• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Nzyme32

Help me understand profiles. If I save a profile for public, does it update that public profile every time I make an adjustment? Or do I need to re-save it with the same name?

I tested this - it does update the binding you made such that it also alters the binding for any new users that select it in the community bindings (only after an hour or so though since it seems to take quite a while for the community bindings to update) but whether it updates the controls for the users already using the bindings, I have no idea.

Unai

I tested this - it does update the binding you made such that it also alters the binding for any new users that select it in the community bindings (only after an hour or so though since it seems to take quite a while for the community bindings to update) but whether it updates the controls for the users already using the bindings, I have no idea.

Let's test it?!

Crayon

I am kind of starting to wish the touch pads where pressure sensitive. Or perhaps that can be emulated with the flattening of the thumb and the corresponding growth of the contact patch?

I thought about it last nite and it seemed like a big oversight. I feel like the tiniest amount of pressure required before registering the touch and feeding back the haptic click would be really nice.

ekim

I guess my questions will be answered here fast:

Too many of the reviews of the Steam Controller have come from the perspective of limited first impressions geared towards plug and play. Only a portion of the tech-focused sites have really dug into it, and found out what it can really do.

The Steam Controller right now out of the box with default control templates isn't very good, as usually the haptic pad sensitivity is bad, and the gyro assistance isn't even on.

If you get used to the pad, bother to either tweak or try community templates, the thing can easily beat out an analog stick for aiming. Then add in the dual-stage triggers, back paddles, and just the crazy amount of inputs you can bind to the pads...you end up with games where you don't EVER have to lift your thumbs off to hit anything.

Only thing is that it doesn't measure up to the precision of a good mouse, but it's the closest a pad has ever come, and also natively acts as a mouse for games that don't read xinput commands in main menus for some PC games.

Is there any online walkthrough or some best practices guide? My controller just arrived and I want to be prepared when I get home tonight and try it :)

Especially the bolded stuff sounds interesting - what does it mean in particular and how to fix/enable it?

Nabs

I guess my questions will be answered here fast:

Is there any online walkthrough or some best practices guide? My controller just arrived and I want to be prepared when I get home tonight and try it :)

Especially the bolded stuff sounds interesting - what does it mean in particular and how to fix/enable it?

I recommend looking over the OP. Nzyme has put in a lot of work to gather all that info.

My favorite youtube channels at the moment are Woodsie and ConstableBento. They have good breakdowns of how to use the controller with various types of games.

The Steam Controller subreddit is another good source of information: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamController/

Just don't rush things. Find some games that you think will play better with improved camera control and give 'em a try. Start small, then work your way up to crazy. As for the bolded, the haptic pad has a ridiculous amount of options to choose from. You may want to change some things depending on game, but the default trackball setup is actually pretty decent. You can enable gyro by clicking on the icon under the controller in the config menu. You'll be able to decide what it does, how it does it, and when it does it. It's going to be confusing at first, but that's what we're all here for.

Oh, and don't forget to opt into the Steam Client Beta (Steam > Settings > Acct > Beta Participation). They update the controller regularly with new features and tweaks. It's worth it.

ekim

I recommend looking over the OP. Nzyme has put in a lot of work to gather all that info and keep it up to date.

My favorite youtube channels at the moment are Woodsie and ConstableBento. They have good breakdowns of how to use the controller with various types of games.

The Steam Controller subreddit is another good source of information: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamController/

Just don't rush things. Find some games that you think will play better with improved camera control and give 'em a try. Start small, then work your way up to crazy. As for the bolded, the haptic pad has a ridiculous amount of options to choose from. You may want to change some things depending on game, but the default trackball setup is actually pretty decent. You can enable gyro by clicking on the icon under the controller in the config menu. You'll be able to decide what it does, how it does it, and when it does it. It's going to be confusing at first, but that's what we're all here for.

Ok thanks! I will fight my way through then :) I hope it plays nice with Prison Architect and Anno 2205. What's the range of the wireless signal? Additionally to using it on the TV with Steam Link I want to be able to tether it up to my PC and use Moonlight for iOS to stream to my iPad and use the Steam Controller. Couch and PC are 3 meters away from each other with one wall between them.

ekim

Your controller can connect your controller to your Steam Link (without an extra dongle), so I don't think you'll have much to worry about there. Read this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8082-YJBN-9141#pairing

Moonlight hasn't been working out for me lately. Gamestream has been killing my Steam overlay for most games, and the controller needs that to function.

Perfect. So I can keep the dongle at the PC and just switch to whatever receiver I want. Nice.

Unai

I uploaded an Eldritch setting yesterday and updated it with the Left Bumper mirroring the X (blue xbox) button. I did not re-upload it. So if anyone tries this and has the X button on the Left Bumper we know more ;)

Unfortunately I don't have Eldritch.

