• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woah woah easy there mon, let's not say things we regret later :V
KOEI Tecmo has been releasing PC games long before Steam, but what they need to get through their thick skulls is that their ports or releases need to be of a higher standard.
One Piece, Arslan and Dragon Quest are titles that deserve better presentation than their disappointing ports are.
I do agree though that more PC gaming sites need to call KOEI Tecmo out on this.

I think they wont do it, because K-T games are still more niché games. Why write a news about it, if only 10 people will care.

It is just kinda sad. I am sure the Neptunia Musou, while actually being worse as a Musou-game, will have a really great port while K-T , the masters of Musou-games, just puts out shitty ports. And the thing I can not understand is, why they do not fix their games. Like I said. The graphical options can be easily fixed (I guess) when a modder can write a tool that unlocks some of them...

Maniac

Banned
Maniac
(Today 08:45 AM)

Who is this fine gentleman? He sounds kinky. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
And thank god my antics haven't garnered a tag, it'd likely be something absolutely horrifying.
Cancer awareness is not a problem. The problem is how we pumped so much money into cancer research and there is still no cure. I suspect it could take another 20 years or so.

Well... A lot of money is lost along the way, to be quite fair. A lot of people are profiting hugely off of cancer, and there's a lot of lobbying for not changing the status quo. The main cancer-fund (or whatever you'd call it) here in Denmark sees very little of the money they receive in donations go towards actual research, even from some of the mega-fundraisers. Worst of all is how they take the cost of said fundraiser out of the actual funds that've been raised, which is... Kind of sickening.

So, I know Final Fantasy XIII-2 launched in a very poor state. What I want to know is if it improved. Does anyone here have any experience with the current build?
Is a locked 60Fps now possible?

Not last time I checked. I stopped playing in an area where it was particularly bad (18-20fps) and the last time I checked it was still the same.
This is with a R9 280X and an i72600k, at 1080p.
Messing with the settings does jack shit.

Fortunately Lightining Returns is mostly 60fps and actually looks nicer than I expected.

I don't even know where this Arslan comes from. Anime?
It's such a super niche title to be released on Steam. One Piece and Dragon Quest are way more popular.

Contents of the limited edition of Life is Strange

611X8kS.jpg

Think I'll pick up a copy. I'm mostly glad that they have a license to sell the soundtrack now which could possibly lead to an itunes release. Can't remember the last time I used a CD to listen to music (or even touched one for that matter).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I have no idea what this sentence means but it shows among the top 10 in my steam top sellers page in my region.

I mean that the list varies country to country, although the top 10 in particular are generally consistent.

septicore

I don't even know where this Arslan comes from. Anime?
It's such a super niche title to be released on Steam. One Piece and Dragon Quest are way more popular.

It comes from Hiromu Arakawa's adaptation of The Heroic Legend of Arslan story which became an anime last year. There's a 2nd season of it to air sometime this year.

You might know Hiromu Arakawa from her work as the author of Full Metal Alchemist.

Tizoc

I think they wont do it, because K-T games are still more niché games. Why write a news about it, if only 10 people will care.

It is just kinda sad. I am sure the Neptunia Musou, while actually being worse as a Musou-game, will have a really great port while K-T , the masters of Musou-games, just puts out shitty ports. And the thing I can not understand is, why they do not fix their games. Like I said. The graphical options can be easily fixed (I guess) when a modder can write a tool that unlocks some of them...

Yeah no.
Niche is not an excuse.
Nep Nep is niche yet the series is doing really well for IFI on Steam.

Go take a look at Tales of Zestiria:
Bamco showcased the PC ver. which helped its sales during the past year, and now it reached 100,000 owners, and a 60 FPS patch was made for it. The latter would surely entice more Steam users to consider getting the game.

A good port will go a long way with that pub or dev's reputation on Steam, regardless of whether they are niche or not.

Pachimari

Finally a Vietnam shooter. Hopefully it's good too!

So they really did listen!

I'm sure it's great, but the perfect gaming controller for PC is $100 cheaper.

I actually prefer the Elite controller to the Steam controller so far. But I suspect it comes down to me being used to the design of the Elite. Though, I do also love the Steam controller but have found it a little uncomfortable to aim with in games like New Vegas - hopefully I'm just doing it wrong.

I really love the freedom the controller gives you. It feels great playing a game like System Shock 2 with proper controller support.
Never thought of using it for System Shock 2 though. I should try that out.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Not last time I checked. I stopped playing in an area where it was particularly bad (18-20fps) and the last time I checked it was still the same.
This is with a R9 280X and an i72600k, at 1080p.
Messing with the settings does jack shit.

Fortunately Lightining Returns is mostly 60fps and actually looks nicer than I expected.
*sigh*
I'll stick with my PS3 copy then.
Thanks! :)

It comes from Hiromu Arakawa's adaptation of The Heroic Legend of Arslan story which became an anime last year. There's a 2nd season of it to air sometime this year.

You might know Hiromu Arakawa from her work as the author of Full Metal Alchemist.

I see..
Yes, I recognize the main character's design. He resembles Edward in a way. Still, it's a super niche anime if I've never heard about it. Even though I'm not that actively watch anime anymore nowadays, I still have lots of anime posts from my friends on my social media feeds.

Haunted

Contents of the limited edition of Life is Strange

Think I'll pick up a copy. I'm mostly glad that they have a license to sell the soundtrack now which could possibly lead to an itunes release. Can't remember the last time I used a CD to listen to music (or even touched one for that matter).
The artbook being styled after Max' notebook in the game is a very nice touch.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

12 Labours of Hercules -- MB-CFC3AAB1EB2700BE - Taken by gurm3n

No idea if this works, so sorry if it doesn't. Just trying to clean up my spare keys list and this was on there.

