be a way for a soft trigger press to make the mouse sensitivity lower so you can do very precise movements.

deadfolk

I just ran non-inverted, forced myself to deal with it... and now I find I'm un-inverting when playing on a controller. If you ever wanted to break yourself of the habit (or at least get equally used to non-inverted so situations where you're forced into it aren't the end of the world) this would be it.

Yeah same here. I am now unable to use inverted or non. Both feel wrong now, but I'm getting better at non.

Oreoleo

Couldn't you set up crouch jump with multi button, freeing up an input?
I think this would largely depend on the game. How do I crouch without jumping then? A game with any kind of stealth mechanics, that wouldn't really work at all. If the game uses toggle crouch, very often jump doubles as a "stand up" button so if you push crouch and stand up at the same time while you're crouched, I'm curious what would actually happen in the game. The more I think about it, the more problems I think that would introduce rather than solve.

Crouch jumping is a thing I had to consider for rocket jumping in TF2, and I never find myself aiming while crouch jumping, so pressing down on the right pad to do it worked out nicely for me. I used the bumpers to scroll through weapons at first, as well, but eventually I had to switch over to touch menus due to games demanding more inputs.

Just put up an awesome Max Payne setup. Trackball + Gyro to aim, with weapon touch menu on the left pad. This controller is perfect for older classic PC titles.

Heyyy, I just started Max Payne, too. It feels great with the Steam Controller, though lack of analog movement makes me sad. My uploaded binds are similar, but the touch menu is on the right pad through a right bumper mode shift. It really helped me out a lot in situations where I have to keep moving away from enemy fire., since otherwise my left thumb would be occupied picking a weapon.

Tenebrous

How do the Ys games play through the Steam Link, and does the Steam Controller work well for them? I only have one of the games on GOG, so I'm tempted to just pick the whole lot up on Steam so I've something to play when downstairs.

Nabs

Crouch jumping is a thing I had to consider for rocket jumping in TF2, and I never find myself aiming while crouch jumping, so pressing down on the right pad to do it worked out nicely for me. I used the bumpers to scroll through weapons at first, as well, but eventually I had to switch over to touch menus due to games demanding more inputs.

Heyyy, I just started Max Payne, too. It feels great with the Steam Controller, though lack of analog movement makes me sad. My uploaded binds are similar, but the touch menu is on the right pad through a right bumper mode shift. It really helped me out a lot in situations where I have to keep moving away from enemy fire., since otherwise my left thumb would be occupied picking a weapon.

I'll definitely keep the right pad touch menu in mind as I play some more. I highly recommend playing MP2 when you're done, it's controls so well.

Eusis

How do the Ys games play through the Steam Link, and does the Steam Controller work well for them? I only have one of the games on GOG, so I'm tempted to just pick the whole lot up on Steam so I've something to play when downstairs.
You'll need to know where Xbox buttons are mapped number wise or just use one (or keyboard bindings) to set it up properly for Ys VI anyway. Can't get into the menus as is.

EDIT: And they definitely should have a direct input mode in addition to Xinput and kb/m. Probably the one notable hole in the controllers support, not that I'm sure it matters.

derFeef

Help me understand profiles. If I save a profile for public, does it update that public profile every time I make an adjustment? Or do I need to re-save it with the same name?

mookie

Neo Member
Has anyone else tried Resident Evil 6? it seems with all the top configs i end up rolling all the time when i try and move my character around using the anlog stick. Really gets confusing trying to change buttons around when in game it is using keyboard and mouse icons.

Top Bottom