• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maniac

Banned

That's cool to hear, considering they were on the verge of bankruptcy around the time of their KS.

Go space games! :>
That's like asking for a ban.

That's what I find to be obnoxious about GAF; you can't really have a civil, rational discussion or thread about PC gaming on the frontpage. It turns into a shit-show really fast.

Doesn't help that several moderators have an irrational hatred and / or fear of PC gaming :p

Cancers a real bitch. In one month and two days (16/02/2016) it'll be the one-year anniversary of my grandmas death.

Fuck cancer. Fuck it in its ass. And if god exists, screw him in his spiteful lil' bunghole too.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
If there's any constellation between all of these recent deaths of big names dying of cancer, I suspect there will be/is a surge of people donating and working on finding the cure to cancer. Awareness and public concern I imagine might be reaching some highs with so many big names dying to cancer around the same time, and might be a drive to help focus more on trying to cure it.

Especially with the frighting news last month that a form of cancer has evolved enough in Tasmanian Devils to become contagious. If Cancer because contagious in humans, and if it happens before we cure it, then fuck us as a species.

Grief.exe

i kinda feel like playing lords of the fallen

i need something i can finish before xcom2 but i also want something that last me a few days

i also don't really feel like playing much of anything i have

hmm

You might as well make that game Dragon's Dogma at this point and join the hype train.

If there's any constellation between all of these recent deaths of big names dying of cancer, I suspect there will be/is a surge of people donating and working on finding the cure to cancer. Awareness and public concern I imagine might be reaching some highs with so many big names dying to cancer around the same time, and might be a drive to help focus more on trying to cure it.

Especially with the frighting news last month that a form of cancer has evolved enough in Tasmanian Devils to become contagious. If Cancer because contagious in humans, and if it happens before we cure it, then fuck us as a species.

For what it's worth, Obama just pledged to pump additional cancer funding money into Cancer research the other day during the State of the Union.

biden-clap.w529.h352.gif

If there's any constellation between all of these recent deaths of big names dying of cancer, I suspect there will be/is a surge of people donating and working on finding the cure to cancer. Awareness and public concern I imagine might be reaching some highs with so many big names dying to cancer, and might be a drive to help focus more on trying to cure it.

I agree cancer sucks, that being said I think your contagious cancer fear is slightly overblown. Cancer in which a transmissible clone of a cancerous cell manages to evolve into full blown cancer in another host is super rare. I think there's like 3 types of cancer identified in animals that behave like that at best.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I agree cancer sucks, that being said I think your contagious cancer fear is slightly overblown. Cancer in which a transmissible clone of a cancerous cell manages to evolve into full blown cancer in another host is super rare. I think there's like 3 types of cancer identified in animals that behave like that at best.

It is and isn't overblown. We're not going to wake up one day and it spreading like the common cold, but bacteria, diseases, and the like do evolve over time. The 'contagious' cancer is shared through bodily functions, Ie saliva, sexual intercourse, etc., but it's only been found in three different types of animals so far, most recently it evolved in Tasmanian Devils, in which is two kinds of cancer that can spread exist now.

It's super rare now, and that isn't going to change overnight, but also a bit alarming, since if contagious cancer can adapt to different kinds of animals (clams are one of the three animals found to have it, and the other two including Tasmanian Devils are mammals, the other one being types of dogs), and the mere fact it can become a thing, get to that point, does mean that the possibility of a type of cancer adapting abilities to do this in humans is not out of the question. Cancer that transfers between species (or diseases in general) are extremely rare, I think more the fear is if a type of cancer that afflicts us wisens up to the point to become contagious, not that we'd catch it from Tasmanian Devils.

But like anything evolving, it takes time, and this occurrence, as said, is incredibly rare in nature. In general we need to cure cancer because, well, it's not that uncommon as is and cancer is a bitch. But, hypothetically, if cancer were to become contagious before we cure it, it'd be quite disastrous. The one found in dogs that's spread sexually is one thing, having sex or not is a controlled variable. The fearful thing is the recent one that has bloomed in Tasmanian Devils that can spread through saliva and such things.

But there's no set thing to say it will happen to humans, as to the, "if it does," part of my message, but it's scary to think about, but currently there is no threat in it to humans. I think the scary part of the news isn't that it's something that will happen to humans soon, but if forms of cancers and tumors can become contagious in other animals, then the possibility exists something like this could develop in human diseases at some point in the future. That's not to say that it will happen, but since it's something that's naturally occurred in other species, even though at this time incredibly rare, does show that it can happen.

You might as well make that game Dragon's Dogma at this point and join the hype train.

For what it's worth, Obama just pledged to pump additional cancer funding money into Cancer research the other day during the State of the Union.

biden-clap.w529.h352.gif

Which is good, and I feel more people may take action on it too. My mother is a cancer survivor, but yes, cancer is a bitch.

So I need some help finding some good beatemup's for P.C. I've played the crap out of Castle Crashers, so that's off the list. Was looking at the Double Dragon trilogy, but it's got some real negative reviews on steam. And yes I've played and beaten Double Dragon Neon so that's a no go as well.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Looks like the reaper appreciates good and talented company.
Fuck cancer. :(

Ban Puncher

biden-clap.w529.h352.gif

How come that other guy can't get up out of his seat and applaud ending cancer?

Is cancer now political?

Will Trump run on the Pro-Cancer ticket?

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I just vaguely remembered that game's strange pawn system.
Looking at how many people in my friendslist already own the game, that could get interesting.
Hmmm...

Tempting.

The public is already hyper-aware of cancer, which is why donations to cancer related charities significantly outstrip diseases that are responsible for many, many more deaths. See for example this article from 2014.

So, if anything, we need to shift some awareness away from cancer.

So I uninstalled the witcher 3 a while back after beating it. Sorta want to get back into it to try the dlc but I had a bunch of different save files and would like to roll back to one to get a better ending lol. Does steam cloud save all save files you created?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Guys, Rise of the Tomb Raider on the ubisoft store is giving a copy of Farcry 4. The store page says that you need to activate the game on Steam. My question is, will it need uPlay as well? The page says nothing about it.

Every internally-developed Ubisoft game since AssCreed 2 uses Uplay, with the exception of Rayman Origins and Grow Home.

So I uninstalled the witcher 3 a while back after beating it. Sorta want to get back into it to try the dlc but I had a bunch of different save files and would like to roll back to one to get a better ending lol. Does steam cloud save all save files you created?
Only the latest autosave and quicksave.

Cancer awareness is not a problem. The problem is how we pumped so much money into cancer research and there is still no cure. I suspect it could take another 20 years or so.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yes, but what I want to know is specifically if tomb raider will be Steam only of if it will also require uPlay.

Tomb Raider is purely Steam. Uplay isn't for third parties with the exception of developers that Ubi teams up with as publisher, but even then, unlike EA, Ubi lets the developer choose and the vast majority of the time they go with Steam.

Maxwood

So, I know Final Fantasy XIII-2 launched in a very poor state. What I want to know is if it improved. Does anyone here have any experience with the current build?
Is a locked 60Fps now possible?

There are also 100s of different cancers and I am guessing its not a 1 cure solution.

This is something that really important to keep in mind; asking for a "cure for cancer" is akin to asking for a "cure for disease". It's probably not going to happen, but instead there will be an increasing number of treatments available to match the various types of cancers. Also research into cancer does not only focus on developing cures, but also on (early) detection, and prevention of the disease in the first place.

That sucks but luckily looks like uninstalling didn't delete my saves (hopefully) Reinstalling and hoping that is the case.

To my knowledge, Steam Cloud includes all your saves (it just synchronizes whatever save game folder the developers specify), but only retains the latest version of files. So your old saves should be there, provided that you did not intentionally overwrite them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom