• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

The game is very much worth even the full asking price of 9.99!:D Doesn't humble store have it with the monthly discount?

Nah, the game is only present on Steam.

The website of the dev, as per the Steam store, is a Facebook page.

Edit: Their Twitter account is not used anymore. There is a normal website, not advertised on the Steam store: http://www.ludomotion.com/

It is a Dutch studio:
zKbGzxs.png

Their next game is a card game!

I used to always carry a shovel but never really found somewhere to use it. I love how the game is random with how stuff works sometimes, or more that I sometimes get stuff to work without knowing why and the next time I fail. Like those blue doors, even if I know the key I fail and don't know why.

Also I have to echo your earlier sentiment, the game is a real FUCK YOU sometimes.XD I got an amry of those square gello thingies that shoot that ray that makes you drop your weapons, that togther with chasms and weapons disappearing one can't help but to just laugh in disbelief.

The puzzle doors may be more complicated than they first appear. e.g.:
  • the key is statue placed on one of four pedestals outside the blue door. (a note will mention its existence in passing)
  • The key has as many edges as jade statues in the treasure room. (a note will mention this specifically)
  • The correct pedestal is marked when the room is filled with mist. (a note will hint towards this in passing, or alternately a deity will tell you at the start of the floor.)
The catch is, these hints may not all be found on the same floor.

They're involved enough to feel like genuine puzzles, for the most part. And again, they're random (and rare) enough to feel fresh every time.

Kadin

How long till your CPU is not supported by Windows 10?

that's one way to get people to upgrade despite meager CPU gains for the past 5 years
This scares me. I convinced my mom to upgrade to Windows 10 on her 8.1 machine and I think she might have one of these processors. It was nice to see Acer saying they're working with Msft to get this addressed but then to see that nothing has happened since, just makes me worry again. She would have had security updates through 2023 but now it's possible she might lose updates going forward. I'm scared to call her and see if she's seen this notification yet although she prob would have called me by now.

Either way, this sucks regardless for people who would have had support staying on the prior version and will now lose it via W10.

haendeul

The Realtek chip on my motherboard stopped being supported by Windows 10 with the Creator's update, so now the only way I get sound is through HDMI when I use the TV, or hilariously by USB routed through my PS4-controller.

Popstar

I am not sure win7 have dx11 ?
Yes. It even got added with the Platform Update to Windows Vista, which backported several Windows 7 features. It was partially updated to 11.1 with the Platform Update for Windows 7 which backported Windows 8 features to Windows 7.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
Key.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Arkkoran, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hyper Light Drifter -- MB-A8CBAE9870A103CC - Taken by Dr.Acula. 36 entrants total.

t1500338444z1.png

Ladekabel

What are some good RPGs with online-coop on Steam? A buddy and I are finishing Divinity: OS soon and looking for something to follow up on it. We plan on playing Victor Vran next and Divinity OS2 will be picked up later down the line.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
What are some good RPGs with online-coop on Steam? A buddy and I are finishing Divinity: OS soon and looking for something to follow up on it. We plan on playing Victor Vran next and Divinity OS2 will be picked up later down the line.

Grim Dawn is a fun ARPG similar to that of Diablo, and made by the creators of Titans Quest, which is also coop.

If you don't mind older games, Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale can be played cooperatively.

Ladekabel

Grim Dawn is a fun ARPG similar to that of Diablo, and made by the creators of Titans Quest, which is also coop.

If you don't mind older games, Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale can be played cooperatively.

Thanks. We planned on playing Titan Quest, I just forgot. ^^ Grim Dawn I own on Steam, he on GOG and it doesn't support crossplay afaik. We will look in BG, ID and others.

yuraya

It looks like that Christopher Nolan did it again with Dunkirk. Man i would really like to see him work on video game together with Hanz Zimmer of course. Just imagine set pieces directed by Nolan.

Nolan + Zimmer combo is goat. I listened to Supermarine song from Dunkirk soundtrack on Spotify and oh fuck it so good. Can't wait to see the movie.

Ventara

Does anyone wanna split the Dharker Studio 2 Bundle with me? It's currently on Happy Hour, so basically I can get 2 gift bundles for the price of one. At it's current $6 price, we each pay $3. It has a bunch of anime cards if you like those.

zkylon

zkylewd
You should definitely switch between guns and sword, and also make sure to always keep your Burst Level up. Guns do a lot of damage and using all your options makes fights quite a bit shorter.
I was running a Buster Sword/Sniper combi for basically the entire game, which only slightly modified Sniper bullets, but even those were pretty effective already. Basically I put a short-range extra shot on impact, which I think gave me 50% more damage for 20% higher costs, or something like that.
My combat loop was basically: start with devouring, unload all my OP on the enemy, close in for melee damage while waiting for the OP to recover, devour when necessary so that I never leave Burst mode, unload all my OP on the enemy when they're recovered, etc.
yeah i'll look into it

guns just don't feel fun in that game

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks. We planned on playing Titan Quest, I just forgot. ^^ Grim Dawn I own on Steam, he on GOG and it doesn't support crossplay afaik. We will look in BG, ID and others.

Grim Dawn might still be possible, but I imagine you might have to use a virtual LAN program like Tunngle or so.

Ventara

1.46$ (although you'd have to see if he's willing to start a third group buy)
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/groupbuys/discussions/0/1368380934265870813/

Whoah, didn't know about this. Will join the group. Thanks for the info!

I could also go in. Or is it only 2?

Are either of you still interested knowing the above? It's only 2 gift bundles, so if Lain is interested, sorry Chairmanchuck.

Backlogger

I am really enjoying Grim Dawn and have actually been playing it with a Steam Controller

Van Helsing is also quite good and like you mentioned Titan Quest.

Only other one I can think of is Torchlight 2. Been a while since I played that one but I liked it

Victor Vran is fun but something about it doesn't feel like a traditional hack and slash loot like the others.

Coreda

There's some indie dev drama happening on Steam.
The TLDR version is this;

- Developer uploads a build of his game which has a Patreon link in it. Having links to external "stores" is against the Valve TOS so they reject it.

Is there a particular distinction between this and say that GAF'er putting a link to a donation site in their game? Was it in the main menu or something?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is there a particular distinction between this and say that GAF'er putting a link to a donation site in their game? Was it in the main menu or something?

I believe because the Patreon gives you keys for his other games, which are sold on Steam. So if you buy Game X, you go to Patreon, you can get all his other games without giving Steam their cut.

Lain

Whoah, didn't know about this. Will join the group. Thanks for the info!

Are either of you still interested knowing the above? It's only 2 gift bundles, so if Lain is interested, sorry Chairmanchuck.

I'm still interested but it's 2am and at night my cc can give me problems so I can bow out in favor of Chuck. If it's fine to do it tomorrow, then sure consider me still interested. If you'll try to get into the group buy on Steam then as before I'll bow out no problem.

Ventara

I'm still interested but it's 2am and at night my cc can give me problems so I can bow out in favor of Chuck. If it's fine to do it tomorrow, then sure consider me still interested. If you'll try to get into the group buy on Steam then as before I'll bow out no problem.

Alright, I'll PM you tomorrow morning (or I guess afternoon for you) to confirm before I buy it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
No one uses Steam Broadcasts. Valve should sunset the feature and show whoever is active on Twitch with the game. If they want to adapt their side of the streaming code to output to Twitch, that's fine, but if not people will use an external app. But the browse page should simply show the game in question on Twitch.

jtb

Banned
The Mafia games are always repetitive, half-baked snoozefests. But since they take like 5 years to make, it's just enough time for the sequel to feel fresh again.

Plesiades

No one uses Steam Broadcasts. Valve should sunset the feature and show whoever is active on Twitch with the game. If they want to adapt their side of the streaming code to output to Twitch, that's fine, but if not people will use an external app. But the browse page should simply show the game in question on Twitch.

I feel that this feature was a by-product of them developing streaming tech for The International.

Since we have a lot of games that only feature local co-op, maybe they can turn it into Share Play. That would be really cool.

The Mafia games are always repetitive, half-baked snoozefests. But since they take like 5 years to make, it's just enough time for the sequel to feel fresh again.

Mafia 3 came very close to being a great game. The developers absolutely nailed the art, the music, the atmosphere, the driving and the combat. Even the story was decent. New Bordeaux was a gorgeous city to explore. Their one mistake was that their mission design and structure was far too repetitive and it turned out to be a fatal flaw that overshadows everything else they did so well.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm impressed how much side-content that you can easily miss in Prey 2017. I'm regretting now that i didn't bought it earlier, amazing game. My only complain now is performance, it's much better than Dishonored 2 and I'm mostly getting stable 60 FPS, but sometimes performance suddenly goes down and FPS noticeably drops.

A couple of areas are a little buggy and overload the renderer with draw calls. The only solution is to save and quit, but obviously this isn't a permanent fix and it's only a matter of time before the renderer starts grinding to a halt again.

Edit: Also, screen-space reflections can be demanding. The performance hit (full versus off) on Maxwell cards (9xx) is about 30% and, based on my admittedly tiny amount of testing, about 20% on Pascal cards (10xx).

One time someone requested to watch me play a game and I was so uncomfortable as I didn't even know it was a feature that I quit the game and didn't launch steam again for a day or two.

One time someone requested to watch me play a game and I was so uncomfortable as I didn't even know it was a feature that I quit the game and didn't launch steam again for a day or two.

A few people have done that to me as well, I pressed ok or whatever the button was but I had no idea if I was even broadcasting or if it was even working at all! There didn't seem to be an indication of it functioning.

The biggest broadcast at the moment has 15 viewers, Dead by Daylight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom