• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Zojirushi

Yeah, so shit is still fucked right? Controller Migration/Registration is failing and the majority of community configs is gone.

Staying out of the beta is the best choice right now I guess?

Nzyme32

Yeah, so shit is still fucked right? Controller Migration/Registration is failing and the majority of community configs is gone.

Staying out of the beta is the best choice right now I guess?

There is another beta out that fixes the missing non-Steam game bindings you have if you did the prior beta. The rest of the community bindings will be transitioned later this week for those that haven't transitioned them over. Basically, it's as beta as it gets. Don't use Steam beta's if you are not prepared for things like this, particularly when they are changing and transitioning systems like this. They don't actually move anything on you computer, so it should be impossible for you to actually lose your configs, even if Steam fails to transition them or locate them

zbarron

All users configurations are gone for me too which is fine but surprisingly it fixed my TF2 issue which is what I play most of the time.

The patch removed Triumph from my controller sound options :(

Oh, and since the update, pressing the steam button on the desktop doesn't bring steam into focus like it's supposed to.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/street_fighter/blog/2015/12/17/announcing-steam-os-support-for-sfv

Hey everyone. I’m excited to announce that Street Fighter V will be officially supporting Steam OS! We are working closely with Valve on this endeavor, and will have more details to announce in the near future, so stay tuned for updates.

Street Fighter V will also support the Steam controller, and you’ll be able to try that out right away during the upcoming beta test that takes place from December 18~20.

See you all online!

Nerrel

I finally tried using the trackpad as a D-pad in platformers and I've got to say... it really isn't that great. It works, certainly, and works better than it probably should, but I had problems with it registering the wrong input in situations a real D-pad never would have. For instance, "down" registers constantly even when my thumb is only moving across the horizontal bar of the indent.

I'm not sure if the trackpad is just glitching or if it's the same problem that occurs when using the trackpads to aim- that any flesh of the thumb other than the very tip touching can skew your position. I found adjusting the D-pad dead zone to minimum helped, which is counter-intuitive since a larger zone should eliminate the accidental down presses.

It might just come down to the limitations the trackpad has in emulating the rocking action of a D-pad. On a real pad, these same motions register distinct inputs. Without an actual physical rocking action, the trackpad may not be able to register presses the same way. Knowing Valve, they'll probably have some genius improvement in the next two week that will address this, too.

CO_Andy

Got a battery stuck inside my Steam Controller, sent it to Valve, and got back a new Steam Controller today! Also mysteriously got Rocket League and Portal 2 in my Steam Library despite buying the controller secondhand on eBay.

Now that's service.

Oreoleo

I think one of the most recent updates changed the touch menus for the worse.

I've been using the touch menu in HL2 for weapon selection. As most of you know there are multiple weapons in each of the weapon categories (2 pistols, 2 rifles etc). It used to be you could double click to select the second weapon. Now you have to single click to select the first weapon, remove your thumb from the pad entirely to make the touch menu disappear, and then click in the same spot again to select the 2nd weapon. If you select the first weapon without removing your thumb from the touch pad (ie, waiting for the touch menu to disappear), no matter how long you wait between clicks you'll never be able to select the 2nd weapon.

It makes everything a bit more cumbersome :( Hopefully this is just an oversight.

Edit: This is on button click activation. Button release activation seems to mitigate this.

There really needs to be a command for swapping the pad bindings around quickly. Would make using community bindings as a lefty much easier.

Nzyme32

Steam has asked me to go into BPM and "Re-Migrate" due to a fix of some kind. However now after that procedure, I have a whole bunch of duplicates in my personal bindings section for each game. Community bindings is still empty but now I have a whole bunch of personal bindings for the same game that are identical. I was considering just manually deleting them, but I don't know which ones are the published ones or if deleting one will cause an issue with the others.

Guess I'll just wait and see

Nabs

New Beta update:

Steam Controller

• Enabled simultaneous Left Trackpad and Left Analog Stick operation (requires firmware update)
  • Fixed a bug with certain shutdown sounds and re-enabled them (requires firmware update)
  • Improved Analog Stick deadzone and auto-centering behavior (requires firmware update)
  • Fixed numpad bindings being shifted on Linux
  • Fixed Touch Menu Button Click behavior only being able to send output event one time without moving/releasing pad
  • Fixed bug where pressing Steam Button at the desktop wouldn’t bring Steam to the foreground
  • Fixed bug in migration on non-steam game configurations

viveks86

New Beta update:

Steam Controller

• Enabled simultaneous Left Trackpad and Left Analog Stick operation (requires firmware update)
  • Fixed a bug with certain shutdown sounds and re-enabled them (requires firmware update)
  • Improved Analog Stick deadzone and auto-centering behavior (requires firmware update)
  • Fixed Touch Menu Button Click behavior only being able to send output event one time without moving/releasing pad
  • Fixed bug where pressing Steam Button at the desktop wouldn’t bring Steam to the foreground

Nice. So all is well now?

Enabled simultaneous Left Trackpad and Left Analog Stick operation (requires firmware update)

I'd like to speak to whoever needed this fix

viveks86

That's good to hear. Most of my gaming is done on PC, so I should get some good use out of it.

It's now my favorite controller of all time. And I've always been a console gamer first. It just grows on you every single day. Everything else feels so primitive now.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Are they ever going to make it so that you don't need big picture activated to configure this thing? I honestly wouldn't have bought it if I realized that was a requirement beforehand.

MNC

So I skipped the update because I wanted to do something else first. How do I reforce the update?

Edit: ah... Restart steam.

And now my configs are gone, even the community ones? What gives?

Note that I did remigration first, then the controller update

KScorp

It seems the latest update finally fixed all the issues I had with navigating Rocket League's menu with the analog stick.

Unai

New Beta update:

Steam Controller

Amazing. At least two of these bugs were reported here.

Nzyme32

Are they ever going to make it so that you don't need big picture activated to configure this thing? I honestly wouldn't have bought it if I realized that was a requirement beforehand.

I think that's a 99% certainty, but right now it isn't a priority I imagine. They seem focused on improving the lounge experience of it first and foremost, which is the primary goal I guess.

Enabled simultaneous Left Trackpad and Left Analog Stick operation (requires firmware update)

It was this guy:

250px-Mr._McGreg.png

DeaviL

Banned
Ordered a controller 2 days ago, and it's already heading out for delivery today.
The first time in my life that living next to the Netherlands has payed off :p

dsk1210

I have noticed that if I use a touch menu in any game, my framerate drops down to 30 and does not go back up after the touch menu is gone.

MNC

I have noticed that if I use a touch menu in any game, my framerate drops down to 30 and does not go back up after the touch menu is gone.

Same when I use the Controller UI. Game framerate seems to drop quite badly. In fact, it also seems to drop when I take a screenshot in BPM.... All BPM overlay things make my framerate drop for a short bit.

Still no community bindings for me :(

Eusis

It's good to have options if they're harmless to implement even if hard to actually use. And normally I'd point out holding it claw style so you could change weapons or whatever while moving around, but the nature of that pad probably makes it harder than a PS D-Pad.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It's good to have options if they're harmless to implement even if hard to actually use. And normally I'd point out holding it claw style so you could change weapons or whatever while moving around, but the nature of that pad probably makes it harder than a PS D-Pad.

Also keep in mind that a lot of the weirder stuff can help people with physical disabilities, who use controllers in non-traditional ways.

Eusis

Also keep in mind that a lot of the weirder stuff can help people with physical disabilities, who use controllers in non-traditional ways.
The funny thing about the Simpsons post is that it really is on the nose about it. Not that I imagine anyone has THAT particular disability, but someone without a left thumb could find that useful.

jax

Banned
What the fuck al of my configs are gone after the update? Those took me so long to get right. This absolutely blows.

Boxuv

Neo Member
What the fuck al of my configs are gone after the update? Those took me so long to get right. This absolutely blows.

Opt out of beta for now to get them back, they are still where they were, just that after the update it's looking for them in a different place. Might get next week when they get the public configs sorted.

hepburn3d

Noticing since last update the down part on the right pad is triggering incorrectly. Sometimes I touch it and let go. Then it holds it down for ages. Tested on wife's and it's happening on hers to :(

Causing me a few near misses in elite

JMTHEFOX

I'm interested in buying this controller, but I have a question. Does the wireless dongle support up to 4 controllers at once like the Xbox 360/Xbox One wireless adapters or only one at a time like the receiver for the Logitech F710 wireless gamepad?

Jinkies

I'm interested in buying this controller, but I have a question. Does the wireless dongle support up to 4 controllers at once like the Xbox 360/Xbox One wireless adapters or only one at a time like the receiver for the Logitech F710 wireless gamepad?

It supports 16 simultaneous controllers ... apparently.

Right now, there is no multiple-controller support in any form, at least from what I have read here and on Reddit.

hepburn3d

Right now, there is no multiple-controller support in any form, at least from what I have read here and on Reddit.

How so Jinkies? I've tested 2 controllers for a game and it does work, as long as they're on and connected before the game launches.

Nzyme32

The dongle supports 4 Steam Controllers at once, but the Xbox One Controller dongle supports 8 at once - then again, you get a dongle with every Steam Controller and have to pay for the Xbox One's. It's really up to how much you like the controllers. Personally, there is just so much you can do with the Steam Controller. The learning curve varies from person to person and there are a few things I'm not so keen on with the Steam Controller, but it has been absolutely worthwhile - even more so with the updates released all last month. It's now my main controller. If you are interested in all the extra features you get with a Steam Controller, the ability to play a whole bunch of games that are impossible to play reasonably with a traditional controller and are happy to have to tinker with it a bit to get things the way you want for now, then it is worth at least investigating one.

Think you might be getting confused with the API used for native support, which supports 16 controllers (although what situation that would be used for, who knows). As for the multiplayer stuff, I'm not sure since I haven't tested it. I assumed they must work, otherwise what would be the point of the new feature to take bindings with you

Jinkies

How so Jinkies? I've tested 2 controllers for a game and it does work, as long as they're on and connected before the game launches.

I read about people not being able to play local multiplayer with two controllers. Maybe that changed this week with the configuration saving updates?

Think you might be getting confused with the API used for native support, which supports 16 controllers (although what situation that would be used for, who knows). As for the multiplayer stuff, I'm not sure since I haven't tested it. I assumed they must work

That is interesting, perhaps you can connect multiple dongles to the same PC.

If multiplayer works, it is only very recently, I believe.

Wow, FINALLY they fixed the left trackpad not working while using the left stick. I use it all the time in games like Dark Souls etc. How else are you going to switch items while running? Actually, someone else solved it by binding move forward to a grip button, but that is obviously not ideal.

Top Bottom