• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam DualShock 4 support is now live

jediyoshi

Why are you using DS4windows especiallly on 10 it's been depreciated and is giving you the problems you're whining about. Input mapper has been solid the last 4 months it comes on when windows turns on and I never think about it.

Using steam is technically 3rd party too Tux, I don't care what I use but it better work.

No? You're thinking of the other DS4Windows, the one people are using right now's last update was just last week.

Can it do something that DS4Windows can't? You can pretty much bind any controller button to any key, macro etc. with it already.

The UX / UI is obviously better with this one, of course. But I don't see any new functionality per se.
You don't understand. It's all about the community based bindings and what they come up with. You don't get that with DS4Windows.

The sad part is that I was actually expecting Sony to do this when they announced their USB Dongle (which now we know only works with PS Now).

Nice job Valve, it's great to have more options.

TSM

They can't use xinput! MS made it for MS/MS certified controllers. Why would MS allow Sony to have xinput?

And yet here we are with full DS4 support in Windows through Steam. It's almost as if Sony made no effort what so ever and someone else solved the problem for them.

Durante

The DS4 already has PC support. It works on many games like The Witcher 3 which shows PS4 button prompts.

it's all up to the devs. Most of them don't bother to support DS4. it's not on Sony.
The difference being that Valve is making it work for games whose developers don't bother.

Rare to see such a hard-hitting example of the power of an open platform coming from a company rather than individuals.

By the way, say goodbye to this kind of thing in a UWP future dystopia.

I wonder if Valve will also add Steam Controller Battery Life to DualShock 4?
(Truthfact: I'd pay good money for Valve's DS4 clone with 80+ hour per charge).

You can buy a second controller and keep one charged at all times. Or get a portable charger for less. LOL

Eusis

Man, I hope the games that recognize the DS4 pad will also go and still give you the bindings. Would be extra great to have Gyroscope aiming while having the normal controller functionality.

Sophia

Can it do something that DS4Windows can't? You can pretty much bind any controller button to any key, macro etc. with it already.

The UX / UI is obviously better with this one, of course. But I don't see any new functionality per se.

Hard to say exactly, but if it's the full works then you should be able to do everything DS4Windows can and more.

The biggest draw however will be action sets and activators, especially in games that have native support for actions instead of inputs. You'll be able to do things like configure different bindings when a mouse cursor pops up, set actions based upon gameplay features (Like making CS:GO's buy menu control with the analog sticks, or adding gyro support on a per game basis, or customizing every game in the Atari Vault on per game basis), and generally have a huge degree of customization.

You'll also get any improvements that are made to the Steam Controller too, providing they're not reliant on a specific hardware function.

And you'll be able to share your bindings with others too.

And yet here we are with full DS4 support in Windows through Steam. It's almost as if Sony made no effort what so ever and someone else solved the problem for them.

That's steam's own API. it's still not Xinput!! it's already being supported by the devs. You'd also think that Sony worked with valve to get DS4 supported.

Oh my. This is fantastic news. I bought a Steam Controller for the games that don't support regular controllers, but I really am not a fan of it.

This just makes the DS4 the defacto PC controller for me.

Sophia

Reminder: This UI and stuff DOES NOT require going into Big Picture Mode anymore. It launches automatically if you have the SteamController active when starting a game. No reason it should be any different here, in theory.

That's steam's own API. it's still not Xinput!! it's already being supported by the devs. You'd also think that Sony worked with valve to get DS4 supported.

Steam converts it to Xinput. Although if the game has native Steam Controller support you can bind it to actions that way too.

Microsoft can't even make a store that downloads games correctly and Valve is out there solving controller issues in the entire PC gaming space.

I hope this comes soon.

devdays2016_4.jpg

TheRed

Wow this is awesome. I already love my steam controller but for the times id like to use DS4 this will be great.

Sophia

Wait still this work with non steam games that you launch with steam? I'm guessing no right?

Yes, it will work with any application (W10 UWP apps aside) as long as you launch it through Steam. Same way the Steam Controller does right now.

You can even share bindings and stuff.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Does this mean DS4 support for Steam Links too?

I hate how my XB1 controller wont work on Steam Link, even with the USB adaptor. Forcing me to use a 360 controller like its fucking 2006 or something.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I just hate the feel of the DS3 compared to the 4

Dont get me wrong I'm pretty much only KB/M and then DS4 on my pc or mobile setups. Last gen 360 had me by the balls but even with the gimp sensitivity range when I used the DS3/DS4 the analog precision was much better on pc. Only an elite controller can touch the DS4 but I hate it in general.

DS4 is my baby right now, only thing is my rubber is wearing off the sticks finally. Hope I can get a good solution would hate to start on another controller.

Nabs

I hate how my XB1 controller wont work on Steam Link, even with the USB adaptor. Forcing me to use a 360 controller like its fucking 2006 or something.

Steam Link has had DS4 support since the beginning.

Are the games going to show the correct button icons?

If developers start using the Steam Controller API.

But the Steam Link already supports Dual Shock 4? It should work wired and wirelessly.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Great news but is it supposed to drop? Falcom games are notorious for having spotty issues with the DS4 via DS4Windows.

LCGeek

formerly sane

We had this discussion.

If MS can't do shit on their OS to let people use a hid devices correctly correctly why should sony be expected to provide for support for a hid device in windows when MS screws them and any other vendor over?

Sony nor MS will do the right thing, yet I don't see you harping on company far more at fault for the state of DS4 on windows or any other device that hasn't worked properly basically since I started plugging in gravis game pads in to my pc sound blaster card.

No? You're thinking of the other DS4Windows, the one people are using right now's last update was just last week.

My bad. I moved on to IM from the other version as the person was right it's problematic.

RedSwirl

Now if Valve can just do this for my $130 DirectInput PS3 fight stick that works with every damn PC fighting game except Street Fighter V, we can be in business.

Top Bottom