• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

deadfolk

Simple d-pad with WASD and overlapping. I haven't tried to mess with the other options tho, I find this one good enough.

I've uploaded the config as "Kharnete bindings". You may want to change the touch menu position or size, I'm just used to have it there. Also, I can't remember if on the end game we would need more than 7 buttons on it, but that's something easy to fix.

Thanks, I'll try it out the next time I'm playing.

belmonkey

Relating to the touch menu, theoretically, might it be possible software-wise to take picture icons associated with certain keybindings and apply them to the associated buttons in a touch menu? For instance, let's say the skill Prayer of Healing (from World of Warcraft) is bound to the "1" key; if that same key is used in a touch menu, could Steam / the overlay find that icon from the game files and apply it into the touch menu automatically?

Unai

Finally getting the hang of touchpad + gyro controls in CSGO. Getting a kill hasn't felt so satisfying since Splatoon early days. The controller is really surprising with what you're able to accomplish. Just one question, what input type do people use for the gyro: camera, mouse, mouse joystick? I'm using camera and it seems to work, but it was on mouse for a bit, and then it would crash the game from conflicting binds. Mouse Joystick doesn't seem to work at all for me, just barely wiggles. Also for the right touchpad mouse aiming, do people use trackback or none. Trackball feels like it gives me better feedback for what I want. Trying to find that perfect fit, like Splatoon feels.

Mouse only is usually the best option if the game accepts it, followed by Joystick Mouse. I prefer trackball on, usually on normal.

Nymerio

Relating to the touch menu, theoretically, might it be possible software-wise to take picture icons associated with certain keybindings and apply them to the associated buttons in a touch menu? For instance, let's say the skill Prayer of Healing (from World of Warcraft) is bound to the "1" key; if that same key is used in a touch menu, could Steam / the overlay find that icon from the game files and apply it into the touch menu automatically?

I think it'd be easier for everyone to just provide you with a directory where you can put custom icons. With the amount of different file types different games use it wouldn't be feasible to let you pick directly from say the archive where wow stores it's icons.

Veal

So Warframe. I mapped jump to the left trigger, melee using right trackpad click in both modes. Shit is tight as Hell now! It feels so good to be able to move, shoot and melee with ease. I finally feel like a ninja in space!

I didn't really enjoy playing it before because of have to make too many compromises: playing with m&kb wasn't ideal because trying to pull off certain maneuvers required so many button presses that I always felt like I was just fumbling. Melee wasn't very good either. I never felt like I could map the button somewhere comfortable. On the flipside, using a standard controller meant you missed out on mouse aiming and the default binds were not that great.

Tried HL2 last night with an amazing feeling mouse/gyro setup. It was beyond what I had hoped for when it comes to FPS with this controller. I'm gonna have to try and copy those settings and apply them to ever FPS going forward.

Tried HL2 last night with an amazing feeling mouse/gyro setup. It was beyond what I had hoped for when it comes to FPS with this controller. I'm gonna have to try and copy those settings and apply them to ever FPS going forward.

How close is it to mouse movement when it comes to the trackpad?

How does the gyro compare to the DS4 or Wii Motion Plus?

belmonkey

Maybe just dumb luck, but I tried playing CS:GO this morning and got two 700+ score TDM games in a row on Office, then I tried it with my m + kb whilst actually trying and just barely hit 700 while having a few more deaths than with the controller :/

I'd practice more with the controller, but I'm trying to get better with the mouse first.

atr0cious

I'd practice more with the controller, but I'm trying to get better with the mouse first.
You're great for trying to keep your relationship strong lol. Add me on steam, names in profile, we can practice together in secret.
How close is it to mouse movement when it comes to the trackpad?

How does the gyro compare to the DS4 or Wii Motion Plus?
I've tried using the ds4 with gyro and it just feels looser and less responsive through ds4forwindows. Also less ability to have it recalibrate, compared to mode shifting and and just how the gyro is configured for the steam controller makes all the difference. Being able to have settings like Splatoon, with the touch pads limited to horizontal also helps. The Wii i game pad is still king, but it's nice not needing an ir bar for constant calibration and tracking.

MNC

Can someone confirm/deny that my controller bindings, even if they're private, get carried over to the cloud and if I get to a different computer, my bindings are there?

belmonkey

I took off the back panel and replaced the batteries, but now my back panel / grips seem extra clicky. Have I done it wrong or just not noticed how truly clicky it is?

Shawsie64

Banned

A good way to do it is grab GamerMuscle's Gyro setup and put in your steam templates folder.. Can use it as an excellent base for all FPS games. Here's his setup and instructions:

Nzyme32

A good way to do it is grab GamerMuscle's Gyro setup and put in your steam templates folder.. Can use it as an excellent base for all FPS games. Here's his setup and instructions:

Nice, didn't know about making your own templates.

What the Steam Controller could definitely benefit from is having that template area easily updated by users, but also more regularly updated by Valve. It seems fairly clear at this point that for FPS or aiming centric games the gyro is an excellent feature that's almost a requirement. Yet that isn't in any template yet. Voting for templates might be very beneficial in the long run, or perhaps genre specific sections for templates and voting on the best ones for those games.

Come to think of it it may also be helpful for the community to be able to highlight games that currently don't support simultaneous mouse and gamepad, for those so inclined.

What also be massively useful is being able to take a binding and labelling set from one game and apply it to another in it's entirety, or being able to do that in a more fine grain way, almost like a copy and paste function. It would be just as helpful to also be able to do that on the fly for a current binding you are messing with. I can't even count the number of times I set something up like a touch menu on one pad, then decided I want it on the other, and have to re-enter everything again. Would be so much easier to be able to copy or cut them and apply them where I want.

Nabs

Bastion is such a joy to play. I only wanted to test out a potential config, but I ended up beating the whole thing all over again. It works so well in keyboard/mouse mode.

Here's my config if anyone wants. The game is perfect with a slightly tweaked Mouse Region.

Help guys! I just got my STEAM controller yesterday but for some reason it doesn't work on the OG Thief I & II. Any troubleshooting tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Note: Also, non-game layout still doesn't work as well.

Boxuv

Neo Member
Help guys! I just got my STEAM controller yesterday but for some reason it doesn't work on the OG Thief I & II. Any troubleshooting tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Note: Also, non-game layout still doesn't work as well.

Did you do the initial setup and updated firmware once you got the controller?
And add the games to steam under non-steam game to get overlays working.

terrible

Banned
It was a pain in the butt getting the Origin version of Mass Effect to work in BPM as a non Steam game! The in-game Steam overlay refused to work and the controller wasn't working at all. It turned out I had to run Steam as an administrator. Once I did that it worked fine.

Just a heads up in case someone else has the same problem in the future.

Did you do the initial setup and updated firmware once you got the controller?
And add the games to steam under non-steam game to get overlays working.

Got it working. Turns out I need to reinstall the game in a different folder than apply the TTFix on top before running the game. Strange.

Also, Fallout 1 bindings only work with the trackpad and shoulder buttons unfortunately. Valve really needs to up their drivers with their pad.

EDIT: Managed to get the bindings fine for Resident Evil Rev 2. But that's when I noticed how flawed the button placements are below the trackpad that makes it difficult to dodge. I can deal with hybrid inputs on top of the trackpad but it's only 1 button. I hope Valve gives more customization so I can apply the buttons within the trackpad simultaneously..

Nabs

Got it working. Turns out I need to reinstall the game in a different folder than apply the TTFix on top before running the game. Strange.

Also, Fallout 1 bindings only work with the trackpad and shoulder buttons unfortunately. Valve really needs to up their drivers with their pad.

EDIT: Managed to get the bindings fine for Resident Evil Rev 2. But that's when I noticed how flawed the button placements are below the trackpad that makes it difficult to dodge. I can deal with hybrid inputs on top of the trackpad but it's only 1 button. I hope Valve gives more customization so I can apply the buttons within the trackpad simultaneously..

Check out Mode Shifting. You can set it to a d-pad/button pad when you click the right touch pad or hold down a trigger/grip.

I think your issue with Fallout is with the overlay not working. There may be another solution out there, but running it as a non-steam game should do it.

The gyro config is super weird to me. Up/down works as I would expect (tilting the controller up and down), but for left/right I can't tilt the controller left/right but actually have to move it to my left or right for gyro controls to be noticed. Sitting on a couch, this becomes beyond unwieldy. I've tried turning the controller on, while it's flat on a table - is there some other recalibration I can do in case that's the problem?

