• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

glad to see so much love for Killing Floor. i will have to get some games in with you gaffers soon.

here's my haul:

Crysis + Crysis Warhead
Mass Effect
Torchlight
Trials 2
Shattered Horizon 4 pack
Commandos 2 and 3
Men of War Gold
Aquaria

already had KF, Stalker, Defense Grid, and Zeno Clash, or i would have jumped on those deals too.

Zzoram

Since November I've purchased:

Osmos - $2
Left 4 Dead 2 - $37.49
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition - $4.99
Torchlight - $9.99
Sid Meier's Pirates! - $6.69
Jade Empire: Special Edition - $3.75
Indigo Prophecy - $3.39
Mass Effect - $4.99
Tropico 3 - Steam Special Edition - $19.99

Total Haul - 9 games for $93.28

Not bad. Of those, I only really regret Torchlight, mainly due to it's price. It's an ok game but not one that I would choose to play over the other ones I've purchased. I didn't play too much Indigo Prophecy or Jade Empire, but I played enough to realise that they're pretty good but are outdated in some ways, mainly controls, that make me no longer want to play them. However, due to how cheap they were, I don't regret having the opportunity to try them.

I was good this year.

Cogs 1.99
Indigo Prophecy 3.39
Time Gentlemen, Please pack 2.49
Lucasarts Adventure pack 2.49
Silent Hill: Homecoming 9.99
Trine 4.99
Oddworld pack 2.49

Total: 25.34

It took a lot of willpower to resist the Civ IV pack, Zeno Clash, The Void, Star Wars: KOTOR, Fuel and some others. I still feel rather regretful I didn't jump on those, that's how bad Steam is for me, it makes me feel bad I didn't spend more money for games I might not even like. But hey, I don't have a job and already have a 30+ backlog so I told myself to stay strong.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Gratuitous Space Battles
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Luxor 3
QuantZ
Risk II
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3
Shattered Horizon
Crysis Complete (NA)
Street Fighter IV
Braid
Max Payne Bundle
Osmos
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
Dead Space
Zombie Shooter
Zombie Shooter 2
Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within
Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
Evil Genius
Rome: Total War Gold
Lumines Base + Advance Pack
Ghostbusters: The Videogame
Torchlight
Serious Sam HD (US)
Grand Theft Auto IV (US/AU)
Total: $ 141.05 (US dollars)

Daigoro

Killing Floor
Trine
Safecracker 2 (NA)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky (ROW)
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Luxor Mahjong
SlamIt Pinball: Big Score
Left 4 Dead 2

this was my haul during the sale. came in under $65, L4D2 being the most expensive at $34.

i would have liked to pick up a few more things, including CIV4, but im happy overall, dont regret any of the purchases, and didnt overspend.

I bought:

Time Gnetleman Please!
Fuel
Painkiller:Black Edition
Street fighter IV
Titan Quest: Gold
Zombie Shooter 2
Alien Shooter: Revisited
Shadowgrounds: Survivor
Half Life: Source

=£29.71

Was gifted:

Left 4 Dead 2
Jade Empire
Mr. Robot
Lumines + Advanced pack
Ghost Master
Dark Sector
Torchlight
Trine
Killing Floor

So quite a nice haul for less than £30 outlay! :D

Atrophis

Ended up with:

Torchlight
Killing Floor
Left 4 Dead
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Max Payne bundle
Audiosurf
Braid
Dark Messiah
Beyond Good and Evil

Wanted Shattered Horizon but missed the sale due to New Years hang over. Not a bad haul for 30 odd quid.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Was gifted:
-LucasArts Adventure Bundle
-Rome: Total War [GOLD]
-Oddworld Pack
-Audiosurf

Bought for myself:
-Torchlight
-Lumines
-Osmos
-Civilization IV [complete]
-LucasArts Jedi Knight Bundle

Gave as gifts:
-Torchlight
-Mass Effect

Yay backlog! :lol

vazel

Banned
omg are you people still reminiscing. Get over it it was a nice sale and all but it's time to move on!

Edit: Fuck completely forgot about my Shattered Horizon guest pass now it's expired. Sorry for whoever wasted it on me.

Spruchy

vazel said:
omg are you people still reminiscing. Get over it it was a nice sale and all but it's time to move on!

Edit: Fuck completely forgot about my Shattered Horizon guest pass now it's expired. Sorry for whoever wasted it on me.

Great job.

Ledsen

GamaFu said:
There are only two expansions for civilization iv, warlord and beyond the sword. I believe beyond the sword has included all new features/changes added in warlord, so yeah, you only need to download the original game and beyond the sword. Colonization is a standalone game, I haven't tried it though. With or without the expansion, civilization played quite similar to me. There's no reason to play vanilla i guess.

Actually you only need to download Beyond the Sword. I can play BtS fine after installing it, vanilla Civ 4 is still in my list of uninstalled games. I'm guessing it checks if you own Civ 4 and then downloads all the necessary files by itself.

GamaFu

Banned
Ledsen said:
Actually you only need to download Beyond the Sword. I can play BtS fine after installing it, vanilla Civ 4 is still in my list of uninstalled games. I'm guessing it checks if you own Civ 4 and then downloads all the necessary files by itself.
hmm... that's good to know. Since Steam put this line on the Beyond the Sword product page: "Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword requires the Steam version of Sid Meier's Civilization IV to play," I thought they meant it requires the original to work like normally how an expansion works. Guess you're right, Steam might download everything it needs as long as you have the original on your list.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
brain_stew said:
=£29.71

Was gifted:

Left 4 Dead 2
Jade Empire
Mr. Robot
Lumines + Advanced pack
Ghost Master
Dark Sector
Torchlight
Trine
Killing Floor

So quite a nice haul for less than £30 outlay! :D
I need better friends.

Ledsen said:

I think this is sort of an artifact from how the game was originally released on Steam. When it came out, you didn't need to have the Steam version of base Civ4 to get BtS-that only came later. I know because that's my setup, and I can confirm that now I just need to download and install BtS to play Civ4. Not that I play Civ4 much nowadays, thanks Paradox.

fanboi

Banned
Can someone help me with Bioshock, Win 7 64bit.

When I try to start it I get .exe error... I change some stuff in the .ini file regarding sound... it then starts, but after the intro when the plane crash, there is no sound to be found.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
fanboi said:
Can someone help me with Bioshock, Win 7 64bit.

When I try to start it I get .exe error... I change some stuff in the .ini file regarding sound... it then starts, but after the intro when the plane crash, there is no sound to be found.
I read setting the .exe to Windows 200 comptability fixes the sound issue with Windows 7. I had a similar issue in Vista when I played it and I think that was how I solved it as well

Dynoro said:
So who's hoping for a midweek sale? :lol

What would be really cool would be Torchlight for $1.99.

Then the weekend sale would be The Witcher for $4.99.

I think the feedback on here would be hilarious. It would be like giving their customers a giant middle finger.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Dynoro said:
So who's hoping for a midweek sale? :lol
After playing the demos, I'm regretting not buying Zombie/Alien Shooter 2.
Minsc said:
Fallout 3 GOTY $17.99 again, make it happen!
I bought it yesterday. Put me on suicide watch for this one.

The witcher finally started downloading at a decent speed this morning. I had errors all last night, and it was ridiculously slow when it worked.

Spent 75.35, games are currently going for 287.30. Not bad at all, by my estimation, and I now officially have a PC backlog that will last me until next Christmas.

poweld said:
They can take away our sales, but they can never take away our thread!

mel-gibson-braveheart-photograph-c101019223.jpg

JoeMartin

Also wow I feel completely cheated for buying Red Faction Guerrilla. I can't save or load unless I log into that stupid Windows Live thing, but trying to log in with it crashes the game?

Well done, awesome product.

Twig

Banned
Once I updated GFWL I had no problems. :3

P.S. Killing Floor rocks. It's nothing like Left 4 Dead, aside from a similarity in theme, so I don't know why so many people say it is.

Has more in common with the old HL1 mod, Brainbread. Which is waesome.

I'm really liking the PC port of Grand Theft Auto 4. Had some performance issues at the beginning, but that was mainly due to the fact that I was trying to run everything on high. Scaled it back to the console settings then increased the sliders to around 30% and the shadow/filtering quality to high. Now it's running at a mostly steady 40fps with some dips to 20s. Really nice looking too.

The only thing I don't like is that the Rockstar Social Club program doesn't close down automatically when you close GTA4, so Steam will continue to assume that you are still playing the game even though you exited.

Top Bottom