• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeth

Just a note that I do have Dark Souls 2. I do not condemn the game, and I do see the high points touched upon by other posters.

I can't wait for Bloodborne. Is that a PS4 exclusive or is it confirmed for PC?.

It's cool, I was just expounding on my points more for all to see rather than just you. I think it gets a bad rap sometimes.

Bloodborne is funded by Sony so it will never see a PC release.

Which unfortunately means that it will be a $400 game instead of a $60 game. Sigh.

Who am I kidding, I'll probably only play it 3 years later when i can get a PS4 for cheap. Even then. Although I would like to someday play Last of Us to see if modern Naughty Dog can make a good game.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I should play Dark Souls soon, even though I berate the game without any legitimacy. I'd probably be hooked. Maybe.

Parsnip

Best, well, the most thrilling boss in DaS2 for me was the trio in the first DLC.
It feels like in almost every boss in all 3 souls games, you have time for a breather, sip some estus, lower your shield to get some fast stamina regain and do other stuff that takes a few seconds.
Not so much with the trio, as soon as you go through the fog it's fucking on and never lets go. Those two dudes are on your skin all the time and the third guy with the bow taking potshots from distance, ugh I hate it and I love it, and doing it solo was murder.

autoduelist

I think Demon's is arguably more skippable than Dark Souls 2. It gets a free pass for a lot of it's flaws simply because it was the first Souls game where the other two do not IMO.

I don't think Demon's is skippable at all. It's... just wonderful. I wouldn't recommend skipping Dark, either of course.

I'd argue Demon's has some of the best environmental and enemy design -- I mean, the Mind Flayers in the prison / Tower of Latria are up there with the best monsters ever designed (in the same realm as old school Beholders for me). Dark Souls is no slouch in this department either, and I understand why going from Dark to Demon's would create issues (there are obviously some areas that owe much to Demon's Souls, so going backwards could feel like a step down due to improvements made in the second).

I think a lot of that comes down to which you play first though. I had the original on preorder for months and played it into the ground for a very long time, so I had to 'get used to' Dark.

Also, I think Demon's just marks some really important milestones in gaming history. First, the triumphant return of challenge to consoles... but also some of the game design ideas, such as the ability to communicate with others in the form of hints/messages on the ground, the ability to view the 'ghosts' of others dying to warn you of danger, the anonymous coop options for both helping (and killing) others. It truly brought a lot to the world of gaming, beyond fantastic combat and environments.

Teeth

Best, well, the most thrilling boss in DaS2 for me was the trio in the first DLC.
It feels like in almost every boss in all 3 souls games, you have time for a breather, sip some estus, lower your shield to get some fast stamina regain and do other stuff that takes a few seconds.
Not so much with the trio, as soon as you go through the fog it's fucking on and never lets go. Those two dudes are on your skin all the time and the third guy with the bow taking potshots from distance, ugh I hate it and I love it, and doing it solo was murder.

How did you find the double tigers in the snow? Aside from the absolutely brutal run up.

I tried to solo every boss, but I had to summon an AI meat distraction for that one. Their super high health meant switching weapons mid-fight, which i wasn't willing to take the weight hit to have them both live. Beat them eventually by the skin of my teeth...heart pounding like a jackhammer.

Dark Souls 2 DLC is consistently (minus one boss) the best soulsing ever so thats enough reason not to skip 2. Also it was the GOTY and all round awesome game in every way.

Nabs

fuck youuuuu hexcells infiniteeeee fuuuuuuuu

ibckixmPRoIrln.gif

Parsnip

How did you find the double tigers in the snow? Aside from the absolutely brutal run up.

I tried to solo every boss, but I had to summon an AI meat distraction for that one. Their super high health meant switching weapons mid-fight, which i wasn't willing to take the weight hit to have them both live. Beat them eventually by the skin of my teeth...heart pounding like a jackhammer.

Oh yeah, the run up.
I used drangleic sword as my main and had a claymore (I think) in the second slot and wore some lighter armor in order keep the weight reasonable. It was a rough one as well for sure, anything with more than 1 enemy is for me. Relying on target lock and a heavy shield gets tricky and I suck at rolling. The lighter armor (and lower poise) probably actually helped in the end.

Knurek

fuck youuuuu hexcells infiniteeeee fuuuuuuuu

Truly the Dark Souls of math puzzle games.
Wrapped up Cognition... The definition of a B-tier adventure game. And the developer commentary (which I usually love) hurt my actual enjoyment of the game, because there was just too much of it here. Like, 10-20 snippets of gameplay intersected with a 5-10 minute long commentary entry.
Also, the payoff definitely wasn't worth the ~19 hours I spent on the game. The whole last episode seemed just terribly rushed. Hearing the developers discuss 'we had a puzzle here, but had to cut it for time/financial reasons' in just about every screen didn't exactly instill confidence. Oh well...