Is it me expecting something it doesn't do, have I set it up wrong, or do I have a faulty controller?

Edit: Oh right, you just leave it still for a few seconds to recalibrate. I'll try that later.

Oreoleo

The gyro config is super weird to me. Up/down works as I would expect (tilting the controller up and down), but for left/right I can't tilt the controller left/right but actually have to move it to my left or right for gyro controls to be noticed. Sitting on a couch, this becomes beyond unwieldy. I've tried turning the controller on, while it's flat on a table - is there some other recalibration I can do in case that's the problem?

Is it me expecting something it doesn't do, have I set it up wrong, or do I have a faulty controller?

Edit: Oh right, you just leave it still for a few seconds to recalibrate. I'll try that later.

What you're describing is yaw vs roll. The controller gyro is set to yaw by default but you can change it to roll in advanced options.

8V3ys81.gif

Nete

Touch Menu + Shadowplay = RIP Touch Menu. I suppose it's related to Shadowplay using some kind of overlay even when you deactivate the few options about that, but things like the Steam FPS counter aren't affected and it works fine with Fraps which also uses an overlay for FPS.

What program would you use to record gameplay to show the touch menu and other fancy things in action? Fraps ignores the overlay.

What you're describing is yaw vs roll. The controller gyro is set to yaw by default but you can change it to roll in advanced options.

8V3ys81.gif
Oh, cheers, I didn't even consider it would do that. I'll check that out soon!

I wonder if the manual covers all this (doubtful). Also, I wonder where I put my manual.

having another annoying problem with my new replacement unit

noticed this while playing The Witcher 2. in menus, when pressing the analog stick in a direction, it sometimes acts as if i pressed twice in that direction. i think it's limited to just when i press downwards, but i feel like i've noticed it happening on the BPM menus in other directions as well.

same thing happened on the main menu of Portal 2. has anyone else experienced this? i guess im going to have to just send this one back too

I apologise to you all for doubting the efficiency of gyro. I enabled it for my Fallout 4 config and it's made the world of difference!

datamage

Ive experienced a couple quirks with my controller, and up to now, I've just assumed it's beta stuff. Want to run it by you guys to see what you think..

Gyro drift, this occurs intermittently, but at times, the gyro will just start to drift on its own in one direction. Sometimes, just going back and forth between the Steam overlay fixes it, other times it just goes away on its own.

Also, there are times where my left d-pad doesn't respond. (I set it to just touch 90% of the time.) Again, going back and forth between the steam overlay usually brings it back. Other times, I just press different buttons on the controller, and the d-pad will start responding again.

I'm having a weird issue that may or may not be related to the Steam controller.

The controller works great in Star Citizen (although you have to run both Steam and the SC shortcut as Admin), but when you run the game via Big Picture mode, Steam seems to take control of my HOTAS (X55) and not let the game detect it. Both the joystick and throttle show up under "controllers" in Steam, and I can partially control the Big Picture menus using the throttle.

Basically, this issue means I can use either my HOTAS or the Steam controller in Star Citizen, but not both at the same time. Anybody have any ideas?

Ive experienced a couple quirks with my controller, and up to now, I've just assumed it's beta stuff. Want to run it by you guys to see what you think..

Gyro drift, this occurs intermittently, but at times, the gyro will just start to drift on its own in one direction. Sometimes, just going back and forth between the Steam overlay fixes it, other times it just goes away on its own.

Also, there are times where my left d-pad doesn't respond. (I set it to just touch 90% of the time.) Again, going back and forth between the steam overlay usually brings it back. Other times, I just press different buttons on the controller, and the d-pad will start responding again.

I've experienced some quirks like this too. Also some things like changes that I made to the control layout not being instantly applied, or certain button combinations pulling up the overlay (ones that aren't in any way Shift+Tab). No idea how to work around it yet, so I'm guessing it's just driver jank.

Speaking of which, didn't they say something about non-Steam game community layout support soon? Getting tired of doing the workarounds for my GOG titles.

Nabs

New update coming sometime today:

Today we're shipping an update to Steam Beta that includes a large overhaul of the way we handle configurations for Steam Controllers. We chose to not include it in last week's main Steam client update because it's likely there'll be some teething pains, due to the amount of change involved. It initially enables a small set of new features, but more importantly, it puts us in a position where we'll be able to easily add more features related to community configurations.

After you get the update, you'll be prompted to register your controller to your account. Doing this tells Steam which account to draw configurations from. After you've then personalized your controller, you'll go through a migration process, where we take any configurations you've made and move them over to the new system. This could take a little while if you have a lot of configurations, but it will be a one-time operation.

The controller & account registration system allows you to take your controller to another PC and easily use your configurations, even if you're not the account logged into Steam on that PC. When playing games with multiple controllers, this also allows each controller to have its own configuration, a feature we previously weren't supporting properly. The backend changes we made to support this system also made it much easier to support community sharing of configurations for non-Steam games, so we managed to get that feature in as well.

Nzyme32

Steam Controller December 15th Beta Update
Today we're shipping an update to Steam Beta that includes a large overhaul of the way we handle configurations for Steam Controllers. We chose to not include it in last week's main Steam client update because it's likely there'll be some teething pains, due to the amount of change involved. It initially enables a small set of new features, but more importantly, it puts us in a position where we'll be able to easily add more features related to community configurations.

After you get the update, you'll be prompted to register your controller to your account. Doing this tells Steam which account to draw configurations from. After you've then personalized your controller, you'll go through a migration process, where we take any configurations you've made and move them over to the new system. This could take a little while if you have a lot of configurations, but it will be a one-time operation.

The controller & account registration system allows you to take your controller to another PC and easily use your configurations, even if you're not the account logged into Steam on that PC. When playing games with multiple controllers, this also allows each controller to have its own configuration, a feature we previously weren't supporting properly. The backend changes we made to support this system also made it much easier to support community sharing of configurations for non-Steam games, so we managed to get that feature in as well.
Edit - NABS!

Anyway, sounds interesting, and ever the tinker, I'll dive in an see how things go!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So I got a Steam controller to mess around with, it is whatever, fun to screw with and a lot to get used to.

But I just went to use my 360 controller and it wouldn't work until I unplugged the steam controller wireless receiver from my computer.

That isn't right is it? Can you really not go back and forth between both without unplugging the steam controller receiver?

c0Zm1c

So I got a Steam controller to mess around with, it is whatever, fun to screw with and a lot to get used to.

But I just went to use my 360 controller and it wouldn't work until I unplugged the steam controller wireless receiver from my computer.

That isn't right is it? Can you really not go back and forth between both without unplugging the steam controller receiver?

My wireless 360 controller works fine with both the receivers plugged in.

kodecraft

Mine does this as well.

Nabs

Beta is now live

Steam Controller
  • Added per-account Controller Personalization.
  • Added support for Configuration Travelling, see http://store.steampowered.com/controller/update/dec15 for details.
  • Added Touch Menu icon support for more binding types and natively supported Game Action Sets.
  • Added Trigger Mouse Dampening options for soft pull/soft+full pull. Defaults to previous Soft Pull only mode.
  • Added mouse region snapping support for non-mode-shifted mouse regions. Mouse regions can now snap or not-snap to previous position when they're not in use.
  • Overlay Disabled message is now shown in Big Picture game screen when the overlay is disabled.
  • Fixed numpad / binding not working properly in windows
  • Default Deadzone type for Joystick Move on Right Pad is now Circle

Nabs

This is a real beta. Lots of bugs for sure. Steam keeps crashing for me while browsing BPM, and some games won't let me look at the config at all.

Nabs

Did your controller migrate its configurations?

Yeah, it took around 10 minutes to migrate. Most configs seem to work just fine, but a few give me an endless loading screen.

Also, BPM/Steam crashes when I try to make my way to the Category Filter.

me0wish

This thing is awesome, all the negative reception made me skeptical, but man it feels awesome playing games not meant to be played by a controller, love how easy it is running some of the games that lack controller settings.

Testing it with The Evil Within was such a joy, aiming is so good with this thing, my main complaint is that some games don't work well when u set it to work both as a controller and a keyboard.

I commend Valve for taking risks and giving something new to the market,

Gyro - Mouse = a god send.

I love this thing. It's so nice and precise. There's definitely a steep learning curve but once you start getting the hang of it, it really becomes quite a powerful tool.

The hardest part for me so far (I just got mine this past weekend) is using the right touch pad in conjunction with the face buttons. A big part of which is simply getting used to dropping your thumb and moving back up to the pad instead of the other way around.

Top Bottom