• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I thought the "yikes" was because of the obvious dark souls "inspired" UI

You'll see it more as a Bloodborne inspired game when you actually play it. You get a gun and the sword and basically you upgrade them for more bullets or more damage for the sword. The game also uses upgrade system for health, stamina, amount of healing items you can carry and the effectiveness of that. There is also the NPCs around the world to find that they will sell you items that are used for the upgrades. The game is pretty much one of those Dark Souls / Bloodborne inspired games and its shameless even in some animations.

Oh right and the bosses so far have been cool.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You'll see it more as a Bloodborne inspired game when you actually play it. You get a gun and the sword and basically you upgrade them for more bullets or more damage for the sword. The game also uses upgrade system for health, stamina, amount of healing items you can carry and the effectiveness of that. There is also the NPCs around the world to find that they will sell you items that are used for the upgrades. The game is pretty much one of those Dark Souls / Bloodborne inspired games and its shameless even in some animations.

Oh right and the bosses so far have been cool.

I assume this is a early access joint?

FLD

I'm sure Cold Steel 1 will be out before August.

Oh? Should a mod add "XSEED insider" to your already comically long tag? :p

An early July release would be pretty sweet, though. Gives the 3rd a couple months to breathe while not being too far off.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I assume this is a early access joint?

Nope. Its fully fleshed out but it could be more polished. There is also the issue that if you kill an enemy near the doors and you wanna get their souls you will never get it cause you will be moved to the next room. Its nitpicking but it is a flaw.

I forgot to mention that a highlight of the game is that some rooms change enemies which makes the encounters more entertaining. The game has good ideas, solid gameplay, nice atmosphere but there is a few questionable things about the design. Oh and the game has 4 endings depending on if you kill or forgive the boss fights in the game. 2 good and 2 bad endings basically. I wish the game had an extra layer of polish cause anyone looking at it wont pay much attention for the inconsistent art and how blah the UI is which is what everything will look at in the Steam Store.

jediyoshi

My review of Golf for Workgroups

CfhaZih.png

Bullshit. 3.5/5

Oh? Should a mod add "XSEED insider" to your already comically long tag? :p

An early July release would be pretty sweet, though. Gives the 3rd a couple months to breathe while not being too far off.

I have a conspiracy theory that after seeing Durante do a bang-up job of fixing up Little King's Story, they convinced Falcom to let him rip away at the Cold Steel games.

Lain

I'm not really sure what do you mean by hung up here. It is undeniable fact that Steam takes a cut while in theory they could have been taking a smaller cut. Some indie stores do, in fact, take a smaller cut, and if you take the decision to make your own store you're gonna have many problems with that but the cut fairness is not one anymore.

It should also be mentioned that Valve does not have a monopoly on selling games for Windows IA-32 / x86_64 PCs. People don't consider running an alternative to Apple App Store for iPhones because that means you are not releasing your apps for regular iPhones at all. While with Steam, you can create your own.

By hung up I mean using the 30% cut Valve takes up for selling games on their store as a sleazy, negative thing.
Hasn't 30% been kinda the standard in the industry, at least for digital?

FLD

I have a conspiracy theory that after seeing Durante do a bang-up job of fixing up Little King's Story, they convinced Falcom to let him rip away at the Cold Steel games.

I doubt they needed much convincing, Durante or not. Based on how Ys VIII and Tokyo Xanadu were handled, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Falcom themselves that pushed for the ports to happen. Wouldn't be the first time they put pressure on XSEED by making some kind of specific request. That's how they ended up jumping straight to localizing Cold Steel in the first place.

I don't even understand people screaming "FINALLY, REAL COMPETITION FOR STEAM" when all they're doing is making one non-Blizzard game an exclusive. Even if they start adding more from the Activision library, it wont be reaching Steam level of releases any time soon, not even GOG level.

I don't even understand people screaming "FINALLY, REAL COMPETITION FOR STEAM" when all they're doing is making one non-Blizzard game an exclusive. Even if they start adding more from the Activision library, it wont be reaching Steam level of releases any time soon, not even GOG level.

Yea Blizzard already said they aren't planning to add other 3rd party games.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

IONBALL 2 IONSTORM -- MB-CE5DAB2E9FD416D1 - Taken by fuzzy123
IONBALL 2 IONSTORM #2 -- MB-E6932AD41AE05C68 - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat
NORMALITY STEAM -- MB-15A0D938EA017A61 - Taken by Mackenzie 92
Tumblestone -- MB-7F9124782991AD56 - Taken by Kifimbo

Teeth

By hung up I mean using the 30% cut Valve takes up for selling games on their store as a sleazy, negative thing.
Hasn't 30% been kinda the standard in the industry, at least for digital?

Yes. But other stores that do not host downloading servers, do not have patching infrastructure (indefinitely, regardless of how well the product sells), do not offer friends lists, forums, picture storage, streaming infrastructure, key generation and cloud saves, etc etc etc.

It's easy to undercut Valve when all you do is sell keys that Valve generates.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder how many Destiny 2 refund requests CD Keys has received since the Battle.net announcement. It'd been selling Steam key pre-orders since the game was announced. Oops!

Madventure

Yes. But other stores that do not host downloading servers, do not have patching infrastructure (indefinitely, regardless of how well the product sells), do not offer friends lists, forums, picture storage, streaming infrastructure, key generation and cloud saves, etc etc etc.

It's easy to undercut Valve when all you do is sell keys that Valve generates.

I mean... time to get accused of being on the steam defense force, but look at the people complaining about the patches for Expeditions: Viking Steam VS GOG, sitting around waiting for them to implement that one.

I know everyone keeps saying 30% but surely a large developer could bargain with the likes of valve and get wiggle room, or is that just naive fantasy

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I know everyone keeps saying 30% but surely a large developer could bargain with the likes of valve and get wiggle room, or is that just naive fantasy

When EA left Steam behind to push the then-nascent Origin, a rumour surfaced that it tried to negotiate a larger cut and pulled Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2 when Valve refused to budge. It's probably the one long-dangling rumour that I actually believe as EA's claim that the games disappearing was Valve's doing is undoubtedly bollocks.

I for one couldn't care less about PC games releasing on other platforms than Steam.

I play various kinds of PC games from Steam, emulators, MMOs, etc. Limiting myself to Steam exclusivity would only give me unnecessary headache. In the end, I always put all of my games shortcut, even the Steam ones, on windows toolbar and launch the games from there anyway.

I doubt they needed much convincing, Durante or not. Based on how Ys VIII and Tokyo Xanadu were handled, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Falcom themselves that pushed for the ports to happen. Wouldn't be the first time they put pressure on XSEED by making some kind of specific request. That's how they ended up jumping straight to localizing Cold Steel in the first place.
That's pretty much what happened. I doubt XSEED would've given up a chance to localize any Falcom game, and they lost it twice.

This was the natural response they had to come up with.

Strange, I just got 3 cards drop from The Cabin: VR Escape the Room all of a sudden. Haven't idled it since April 1st. I wonder if this is the result of the new algorithm that decides if a game is "real" or not?

I didn't seem to get any cards from idling it originally so maybe it was just a bug?

zkylon

zkylewd
I for one couldn't care less about PC games releasing on other platforms than Steam.

I play various kinds of PC games from Steam, emulators, MMOs, etc. Limiting myself to Steam exclusivity would only give me unnecessary headache. In the end, I always put all of my games shortcut, even the Steam ones, on windows toolbar and launch the games from there anyway.

i should start doing so too, but i'm too used at launching everything from steam

Hah, I'm certainly eating crow on Destiny 2 being on Battle.net err Blizzard App uhh... Battle.net? Seriously, get your shit sorted Blizz. I'm more than fine with it being there though, I could stand to have more time off Steam.

i should start doing so too, but i'm too used at launching everything from steam
But LoL!

Excited about the Life is Strange sequel news! I really enjoyed the first one especially the soundtrack. I still remember being in total awe at the beginning when Max first steps out into the hallway, the camera pans around to her back, and the music kicking in perfectly while students are all doing their own things... I knew it would be an amazing experience and it totally was!

Jawmuncher

As said I don't need everything on steam. But I'd like the other launchers to at least be decent. Uplay and Origin aren't the worst thing for the onesies and twosies I play on them. MS Store is still the worst, just because it's not really suited well for games. Yeah it has crisdplay, but achievement pop ups are bugged and it's just all around wonky. Especially when you have to use both the Xbox and Windows Store Apps together. MS asking you to use two launchers is pretty ridiculous.

That is an abominable looking Steam. But you can add Blizzard App stuff to Steam as a non-Steam game. In fact things like Overwatch and Diablo 3 can run without the Blizzard App running at all. Maybe Destiny 2 will operate the same way and have an in-game login.

zkylon

zkylewd
That is an abominable looking Steam. But you can add Blizzard App stuff to Steam as a non-Steam game. In fact things like Overwatch and Diablo 3 can run without the Blizzard App running at all. Maybe Destiny 2 will operate the same way and have an in-game login.
i mean, it's a list of games, hard to make it look pretty

FoneBone

Somehow wound up with two keys for this:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FoneBone, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Walking Dead: A New Frontier -- MB-3B187512F6B15B78 - Taken by rainking187. 26 entrants total.

t1495177258z1.png

shockdude

What, Metro for Steam is a fantastic skin. Not sure what's up with zkylon's fonts though.

Played some Day of Infamy for the first time in a few months and they have really cleaned that game up, the UI and menus are really nice and they added some Steam marketplace stuff where you can buy unique unit types to play as, pretty cool stuff. It's such a great game to only cost $20, some full price games don't have multiplayer or co-op as good as this game does.

Popstar

Strange, I just got 3 cards drop from The Cabin: VR Escape the Room all of a sudden. Haven't idled it since April 1st. I wonder if this is the result of the new algorithm that decides if a game is "real" or not?

I didn't seem to get any cards from idling it originally so maybe it was just a bug?
I had the same thing just happen. Three cards from Klocki.

Klocki only added cards a week ago, so maybe it's granting cards retroactively.

I'm not on my PC, but it looks something like this.

add-toolbar.png

Simple, straightforward, and every game is only two clicks away from the desktop.

What the fuck, I had no idea you could do this.

um...

GKM1V6v.png

yeah that's good

i just like steam cos it lets me take screenshots

What the fuck, you can launch non-Steam games through Steam?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom