• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Machine unboxing

GravyButt

Pretty sweet, but I really wouldnt have a use since I already own a gaming rig. Still will be a great product for some though.

Grief.exe

Core platform mandates DRM (seems that way) with a 'sharing plan' to soften the blow
Looks a bit like a vcr ;-)

I absolutely get that you can dual boot these to avoid drm, drm is less then every 24h, etc. - but to my simple mind they are at least on the same spectrum yet it's fair to say the response to each has been at opposite ends of the spectrum.

What DRM are you referring to? The Steam client has an offline mode that operates indefinitely if you so desire.

Blizzard

Banned
More interested in the Gabepad than anything else.
I'm also interested in impressions of this. It seemed like it worked okay for Don't Starve.

What DRM are you referring to? The Steam client has an offline mode that operates indefinitely if you so desire.
Can you buy and download new games while staying in permanent offline mode? I didn't think it allowed that since I would think the same mechanism used to update games is used to download them.

samn

Personally I am fascinated in the reception for this vs. the original vision for the Xbox.

Higher price tag than ps4? (almost definitely significantly higher)
Core platform mandates DRM (seems that way) with a 'sharing plan' to soften the blow

I absolutely get that you can dual boot these to avoid drm, drm is less then every 24h, etc. - but to my simple mind they are at least on the same spectrum yet it's fair to say the response to each has been at opposite ends of the spectrum.

I'm really interested to see where this goes. I am disappointed by the power of both Xbox One and PS4 yet also wary of buying into an ecosystem (pc/steam machine) that has an implicit update cycle of only a small handful of years.

I also think it'll be an interesting disruptive technology to kick Windows up the backside... Let's see how MS react - with a viable non-console gaming OS emerging, it's definitely a threat.

Usual disclaimer: writing from personal perspective not employer's. Views may be unintentionally biased etc.

Game developers can choose not to incorporate Steam DRM, and the offline mode requires no check-in whatsoever.

Can you buy and download new games while staying in permanent offline mode? I didn't think it allowed that since I would think the same mechanism used to update games is used to download them.

No, but why would you want to?

Momentary

Banned
Personally I am fascinated in the reception for this vs. the original vision for the Xbox.

I'm really interested to see where this goes. I am disappointed by the power of both Xbox One and PS4 yet also wary of buying into an ecosystem (pc/steam machine) that has an implicit update cycle of only a small handful of years.

I also think it'll be an interesting disruptive technology to kick Windows up the backside... Let's see how MS react - with a viable non-console gaming OS emerging, it's definitely a threat.

Usual disclaimer: writing from personal perspective not employer's. Views may be unintentionally biased etc.

What are you talking about?

Grief.exe

How do you propose going online, buying games, downloading them, all while staying offline? Seems like an impossibility to me.

TheD

The Detective

Well,
Steam has no requirement to check in with their system unless it is technically required (like when buying or activating a game) and thus it is possible to pull it offline for any amount of time and still be able to play most games (unlike the old XB1 setup that needed you to check in every 24 hours).
You also do not need to dual boot a Steam Machine to have games that do not use Steam's DRM, you can go into the desktop mode and run non Steam games (as long the game has a Linux version or support under WINE).

Well,
Steam has no requirement to check in with their system unless it is technically required (like when buying or activating a game) and thus it is possible to pull it offline for any amount of time and still be able to play most games (unlike the old XB1 setup that needed you to check in every 24 hours).
You also do not need to dual boot a Steam Machine to have games that do not use Steam's DRM, you can go into the desktop mode and run non Steam games (as long the game has a Linux version or support under WINE).

Along with the fact that Steam DRM is less draconian than what MS was purposing, Valve has a proven track record of providing real benefits with their digital download service, with fair pricing and functionality you pay extra for on consoles, making users more willing to deal with the trade offs. Microsoft does not have a similar track record and the fact that they would still have been beholden to retail, it was hard to imagine a sudden shift in that direction. They also have shown a willingness to drop services they no longer feel fit in their current strategy. Valve is expanding a proven service. MS was asking us to forget the past and trust them completely with their new platform.

wizzbang

Banned
you must have a defective ps4 because i have 80+ hours on mine and play KZ and it never gets loud. It's not silent but its in no way shape or form "intense" or loud enough to be a problem in the slightest.

I'm convinced you people have a different definition of loud or you're living in some arctic environment.
I've already spoken to several others about this and read enough posts online, I'm pretty confident this is Sony fans unwilling to concede anything could be bad with the console at all.

Killzone most definitely drives PS4 fan noise up to PS3 slim stage 2 of 3 levels, I haven't heard it as loud as 3/3 but it's not far from it.
This "you must have a faulty PS4" stuff is cobblers.

EDIT: it's about 72f in Melbourne, inside my apartment now as summer is about to start,... it's not even close to proper warm yet. I've already ordered 2 silent, external fans to try to keep the thing quieter. Why the fuck they couldn't build it 10% bigger and focus on noise is beyond me, I get it's stylish but it's almost arguably too small.

Dolor

All that power is nice but aren't there some big titles that aren't on steam?

Yep, like LoL and WoW, but I'll just play those on my PS4... oh wait.

I still think that controller looks dumb ass hell.

If you asked any non-gamer walking down the street to describe an X360 controller, "dumb as hell" may not be that uncommon...

All controllers look objectively wierd, but we grow accustomed to them.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Wow at the 300 holes being notches for each user. I assume the white circle indicates which user you are. I wonder where 1 starts and whether they count horizontally or vertically. I'd love to see whoever got number 1.

Really wish I got into this program. So lucky. Plus they get to keep it? That's pretty cool. It looks pretty powerful already.

Can Windows still be installed onto these prototypes? This reminds me of the Google Cr-48 program. I still have my Cr-48 ChromeBook. I don't use it though. If I had a Steam Machine, I'd sure as hell get some use out of it.

Personally I can't wait for CES and the official release of all the upcoming models and configurations. (Hopefully some of them will have an optional Windows dual-boot inclusion so I don't have to worry about installing it myself.)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
That wasnt my point. It was actually the other. Wouldn't it be better to just build a PC and have steam, origin, amazon and whatever else? Steam only seems kinda restrictive.

This is a PC. You can install Windows on it and use it like normal a normal PC if you want. This is Valve's attempt at a "console" box running on an open source OS.

edit: controller overview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyaZHFyoLlg

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I see more as Valves attempt at standardizing PC gaming specifications to make it easier for people who just want a gaming PC without having to figure out what parts to buy and assembling it themselves.

I cannot wait personally.

nded

That wasnt my point. It was actually the other. Wouldn't it be better to just build a PC and have steam, origin, amazon and whatever else? Steam only seems kinda restrictive.

You could install Windows on these if you so choose. We also can't say for sure that SteamOS will necessarily lock out other storefronts.

Orayn

You could install Windows on these if you so choose. We also can't say for sure that SteamOS will necessarily lock out other storefronts.

It doesn't, if you enable the desktop you can use it like any other Linux machine. That includes installing Linux versions of games not published on Steam. (DRM-free, hypothetical Origin client, whatever)

nded

It doesn't, if you enable the desktop you can use it like any other Linux machine. That includes installing Linux versions of games not published on Steam. (DRM-free, hypothetical Origin client, whatever)

Nice! Think someone will try to get the windows Steam client running under Wine?

Cutebrute

The Portal and MetroLL videos were interesting. Metro looked great on his Steam Machine and these videos are the greatest demonstrations of the controller yet IMO.

Can't believe they managed to fit a freaking GTX TITAN in there. It takes up 1/3 of the entire box. JESUS.

What is Titan on paper.. twice the CUDA cores of the GPU in Xbox One?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This guy has it hooked up to his TV. Looks a lot better imo.
That guy's cat loves being on camera.
I love that up until today, the only videos he had were of his cat from 2 years ago.

No one seems to have tested it out with an Xbox 360 controller. I wonder if the button icons will change to the colored Xbox buttons if you have one plugged in. I hope so. I mean, I don't really know if I'd like the Steam Controller. I do not like touch pads for directional controls. If I wanted to use touch pads, I'd play DOOM on my iPad/iPhone more often than almost never.

Though I'll probably be looking into a keyboard/trackpad combo (No. No mouse. No mouse. Cannot use a mouse for FPS. No mouse.) or probably just sync my Apple keyboard and trackpad to it for FPS games.

Randdalf

Can't believe they managed to fit a freaking GTX TITAN in there. It takes up 1/3 of the entire box. JESUS.

It's better to talk of GPUs in term of processing elements (plus CUDA is an Nvidia specific term, Xbox technically has none because it's an AMD GPU), since that's how many instances of the same kernel it can run simultaneously.

Haines

Banned
Its really had for me to get excited about this thing seeing as Im typing on my PC thats right beside my TV in the living room that has a WiiU, XBONE, and one day a PS4....

I love you Valve, and I think your on to something big...but its going to be a while before you get there...

nded

Uh, thats worked since back in earlier Counter-Strike days.

Oh, I didn't know SteamOS was around for 1.6.

But yeah, I know it works; I was just playing Fallout: NV on Ubuntu an hour ago. I just think it would be neat to show to people that SteamOS isn't necessarily limited to Linux native games.

fallagin

Titan could run circles around xbone and ps4 multiple times, and tech is only going to get better and better.

Afrikan

Sony better have their VR thing ready soon...because I would think SteamBox + Oculus Rift looks damn tempting for Console gamers who want that experience but don't want to go through the whole building/maintaining your PC thing.

I might have to go PS4 & SteamBox this gen.

Mods for MultiPlat games to support Oculus Rift will definitely be the reason I finally make the purchase.

Blizzard

Banned
How do you propose going online, buying games, downloading them, all while staying offline? Seems like an impossibility to me.
That's what I thought -- so why did you propose this?

The offline mode does you no good if you ever go online again, since whatever evil fate someone might think could happen DRM-wise will just happen then. :p

Top Bottom