• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam DualShock 4 support is now live

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Is there any way to configure swipe touch pad controls?

On DS4Windows I have tp left click, tp right click, swipe left, and swipe right each set to do a different key. I got tp left/right click working by setting a one button invisible radial menu to each half, but I cant get the swipe controls right. I've tried the touch release option for radial and touch menu options but its not working quite how I want it to. I have to fiddle around with the touchpad till the option i want is selected for it to occur. I cant just swipe in the direction i want and have the action i want occur.

Any way to set it up the way I want it to work?

anddo0

I got this working however: Vibration? does it work like DS4windows?

BTW- PS4 adapter owners, when paired with DS4Windows, the adapter works like many people expected it to work out the box. It's better than any dongle out there, and has become the best way to use the DS4 on PC IMO..

Unless I'm missing something, and Steam support does have vibration.

yamo

It's weird as my dualshock 4 worked flawlessly to begin with. I plugged it in with an USB cable and I got full functionality in big picture mode (BPM) and when trying with the Witcher 3 I had correct playstation button prompts and everything.

Then I tried to disconnect the controller and plug it in again and all of the sudden I had to name my controller. I also lost functionality of the D-pad in BPM. When I try to start the Witcher 3 again I have lost all the playstation button prompts and now have Xbox like prompts (Steam controller?).

Bit confused about what is going on. :s

Unai

It's weird as my dualshock 4 worked flawlessly to begin with. I plugged it in with an USB cable and I got full functionality in big picture mode (BPM) and when trying with the Witcher 3 I had correct playstation button prompts and everything.

Then I tried to disconnect the controller and plug it in again and all of the sudden I had to name my controller. I also lost functionality of the D-pad in BPM. When I try to start the Witcher 3 again I have lost all the playstation button prompts and now have Xbox like prompts (Steam controller?).

Bit confused about what is going on. :s

It's because you were not using the new integration. It already worked in Big Picture and The Witcher 3 has native support for it. Once you added your controller it went through the new API and things started not working properly.

Kumubou

I'm sure it's been asked but... is it possible to use it for navigating the desktop?
Yes, I actually managed to write and post this with only a DS4. Not ideal, but it works. Steam's split keyboard is actually kind of interesting.

AzaK

This is great for someone like me. I have a mac mini media server hooked to my TV (Not particularly amazing but can run a bunch of games) and a PS4. When I last tried to play games with my DualShock it was just so hit and miss I gave up. I didn't want to go and buy a 360/XBO controller either.

dex3108

Game whitelist would be nice so we can whitelist games that have native DS4 support and skip Steam controller API load.

Nabs

Game whitelist would be nice so we can whitelist games that have native DS4 support and skip Steam controller API load.

I created an empty template for Android Cactus and it seemed to work fine. You can save these for use with other games.

FYI, this does NOT work across the Steam Link yet. The Steam Link just takes your DS4 inputs and sends them over to your desktop as "Xinput controller." Hopefully the patch the Steam Link to allow this.

Unai

New update.

Steam Controller
  • Fixed controller config conversion not also applying mode shift buttons to the right stick mode shifts.
  • Fixed default settings not applying properly to mode shifted modes, which could cause certain parameters to be incorrect by default on mode-shifts.
  • Changed mode shift button activators to be uninterruptible by default.
  • Changed Mouse mode Gyro Enable Button to default to Always On when placed on a PS4 Controller.
  • Changed Joystick Mouse to default to Wide Response.

RedSwirl

So wait, how does the initial wireless pairing work? It's been a while since I first connected my Steam Controller.

I still have the Steam wireless dongle of course, and I heard you can connect the DS4 to that. I have a PS4 sitting right next to the computer though. Just pressing the PS button will simply turn on the PS4. Do I just connect it wired the first time? What happens if I connect the DS4 through Windows-native Bluetooth?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Does this fix the wonky compatibility in Falcom's games(Y's, TitS, etc)?

So wait, how does the initial wireless pairing work? It's been a while since I first connected my Steam Controller.

I still have the Steam wireless dongle of course, and I heard you can connect the DS4 to that. I have a PS4 sitting right next to the computer though. Just pressing the PS button will simply turn on the PS4. Do I just connect it wired the first time? What happens if I connect the DS4 through Windows-native Bluetooth?

wont work with the steam wireless dongle

you either use a wire or connect it to windows bluetooth, to do that hold share and ps button until the light bar starts blinking

Now more ppl will see the ds4 is actually much better than the steam controller for a very important reason and that is it is superior for actually playing videogames

TissueBox

Was actually gonna try this out for the first time earlier when I realized I LOST my DS4. So now I'm just gonna wait for it to show up in the meantime!

DieH@rd

Banned
So how does this work?

Just plug my ps4 onto my laptop whilst steam is on and it automatically works?

There is a single one-time thing you need to do. Switch to beta branch of Steam, connect DS4 gamepad to Windows, go to Big Picture Mode, in its option go to Controller section and enable PS4 Configurator option, plug out and plug in gamepad so that new driver can be loaded.

Done.

Bishop89

There is a single one-time thing you need to do. Switch to beta branch of Steam, connect DS4 gamepad to Windows, go to Big Picture Mode, in its option go to Controller section and enable PS4 Configurator option, plug out and plug in gamepad so that new driver can be loaded.

Done.

thnx, sounds easy enough

Coreda

Done.

How does one disconnect/turn off the DS4 in Windows natively? I only know how to do it via DS4Windows, which has a button.

Edit: held the PS button for 10s to disconnect the controller. Received this message:

uNbsdYu.jpg

So it stores the hardware fingerprint of my DS4 to some Steam database or just any DS4 I happen to be using while signed in elsewhere?

Samboread

Probably been asked and answered already, but does the DS4 need the Official dongle for this to work? or will any Bluetooth adapter work?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Probably been asked and answered already, but does the DS4 need the Official dongle for this to work? or will any Bluetooth adapter work?

You don't need the official adaptor, no, but strictly speaking I don't think the DS4 is compatible with every BT adaptor. Best ask for recommendations. I'd nominate one myself, but I just use an X1 controller -- wired, to boot.

so wait can you use steam as a layer to interpret the DS4 or 3 for dolphin ?

Yes, but only for the Steam Controller and DS4, and from what I understand you can't mix input types, it's either gamepad/xinput or keyboard/mouse input, so you can't have a mix of both in the controller config, unless I'm mistaken.

Nabs

Yes, but only for the Steam Controller and DS4, and from what I understand you can't mix input types, it's either gamepad/xinput or keyboard/mouse input, so you can't have a mix of both in the controller config, unless I'm mistaken.

You can mix controller and mouse/kb in Dolphin. I use gamepad + mouse for a lot of wii games. Just make a regular controller config in Dolphin, then right click the parts you want to assign to m/kb. Use the drop down to select the device, then pick the key or cursor.

Nabs

Would it be possible to get gyro aiming to work with Battlefield 1 or Titanfall since they're not on steam?

You can with the Steam Controller. You just have to make sure Origin is shut down before launching it through Steam.

I haven't tried any Origin games with the DS4 yet.

Knurek

Opting out of beta myself, the current state of support is nowhere near the DS4Windows/InputMapper one.
Radial menus are the only exclusive feature so far, but that functionality is easily implemented using touchpad macros with DS4Windows.

Top Bottom