• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popstar

Any explanation?

Edit: Actually, it happens with Hollow Knight too. It must be a bug. Or a feature: maybe Valve waits for a few days before displaying the rating, I remember something along these lines.
Didn't Valve change things so that only reviews from people who purchased from the store show up in the rating and not things like Kickstarter keys?

Accoun

There is a game which has no review on its store page

yet it has 86% positive rating with 153 reviews based on the search page:

Any explanation?

Edit: Actually, it happens with Hollow Knight too. It must be a bug. Or a feature: maybe Valve waits for a few days before displaying the rating, I remember something along these lines.

I think you don't have to write a review to give thumbs up/down anyway (and of course it won't be shown among reviews), but since it supposedly doesn't have any ratings on the page, it's probably you who is right.

prudislav

i never played a total war game

is total warhammer a good first entry in the series?
i would say depends on if you like to play battles or strategc layer more...
for the strategic part TWWh isnt ideal , especially as first TW game ... but as its the first fantasy TW its hands down best for the battles

why does people like these games?

Yeah it's great. Pretty polished, fun fantasy universe.

I like the strategy elements to the game. Nothing is super overwhelming at first, the game really lets you settle into it nicely. The RTS components are a good high-level overview of epic LOTR style battles, and the turn based stuff is engaging and interesting without being a slog.

It's a great balance.

Endruen

Just finished Unravel. It was beautiful.
I had some technical issues at the beggining, but I ended up enjoying it.
The platforming is cool, I love the mechanic of being able to grab the trail you leave behind, and the puzzles make you think just the right amount of time to not break the flow too much.
And the ending quote? Just fucking beautiful.

BlakeofT

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (BlakeofT, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Deponia -- MB-A68415290AAEF0D8 - Taken by aqws. 1 entrants total.
Magicka -- MB-179F8AABAEDE32F5 - Taken by gurm3n. 4 entrants total.
Prime World: Defenders -- MB-3013AEC8D32A2859 - Taken by kinn. 4 entrants total.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky -- MB-94905B9D69A07184 - Taken by sid2vicious. 11 entrants total.
To the Moon -- MB-137DFDC48C42A620 - Taken by PaulSane. 2 entrants total.
Tropico 4: Steam Special Edition -- MB-7D15B8351B049924 - Taken by Danielsan. 1 entrants total.

t1487991774z1.png
bloop

oh god i slipped on ice and now i can barely move my one elbow (not broken, just bruised or something). so in the mean time zkylon typing is a go

p.s. halp

heal me

why does people like these games?

yes. best ui in the series IMO.

and, because there's a great wargame layered over a cool RTS-like combat engine. it has a lot of stuff to do, too. each faction is 100% unique.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think you don't have to write a review to give thumbs up/down anyway (and of course it won't be shown among reviews), but since it supposedly doesn't have any ratings on the page, it's probably you who is right.

Reviews are hidden until the game is a day old, it seems. Stupid Raft Battle Simulator was tagged as having one review, but it wasn't actually on the store page an hour or so ago despite being posted several hours earlier.

Edit: Or a threshold is reached. Hollow Knight unlocked just under 10 hours ago and reviews are now visible on the store page.

illusionary

Is LIT just the
levels, or is there more to come? Not that I'd be overly disappointed if there isn't anything more - I'm just curious how long I should expect to set aside to play it through.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is LIT just the
levels, or is there more to come? Not that I'd be overly disappointed if there isn't anything more - I'm just curious how long I should expect to set aside to play it through.

apparently its just that

So you're telling me SEGA is not happy enough with not porting any of their games, they're now also delaying our PC exclusives???? *old man yells at cloud*

Thought as much, given XSEEDs prior track record with release dates, but I had hope :(
This means I'll have to rethink my spring plans, gah.
Why are there so few sales in the first half of the year.

Given their track record they mean late Spring 2018

Vamphuntr

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire ended at 4.4 million. Obsidian managed a fantastic campaign.

Who said crowd-funding was in decline?!

Pillars of Eternity 1 on Kickstarter got $3,986,929 pledged of $1,100,000 goal by 73,986 backers while Pillars 2 got $4,407,598 OF $1,100,000 GOAL by 33,614 BACKERS.

So they got more than 50% less backers but their hardcore fans and whales dropped more cash on this one. So yeah it is on the decline. Some new projects failed hard like the Apocalypse Now game. If you don't have a big name attached to your project it propably won't go well. At this point crowdfunding games from trusted studios seems to be like cheap preorder compared to the final price.

Pillars of Eternity 1 on Kickstarter got $3,986,929 pledged of $1,100,000 goal by 73,986 backers while Pillars 2 got $4,407,598 OF $1,100,000 GOAL by 33,614 BACKERS.

So they got more than 50% less backers but their hardcore fans and whales dropped more cash on this one. So yeah it is on the decline. Some new projects failed hard like the Apocalypse Now game. If you don't have a big name attached to your project it propably won't go well. At this point crowdfunding games from trusted studios seems to be like cheap preorder compared to the final price.

Apocalypse Now wasn't a very good Kickstarter campaign. No real ingame shots until it was actually too late to generate buzz, a pitch that basically said "we can make your dreams come true but we are not names that you trust"
For a project that asked for a pretty big amount of money, they didn't do a very good job with the campaign.

Mivey

The System Shock remake got funded, their first KS game. There was also a demo that showed what exactly they could do and what they had in mind. The Apocalypse Now thing looked shady as fuck in comparison.
Just because Crowdfunding isn't growing a whole lot, which it isn't, doesn't mean its going away anytime soon. At this point I would even say it's a rather sustainable model. Certainly more than the AAA one which eats ever larger budgets every generation, while certainly not producing that much more enjoyable games.

Berto

Apocalypse Now wasn't a very good Kickstarter campaign. No real ingame shots until it was actually too late to generate buzz, a pitch that basically said "we can make your dreams come true but we are not names that you trust"
For a project that asked for a pretty big amount of money, they didn't do a very good job with the campaign.
And we already have it masterfully adapted in Spec Ops: The Lune :p

Arulan

Apocalypse Now was the very definition of a dubious crowd-funding campaign.

Indie and smaller developers still do very well on Kickstarter. I can name a few of the ones I backed somewhat recently: Stygian, Copper Dreams, Unknown Realm, System Shock, and Beautiful Desolation.

It's obvious campaigns with established developers and/or franchises will get the most attention. It was like this when Kickstarter first started too. You're ultimately deciding how far you can trust a developer to do a thing, and the aforementioned are reassurances. It's also true that returning developers, even small indie developers, do very well in crowd-funding when their first project was well-received. Harebrained Schemes is an excellent example of this.

I think last year's numbers may have been lower than 2015, but it's also true that it was a leap year of sorts for many of the successful big names in crowd-funding.

Don't forget only half of the new campaign's cash came from backers, 2.15mil. The rest comes from fig's investment capital. Rough math: POE1: $52/backer, POE2: $65/backer

Fuck Crapcom, first UMvsC3 and now Dead Rising 4, what are they thinking? $30 for UMvsC3, and $70 for Dead Rising Deluxe Edition? It seems that Crapcom thinks that mexicans are rich enough to pay those prices :mad:

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Anyone know if that $5 discount code they gave PoE1 backers will work with slackerbacker pledges at some point? I was thinking about backing it at $24 but obviously waited too long.

r3n4ud

Fuck Crapcom, first UMvsC3 and now Dead Rising 4, what are they thinking? $30 for UMvsC3, and $70 for Dead Rising Deluxe Edition? It seems that Crapcom thinks that mexicans are rich enough to pay those prices :mad:
I'll be double dipping on DR 4, but that'll have to wait for a big ass sale :/

Parsnip

God damn it, fucked up the latest elusive target.

Killed one target smooth as fuck, but then couldn't find the second one at all and while looking didn't notice one enforcer and it all went to hell. I was still going to complete the thing even though I couldn't get silent assassin anymore, but then context sensitive button bit me in the ass. Instead of smashing a guard's head with a hammer, 47 decided to snap a neck from an unconscious guard (whose head I had previously smashed with a hammer) instead and then some other guard shot him mid-animation.

Amzin

Hmm, I'm not sure I have the desire to bother with the last bosses of DD:DA or not. The BBI just feels like a slogfest and I screwed up and lost my pawns pretty early my first attempt. I guess after all these hours already I should see it through, but also... meh :p Some of the boss rooms in BBI were way more fun.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Icey is getting some free DLC, says it adds new stages and plot, not sure if thats post game / seperate or if it changes the main game, I dont know what that game's structure is like.

Icey is getting some free DLC, says it adds new stages and plot, not sure if thats post game / seperate or if it changes the main game, I dont know what that game's structure is like.

Yeah. They announced it with the american VA.

I actually also wonder what it could be. There is no "post game" in that game, ending spoilers:

The whole game is a loop, story-wise. Icey defeats Judas, the black hole destroys everything, the "universe" resets.

Miletius

Anyone know if that $5 discount code they gave PoE1 backers will work with slackerbacker pledges at some point? I was thinking about backing it at $24 but obviously waited too long.

My initial gut check would say no, but you can contact them and ask them about it. I actually think they would probably hook you up as long as you asked nicely.

bbd23

the map system in hollow knight is kinda lame and the stuttering is very annoying but I like what i've played so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom