• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

belmonkey

I'm gonna attempt to play Assassin's Creed Unity with this thing but I simply can't control the camera when the right pad functions as an analogue stick. I'll change it mouse cursor.

Can any of you get used to it working as an analogue stick?

I'd be really interested to know this as well. I just can't seem to get the right pad to act as a decent "joystick". I've thought of just trying some games with the right pad as WASD and the joystick as the camera panning instead, although it's a weird change that I don't know if I could get used to.

Gruso

You can do that with touch bindings but I think it will be a bit janky except if you have a mode switch to turn it on and off because sometimes the mousecursor is at a palce where it should not click, especially in a MMO.
Yep you're right. I just tried it out in the Arma map (which is right-click and drag). It feels great, but it's dependent on cursor position - so you need to reposition the cursor if it hits screen edge. I wonder if mouse regions could be useful here? I haven't used them yet, and I'm a big vague on the whole concept.

In other news, another run at Dirt Rally tonight. Doing this in the in-game advanced gamepad settings changed everything:

ii9PUzO.jpg

And then in advanced gyro settings (response curve and deadzones are the important bits):

Aggressive response curve made things super fun and snappy - but only for hillclimb and rallycross events. In regular rally stages, I have to set it back to Linear to make the car even slightly manageable. The narrower, less forgiving tracks are a big factor in this, but it feels like there's more to it than that, and I can't quite put my finger on it. Possibly the different cars and road surfaces too. The game is ridiculously hardcore.

milenko79

Neo Member
I'm gonna attempt to play Assassin's Creed Unity with this thing but I simply can't control the camera when the right pad functions as an analogue stick. I'll change it mouse cursor.

Can any of you get used to it working as an analogue stick?

No, try mousejoystick, I use that on syndicate. Took some fiddling with sensitivity and the most right options in advanced settings (sorry, don't have access to steam right now), but it works great now.

Pachimari

No, try mousejoystick, I use that on syndicate. Took some fiddling with sensitivity and the most right options in advanced settings (sorry, don't have access to steam right now), but it works great now.
I have tried it and it still doesn't work well for me. I have tried different things and the game doesn't work with mouse setting alone. I'll try mouse joystick again and set up the sensitivity.

Spacejaws

I don't understand why I can't get the Steam overlay to turn up in Assassin's Creed: Unity. Is it because it is starting up in an uPlay launcher?

Do you have windows 10? I had to turn off the Xbox record function to use the steam overlay with any Uplay game either bought on Steam or through Uplay as a non-steam game.

Shame quite liked it.

Pachimari

Do you have windows 10? I had to turn off the Xbox record function to use the steam overlay with any Uplay game either bought on Steam or through Uplay as a non-steam game.

Shame quite liked it.

Yes, I'm on Windows 10 but have never used the Xbox record function. I'll try and turn it off.

I still can't get the right pad to act like I want it to. It feels very sluggish compared to an analogue stick but I'm sure I'm not setting it up correctly. I just want a fast moving camera while running around with my character.

Spacejaws

Yes, I'm on Windows 10 but have never used the Xbox record function. I'll try and turn it off.

I still can't get the right pad to act like I want it to. It feels very sluggish compared to an analogue stick but I'm sure I'm not setting it up correctly. I just want a fast moving camera while running around with my character.

Might be some other program for you then. Anything with an overlay is usually a good bet, fraps, bandicam, uplay in game aswell you'll just need to expiriment I'm afraid.

I quite like using the mouse-joystick setting with trackball mode and friction at either medium or low. You get quite used to how much of a flick you need to spin the camera at the right point I got to a point where a few hours through unity I stopped noticing the controller.

You can then set a mode shift to mouse joystick with high traction using the left trigger full pull to give the sensation of a sensitivity shift, or put gyro controls on there too. My big thing is to try and keep the ingame prompts consistent I hate seeing the icon prompts shift.