There's also a key for Vanguard Princess available from yesterday, though again, not sure if it works.

Code:
Vanguard Princess -- [s]MB-0DFDAEB5BB37A9C5[/s] - Taken by [i]Henry Swanson[/i]

I enjoyed him in pretty much everything I saw him. Cancer, what a scourge of humanity. Disheartening to think that with more money put into research so many lives could be saved. Like a friend of mine said very well, it's really not enough to think about cancer research only once it hits you personally.
That's... interesting. I was of the belief it was already confirmed o_O
On this Evening, we sustained multiple losses

The invader, changed their tactics, engaging in a full on terror attack in Suez, Egypt. Our XCOM Unit was sent in to deal with the invaders, a squad led by Aleksandr "Mighty" Bosstones.

the Mission was simple enough. Protect the civilians and usher them to safety. We first encountered some floaters. tricky ones to hit, but our soldier did their best, but not without issue. a fresh recruit, Kate Cooper, fumbled at the trigger and was subsequently killed by a Floater. This poor girl had so much hope in her eye.

Soon after we rought vengeance upon the Floaters, something new arrived. it was like nothing we had seen before, like a giant insect. a group of 4 of these creatures skittered in, and tore apart two civilians in front of our eyes. we dispatched them, as quickly as we could, but soon after the bodies of those they gored stood up and went on the offensive. They were quickly dealt with.

It seems we were in the clear after that, but there were still so many people to go and save. The Squad push foreward, going to civilian after civlian.

Fresco Vegetablés
had a very keen eye, and beyond the civilian he was heading to, there he saw it floating in the sky. One last floater. he rush towards the defenless woman to make sure she could escape, but such hopes and dreams were not in his future. He made sure to cover the woman's exit as best he could, and caught a Plasma blast in the back. His loss is a great one to the squad, as he was a great asset to us, and a fine man.

Fresco's actions and deeds until the very end would have made Pamela proud, but at least now they can be together again in Heaven.
Haha, awesome!

I regret nothing. Honored to have fallen this way o7
Really great progress. These devs are doing EA very well.

The Top Sellers list is region-specific.
That can't be right. There's no way Dariusburst CS would climb to the top 5 today in any other region but Japan, alone on a mere 20% off discount if that was the case. It's obvious the influx of new Japanese players that is the cause. It both has a reached a higher spot on the Top Sellers list than during it's western launch, and the number of players all time peaked today as well. And seeing that only Japanese users are broadcasting the game on Steam currently, I'd say the majority of those are also in Japan.

Alright, my birthday is tomorrow (14th) so I might as well toss this up since I already shot my 'big' giveaway after Christmas. Imagine there's a few people who wanted this but don't have it. Key should work fine, I got it when it was still free from the website.

24 hour raffle simply so more people who might want it can see and enter.
Happy birthday pahamrick!

giphy.gif

The first version of Subnautica already looked awesome, but it just keeps getting better and better with every update. The developers are apparently also working on controller support, which is nice. I got it mostly working last time I played Subnautica, but it wasn't a smooth experience, and this is definitely the kind of game where I want to be able to lean back, and enjoy the atmosphere.

Eila

Born 2 Race 2 Bundle
  • BlazeRush
  • rFactor
  • Death Rally (Classic)
  • StuntMANIA Reloaded
  • Jet Racing Extreme
  • Riptide GP2
  • Super Toy Cars
  • Wacky Wheels
  • RC Mini Racers
  • inMomentum

$1.49 for 10 rebundled games. Not a bad deal, but the only one I don't own is Riptide GP2 :p

Vlad

How come that other guy can't get up out of his seat and applaud ending cancer?

Is cancer now political?

Because he's a Republican, and while ending cancer is a good thing, Obama said it, so Ryan would have gotten absolutely trashed if he applauded at any point in the evening.

Look at Chris Christie for example. He's still getting flak over doing something as abhorrent as shaking Obama's hand after Sandy.

Teggy

Oops wrong thread. Wait no right thread. I looked at the post above me and thought I was in poligaf.

I was listening to Giantbomb deliberate best new IP and a whole bunch of guys spoke up for Life is Strange, but not one of them had played past episode 3.

Messiah

I had to laugh while listening to Giantbomb deliberations for best new IP when a whole bunch spoke up for Life is Strange but not one had played past episode 3. Wtf.

They played it on the website but didn't manage to beat it in time. They liked the first 3 episodes very much though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That can't be right. There's no way Dariusburst CS would climb to the top 5 today in any other region but Japan, alone on a mere 20% off discount if that was the case. It's obvious the influx of new Japanese players that is the cause. It both has a reached a higher spot on the Top Sellers list than during it's western launch, and the number of players all time peaked today as well. And seeing that only Japanese users are broadcasting the game on Steam currently, I'd say the majority of those are also in Japan.

US:
top10us3eygy.jpg

Russia:
top10rujozuo.jpg

Parsnip

2016 Blows.

RIP Hans Gruber.

I hope you're taking this ok, Parsnip.

I don't tweet much and so today I realized that last 3 of my tweets have been about people dying. Lemmy, Bowie and now Rickman. What a depressing combo.

I need a combo breaker that I can tweet about, someone give me some good news.

Thinking of picking up a Steam Controller today. There's no reason to not buy one, right?

It depends. While I really enjoy mine, and haven't touched my 360 controller since I got the Steam Controller, it is certainly not a plug-and-play experience. The underlying software is still changing a lot (with occasional big issues), and the availability and quality of control schemes varies a lot from game to game. I've also found that I typically need to spend some time configuring the controller for each game, before I am happy with how it feels, even if a decent control scheme is available. So if you can live with that, then I say pick it up now, otherwise it might be worth to wait a bit for it to mature further before doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom