• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam DualShock 4 support is now live

Unai

Wait what? I could have sworn Portal 2 was the first game to do it.

EDIT: No, Portal 2 absolutely does use the API. Also I just tried Serious Sam 3 (Also uses the API) and once again the button prompts were wrong, but also the buttons weren't working correctly, and opening the controller configuration caused the game to stop detecting it.

Yes, but those games were developed before this new change.

Corpekata

Banned
I was only able to get it to work wirelessly once. After that, I can start BPM with the PS button but nothing else works.

jediyoshi

Really sad that it took a third party to implement an API for interoperability of PS4 controllers to PC.

It's more sales for Sony, so why not?

They natively work. Hell, it even works in Forza Horizon 3. Developers at large don't want to implement them when they can just implement xinput and cover the vast majority of their bases in one fell swoop.

KtSlime

For me it is completely broken or I am doing something wrong. I launch Big Picture, and I click the PS4 Configuration Support button, but with both wired and wireless the controller does not show up. If I have it switched off, it and restart the controller, it works as it always had. I'm on a Mac.

Corpekata

Banned
Do you guys that say "they do natively work" just enjoy being obtuse?

Of course they natively work, but it's clear the person you guys are talking to meant Xinput support (even if that idea might be misguided). There's pride in being technically correct (the best kind of correct) but also some in being able to read context clues when interacting with another human being.

Nice. What's the battery life on PS4 controllers like these days, compared to X1 and 2xAA ?

Still abysmal, same as ever. Full charge won't last more than 8 hours, and that's being extremely conservative -- as in, game that hardly (or doesn't at all) use rumble and isn't input heavy. Xbox One on 2x AA batteries is probably at least 20 hours, but I recall usually getting more than that, closer to 25 hours.

Skyzard

Banned
Still abysmal, same as ever. Full charge won't last more than 8 hours, and that's being extremely conservative -- as in, game that hardly (or doesn't at all) use rumble and isn't input heavy. Xbox One on 2x AA batteries is probably at least 20 hours, but I recall usually getting more than that, closer to 25 hours.

Thanks.

jmga

Someone should make a non-steam-dependant multicontroller API with the same customization capabilities, Xinput looks so obsolete now.

DieH@rd

Banned
I just tested my DS4 wirelessly and it works great in a xinput-only game [Alan Wake American Nightmare]. At last, the dark age of DS4 PC gaming is over. :D

Someone should make a non-steam-dependant multicontroller API with the same customization capabilities, Xinput looks so obsolete now.

standards.png

jediyoshi

Do you guys that say "they do natively work" just enjoy being obtuse?

Of course they natively work, but it's clear the person you guys are talking to meant Xinput support (even if that idea might be misguided). There's pride in being technically correct (the best kind of correct) but also some in being able to read context clues when interacting with another human being.

Given every time the subject comes up, of course it's not clear. Try one of those "Windows 10 update broke DS4 support" threads. People are literally under the impression there is no compatibility whatsoever as much as people avoided updating to the anniversary edition because they thought their (unaffected) xinput wrapper would stop working. It's as much semantics as people who think webms and gifs are interchangable.

PaulloDEC

Just gave this a try, and it's... weird? I can connect the controller wirelessly and Steam acknowledges it as a DS4, but navigating around Big Picture varies between perfect and unusable. Sometimes everything is responsive and precise, and then suddenly my inputs do nothing, or they'll be delayed, or the selection will just go nuts and scroll off down the page. Sometimes the d-pad works, other times it doesn't. Some games recognise inputs at first, and then won't moments later.

No idea if it's my setup or just beta software.

jmga

I just tested my DS4 wirelessly and it works great in a xinput-only game [Alan Wake American Nightmare]. At last, the dark age of DS4 PC gaming is over. :D

standards.png

But Steam API is no standard as it is not usable for games outside Steam.

Kumubou

So it turns out that there is arbitrary Directinput -> XInput support in the Steam Controller support right now, but it's super buggy and not ready for prime time at all.

I tried using a Hori Real Arcade Pro 4 (PS4-native) stick and Steam picked that up and gave me the option to map buttons to XInput-ish inputs. However, the rebindings don't work at all. Not a huge issue with the HRAP4 since it turns out the defaults are sane for PS4 controllers, and it more or less works and I was able to get games to pick it up as an XInput device, which is nice.