Pachimari

Might be some other program for you then. Anything with an overlay is usually a good bet, fraps, bandicam, uplay in game aswell you'll just need to expiriment I'm afraid.

I quite like using the mouse-joystick setting with trackball mode and friction at either medium or low. You get quite used to how much of a flick you need to spin the camera at the right point I got to a point where a few hours through unity I stopped noticing the controller.

You can then set a mode shift to mouse joystick with high traction using the left trigger full pull to give the sensation of a sensitivity shift, or put gyro controls on there too. My big thing is to try and keep the ingame prompts consistent I hate seeing the icon prompts shift.

Turning off Game DVR didn't work. I forgot to turn off FRAPS though. Will try that too.

I'll play around with the right pad, but I don't think I can get the same feel as a right analogue stick.

milenko79

Neo Member
I have tried it and it still doesn't work well for me. I have tried different things and the game doesn't work with mouse setting alone. I'll try mouse joystick again and set up the sensitivity.

Turning off Game DVR didn't work. I forgot to turn off FRAPS though. Will try that too.

I'll play around with the right pad, but I don't think I can get the same feel as a right analogue stick.

It was really sluggish for me in syndicate to. Ingame i have sensitivity set at the highest

Then for the right stick under advanced I set Minimum joystick output x and y to about halfway of the slider and edge spin radius to about 80 percent of the slider.

Now it feels snappy to me.

Unai

Now that I'm playing using the Steam Controller for a few weeks, the xbox one controller fells so tiny and weird in the hands. Also my fingers were going to the wrong place all the time.

Azax

So I got a controller. Got it earlier than I expected!
But damn, this controller is... Awesome! It fits my hands so perfectly. It feels so natural.
I have only tried it for one hour maybe and the moment I grabbed it, I was amazed.

Looking forward to the many days I will use it. I don't think I will use the 360 controller anymore.

Iorv3th

So have a problem with CS:GO. Every time I try to use a community binding it loads up with nothing bound, just blanks. Every single one is blank. Tried other games and they load correctly with buttons etc. Tried resetting etc and CS:GO still shows blank...

Hylian7

I might post about this in the Elite: Dangerous threads, but I've got a little problem here. The Elite: Dangerous expansion, Horizons, came out in beta the other day and it involves planetary landings where you drive a little rover/buggy-like vehicle called an SRV. It basically controls similar to a car.

I use a HOTAS for my ship in Elite, but driving the buggy with the HOTAS sucks, and I want to use my Steam controller for it. If I have an Xbox 360 controller connected, it works just fine: When I'm in my ship, I can use the HOTAS to fly it, and then when I drop on the ground, I can use the Xbox 360 controller to drive the buggy.

The problem comes when I try to do this with the Steam controller. If I start the game with the Steam controller on, the Steam controller completely overrides the HOTAS, making the HOTAS not work and only the Steam controller and keyboard do things in the game. If I turn the controller on after starting the game, then the Steam controller does not work.

I guess my question is, is there any way I can make the Steam controller basically "pretend" to be an Xbox 360 controller? I know there is the gamepad control configs, but that does not work, it still makes the controller override the HOTAS, or the controller does not work at all.

Speely

Banned
My favorite things about this controller:

The haptic feedback and the sound of it. I never want to play without this again. More practically, the physical feedback tells me very accurately where my thumb is on the pad. One thing I would like to see in the future is a slider setting for the trackball friction rather than just the three settings there are now. Medium is JUST a bit light for me and High is JUST a bit stiff.

I love the way it feels in my hands and how it directs my thumbs to the pads.

The back buttons (all of them) are tits. Currently playing through Pillars of Eternity with the SC and it REALLY makes the game more enjoyable for me. Being able to lounge and generally be a lazy ass while playing the game is awesome. Things like scouting mode and map being available via a pinky twitch is rad. QoL stuff. It's the kind of game I am used to only experiencing hovering over a kb/m, and playing it with a customizable controller is amazing.

And that's what I see as the SC's main strength: making kb/m games more enjoyable.

Question: has anyone come up with a decent Dark Souls config? Game seems specifically set up to make this impossible, but that might just be my own ineptitude.

Now that I'm playing using the Steam Controller for a few weeks, the xbox one controller fells so tiny and weird in the hands. Also my fingers were going to the wrong place all the time.

Man, tell me about it. I picked up my old Wii U gamepad and my hands almost imploded. Felt fine (albeit very toy-like) after a couple of minutes but it really felt like I had never held anything even resembling this at first.

Yet I'd still need a Steam Controller XL to avoid hand fatigue with my huge hands, ugh.

Pachimari

It was really sluggish for me in syndicate to. Ingame i have sensitivity set at the highest

Then for the right stick under advanced I set Minimum joystick output x and y to about halfway of the slider and edge spin radius to about 80 percent of the slider.

Now it feels snappy to me.

Hmm, I have tried something similar and I'm getting used to it. I would still like for the sensitivity to be higher though. I can change the Y axis but not the X axis.

Yet I'd still need a Steam Controller XL to avoid hand fatigue with my huge hands, ugh.
I can agree with this. I think it should have had longer handles, so that my thumbs would rest fine on the pads, instead of being positioned slightly above the pads, unless I move the controller up. I can see fatigue being an issue.

belmonkey

I tried binding ALT-TAB in a game and launching it without BPM to see if the function would work. It does work to get out of a game, but then all the game's bindings are still being used when navigating Windows. Is there a way to fix that?

Blizzard

Banned
I tried binding ALT-TAB in a game and launching it without BPM to see if the function would work. It does work to get out of a game, but then all the game's bindings are still being used when navigating Windows. Is there a way to fix that?
Is there a way to simultaneously alt-tab and mode shift? That might work, and then you could define some basic Windows controls in a different mode.

belmonkey

Is there a way to simultaneously alt-tab and mode shift? That might work, and then you could define some basic Windows controls in a different mode.

I kinda need too many controls for games to have many spots to spare for when I might tab out. It'd be nice if that could be fixed so it reverts to the Windows bindings despite a game being open in the background. On a related note: every button really needs mode-shifting; something like Alt-Tab or Ctrl-Alt-Dlt really universally belongs on a mode-shifted Start/Select button.

Hylian7

I'm trying to use Xbox 360 CE with my Steam Controller and apparently Windows doesn't even consider it a gamepad?! The fuck?!

Nabs

Late Steam Controller update:

Steam Controller
  • Added Horizontal and Vertical modes to Scroll Wheel
  • Added momentum to Scroll Wheel
  • Fixed loading legacy community configurations for games that have native support for the controller
  • Added support for calibrating the IMU and Analog Stick through the support tool (local connection only, not streaming)

they added other things to that

Added Gyro Lean Point setting, changes the threshold where lean bindings will be triggered
Added media keys - Play/Pause, Stop, Volume Up, Volume Down, Mute, Next Track, Previous Track are now available as keyboard bindings
Added Windows/Super Key bindings
Fixed Anti-deadzone behavior - fixed a bug with axial popping with anti-deadzone

Unai

Late Steam Controller update:

Steam Controller
  • Added Horizontal and Vertical modes to Scroll Wheel
  • Added momentum to Scroll Wheel
    [*]Fixed loading legacy community configurations for games that have native support for the controller
  • Added support for calibrating the IMU and Analog Stick through the support tool (local connection only, not streaming)

This will help peolple in Counter Strike.

