• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam hit its all-time concurrent user peak.

iorek21

Ubisoft will return to Steam very soon, I think.

Just imagine how many losses they suffered from all their current releases for not putting them on Steam?

The Division 2
AC Valhalla
WD Legion
Immortals

I don’t doubt that they had nice sales on Uplay and EGS, but Steam is Steam, right?

Holammer

Steam's user engagement is growing like crazy. When the year started peak concurrents were at 18.3M'ish users, later when the first coof lockdowns happened it rose to record levels with 23M concurrents and CSGO peaked at 1.3M. This was a high point which I doubted they would ever reach again.
Now we're in a second but a little less panicky lockdown and they keep cranking out record numbers.

Just imagine how many losses they suffered from all their current releases for not putting them on Steam?

The Division 2
AC Valhalla
WD Legion
Immortals

I don’t doubt that they had nice sales on Uplay and EGS, but Steam is Steam, right?

They want to steer users to Uplay and make Epic pay for it, if it works? Dunno, but I doubt it.

How do these stats work? For example, my computer is on, logged into steam, but my kid is playing Roblox. Does that count? I assume no

Correct, concurrent users on Steam are users currently engaged with a product in their Steam library. Still counts as an 'active user' which is an entirely different thing.

Brofist

The Division 2
AC Valhalla
WD Legion
Immortals

Well if EA crawled back they will too, barring the deals they made

Well if EA crawled back they will too, barring the deals they made
EA quit Steam because they had a squabble with Valve over the 30% cut on Crysis 2 DLC. Wanted to sell DLC directly through the game, bypassing Steam, and Valve didn't like that. Coming back was mutual. Valve wanted Apex Legends. EA wanted their subscription service on Steam. Ubisoft quit Steam because Epic are paying them to do it, and so far Ubisoft have indicated they are very pleased with the arrangement. I don't think it'll change.

Ubisoft recently indicated that AC: Valhalla was the biggest launch they've ever had for a PC game.

Last edited:

small_law

But GAF told me that the face melting power of Cerny's magical box would be the end of the enthusiast PC market, and would dEsTrOy mY 3080 wItH fAcTs aNd LoGiC!!!1!!! Why bother building your PC - which will cost a MILLION dollars to equal the PS5 - when you could just give your money to Sony, and thus make the pain and confusion go away?

These are great numbers for Valve, and a testament to how robust and healthy the PC market is.
Consoles are never going to kill PC and PC is never going to kill consoles. I have both new consoles and I'm hunting down a 3090 for my rig. I never understood the tribalism video games. A rising tide raises all ships.

Compsiox

Banned
Steam seems to be growing at rapid speed. Today Steam reached 24,774,197 players online.

That's a lot of potentially lost players for Ubisoft.

Gotta wonder when that contract with Epic ends. Does not seem like it was worth it.

notseqi

I'm not trying to be funny. That's the entire reason for not playing it. My PC is more than capable. Angry Joe's preview also didn't help.
You're getting shit info.
After 4,5hrs playtime my car was inexplicably trashed but still drove normally. No other bugs so far.

You could probably force a lot of bugs but I want to play the game, not break it.

Gamezone

Gold Member
EA quit Steam because they had a squabble with Valve over the 30% cut on Crysis 2 DLC. Wanted to sell DLC directly through the game, bypassing Steam, and Valve didn't like that. Coming back was mutual. Valve wanted Apex Legends. EA wanted their subscription service on Steam. Ubisoft quit Steam because Epic are paying them to do it, and so far Ubisoft have indicated they are very pleased with the arrangement. I don't think it'll change.

Ubisoft recently indicated that AC: Valhalla was the biggest launch they've ever had for a PC game.

Epic can't pay Ubisoft forever, and when they don't, then what?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Ubi leaving Steam has zero to do with Epic, they wanted to try it like Bethesda, EA & MS (all back until their next try), hence making their client mandatory to get folks used to it prior. They take Epic's money on top & get on EGS cos they know it's hardly a competitor/most sales will be on Connect.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Steam lost Ubisoft to Epic, but Microsoft and EA rejoined. I wonder how much Epic paid Ubisoft for that to happen. Ubisoft are an enormous publisher. No way they need Epic's money that much.
Ubisoft connect, it's like 20$ cad for a month for all games. I know multiple people who just got this for one or two months and finished valhalla and rising fenyx with it. Cheaper than buying the games. Ubisoft doesn't care about steam

Gamezone

Gold Member
Ubisoft connect, it's like 20$ cad for a month for all games. I know multiple people who just got this for one or two months and finished valhalla and rising fenyx with it. Cheaper than buying the games. Ubisoft doesn't care about steam

They can still offer their subscription trough Steam.

I remember lurking in the Gametrailers forums back in 2009. Never a day went by without our daily "Is PC gaming dead" thread.
Back then it was almost a pertinent question. If the 'DRM Wars' hadn't been stopped, if convenient digital distribution didn't overtake retail sales and stop the overwhelming spread of piracy and bootlegs, the PC gaming industry might have been heavily set back. Maybe even collapsed, for some time. I don't know how it was in the US, but around here it took Steam to get people to start actually buying games properly.

Hudo

Well, everyone should play the game of the year, Yakuza: Like A Dragon and incidentally it's on Steam. And a repack doesn't exist (yet), sadly. So one has to deal with the Steam bullshit in the meantime.

Lister

Banned
Actually a new peak today. More than 25 million.

Historical data can be found here: Steam · AppID: 753 · SteamDB

2015: 13.4 million
2016: 13.6 million
2017: 17.9 million
2018: 18.5 million
2019: 17.6 million
2020: 25 million

A growth of 86% in 5 years.

In terms of monthly active users we had over 90 million back in 2017. Assuming that these two factors grow at around the same proportion that would mean Steam probably has something like 117 million or so active monthly users. I personally think monthly active users probably grew at a higher rate so I'd guess 120 million or so monthly active users.

Wake the fuck up, Samurais

hBPT281.jpg

PC gaming on a rise.

l2ounD

Historical data can be found here: Steam · AppID: 753 · SteamDB

2015: 13.4 million
2016: 13.6 million
2017: 17.9 million
2018: 18.5 million
2019: 17.6 million
2020: 25 million

A growth of 86% in 5 years.

In terms of monthly active users we had over 90 million back in 2017. Assuming that these two factors grow at around the same proportion that would mean Steam probably has something like 117 million or so active monthly users. I personally think monthly active users probably grew at a higher rate so I'd guess 120 million or so monthly active users.
That rona era spike

Celcius

°Temp. member
It’s a great platform and PC gaming is more popular than ever... partly due to everyone being stuck at home due to the pandemic. Glad to see it continuing to do well though.

Gamezone

Gold Member
It’s a great platform and PC gaming is more popular than ever... partly due to everyone being stuck at home due to the pandemic. Glad to see it continuing to do well though.

Jupp, but it keeps growing despite many countries not being as restrictive anymore.

Magog.

Banned
Doesn't actually seem like that many given how many low spec machines can access Steam. I wonder what the numbers for Playstation and Xbox are in comparison.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Doesn't actually seem like that many given how many low spec machines can access Steam. I wonder what the numbers for Playstation and Xbox are in comparison.
Yep, that's a cool thing about pc gaming. No matter the low specs or your machine or if you bought it long ago, there will still be games coming out for it.

Magog.

Banned
Yep, that's a cool thing about pc gaming. No matter the low specs or your machine or if you bought it long ago, there will still be games coming out for it.

Kinda sorta. I have a decent old PC but people kept telling me I should upgrade even to play tiny indies like Golf With Friends.

Diddy X

Steam is growing but so is the EGS, I would like to see those growth percentages, Epic had like 60 million monthly users in June I think.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Steam is growing but so is the EGS, I would like to see those growth percentages, Epic had like 60 million monthly users in June I think.

Steam is still king but it'll be a 2 way battle like Apple vs Android.

I can see Epic having more huge exclusives (Apple) but Steam having more users (Android).

JimboJones

Kinda sorta. I have a decent old PC but people kept telling me I should upgrade even to play tiny indies like Golf With Friends.
I mean if it works for you why upgrade? You only upgrade when you're not happy with the current graphics/performance your hardware provides.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member

Epic need to step up their store. Free games are great, but the store still haven't a basic shopping cart to brag about.

Lister

Banned
Concurrent, over 100M MAU.

SHOULD be at PSN level with 114M MAU on Steam, EGS has 60M.

Psn doesn't have 114 maus, unless they're counting things outside the consoles like smart TVs...

Just checked. Yeah they are counting mobile and smart Tvs.

Top Bottom