• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozium

Ys I has cards now too? I thought it was just II and Oath in Felghana that just received them..

also IdleMaster idled Final Dusk, but I could have sworn I already had the cards for those drop....

I hope more people enter and realize this isn't a bundle spare. I feel like futuristic racers always get overlooked.
Yep. I have to urge anyone to watch this impressions video from Phawx on Distance.
Really made me interested in the game in the first place. The speed, the colors.

Reminds me of good times with Pod and Megarace 2.
All the "Screw you haha." crap I found in Matthewmatosis' review have completely made me give up on the game.
Is that Matthew guy a famous reviewer? I am having such a grand old time with Dark Souls 1 currently that I can't hold the excitement to play Dark Souls 2 right after it. Hope it is a worthy successor.
I win, and I'm in front of one of the greatest movie stars of all time. Life is good. :)
Need more details.

Speevy

Banned
Well, Dark Souls and Demon's Souls were kind of a big deal on consoles, having brought genuine challenge and atmosphere back to console gaming for one of the few times since the PS2.

Unfortunately, DS2 apparently took advantage of the good will extended to the series by offering combat encounters that were cheaper, enemies that were less memorable/fun to fight, and a less appealing and cohesive aesthetic.

Souls' gameplay is pretty hard to capture in a bottle, so From had their work cut out for them anyway. I think the consensus is that DS2, while not a bad game, is the one you can skip if you have to skip any of them.

ExoSoul

Banned
Well, Dark Souls and Demon's Souls were kind of a big deal on consoles, having brought genuine challenge and atmosphere back to console gaming for one of the few times since the PS2.

Unfortunately, DS2 apparently took advantage of the good will extended to the series by offering combat encounters that were cheaper, enemies that were less memorable/fun to fight, and a less appealing and cohesive aesthetic.

Souls' gameplay is pretty hard to capture in a bottle, so From had their work cut out for them anyway. I think the consensus is that DS2, while not a bad game, is the one you can skip if you have to skip any of them.
Truer words were never said, just a note though:
If you don't really care about the challenge (kinda the point of these games but hey, we won't judge
we will
) DS2 is the one with the better weapons mechanics.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I think Demon's is arguably more skippable than Dark Souls 2. It gets a free pass for a lot of it's flaws simply because it was the first Souls game where the other two do not IMO.

Speevy

Banned
I think Demon's is arguably more skippable than Dark Souls 2. It gets a free pass for a lot of it's flaws simply because it was the first Souls game where the other two do not IMO.

Time is always a redeemer of fledgling game design, though Demon's Souls made everyone say "OH GOD GIVE ME MORE OF THIS HOLY SHIT"

I am having loads of fun slowly getting better, getting used to enemies, learning their attack patterns, mastering them and finally being able to smash enemies with ease who gave me a very hard time in the beginning. Very satisfying.
I also enjoy that the world opens up to me slowly. I kinda have to fight hard to see the next little room or bridge etc. And then I learn its kinks and secrets slowly but steadily until I know it like my pocket.
But most of all do I enjoy the superb fighting mechanics of Souls games. The weapons, the lock on, the timing, parries and backstabs. It is very tactical and being slow gives me lots of chances to improve and test different tactics.

I do have to say though that Dark Souls feels like a real step-up from Demons Souls in some ways. Not sure if a similar thing happened with DS2 but as long as I get new enemies, new locations, new spells and new secrets to explore I am fine.

Visually speaking am I in a weird spot where DS1 runs and looks a lot worse than DS2, so I am actually gonna be able to enjoy DS2 visually way more, haha.

Only need that Season Pass before it - maybe? - gets janked once the new DS2 version comes out.

bK8r8Kj.png

yussss. Feels good.

Ground Zeroes, it's been a pleasure. Definitely one of my prouder 100%. It wasn't particularly hard, but it did take some time and effort. Paid $9 for it, got 33 hours out of it... Easily got my money's worth three times over. If you've had even the slightest interest in the game, you should get it. I'd bet that if you've liked what you've seen, you'll like what you play. Personally, I'd even recommend it at full price (mainly for completionists though, you'll probably get $/hr going for 100% no problem), but I'm sure the price is what's made many hold off. So for sure pick it up when it hits a price you're comfortable with. I'll just say, it didn't feel like "just a demo" to me. It doesn't have a whole lot of content, but there's still plenty of game to play. A handful of missions, multiple ways of doing each mission, a bunch of challenges you can do, speedrun potential... It's just good stuff.

Normally I'm against pre-ordering, but you can bet your ass I'm gonna be all over that pre-order for The Phantom Pain as soon as it goes live.

tl;dr Get Ground Zeroes, it's friggin' awesome.

zkylon

zkylewd

if you HAVE to skip one of them, sure. but why would you?

they're all great games, and even if dark souls 2 is the weakest of the bunch, it's still a great game. the dlc is also really good, with great bosses and great level design.

they're like the single most interesting thing coming out of aaa gaming. don't skip any of them, why would you do that when they're all so cheap so often?

I am having loads of fun slowly getting better, getting used to enemies, learning their attack patterns, mastering them and finally being able to smash enemies with ease who gave me a very hard time in the beginning. Very satisfying.
I also enjoy that the world opens up to me slowly. I kinda have to fight hard to see the next little room or bridge etc. And then I learn its kinks and secrets slowly but steadily until I know it like my pocket.
But most of all do I enjoy the superb fighting mechanics of Souls games. The weapons, the lock on, the timing, parries and backstabs. It is very tactical and being slow gives me lots of chances to improve and test different tactics.

I do have to say though that Dark Souls feels like a real step-up from Demons Souls in some ways. Not sure if a similar thing happened with DS2 but as long as I get new enemies, new locations, new spells and new secrets to explore I am fine.

Visually speaking am I in a weird spot where DS1 runs and looks a lot worse than DS2, so I am actually gonna be able to enjoy DS2 visually way more, haha.

Only need that Season Pass before it - maybe? - gets janked once the new DS2 version comes out.
imo the cons of dark souls 2 compared to 1 are:
* a good number of the bosses are boring
* the level design is generally less elaborate with a few exceptions
* the characters aren't as memorable
* imo the story sucks
* parries are balanced, so they suck
* the game's too easy. i don't necessarily think this would be a straight con but i think it's not a true souls game if you're consistently beating bosses on your first try
* the world doesn't connect as neatly as it did in dks1

the dlc tho, is superb, with great level design on all three and (mostly) great boss fights. the dlc has some weird "multiplayer" areas that aren't as good, but i just skipped them. also the clarity on some aspects like covenants and weapons upgrades and generally the more bountiful amounts of upgrading stones means you can experiment a lot with weapons which i really enjoyed

all that would be in context of the other games tho. so where the bosses are boring in comparison to dks1's or demons', they're actually super good in comparison to like everything else

it was still my favorite game last year and played it a lot so def recommended. the souls formula is just that good

Teeth

I think this is a bit of an overstatement.

DS2 was legitimately trying to offer something new and push back against a lot of the tactics players fell back on.

Lots of the combat complaints were designs to offer new challenges to long time players: the infinite stamina, gang fights, and attack tracking existed in DS1 and Demon's in the form of every boss fight; they just started applying it to normal encounters. They are all there to help mix up the strategy that existed effectively for 95% of De and DS1 encounters: circle towards the back of an enemy and go for a backstab, dodge roll on any attack (in any direction, it's irrelevant).

Adding more forced gang fights (which existed in both De and DS1 pretty extensively) adds variance because it forces the user to control space more effectively, pick their backstabs more timely, and actually pay attention to which direction they dodge roll.

The attack tracking was mostly just an animation change; in the first two games, enemies would lift their sword, feet planted, then on the swing, would instantly snap turn to face you. They just changed it so that they enemy spins to track you, then locks in place on the actual swing. Couldn't really tell you which is more "fair", but I would agree that the animation looks better the old way. I do believe that the spin is a remnant from the older builds of DS2 where you had to specifically roll to avoid attacks (roll left or right for overheads or backwards for side swipes) as there was almost zero invincibility frames. It probably seemed like a good idea at the time, but I'm glad they switched back to the i-frame style, even with the more limited frames (hybrid).

Everyone keeps saying that DS2 is "cheap" and "unfair" yet almost all agree that in the long run, it's easier than DS1 by quite a bit.

I will admit that DS2 has the least memorable bosses of the 3 games. And it has the biggest divide between the best and worst looking areas, but I'd still say that the art also has some of the best looking areas in all of the games. The lighting in some areas is unmatched. I personally think DeS is as ugly as can be; boring armor and weapon designs, flat boxy primitives abound, and a stupid mishmash of Western grimdark with hammy anime elements. DS1 is unmatched though.