I then tried plugging in a Beatmania controller and seeing if Steam picked it up (a DAO FPS with an Arcin PCB, for the three people reading this thread that know what that is). It actually did pick up the device and let me bring up the the button reassignment menu, but it wouldn't let me do anything and given that this thing is just nine buttons and a rotary analog device, that's not going to end well.

There really needs to be a way to set what device is what XInput player within Steam. XInput only supports four controllers at once and if you have more than four plugged in it's annoying to figure out who is assed out. It's especially bad in some games (like the Steam port of Melty Blood: Current Code) that pick up only two controllers and tell everything else to get bent, with no real way of knowing which controllers it's using. Although I don't know how common of a use case having 2 PS4 pads, a X360 pad, three arcade sticks and some weird box with some buttons and a turntable on it is.

red36

Neo Member
Sorry if this has been covered before, but is there anyway to get the bluetooth of the ps4 to connect to steam link via the ps button and NOT turn on the ps4? I don't know how to get the controller to not connect to the ps4 and connect to the PC instead.

gelf

So it turns out that there is arbitrary Directinput -> XInput support in the Steam Controller support right now, but it's super buggy and not ready for prime time at all.

I tried using a Hori Real Arcade Pro 4 (PS4-native) stick and Steam picked that up and gave me the option to map buttons to XInput-ish inputs. However, the rebindings don't work at all. Not a huge issue with the HRAP4 since it turns out the defaults are sane for PS4 controllers, and it more or less works and I was able to get games to pick it up as an XInput device, which is nice.

I then tried plugging in a Beatmania controller and seeing if Steam picked it up (a DAO FPS with an Arcin PCB, for the three people reading this thread that know what that is). It actually did pick up the device and let me bring up the the button reassignment menu, but it wouldn't let me do anything and given that this thing is just nine buttons and a rotary analog device, that's not going to end well.

There really needs to be a way to set what device is what XInput player within Steam. XInput only supports four controllers at once and if you have more than four plugged in it's annoying to figure out who is assed out. It's especially bad in some games (like the Steam port of Melty Blood: Current Code) that pick up only two controllers and tell everything else to get bent, with no real way of knowing which controllers it's using. Although I don't know how common of a use case having 2 PS4 pads, a X360 pad, three arcade sticks and some weird box with some buttons and a turntable on it is.

Similarly I tried a Saturn pad(connected via MagicBox adaptor) and Steam did detect it in some way and I could even navigate big picture mode with it. However I found I could reassign buttons but only if it was the only pad connected. However if a 360 pad is also connected the reassignment craps out and gets overridden by 360 defaults. It's a start at least.

Ideally I hope they work towards unofficially supporting any directinput controller there is no matter how weird and just give the users the tools to map them how they want. They could take a leaf out of Xpadders book and allow user created controller layouts in addition to the officially supported ones. Basically the steam equivalent of this:

xpadder.jpg
ShLgd40.png
laid_out.JPG
MapleStory2-Wiki-xpadderhotkeysset.png

CONCH0BAR

Sorry if this has been covered before, but is there anyway to get the bluetooth of the ps4 to connect to steam link via the ps button and NOT turn on the ps4? I don't know how to get the controller to not connect to the ps4 and connect to the PC instead.

If you have a second DS4, you can delete the other controller from your PS4 by going to Settings>Devices>Bluetooth (something like that). If you don't have a second DS4, then I'm not sure there's anything that can be done.

red36

Neo Member
If you have a second DS4, you can delete the other controller from your PS4 by going to Settings>Devices>Bluetooth (something like that). If you don't have a second DS4, then I'm not sure there's anything that can be done.

Clever, yes I do have a second one. Ill give it a try.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
But Steam API is no standard as it is not usable for games outside Steam.

Yet, I'd say. Many devs told Valve they'd like the Steam Controller API to become the OpenVR of controller APIs (i.e. an open, one-size-fits-all solution), so it's most definitely aware of the interest developers have in being able to target a single controller API not only for Steam but their games in general.

This is great news.

If this worked with Origin and UPlay the same way, I would have been upset about my recent Xbox One controller purchase.

This is great news.

If this worked with Origin and UPlay the same way, I would have been upset about my recent Xbox One controller purchase.

Couldn't you add your Origin and UPlay games to Steam to play them with your DS4 through this method?

EDIT: Sorry, reading the rest of this thread, I guess that's not true yet?

Pjsprojects

So can a DS4 just be plugged in via usb and work with MW2 ?

A mate of mine simply can't play with mouse/keyboard and doesn't get on with the Steam controller.

Unai

This is great news.

It does. Just add them as a non steam game.

Couldn't you add your Origin and UPlay games to Steam to play them with your DS4 through this method?

It is!

This is great to hear! :) Nice support, but wireless or not?

Wireless too.

Nzyme32

You can for the Steam Controller. I assume you should be able to for DS4 since it uses the same system. Origin has issues with the overlay, so you need to make / setup the bindings before playing and can't see touch menus.

Anyone try this on a Steam Link yet? Previously, my Steam Link would just automatically emulate my DS4 as a 360 controller. Does the Steam Link detect it as a DS4 now?

Nzyme32

Anyone try this on a Steam Link yet? Previously, my Steam Link would just automatically emulate my DS4 as a 360 controller. Does the Steam Link detect it as a DS4 now?

Assuming you are using the Steam Beta Client on the source PC, then it should work since that PC does all the work

Yet, I'd say. Many devs told Valve they'd like the Steam Controller API to become the OpenVR of controller APIs (i.e. an open, one-size-fits-all solution), so it's most definitely aware of the interest developers have in being able to target a single controller API not only for Steam but their games in general.

Yup. Best-case scenario is that Valve actually makes the controller API separate and allows people to implement it independently of Steamworks, but the more likely scenario is that someone will come up with a polyfill API that essentially replaces the Steam controller API in non-Steam versions of games. The possibility was even mentioned in the Dev Days presentation (which from what I remember was actually given by a third-party dev, not a Valve employee).

Ogre

Neo Member
I'm opting out. For whatever reason I can't diagnose, it's too broken for me.

Sometimes it works fine in the Big Picture menu, but doesn't work at all in any games, apart from the Steam button. Sometimes, it works in some games (Mark of the Ninja), and for some games, it never works at all (Dark Souls 3). It never works outside of Big Picture mode - again, except for the Steam button. Sometimes when launching Steam, it simply doesn't work at all, even in the Big Picture menu, but it still registers that the controller is plugged in.

I've been using it wired, I've tried rebooting my computer, and of course I've kept InputMapper off the whole time while testing. No clue what's going on.

Rappy

I'm opting out. For whatever reason I can't diagnose, it's too broken for me.

Sometimes it works fine in the Big Picture menu, but doesn't work at all in any games, apart from the Steam button. Sometimes, it works in some games (Mark of the Ninja), and for some games, it never works at all (Dark Souls 3). It never works outside of Big Picture mode - again, except for the Steam button. Sometimes when launching Steam, it simply doesn't work at all, even in the Big Picture menu, but it still registers that the controller is plugged in.

I've been using it wired, I've tried rebooting my computer, and of course I've kept InputMapper off the whole time while testing. No clue what's going on.
Assuming it's just the same defaults as the Steam controller, you have to set a default/desktop configuration. Else you need to setup a config for each individual game (or you may have to do this regardless if the game doesn't automatically give you a configuration that works).

Hmm after testing this for a day now I'll stick with this custom-fork of DS4Windows I have for now. What works already is amazing and the customization is something so complex I honestly had no idea what to do with it but there are some quirks that make me want to not use it as a daily-driver just yet. If they fix this I can't see me needing wrappers anymore.

I know it's a beta so it's to be expected that things aren't as smoothly yet, these are my issues with it:

- Rumble doesn't seem to work even after enabling the experimental rumble settings
- Needs to have proper customization for lightbar-color and intensity
- Would be nice to have a battery-indicator somewhere
- Games with native DS4 support like Rocket League aren't handled well, it shows the XBOX prompts and I can't navigate menus with the D-pad anymore so a option to disable the Steam Controller Emulation for certain games would be nice
- Being able to turn the controller off properly without using the 10 second PS-Button hardcoding would be nice

If they get this all in order when they leave beta I'm happy :D

Berna

Hmm after testing this for a day now I'll stick with this custom-fork of DS4Windows I have for now. What works already is amazing and the customization is something so complex I honestly had no idea what to do with it but there are some quirks that make me want to not use it as a daily-driver just yet. If they fix this I can't see me needing wrappers anymore.

I know it's a beta so it's to be expected that things aren't as smoothly yet, these are my issues with it:

- Rumble doesn't seem to work even after enabling the experimental rumble settings
- Needs to have proper customization for lightbar-color and intensity
- Would be nice to have a battery-indicator somewhere
- Games with native DS4 support like Rocket League aren't handled well, it shows the XBOX prompts and I can't navigate menus with the D-pad anymore so a option to disable the Steam Controller Emulation for certain games would be nice
- Being able to turn the controller off properly without using the 10 second PS-Button hardcoding would be nice

If they get this all in order when they leave beta I'm happy :D

About the bolded... the Steam Controller chord configuration has Steam + Y as a shortcut to turn off the controller, does PS button + Triangle work with the DS4 in this case?

AlanOC91

Maybe a silly question but can the steam controller dongle connect to a DS4 controller?

Spent over 2k on my PC and I don't even have a bluetooth dongle -_-
I don't think I've ever had one in my life.

Maybe a silly question but can the steam controller dongle connect to a DS4 controller?

Spent over 2k on my PC and I don't even have a bluetooth dongle -_-
I don't think I've ever had one in my life.

No, but Sony either just has, or is just about to, put out a special DS4 PC dongle.

Yup. Best-case scenario is that Valve actually makes the controller API separate and allows people to implement it independently of Steamworks, but the more likely scenario is that someone will come up with a polyfill API that essentially replaces the Steam controller API in non-Steam versions of games. The possibility was even mentioned in the Dev Days presentation (which from what I remember was actually given by a third-party dev, not a Valve employee).

Heya! That third-party dev here :)

So looooots of people have passed on feedback to me (and Valve) about splitting this whole thing off into its own non-Steam dependent library, I even brought it up with them myself. Can't tell you what they will do in the future... but rest assured, they're aware of the demand. As for the polyfill API, yes I did mention something like that at the Dev Days presentation.

For instance, I've created an actions-based API for the own open source game framework I use, HaxeFlixel, and that's got a really simple slot for the Steam Controller to fit right into, so that you can use conventional controllers with the same HaxeFlixel code outside of steam, and then just add a few lines to detect & add support for Steam.

The big tricky part is supporting all of the extra Steam goodies, particularly the overlay, the super fancy configuration scheme, the virtual keyboard (which is supposed to be getting CJK IME support soon), and so forth. That's a little less than trivial.

On the other hand the basic guts of the actual Steam Controller API calls are pretty simple -- poll what controllers are connected, define an action set, activate an action set, check for analog and digital input. That stuff's easy to polyfill with your own stuff so long as you have a decent abstraction wrapped around conventional input done in say, SDL.

Best case scenario is steam splits off the controller module and open sources it. If that's a no go, hopefully Unreal and/or Unity will collaborate on a standard polyfill combined with their own configuration goodies, or at least roll their own.

molnizzle

You can also get a much cheaper (as in <$10) standard bluetooth dongle.

That may or may not work depending on the chipset and bluetooth stack it uses.

Better to just get the Sony one if you want wireless functionality. Other bluetooth dongles can be a huge pain in the ass with the DS4.

Durante

That may or may not work depending on the chipset and bluetooth stack it uses.

Better to just get the Sony one if you want wireless functionality. Other bluetooth dongles can be a huge pain in the ass with the DS4.
Well, or you spend 5 minutes investigating which ones do work and then get one of those.

Does the Sony adapter actually support more than one controller? I remember that being in doubt in an earlier thread about it, and that would just be incredibly silly.

They really need to completely isolate PS4 bindings from the Steam Controller bindings, they very are different devices. All games should just default to the Gamepad template. I have booted up a lot of games with funky configs meant for the Steam Controller that are totally unuseable or unneeded. It is easy enough to switch to the Gamepad template but it is kind of annoying.

Well, or you spend 5 minutes investigating which ones do work and then get one of those.

Does the Sony adapter actually support more than one controller? I remember that being in doubt in an earlier thread about it, and that would just be incredibly silly.

It only supports one.

Top Bottom