• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Gyro - Mouse = a god send.

I love this thing. It's so nice and precise. There's definitely a steep learning curve but once you start getting the hang of it, it really becomes quite a powerful tool.

The hardest part for me so far (I just got mine this past weekend) is using the right touch pad in conjunction with the face buttons. A big part of which is simply getting used to dropping your thumb and moving back up to the pad instead of the other way around.

Just stop using face buttons.

No really, experiment with your control settings, go wild, bind your face buttons to your pads and use the grips, and you'll forget about the buttons reeeaaaal quick.

Yeah, it took around 10 minutes to migrate. Most configs seem to work just fine, but a few give me an endless loading screen.

Also, BPM/Steam crashes when I try to make my way to the Category Filter.

Hmm, that's weird. I haven't had any crashes at all since the update.

metalhead79

Neo Member
I tried republishing my config for Grim Dawn and it just uploads a generic binding with the generic message, won't upload my custom config.

I let the controller go through the migration process after downloading the new update and now all my non steam game configurations have completely disappeared. :(

Thanks for posting about this. I'm gonna go ahead and make a backup of my configs before the update rolls out on my end. Really hoping it's easy enough to get them going again.

AdrianF

Valve
They should NOT be deleted and should still be on your drive. We just have a bug where the new system is looking in the wrong spot for old Non-Steam configuration files.

I don't believe we migrate Non-Steam configurations.

Exuro

Oh man the start up and shut down sounds are awesome. Would be cool if we could make our own custom ones.

edit: and after shutting off the controller it isn't coming back on. :(

edit2: seems i have to wait a while to be able to turn it back on. kind of odd. Tried it a second time and have to wait a few minutes,

Lingitiz

Did the update break all community configs for anyone else? Also nonsteam games are being treated as one config and it always saves the last one regardless of which nonsteam game you play...

Yeah this update is garbage. All my non steam configs are gone and some of them took hours for me to get right.
Yep. All the community configs disappeared (the highest Fallout 4 config has 2 users), my previous configs vanished, and it won't save any changes to a config (e.g. I change joystick to mouse joystick, return to the game, go back into the menu, it's back at joystick).

Feels like there's some lag in there too, but hard to tell since the controller feels absolutely terrible right now. I was starting to like this thing, and this update has really taken the wind from my sails.

Nabs

Yep. All the community configs disappeared (the highest Fallout 4 config has 2 users), my previous configs vanished, and it won't save any changes to a config (e.g. I change joystick to mouse joystick, return to the game, go back into the menu, it's back at joystick).

Feels like there's some lag in there too, but hard to tell since the controller feels absolutely terrible right now. I was starting to like this thing, and this update has really taken the wind from my sails.
Just opt out of the beta until things are ironed out. I doubt it'll take long.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Haven't tried this in over a month. Let's see if the community has given Just Cause 1 a controller config to make it similar to Just Cause 2.

*boots up in Big Picture Mode begrudgingly, boots Just Cause 1*

"No Community Configs Found."

Well... back into the box it goes for another month, I guess.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
What an unfortunate coincidence. I'm sure it will be fixed today if you want to try again.

Nzyme32

Migration seemed to go fine for me. Was done in about 1 minute, and for the quick glance at games I have used, the bindings are still there. Will test it out more thoroughly in an hour or so.

Really like the customisation of on / off noises, they are bizarrely adorable.

hepburn3d

I love them!!! The "Next Level" tone is epic for a turn on sound :) though I'm sure the novelty will wear off eventually.

So what's everyone called their controllers?

I went for HAL 5000

Aru

I lost my Diablo 3 bindings during the migration, it was the only non-Steam game I made a profile for, so I guess it's not too bad. I've published my bindings for anyone interested :) There are already some other bindings on there.

sirap

Haven't tried this in over a month. Let's see if the community has given Just Cause 1 a controller config to make it similar to Just Cause 2.

*boots up in Big Picture Mode begrudgingly, boots Just Cause 1*

"No Community Configs Found."

Well... back into the box it goes for another month, I guess.

Why not create one for yourself?

Won

I guess I "lost" my Guild Wars 2 config with this whole hiccup? Kinda sucks, because I don't remember the finer details like pad sensitivity.

lazygecko

Does proper analog 3D movement not work if the controller is set to work as an interpreter for m+kb? My movement in Skyrim is still a simple on/off toggle.

Just opt out of the beta until things are ironed out. I doubt it'll take long.
Well it's likely too late for that, I imagine. I've been in the Steam beta for years and never had anything disappear and become so unworkable to this extent.

At least the controller works OK if the standard config suits.

I can be patient - it's just annoying when you only have one evening in a week to play games, want to put the controller through its paces ... and then you're completely stonewalled through no fault of your own.

Nabs

Well it's likely too late for that, I imagine. I've been in the Steam beta for years and never had anything disappear and become so unworkable to this extent.

At least the controller works OK if the standard config suits.

I can be patient - it's just annoying when you only have one evening in a week to play games, want to put the controller through its paces ... and then you're completely stonewalled through no fault of your own.

Just opt out.

belmonkey

Does anyone know the folder location of the new startup / turn off sounds? I was just wondering if it would be possible to add customs ones, since the touch menu can have custom content too.

Nzyme32

Only just realised all the community bindings are gone save for a minority of new ones. Does this mean everyone has to reupload their bindings or is this a temporary bug, or are the beta and old style not compatible?

Nabs

New Update

Steam Controller
  • Improved behavior when streaming from Steam Link, configuration changes will now be saved locally as the guest user. Full registration directly from the Link is still being worked upon.
  • Fixed loading official configurations for Kerbal Space Program and Warframe
  • Fixed crash when loading a malformed configuration file
  • Fixed occasional crash when powering the controller on or off
  • Fixed migration of non-Steam game configurations
  • Temporarily removed Triumph and Shake It Off from available personalization sounds, as they can crash the controller when played.
  • Added additional Touch Menu selection settings to allow selection on Release Click and on Release Touch.
  • Added Trigger Hip Fire Exclusive mode - this mode is a dual stage trigger mode that allows either soft or full pull, but once either is engaged, the other will not engage until the trigger has been released.
  • Public configurations that have not yet been migrated by their authors are still currently not available, but we'll perform a one-time migration pass later this week when the new infrastructure has been tested a bit more

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Thinking about getting this controller for comfy couch. I already have an Xbox wired controller, do you guys think it's worth it?

Thinking about getting this controller for comfy couch. I already have an Xbox wired controller, do you guys think it's worth it?

Yes, absolutely. Lots of better control on various games, and it just "feels" right.

The only thing it's missing compared to a wired controller is vibrating features like the motor in a driving game, so you don't get that kind of feedback from a game anymore, but now you have better control

Jinkies

Only just realised all the community bindings are gone save for a minority of new ones. Does this mean everyone has to reupload their bindings or is this a temporary bug, or are the beta and old style not compatible?
They will be reuploaded later this week, apparently.

Veal

So what sounds are you all using on your controllers? I set mine to "The Next Level" and "The Mann". It's such a small thing but I love little flourishes like this in a product. In my dreams, valve has talked to SEGA to license the iconic "SEGA!" sound as a controller sound. My dreamcast 2 will be complete!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Are now the issues fixed? I don't know if I should update tonight.

Luckily I wasn't around my computer in the past 2 days so I avoided the bad update.

terrible

Banned
How do you force it to migrate again? I thought the message that popped up when Steam restarted said it'd do it itself when you go into BPM but it didn't for me so all my non steam configs are still gone.

edit: I opted out of the beta instead. I don't feel like dealing with these glitches anymore lol.

I got this to replace my wired 360 controller, since I was getting tired of the cable always getting in my way, and I don't regret it one bit. It takes a bit to get used to it, and you have to learn to configure the controller for each game to get the most out of it (or just use a community configuration), but consequently it also allows a great level of configurability even if in-game options are limited.

Just make sure that you update the firmware before you do anything else, as suggested in the first post. I literally thought the right touch-pad was broken until I updated the firmware, it was that bad.

Just a heads up guys, if you wanna continue to avoid spoilers for the new star wars, avoid your notifications bar entirely. Specifically they've got people sending invites to a group with a massive spoiler in the title :/

deadfolk

Just a heads up guys, if you wanna continue to avoid spoilers for the new star wars, avoid your notifications bar entirely. Specifically they've got people sending invites to a group with a massive spoiler in the title :/

Wow - that sucks. I pretty much avoided the net altogether for the last couple of days, just in case something like this happened. Seen it now, so I'm okay. :)

Finally got Thief to work with the steam controller! All I can say is that it worked far more better that I had imagined it to be since it was first revealed. It is as if it was built for the game itself. Those paddles and trackpad menus felt so natural to the game it is an absolutely mandatory to be experienced with. I didn't even realize you could change the icons of the menu AND in different colors as well! I can now make a distinction between all my arrows, my lock picks and weapons in the most accessible way possible. Then there's the trackpad which makes perfect sense considering the non-shooter element of the game.

The fact you can create dual features to each button allows for more insane modification like using my paddles to create dual functions to the other buttons. It's just...magical. It totally streamlined the control scheme to the point I'm playing the game I've always imagined playing with the mouse and keyboard. I kept peeking, constantly monitoring my environment, having access to all your weapons without going playing a game of twister with your fingers made me control the character the way I WANT TO. And that, really highlights the gameplay I wouldn't have noticed in any other input system.

I've got the feeling I'm going to enjoy the original witcher and Abe's odyssey series with this new controller. Thank Gaben and Steam for such a wonderful gift to the community. Gonna put system shock 1 & 2 on the list this time round.

belmonkey

All this time I didn't know key order seems to be taken into account when binding things and that words could be bound to a key or a touch menu, permitted the same characters don't have to be reused. I think it'd be nice if it could be fixed so that characters can be reused so that more can be done with it, like setting up generic chat messages for greeting, congratulations, or w/e quick messages you might find in an mmo or something, then put them all in a touch menu. Although I guess maybe that kind of functionality would open things up for more macro-type stuff? :/

On a side note, can touch menus be used in a normal (not opened through Steam) browser? If not, that might not be so bad in conjunction with the keyboard overlay when BPM is minimized.

Oreoleo

I've been muting all my opponents in Dota and CSGO just in case but wow... that's dastardly. Thanks for the heads up.

Do Touchpad menus still rely on BPM UI? It seemed like that was slowing it down making it less than ideal for MMO skills, wanted to check.

Top Bottom