Edit: Darksiders 2 is now finally playable using Mouse Joystick. The camera is still too low but it's like that even with the xbox controller. Fortunaly you can turn you character around and press LT to do a 180 with the camera.

belmonkey

they added other things to that

Added Gyro Lean Point setting, changes the threshold where lean bindings will be triggered
Added media keys - Play/Pause, Stop, Volume Up, Volume Down, Mute, Next Track, Previous Track are now available as keyboard bindings
Added Windows/Super Key bindings
Fixed Anti-deadzone behavior - fixed a bug with axial popping with anti-deadzone

Any idea what these are? Anything interesting to do with it?

Edit: Well there does seem to be more buttons available for binding.

Jinkies

I'd be really interested to know this as well. I just can't seem to get the right pad to act as a decent "joystick". I've thought of just trying some games with the right pad as WASD and the joystick as the camera panning instead, although it's a weird change that I don't know if I could get used to.

I played FO4 with Joystick Camera. In the past, I avoided this mode, but Mouse Joystick wasn't working.

It was very weird at first, but you need to give it a few hours. It really does work exactly like a right stick… except that it's completely flat.

Perhaps a better model to follow would have been the 3DS slide pad, but at present it works fine with practice.

Any idea what these are? Anything interesting to do with it?

Edit: Well there does seem to be more buttons available for binding.

The Windows key is very useful in desktop mode for doing all kinds of things. Win+D allows you to go directly to the desktop, which might be nice if a game window loses focus and you can't get it back otherwise.

Gruso

The Windows key is very useful in desktop mode for doing all kinds of things. Win+D allows you to go directly to the desktop, which might be nice if a game window loses focus and you can't get it back otherwise.
It's also really useful for turning Windows 8.1 into a controller friendly OS. Previously with my 360 controller (along with some mapping tools) I set the Xbox button to Windows key, d-pad to arrows, and A to enter. This made the Start/Metro menu just like navigating a console. Excellent HTPC interface!

All that's left is configuration of Big picture mode to make Shadowplay capture easy and configurable.

Mechazawa

So I tried the controller yesterday for the first time with several titles but primarily with Just Cause 3. It was a very mediocre experience. While I got used to the right trackpad as mouse aiming + gyro rather quick, I find the position of the face buttons awkward to reach and they are too small. But I guess this takes additional time to get used to.

Like Gruso said, there's an adjustment period with the buttons. I kept hitting the wrong ones all the time initially, but your going to pick up on that in no time.

Also, hey everyone, my Just Cause 3 config has 400 users on Steam, bow before meeeeeeeeee.

Nzyme32

For the few people like me who noticed that the numpad "/" binding actually binds to the standard "/", which caused issues in older games such as Deus Ex, it is going to be resolved in one of the next patches.

dsk1210

Like Gruso said, there's an adjustment period with the buttons. I kept hitting the wrong ones all the time initially, but your going to pick up on that in no time.

Also, hey everyone, my Just Cause 3 config has 400 users on Steam, bow before meeeeeeeeee.

I hope you made a good one. ;)

Layell

Anyone figured out how to get this working with Shadow Complex (also download it now while it's free everyone). It seems fine when not in big picture mode but the trackpad doesn't seem to be enjoying itself.

Nabs

Anyone figured out how to get this working with Shadow Complex (also download it now while it's free everyone).

You can add the exe to Steam, but it still has to go through that annoying launcher. I found that I had to edit the controller config before launching the game, and that I couldn't edit it on the fly while I was playing it. It was really annoying.

If you plan on going with a mouse right pad (vs mouse joystick), you'll have to configure the analog stick as wasd, with an inverted outer ring bind for ctrl, so you can aim and walk/run at the same time.

The game exe is located at: Program Files\Epic Games\ShadowComplexRemastered\Binaries\Win32

I think you can also just add the launcher directly. That might be better. I haven't had a chance to test it.

Long term review from Luke at Linustechtips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsKg9xr0_7c

That didn't seem like a long term review at all. It just looked like one they just put off for a long time. Meh.

I was trying to use my Steam Controller with Elite Dangerous Horizons Beta. I have to launch the game as a non-Steam game, I went into Big Picture Mode and set the mappings to be mostly XInput buttons and sticks with the right pad as a mouse, however, when I launched the game (not from BPM) it doesn't seem like any of the mappings sticking. Do I have to launch the game from BPM to use the mappings I set up for the game? Is there a limitation for non-Steam games? I'd love to use it for driving the SRV, I'm currently using HOTAS from flying, Xbox One controller for SRV but the Steam Controller has some potentially great improvements for this game. I just don't want to go through mapping everything in a strange way to get it to work the way I want it to.

quick question: What's the option to move the keyboard window after pressing the left stick when trying to type outside of steam? often, the window opens up and i can only see half of it, which you can imagine would make typing kinda tough

madjoki

I was trying to use my Steam Controller with Elite Dangerous Horizons Beta. I have to launch the game as a non-Steam game, I went into Big Picture Mode and set the mappings to be mostly XInput buttons and sticks with the right pad as a mouse, however, when I launched the game (not from BPM) it doesn't seem like any of the mappings sticking. Do I have to launch the game from BPM to use the mappings I set up for the game? Is there a limitation for non-Steam games?

It should work. I played AC Syndicate /w steam controller and launching it from regular client after first time.

sheaaaa

Hey guys, I ordered a Steam Controller finally, and I'm looking forward to getting to grips with it.

Anything I should know before starting up? What are the best practices, things I should really be doing or looking at before starting to use it?

Also what are the best games to try it out with, stuff that is simple to set up and better with the Steam controller?

It should work. I played AC Syndicate /w steam controller and launching it from regular client after first time.

Interesting. I'll give it another try. Maybe it had something to do with turning on the controller while the game was running. That isn't a problem for Elite with an Xbox One controller but may it's an issue specific to the Steam Controller. If that's the case it may not work because most of the time I'll be using the HOTAS and then turning on the Steam Controller when I land.

madjoki

Interesting. I'll give it another try. Maybe it had something to do with turning on the controller while the game was running. That isn't a problem for Elite with an Xbox One controller but may it's an issue specific to the Steam Controller. If that's the case it may not work because most of the time I'll be using the HOTAS and then turning on the Steam Controller when I land.

Could be, I had to turn before launching AC Syndicate. (I assumed it was Ubisofts fault)

Hey guys, I ordered a Steam Controller finally, and I'm looking forward to getting to grips with it.

Anything I should know before starting up? What are the best practices, things I should really be doing or looking at before starting to use it?

Also what are the best games to try it out with, stuff that is simple to set up and better with the Steam controller?

Nabs made a post last page: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=187397442&postcount=3805

Could be, I had to turn before launching AC Syndicate. (I assumed it was Ubisofts fault)

That seems to be the issue. Unfortunately, if I have the controller on when I start the game, Elite switches to a XInput configuration automatically and ignores my HOTAS. With the Xbox controller I launch the game with it off and the HOTAS mappings work. I turn it on and the HOTAS mappings continue to work and the controls I have mapped to the controller work as well. With the Steam controller if I turn it on the controller when the game is already running it doesn't appear to use the mappings I set up. If I turn it on before I launch, the mappings work but the game ignores my HOTAS. I was freaked out for a minute, thinking that my HOTAS mappings were removed. Mapping all those controls just right on a HOTAS is an undertaking I don't want to try and replicate.

So it just looks like in this admittedly abnormal situation, hybrid HOTAS and controller set up in Elite, I can't use the Steam Controller and I'll have to stick to the Xbox One. Damn. I had some great ideas for the mouse aiming and ui navigation.

zbarron

Has anyone else had a problem with Team Fortress 2 and the Steam Controller?

For a while it was good but I tried playing it earlier today and I was doing poorly. At first I thought it was just me but then realized whenever I respawned I was looking at the floor. The same thing happens as a spy when switching to and from the disguise kit. That made me think maybe it wasn't me that was the problem.

Top Bottom