DS2 is not as good as DS1, but it is light years better than 99% of games and offers some truly thrilling and excellent areas. The Forest of Fallen Giants, Lost Bastille, Iron Keep, Drangleic Castle, No Man's Wharf, Huntsman's Copse and every area from all of the DLCs are excellent levels. The PvP areas are such a great idea for integrating other players directly into the world. Heide's Tower of Flame, Majula, Dragon Aerie offer visuals greater than any other in a DS game. The magic system overhaul and balance is better than any of the other games.

DS2 is a stellar game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
if you HAVE to skip one of them, sure. but why would you?

they're all great games, and even if dark souls 2 is the weakest of the bunch, it's still a great game. the dlc is also really good, with great bosses and great level design.

they're like the single most interesting thing coming out of aaa gaming. don't skip any of them, why would you do that when they're all so cheap so often?

To prove that you are cool or something.

yo i was playing south park and I was up to a certain part when you get shrunk(you know what part) and I had to alt tab the game and quit it, thank god I had headphones on, my mom was in the room >_>

Turfster

... and that was the end of my 9th anniversary F.E.A.R. runthrough, which had been so rudely interrupted by THE CLAW.
Game's still amazing and scary as fuck.

Parsnip

* a good number of the bosses are boring
* the game's too easy. i don't necessarily think this would be a straight con but i think it's not a true souls game if you're consistently beating bosses on your first try
This is probably my biggest problem with DaS2. I don't think the game overall is easier, but because a lot of the bosses were dudes in armor, they were rather boring and predictable (and thus easy) for my build at least.

I played Demon's after I had already finished Dark, and Demon's kind of felt like a beta version of Dark in some ways. There's some of that same feeling in DaS vs DaS2 as well. Having just finished DaS1 again, while still absolutely fantastic game, some things were definitely improved in the sequel.

Also, Grim Fandango Remaster looks pretty good.
"Looks exactly as I remember it, looks like they are not remastering it at all" was my first reaction, but actually comparing the original to the new versions, boy. Cleaning up the art and stuff makes a big difference.

What a shame.

I think they would say that. Both would be fine. Maybe theu star with tegular Warhammer and if that is succesful they make 40k.

I would guess that Relic will continue to develop 40k games for the time being. But maybe if this game is a success, Creative Assembly might get a stab at 40k at a later time. Since SEGA owns both, I can't imagine there being any rights issues.
Fantasy setting is too generic IMO, probably plays very similarly to any regular TW game.

zkylon

zkylewd
Speevs never argued to skip any Souls game. That was just a method to tell which game he found to be the lesser in the trilogy.
Don't know why you're trying to make him not skip a game lol
was trying to make a point with shit writing i guess

ideas was that it's just not valid to say "if you have to skip one..." in the context of the souls series :p

ed: also i was trying to counter a bit of the negativity directed at the game since saying "it's not bad" is a massive understatement imo

I think this is a bit of an overstatement.

DS2 was legitimately trying to offer something new and push back against a lot of the tactics players fell back on.

Lots of the combat complaints were designs to offer new challenges to long time players: the infinite stamina, gang fights, and attack tracking existed in DS1 and Demon's in the form of every boss fight; they just started applying it to normal encounters. They are all there to help mix up the strategy that existed effectively for 95% of De and DS1 encounters: circle towards the back of an enemy and go for a backstab, dodge roll on any attack (in any direction, it's irrelevant).

Adding more forced gang fights (which existed in both De and DS1 pretty extensively) adds variance because it forces the user to control space more effectively, pick their backstabs more timely, and actually pay attention to which direction they dodge roll.

The attack tracking was mostly just an animation change; in the first two games, enemies would lift their sword, feet planted, then on the swing, would instantly snap turn to face you. They just changed it so that they enemy spins to track you, then locks in place on the actual swing. Couldn't really tell you which is more "fair", but I would agree that the animation looks better the old way. I do believe that the spin is a remnant from the older builds of DS2 where you had to specifically roll to avoid attacks (roll left or right for overheads or backwards for side swipes) as there was almost zero invincibility frames. It probably seemed like a good idea at the time, but I'm glad they switched back to the i-frame style, even with the more limited frames (hybrid).

Everyone keeps saying that DS2 is "cheap" and "unfair" yet almost all agree that in the long run, it's easier than DS1 by quite a bit.

I will admit that DS2 has the least memorable bosses of the 3 games. And it has the biggest divide between the best and worst looking areas, but I'd still say that the art also has some of the best looking areas in all of the games. The lighting in some areas is unmatched. I personally think DeS is as ugly as can be; boring armor and weapon designs, flat boxy primitives abound, and a stupid mishmash of Western grimdark with hammy anime elements. DS1 is unmatched though.

DS2 is not as good as DS1, but it is light years better than 99% of games and offers some truly thrilling and excellent areas. The Forest of Fallen Giants, Lost Bastille, Iron Keep, Drangleic Castle, No Man's Wharf, Huntsman's Copse and every area from all of the DLCs are excellent levels. The PvP areas are such a great idea for integrating other players directly into the world. Heide's Tower of Flame, Majula, Dragon Aerie offer visuals greater than any other in a DS game. The magic system overhaul and balance is better than any of the other games.

DS2 is a stellar game.
This makes me even more excited to play it :D
Thanks for the huge write-up!
was trying to make a point with shit writing i guess

ideas was that it's just not valid to say "if you have to skip one..." in the context of the souls series :p

ed: also i was trying to counter a bit of the negativity directed at the game since saying "it's not bad" is a massive understatement imo
Oh yeah, I understood your intention. Just found it funny how hard it came through, haha.
Thanks for your list on DS2 as well. I am thankfully easy to satisfy, so I am optimistic at having a grand time with DS2 as well.

Teeth

I played Demon's after I had already finished Dark, and Demon's kind of felt like a beta version of Dark in some ways. There's some of that same feeling in DaS vs DaS2 as well. Having just finished DaS1 again, while still absolutely fantastic game, some things were definitely improved in the sequel.

I totally agree with this. I played DS1, then DeS, then DS2 and I feel this way.

I prefer the movement mechanics of DS1 the best still (with the super far rolls and less restricted movement gating), but the overall flow of DS2 is an interesting variation.

But stuff like weapon degradation, magic, weapon upgrading, covenants, and items are all better in DS2.

People say that DS2 has the weakest bosses, but in DeS, I felt like every other boss was The Bed of Chaos. All puzzle bullshit that can insta-kill you if you haven't figured it out yet, or easy for babbies if you have or do so quickly. There are some standouts though. But all in all, I felt DeS felt totally cheap. You don't like the enemy gauntlets in DS2? How about the run ups to the Tower Knight, the Penetrator, anything in the Valley of Defilement...to be honest, i can't really remember any other areas.

I feel like my play times speak for my opinions pretty well:
DS1 - 1st play through 70 hours (inc DLC), second play through 40 hours, 3rd and 4th 30 hours each
DeS - One play through, 24 hours
DS2 - 1st play through 70 hrs, second 50 hours, 30 hours of DLC, 20 hours of PvP. 20 misc. hours

I totally agree with this. I played DS1, then DeS, then DS2 and I feel this way.

I prefer the movement mechanics of DS1 the best still (with the super far rolls and less restricted movement gating), but the overall flow of DS2 is an interesting variation.

But stuff like weapon degradation, magic, weapon upgrading, covenants, and items are all better in DS2.

People say that DS2 has the weakest bosses, but in DeS, I felt like every other boss was The Bed of Chaos. All puzzle bullshit that can insta-kill you if you haven't figured it out yet, or easy for babbies if you have or do so quickly. There are some standouts though. But all in all, I felt DeS felt totally cheap. You don't like the enemy gauntlets in DS2? How about the run ups to the Tower Knight, the Penetrator, anything in the Valley of Defilement...to be honest, i can't really remember any other areas.
I played DeS before DS, so I do appreciate the improvements. But I can also understand the first to seem a bit "lesser" since it was a unique game back then which must have been a pretty tough sell to Sony. They probably didn't know themselves whether it'd be a success or not, so they couldn't add everything they actually wanted.
Once work on DS began, they likely knew of the potential and got more opportunities to put their vision into work.

Also, DeS having a hub-world compared to DS interconnected open-world does change the flow of the game by nature of design imo.

I enjoyed both games but I am glad that I played DeS first. That said, I had a much, much easier time at the start of DS than DeS. DeS' beginning was very, very frustrating. You couldn't upgrade or level up until beating the first boss. And the enemies up until that were not a walk in the park. DS was such an immediate joy.

DS1 - 1st play through 70 hours (inc DLC), second play through 40 hours, 3rd and 4th 30 hours each
DS2 - 1st play through 70 hrs, second 50 hours, 20 hours of DLC, 30 hours of PvP. 20 misc. hours
How in the world.... I put over 70hrs on my only paythrough in DeS. o_O

zkylon

zkylewd

DS2 - 1st play through 70 hrs, second 50 hours, 30 hours of DLC, 20 hours of PvP. 20 misc. hours

personally i liked the story and world the best on demons, and also i found there to be the most cool areas in demons too. all the X-1s are amazing and some of the bosses are really cool too, at least conceptually

dks1 has imo the best characters and the best bosses, tho this is kind of tied with demons. i prefer the interconnected world of dks1 to the nexus so i really liked how that worked, even if some of the areas aren't as interesting to me.

dks2 is like the perfect example of streamlining done right, but i think maybe sequels aren't great for the souls series. some of the levels felt like dks2 version of x level of dks1 and the bosses are really bad. the areas aren't too interesting either. it's just not up to par with the other two, but it does enough, and the dlc is really good.

the level design in demons is unmatched tho, and the areas are just so fucking creepy, it's awesome.

Oh yeah, I understood your intention. Just found it funny how hard it came through, haha.
Thanks for your list on DS2 as well. I am thankfully easy to satisfy, so I am optimistic at having a grand time with DS2 as well.
yea you shold be optimistic, dks2 is great

just don't make a dks3 and port bloodborne to pc

sequels make bad souls games methinks

DKS2 offers, besides 2-3 areas, totally bland areas. I liked the game, but most of the areas were bland, some looked like ass graphically(I remember this forest area, that looked like it could be from some late Ps2 game) and a lot of them were uninspired and repetitive.

DeS is usually pretty easy/short for DkS veterans going backwards to check out what they missed.
Huh, that's interesting. As a DeS veteran I somehow am not as fast with DS though, haha.
yea you shold be optimistic, dks2 is great
just don't make a dks3 and port bloodborne to pc
sequels make bad souls games methinks
The more I play Dark Souls the more I get sad that I won't be able to play Bloodborne which looks like a similar jump from DeS>DS.
What a shame :(

zkylon

zkylewd
DKS2 offers, besides 2-3 areas, totally bland areas. I liked the game, but most of the areas were bland, some looked like ass graphically(I remember this forest area, that looked like it could be from some late Ps2 game) and a lot of them were uninspired and repetitive.

dlc, play the dlc!

The more I play Dark Souls the more I get sad that I won't be able to play Bloodborne which looks like a similar jump from DeS>DS.
What a shame :(
yeah when i have money i'll buy a ps4 for bloodborne

souls games are worth it

Teeth

I enjoyed both games but I am glad that I played DeS first. That said, I had a much, much easier time at the start of DS than DeS. DeS' beginning was very, very frustrating. You couldn't upgrade or level up until beating the first boss. And the enemies up until that were not a walk in the park. DS was such an immediate joy.

How in the world.... I put over 70hrs on my only paythrough in DeS. o_O

Like you, after having played over 100 hours of another DS game, going into a second DS game is remarkably easier.

I'm not going to lie, I actively disliked DeS for the majority of my time playing. The ugly armor, the boring weapons, the budget looking environments, the lame looking enemies...I get that a lot of DS1 is just taking DeS ideas and doing them better. As such, after playing DS1, DeS felt like a low rent student project Dark Souls. The lame looking black knights with no history; the goofy looking green monkeys fought on a bridge; the anime looking false king; the flat boring looking version of Blighttown with Dobby looking enemies; shiny armor skellingtons; the endless boring lookalike maze of the Latria prison.

I know I played it "wrong" now. I played the levels in order, basically. Straight through, aside from the kink into 2-1, 2-2, to get back to finish world 1. As such, After clearing out the first 2 worlds, i blew through the remaining levels in a flash. I think I beat the last two worlds' bosses the first time I saw them (which I don't think I did with any bosses in DS2 all told). I don't even remember the Arbitrator (or whatever the big tongue boss is called), the blind boss or the first 2 bosses in Valley of Defilement because I blew right through them first time. I think I beat the false king the 3rd time I got to him (and FUCK that dragon before him).

I just didn't like it enough. I just wanted it to be over. So much of it felt cheap and low rent. And ugly. I will never understand the people that think the atmosphere is the best. All I could see were the boxy Maya primitives and flat brick textures.

The twinkling bells were nice though.

Speevy

Banned
Just a note that I do have Dark Souls 2. I do not condemn the game, and I do see the high points touched upon by other posters.

I can't wait for Bloodborne. Is that a PS4 exclusive or is it confirmed for PC?.

zkylon

zkylewd
Just a note that I do have Dark Souls 2. I do not condemn the game, and I do see the high points touched upon by other posters.

I can't wait for Bloodborne. Is that a PS4 exclusive or is it confirmed for PC?.

ps4 only and unlikely to ever be ported since it's like a demon's souls deal

very sad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom