• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck OLED Announced: Coming November 16

Housh

Anyone in Canada's Fedex number update? Mine has been listing as "No record of this tracking number can be found at this time, please check the number and try again later" since Friday. Getting super impatient :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Edit: minutes after posting this Fedex delivered my LE :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Best part of steam oled is pc gamers get to see what the oled hype is all about. Good luck trying to go back to some shitty lcd/ips panel now.

I bought so many games on the Switch OLED because of this, and now I regret them all haha.

To the person who lol'd at this post, just discovered a dead pixel on my LE. Yay me.

Would you all just immediately replace it? It's one pixel centerish on the screen.
Think what I'm gonna do is order another LE and return this one when it comes. If that one has anything wrong I'll order just the regular 1tb, I like the etched screen.

Edit: seems valve won't let me order a 2nd LE.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This is great, and bodes well for the evolution of the steam deck. It will be even better, hoping 8" 1080p oled with double the gaming power in a couple of years. Also encourage that valve saw enough sales to justify the refresh now.

Minsc

Gold Member
Bought Midnight Suns of green man gaming for $25. Now this is a game that really looks great on that OLED screen.

HDR working in that one yet? I heard that game is incredible, very fun, you get tons of OP heroes as you level, and the in-between persona-type interactions are top-notch. Really looking forward to playing it, just waiting to clear a couple other games first, and the HDR to be working for it.

Topher

Gold Member
HDR working in that one yet? I heard that game is incredible, very fun, you get tons of OP heroes as you level, and the in-between persona-type interactions are top-notch. Really looking forward to playing it, just waiting to clear a couple other games first, and the HDR to be working for it.

Game is really cool so far, but I just started. Plays fantastic on the Steam Deck. Not sure about HDR. Was reading this..

Minsc

Gold Member
Game is really cool so far, but I just started. Plays fantastic on the Steam Deck. Not sure about HDR. Was reading this..

Yeah, from what I think I've read it shows up under DX12, but I'd do a bit more research on it were I playing it. A bunch of games are like that, since it's still so new. Feel like I read the HDR is pretty good in it. But by the time I get to it I expect it'll be sorted out long before. I only tried the tutorial mission to see performance on LCD Deck a while back, and it ran great.

If you're interested in playing around with it, I generally find reddit a better resource to google for help through, than Steam forums, which half the time I forget even exist lol.

Last edited:

poodaddy

So my limited edition just got here, it's beautiful, buuuutttt I forgot to order a screen protector. I'm not exposing this beautiful baby to the world without a screen protector, any recommendations on a quality one?

SRTtoZ

iFmtLy2.png

YESSSSS! SOON. Come to Papa, Limited Edition. I can't believe I went from not really wanting one yet to buying the highest tier one. It's not that I didn't want one, I did. But I waited so long, I figured I'd wait until the next iteration like the Switch 2 or whatever. The fact that it has OLED was a huge deal since I'm an OLED snob but then you add in the 100 other fixes/upgrades and it's an easy decision. I normally would have went with the 512gb which seems to be the sweet spot but the LE is so sexy. Smoke see through gray and neon orange? Put it this way. My last 3 cars were all orange :D. 2005 Orange Blast Neon SRT-4, 2007 350Z Solar Orange and now I have an Orange Limited 2018 Subaru Crosstrek (hopefully my username makes some sense now). I had a White 2012 Limited WRX but they didn't come in Orange ;) Valve knows me too well. Also, the teardown case is pretty sick too. I'm so damn excited to be able to play my entire library on the couch or on the go. Does anyone know if playing Steam through Cloud gaming is viable on this thing? If so, how is the latency? Would I be able to play using all 90 htz that way or is it capped at 60? I have a 4070 Ti on my PC so it's not like I can't run games at that framerate. Thanks!

Like this piece of tech does weird things to me. I can't be the only one, right?

limited_front.0.jpg

limited_redaccents.jpg

limited_thumb.jpg

limited_back.jpeg

Last edited:

graywolf323

So my limited edition just got here, it's beautiful, buuuutttt I forgot to order a screen protector. I'm not exposing this beautiful baby to the world without a screen protector, any recommendations on a quality one?
I like the ones I’ve used from Jsaux, they even have an anti-glare one

Shakka43

Well so while playing Planet Of Lana right now I just noticed I have not one but two dead (or I hope stuck) pixels 💢. Now I'm playing one of those color flashing videos to see if it helps...

False alarm, turns out some dust got caught between the screen protector and I hadn't noticed for the last three days 😂😂

Last edited:

ハトリス

Neo Member
As a new Steam Deck (OLED) owner, do you guys recommend keeping everything "stock" on the OLED model or did you tinker with the vram size and Cryo Utilities?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
So the irony, pinball fx keeps freezing / crashing, I load up chaiki and play it pretty flawlessly on via ps5......

No hdr yet, but still......

SRTtoZ

Decent amount of reports of the limited edition having dead pixels. Now I'm scared for my delivery tomorrow.
If this is true it’s gonna have nothing to do with the LE. It will likely be on all the systems since they’re all using the same OLED panels. What’s Valves stance on dead pixels? I know most manufacturers say a certain amount of dead pixels is normal and can’t be exchanged unless it’s a high number like 10+

SRTtoZ

I don’t think I’m gonna use one because it’s gonna fuck with the anti glare panel. Image quality will take an huge hit if you do that. Unless Zagg makes a really nice crystal clear one. I would not put an anti glare on top of an anti glare that’s for sure.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I don’t think I’m gonna use one because it’s gonna fuck with the anti glare panel. Image quality will take an huge hit if you do that. Unless Zagg makes a really nice crystal clear one. I would not put an anti glare on top of an anti glare that’s for sure.

I don't use a screen protector on the OLED Switch or Deck, I did put one on the LCD Deck (anti-glare), but I don't miss it one bit on the 512GB OLED Deck. Instead of a screen protector, I use this:

There's others similar to it, a shell with a removable cover. That brand for me is really comfortable and fits great on both the Deck and Switch. Protects the screen around the house/etc, and can still easily fit in all but the slimmest cases with it on.

un1que

I’ve finally got my steam deck (first time buyer) and I love it. I mean, wow. Will be brilliant for my backlog.

Not sure if things have changed but I cannot find my game saves anywhere… steam games or none steam.

I’ve followed every video, web page and chats on Reddit but I can’t find them anywhere.

Anyone else have this problem or can anyone help please?

Minsc

Gold Member
I’ve finally got my steam deck (first time buyer) and I love it. I mean, wow. Will be brilliant for my backlog.

Not sure if things have changed but I cannot find my game saves anywhere… steam games or none steam.

I’ve followed every video, web page and chats on Reddit but I can’t find them anywhere.

Anyone else have this problem or can anyone help please?

Aren't they all just sync through the cloud? That's how it works for me. I can stop on the Deck and 1 second later start on my laptop.

Ozriel

M$FT
Best part of steam oled is pc gamers get to see what the oled hype is all about. Good luck trying to go back to some shitty lcd/ips panel now.

Many PC gamers already have OLED TVs so…

The problem really is the fear of burn-in. Way more static elements in PC OS than in TVs

un1que

Aren't they all just sync through the cloud? That's how it works for me. I can stop on the Deck and 1 second later start on my laptop.
Yeah and those games are fine. It’s the older ones that don’t cloud sync and the non steam games I’m after.

If this is true it’s gonna have nothing to do with the LE. It will likely be on all the systems since they’re all using the same OLED panels. What’s Valves stance on dead pixels? I know most manufacturers say a certain amount of dead pixels is normal and can’t be exchanged unless it’s a high number like 10+
Just go check out the steam deck subreddit, it's significantly more common in the LE because apparently that's the only one using a BOE panel. The 512 and regular 1tb use Samsung panels.

TheDude108

Is anyone else in the UK/Europe experiencing this shitshow from GLS (and Parcelforce if in the UK)?

Huge amount of people on the Steam Deck subreddit shipping megathread with the exact same problem of zero updates from GLS/Parcelforce.

Apparently Parcelforce depots have said a bunch of gone "missing" and are elevating the issue to management.

Zheph

Is anyone else in the UK/Europe experiencing this shitshow from GLS (and Parcelforce if in the UK)?

Huge amount of people on the Steam Deck subreddit shipping megathread with the exact same problem of zero updates from GLS/Parcelforce.

Apparently Parcelforce depots have said a bunch of gone "missing" and are elevating the issue to management.
Mine started populated suddenly and got it after a few misses from parcelforce with delivery. Stay strong

OverHeat

« generous god »
Even thou I don't like the overall look of LE in pictures compared to render/promo shots, I can still appreciate the attention do details that Valve put into this thing. Especially in the back with orange/red screws and vent. It looks cool.

limited_back.jpeg
kfTAAWz.jpg

Just edited the brightness lol

Last edited:

proandrad

Many PC gamers already have OLED TVs so…

The problem really is the fear of burn-in. Way more static elements in PC OS than in TVs

Gotta step out of the hardcore bubble,most of gamers are still using 1080p monitors and low end specs all around. A very small number have oled monitors.

Top Bottom