Pachimari

I don't understand why I can't get the Steam overlay to turn up in Assassin's Creed: Unity. Is it because it is starting up in an uPlay launcher?

Unai

The controls in Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition area really poor. The camera is horrible and I can't configure it in a way that fells nice.

I see the controller is going to be available in the local Gameshop starting tomorrow

... for $85?????

The controller + Link bundle will be $150+???? Only a couple of dollars cheaper than the Elite, which didn't get marked up.

lol

Ordering from Steam directly would be a lot cheaper.

Nabs

The controls in Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition area really poor. The camera is horrible and I can't configure it a way that fells nice.

Yep. They half assed Steam Controller support. I ended up deleting the game. I'll just wait for them to fix it.

Dare

Banned
I watched a review on this controller on IGN and the reviewer said the XBOX 360 Controller is better.

I'm used to PS2 style controllers and haven't owned a console myself in a very long time but my GF and I are thinking about getting a steammachine.

Also I want to play the new MGS on my pc with a controller.

Should I be getting this or do old controllers work better still?

I watched a review on this controller on IGN and the reviewer said the XBOX 360 Controller is better.

I'm used to PS2 style controllers and haven't owned a console myself in a very long time but my GF and I are thinking about getting a steammachine.

He said it's better because he hasn't used it very long.

The Steam Controller will basically always work AT LEAST as good as any traditional controller, and in many ways will work much better. "How much better" depends from game to game, and on how want you are to dig in, but it will always be at least as good once you've learned how to use it.

Oreoleo

Check the dates on these reviews. If they were posted in October you can almost guarantee they used it for less than a week. If you are really adjusted to the 360 controller it's gonna take longer than that to fully adapt to things. Don't put too much stock in someone else's opinion when they rushed to be one of the first people to upload a review to Youtube.

Unai

I've just realized something very interesting about motion controls. You know those game where you only activate the mouse when you press the right trackpad or a trigger? When you are not pressing the activation button it's possible to map additional buttons to your movement.

In the example below if you move the control up without pressing the trigger it will send the R key to the game. The higher the deadzone the more you have to move your controller. You will also fell the click thanks to the haptics when you reach the point where the key press will be sent to the game. Once you are holding the trigger it will send the mouse movement.

01rksk0.png

02gqsc8.png

The prints are not in English but I hope that they, along with my explanation, will be enough to make my point clear. This might be helpful sometimes.

Red

Game journos by and large did a really poor job critiquing the Steam controller. It does what the 360 controller can do, plus much more. It's a little alien at first. You adjust.

I see the controller is going to be available in the local Gameshop starting tomorrow

... for $85?????

The controller + Link bundle will be $150+???? Only a couple of dollars cheaper than the Elite, which didn't get marked up.

lol

Ordering from Steam directly would be a lot cheaper.

Or Amazon because of two day shipping and no tax.

Nzyme32

The IGN review is quite amusing. No effort was put into exploring the customisations or community bindings in much depth if at all. With the ultimate conclusion being that it doesn't work for practically everything, which is demonstrably disproved. There were other eiditors discussing that they liked it in their podcast, but they seemingly didn't get involved with impressions or reviews outside of that (although I don't go as far as guessing they got "paid off" as Woodside muses). Through the entire month where early impressions and then reviews came out, I didn't see a single outlet mention the added features or trends showing up as solutions from the community, which is pretty much the driving force behind the controllers improvements.

Regardless, the Steam reviews are a lot better at understanding the issues and success between people (if ignoring the joke reviews) with around 82% recommending it. Ultimately you will have to invest some time into it to really get good with the controller to the point where no thought is really required. It also helps for underatanding solutions to issues or ideas you may come up with along the way, when the community bindings don't meet your standards.

Is it possible to configure the analog stick to automatically switch from WASD (walk) to WASD+Shift (run) just by pushing the stick past the half-way point?

Like if I push the stick a little bit it would have me walk, but pushing it further would make it switch to running?

If you're willing to give it a little time, this controller will work better than a traditional controller for most games, on par with traditional controllers for other games. Also, I don't think MGS5 is on SteamOS.

viveks86

Is it possible to configure the analog stick to automatically switch from WASD (walk) to WASD+Shift (run) just by pushing the stick past the half-way point?

Like if I push the stick a little bit it would have me walk, but pushing it further would make it switch to running?

Not the analog stick. That functionality is exclusive to the outer ring of the trackpad (which is what I use for several games)

Not the analog stick. That functionality is exclusive to the outer ring of the trackpad (which is what I use for several games)

Lame, I wonder if they'll ever add the ability to do it with the analog stick too. They've definitely added a ton of other functionality to it since it launched

Nzyme32

Not the analog stick. That functionality is exclusive to the outer ring of the trackpad.

Lame, I wonder if they'll ever add the ability to do it with the analog stick too. They've definitely added a ton of other functionality to it since it launched

It is possible - I do it all the time. If the game has an additional button to run / sprint which is faster than the default wasd, you set it up as the outer edge or outter ring binding (can't remember the exact name).

If the additional key enables walking for wasd, you do the same thing but then select the "inverse" option

If you want to test some examples, see my HL2 Update bindings, KOTOR bindings and Deus Ex bindings, all of which use the inverse function to walk

Edit: Here is what it looks like in the advanced settings for the analogue stick:
OwCJ1fP.png

Dare

Banned
The IGN review is quite amusing. No effort was put into exploring the customisations or community bindings in much depth if at all. With the ultimate conclusion being that it doesn't work for practically everything, which is demonstrably disproved. There were other eiditors discussing that they liked it in their podcast, but they seemingly didn't get involved with impressions or reviews outside of that (although I don't go as far as guessing they got "paid off" as Woodside muses). Through the entire month where early impressions and then reviews came out, I didn't see a single outlet mention the added features or trends showing up as solutions from the community, which is pretty much the driving force behind the controllers improvements.

Regardless, the Steam reviews are a lot better at understanding the issues and success between people (if ignoring the joke reviews) with around 82% recommending it. Ultimately you will have to invest some time into it to really get good with the controller to the point where no thought is really required. It also helps for underatanding solutions to issues or ideas you may come up with along the way, when the community bindings don't meet your standards.

Can you or someone else link me to some in depth explanation videos of the mechanics of the controller?

I played a guy in http://www.reflexfps.net/ Reflex FPS which is basically a clone of Quake 3 CPMA the game fatal1ty became a pro gamer in and he did very well vs me using that controller.

Here's a bit of his stream using it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ3_-5SuHrk

This is what initially made me interesting in the controller but any extra information would be great.

- The fact that he can strafe/circle jump with this controller alone is fascinating to me. You simply can not do that mechanic with any other console controller.

coopolon

Anyone tried it with endless legend? Bought it at the end of the steam sale and am going to give it a try with this controller tomorrow.

viveks86

It is possible - I do it all the time. If the game has an additional button to run / sprint which is faster than the default wasd, you set it up as the outer edge or outter ring binding (can't remember the exact name).

If the additional key enables walking for wasd, you do the same thing but then select the "inverse" option

If you want to test some examples, see my HL2 Update bindings, KOTOR bindings and Deus Ex bindings, all of which use the inverse function to walk

Edit: Here is what it looks like in the advanced settings for the analogue stick:
OwCJ1fP.png

Ha. My bad. I'm so happy with the track pads that I didn't look deep enough into the analog stick :D

Has Valve commented on if they were ever going to create some mode that would allow you to bind the controller, and maintain those bindings, such that you could use it on a console and have it appear as that system's controller?

Nzyme32

Can you or someone else link me to some in depth explanation videos of the mechanics of the controller?

I played a guy in http://www.reflexfps.net/ Reflex FPS which is basically a clone of Quake 3 CPMA the game fatal1ty became a pro gamer in and he did very well vs me using that controller.

Here's a bit of his stream using it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ3_-5SuHrk

This is what initially made me interesting in the controller but any extra information would be great.

- The fact that he can strafe/circle jump with this controller alone is fascinating to me. You simply can not do that mechanic with any other console controller.

For now, perhaps read the OP and check out the videos that are there and explain most stuff. I'll be updating it at some point either this coming week or the week after clearing up some of the old stuff and putting better descriptions and examples of the new stuff.

For FPS, the current go to standard is a mix of the trackball mouse on the right pad and the gyro being used as a mouse for help with small adjustments, activating only when your thumb is on the right pad. People use all kinds of sensitivities to suit them though. Most of the CSGO players are going much higher with their sensitivities after a lot of practice. Here is one setup - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBLZmP5qZ1s

Gruso

Had a run at Dirt Rally last night. I could not get a handle on it with the controller - looks like a lot of setup work is needed. This is a big contrast to GTR2, which with the gyro set to left stick control and no further tweaks, feels completely native and amazing.

Oreoleo

Has Valve commented on if they were ever going to create some mode that would allow you to bind the controller, and maintain those bindings, such that you could use it on a console and have it appear as that system's controller?
I don't think so, but it would certainly be interesting and I don't know why it wouldn't be possible. Do you have to pay royalties or something to release a controller that works with Xbox? I'm at the point I'd like to sell my 360 controllers and just keep my Steam controller for the random occasion I turn my 360 on for something besides Rock Band.

Dare

Banned
f.

For FPS, the current go to standard is a mix of the trackball mouse on the right pad and the gyro being used as a mouse for help with small adjustments, activating only when your thumb is on the right pad. People use all kinds of sensitivities to suit them though. Most of the CSGO players are going much higher with their sensitivities after a lot of practice. Here is one setup - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBLZmP5qZ1s

Dis was a great youtube for what I needed Ty.

Nerrel

Has anyone else tried Resident Evil 6? it seems with all the top configs i end up rolling all the time when i try and move my character around using the anlog stick. Really gets confusing trying to change buttons around when in game it is using keyboard and mouse icons.

By rolling do you mean dodging or diving? I came up with a scheme that I liked well enough, it's listed as "Wii U style." It uses the right grip for dodge/actions, which improves over the face button by letting you quickly dodge while aiming.

You can try mouse joystick mode to keep your button prompts intact, but your turning speeds will be a little slow.

OwCJ1fP.png
Nice! I was thinking there had to be a way to do that, I just couldn't figure out on my own which option it was I had to use.

Thanks!

ekim

So I tried the controller yesterday for the first time with several titles but primarily with Just Cause 3. It was a very mediocre experience. While I got used to the right trackpad as mouse aiming + gyro rather quick, I find the position of the face buttons awkward to reach and they are too small. But I guess this takes additional time to get used to.

What I noticed was, that some titles (Just Cause 3 for example) are not playable with the Steam Controller when you are streaming via Nvidia Gamestream (I tried Moonlight on iOS). Which is a big bummer for me, as I planned to use this combination regularly. I can't really tell what the problem here is. In JC3 it noticed the Mouse inputs from the right pad and it also switched the button layouts when pressing the facebuttons (which are mapped to Xbox buttons) - so the game somehow knew I was pressing a face button, but did nothing. Very weird. In BPM everything works though.

I also played Anno 2205 and I can imagine that after some hours, you would have a pretty good workflow.

Keinu

Is it possible to make the right trackpad work as hold right mouse button + mouse movement at the same time? I'm thinking of trying to set it up for classic mmo camera/movement without holding down a trigger for the right mouse button.

Gruso

So I tried the controller yesterday for the first time with several titles but primarily with Just Cause 3. It was a very mediocre experience. While I got used to the right trackpad as mouse aiming + gyro rather quick, I find the position of the face buttons awkward to reach and they are too small. But I guess this takes additional time to get used to.
You do get used to the small ABXY buttons. I was hitting B instead of A for a good week - so many years of muscle memory to contend with! That said, you may not even need to use them for primary functions in the way a 360 controller uses them. With grip buttons, two stage triggers, touch menus, modifiers, etc etc, it really rewards thinking outside the box.

Nabs

Is it possible to make the right trackpad work as hold right mouse button + mouse movement at the same time? I'm thinking of trying to set it up for classic mmo camera/movement without holding down a trigger for the right mouse button.

You can set a touch binding in advanced mouse settings that'll activate when you touch the pad. Is that what you're asking for?

Keinu

You can set a touch binding in advanced mouse settings that'll activate when you touch the pad. Is that what you're asking for?

Maybe, I'm not entirely sure. Not in front of a pc at the moment, but will look at this when I get home. Thanks.

Touch is different from click I assume?

Gruso

Yeah touch binding is good for that, if you don't mind dedicating that pad to camera movement. Best of all it won't release the click until movement has stopped, so all you need is a flick of the thumb, and the camera pan will decay naturally with the virtual trackball speed.

The blunter option is just to assign pad click to right click, giving you a one-thumb click-and-drag function. Not as elegant, but it does free up the pad for other light-touch uses outside of camera movement.

[edit] Yep, touch activates a function as soon as you make contact, whereas click is a separate and very deliberate action.

Keinu

I see. Yes, that will work I think. Gonna have to test a bit to see what works. Plan to make a profile for Star Wars: The Old Republic. Loved that game but had to stop playing with m+k due to injuries. Hoping I can return and play again now with the steam controller. The touch menu seems very usefull for such a game.

derFeef

You do get used to the small ABXY buttons. I was hitting B instead of A for a good week - so many years of muscle memory to contend with! That said, you may not even need to use them for primary functions in the way a 360 controller uses them. With grip buttons, two stage triggers, touch menus, modifiers, etc etc, it really rewards thinking outside the box.

You can do that with touch bindings but I think it will be a bit janky except if you have a mode switch to turn it on and off because sometimes the mousecursor is at a palce where it should not click, especially in a MMO.

Pachimari

I'm gonna attempt to play Assassin's Creed Unity with this thing but I simply can't control the camera when the right pad functions as an analogue stick. I'll change it mouse cursor.

Can any of you get used to it working as an analogue stick?

Top Bottom