Lain

I only have level 6-3 and level 6-4 left to complete on Hexcells Infinite and yet I feel like I'm far, far away from finishing it. 6-3 is quite the challenge (though getting 6-5 done was hard too). Such a little level yet finding the good starting point is proving difficult.

Anustart

I watched the hexcells video on steam and it looked like mine sweeper except you just clicked all the covered cells.

Poor way to market I as I'm sure there is more to it than that.

Knurek

I watched the hexcells video on steam and it looked like mine sweeper except you just clicked all the covered cells.

Poor way to market I as I'm sure there is more to it than that.

There's nothing more to it than that.
Hexcells lives by its excellent puzzle design alone. You can't really market that well, other than by word of mouth.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

tSosaRZ.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-9E684037A1813BE3 - Taken by trailmix16

Anustart

There's nothing more to it than that.
Hexcells lives by its excellent puzzle design alone. You can't really market that well, other than by word of mouth.

Well, I meant in the videos I watched it just looked like you click every cell once to win.

Deques

when they're given a reason to

it's all on ubisoft and ea to make valve scared enough to actually fix shit

we're fucked lol

Even if they are scared they wouldn't improve their existing features, instead they will add more useless features that are broken

Robert7lee

Neo Member
Sorry if posting in wrong thread.

Double dipped on me2 on pc was annoyed and angry there is no official controller support I have since found 2 ways to play the game with a controller,

One is with xpadder, which doesn't feel very smoother especially with aiming, on the plus side rumble is mapped to RT.

Then there's a Coalesced ini file available which offers partial controller support and changes menu layout like consoles, but no rumble..

Has anyone been able to find a perfect method of playing this with a controller...on pc?

zkylon

zkylewd
Even if they are scared they wouldn't improve their existing features, instead they will add more useless features that are broken
yeah, you're probably right

i mean to be fair to valve a lot of the features they add are actually pretty cool in theory, it's just that they often feel like they get forgotten or they just fail to achieve what was supposed to be unique in the first place

like, seriously, would twitch support be any different than the steam streaming thing? or is the new frontpage really so much different than before? will it be worth it to take forever with the steam boxes just so they can make their own weird controller (among other things)?

i mean none of this would be too bad if they did the basic stuff right in the first place :|

Zkyyyy...welcome back :)
hey, thank you

Welcome chode back zkylon, didn't realize it was you with the new avatar :)
lol thanks

figured after my break i'm new me so i need new avatar that reflects my rejuvenated self

yuraya

Sorry if posting in wrong thread.

Double dipped on me2 on pc was annoyed and angry there is no official controller support I have since found 2 ways to play the game with a controller,

One is with xpadder, which doesn't feel very smoother especially with aiming, on the plus side rumble is mapped to RT.

Then there's a Coalesced ini file available which offers partial controller support and changes menu layout like consoles, but no rumble..

Has anyone been able to find a perfect method of playing this with a controller...on pc?

Bioware didn't do gamepad for PC version for any of the ME games so there is no perfect method. Xpadder stuff is probably your best option. The game is really designed for M/KB. Its so much better that way. Give it a shot.

Games like that have no business being compatible with a controller if you ask me. Just my opinion ofc.

Edit: also be careful with the ini method because I read somewhere its easy to screw it up to the point where you will need to use both controller and mouse to finish dialogue portions when playing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Almost beat an encounter in Dragonfall and windows update reboots my system whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?!

One of the first things I do upon reinstalling Windows is set Windows Update to "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them". That you can only delay a post-update restart is ridiculous.

yeah, you're probably right

i mean to be fair to valve a lot of the features they add are actually pretty cool in theory, it's just that they often feel like they get forgotten or they just fail to achieve what was supposed to be unique in the first place

like, seriously, would twitch support be any different than the steam streaming thing? or is the new frontpage really so much different than before? will it be worth it to take forever with the steam boxes just so they can make their own weird controller (among other things)?

The problem is, that they dont really have a red thread now. It feels some teams start something, get bored and let it die.

I mean there are enough examples.
Steam Music is missing vital features that every musicplayer an IT student could develop would have.
The trading cards were actually just "alpha" and we were promised binders, new "seasons" of trading cards and such things.
The client itself still has bugs since years and still is missing a lot of features. I mean why cant we be invisible as a user? We will be shown to offline to other members we are chatting with if we chat in the "Valve invisible" mode and they always get the message that I am offline. And still some bugs. Why wont the Steamclient download the achievements as some kind of jpg?
The whole features in the BPM works in their browser.

I mean how come someone like jshackles has elemental features in enhanced steam that people would have wanted for years in Steam/steam-client itself. And I dont mean the features about price.

I don't think Demon's is skippable at all. It's... just wonderful. I wouldn't recommend skipping Dark, either of course.

I'd argue Demon's has some of the best environmental and enemy design -- I mean, the Mind Flayers in the prison / Tower of Latria are up there with the best monsters ever designed (in the same realm as old school Beholders for me). Dark Souls is no slouch in this department either, and I understand why going from Dark to Demon's would create issues (there are obviously some areas that owe much to Demon's Souls, so going backwards could feel like a step down due to improvements made in the second).

I think a lot of that comes down to which you play first though. I had the original on preorder for months and played it into the ground for a very long time, so I had to 'get used to' Dark.

Also, I think Demon's just marks some really important milestones in gaming history. First, the triumphant return of challenge to consoles... but also some of the game design ideas, such as the ability to communicate with others in the form of hints/messages on the ground, the ability to view the 'ghosts' of others dying to warn you of danger, the anonymous coop options for both helping (and killing) others. It truly brought a lot to the world of gaming, beyond fantastic combat and environments.

Demon's is still my favorite.

Deques

The problem is, that they dont really have a red thread now. It feels some teams start something, get bored and let it die.

Steam Music is missing vital features that every musicplayer an IT student could develop would have.
The trading cards were actually just "alpha" and we were promised binders, new "seasons" of trading cards and such things.
The client itself still has bugs since years and still is missing a lot of features. I mean why cant we be invisible as a user? We will be shown to offline to other members we are chatting with if we chat in the "Valve invisible" mode and they always get the message that I am offline. And still some bugs. Why wont the Steamclient download the achievements as some kind of jpg?

I mean how come someone like jshackles has elemental features in enhanced steam that people would have wanted for years in Steam/steam-client itself. And I dont mean the features about price.

You pretty much took what I wanted to say, probably better too :)
Steam is the best platform for digital gaming, but it also the worse platform when comes in usability

Gift spares in a an empty pop-up window is probably the oldest bug, that I can think of, that must be fixed

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Completed my first game for the 52 Games A Year challenge. I feel I might actually accomplish this.

Playing through Darksiders 1 on Steam though I did come across the issue of achievements being rather problematic, not unlocking due to Steam losing online connection or ever using Steam web browser for example. While I don't need nor care too much about achievements, I do enjoy trying for quite a few in different games for the challenge or interesting alterations to play style, and find it helpful when they show I have accomplished those tasks (as it's not always easy to tell on your own). So for that reason I thought it would be wise to know, are there any other games on Steam that suffer similar problems of achievements not unlocking?

zkylon

zkylewd

yeah it's confusing how these things happen. i mean isn't that whole office policy of no hierarchy and like moving desks and shit supposed to make people motivated?

it's so weird

Deques

Completed my first game for the 52 Games A Year challenge. I feel I might actually accomplish this.

Playing through Darksiders 1 on Steam though I did come across the issue of achievements being rather problematic, not unlocking due to Steam losing online connection or ever using Steam web browser for example. While I don't need nor care too much about achievements, I do enjoy trying for quite a few in different games for the challenge or interesting alterations to play style, and find it helpful when they show I have accomplished those tasks (as it's not always easy to tell on your own). So for that reason I thought it would be wise to know, are there any other games on Steam that suffer similar problems of achievements not unlocking?

Congrats on the first game. I have 3 games beaten already :D

The original Binding of Isaac has problems with achievement not unlocking.

Darksiders is a fun game, but it was a long time ago I played it, so I don't remember how it was.
The second game is kinda fun too. Too bad the game is difficult not because of monsters being hard to kill, but the camera is being pain in the butt. I play in the the hardest difficulty and the game is easy, when the environments are open and there is nothing that prevent you from moving/dodging. But if the area is filled with pillars and stuff, you will get hard to time to kill the monsters

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
the difference between Hexcells and Hexcells Plus can be nicely summed up by looking at my total play time for 100 %.

It took 2.3 hours to perfect Hexcells, while it took me 10.2 hours to perfect Hexcells Plus. The game has the same amount of levels.

Scared of Infinite.... :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom