• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javier23

Banned
How many games you have installed on Steam and what are some of them?
Dishonored 2, Hitman, MGSV, PUBG, Rocket League, R6 Siege and Witcher 3.

Have yet to finish D2 and W3 after a sizeable amount of hours. The rest I never really get tired of. Meanwhile, my backlog awaits growing bigger and bigger.

Ascheroth

83: Trails the 3rd, Xanadu Next, all the Ys, The Witness, Bayonetta, Stardew Valley, Dragon's Dogma, God Eater 2, Dark Souls, Sleeping Dogs, lots of bundle fodder I tried, etc.
I'm very wary of uninstalling games unless I'm out of HDD space or know 100% I'm done with a game, or it's has a really small size. My internet connection is shite, so the bigger a game is, the more reluctant I am to uninstall, even if I know I'm not going to go back to it anytime soon.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

Currently have:
  • Civ VI
  • Bayonetta
  • Cosmic Star Heroine
  • HITMAN (2016)
  • Talisman: Digital Edition
  • Torment: Tides of Numenera

Try to keep my machine clean. Talisman I keep installed for fun as I tend to play it on a lark. Torment, I'm waiting for them to patch new stuff into it and the others I'm playing off and on between bouts of Persona 5.

data

Currently have:
  • Civ VI
  • Bayonetta
  • Cosmic Star Heroine
  • HITMAN (2016)
  • Talisman: Digital Edition
  • Torment: Tides of Numenera

Try to keep my machine clean. Talisman I keep installed for fun as I tend to play it on a lark. Torment, I'm waiting for them to patch new stuff into it and the others I'm playing off and on between bouts of Persona 5.

What's a lark?

33. I try not to have much more than 30 installed at a time.

Hbg0gGh.png

I put games in categories after I've beaten them or are otherwise "done" with them. MGC, standing for "My Gamer Criterion," is a category for games that I consider artistically or historically significant.

Nabs

Alan Wake tip #1: turn off the hud.

Alan Wake tip #2: the DLC is hidden under Episodes. Play them after beating the game.

---

I just want to say that Battlegrounds is a stupidly fun game. I highly recommend it if you have a group that likes to game together. You also have to be a terrible person as well.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
I just want to say that Battlegrounds is a stupidly fun game. I highly recommend it if you have a group that likes to game together. You also have to be a terrible person as well.

yeah.... I don't even like shooter that much at all... but I played almost 30 hours of this since Monday together with my friends...

The addiction is real!

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Broken Sword 5 - the Serpent's Curse -- MB-5B947AC5338E4245 - Taken by Purkake4
Runestone Keeper -- MB-CA2C3D3DE21F4AEC - Taken by Vuze

Pachimari

The "Alan Wake Collector's Edition Extras" isn't gonna be 90% off?

It's the best game so far this year.

Same here. I was jelly of 360 owners when the game came out. Got it in one of humble's first bundles and never played it

I remember being super annoyed that the game was supposed to come to PC and then became a 360 exclusive. When I eventually bought a 360, I played through the game and it turned out to be a boring pile of shit.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This fellow GAFfer is edging me ever so close to purchasing this
I wish I didn't inevitably end up completely hating anything roguelike. It's such a shame to see such great art and mechanics wasted on that black plague of a design concept.

So i finished The House in Fata Morgana a couple of days ago and i wanted to share my thoughts on the game with you fine folks.

Boy was that a trip and a half... And then some!

Right off the bat i want to start by saying that this is probably the best visual novel I've played in years. If you like visual novels this is a must play.
If you haven't played any vn this is an ok-ish, albeit intimidating place to start providing you can commit to a 25-35 hour experience depending on your reading speed.
I especially love the fact that the developers didn't have any specific demographic in mind when they made the game. They instead wanted to make a game that could be enjoyed by anyone who likes a good story and it absolutely shows.

Speaking of good stories, the story in this game had me hooked from the start (I'm a sucker for the story teller trope) and i was always left wanting more at the end of my long sessions. I never wanted to stop playing in the middle of a chapter.
Most of the characters are complex and they feel like real people with actual flaws, especially if you compare them to what we usually see in the VN's we get on Steam these days.
The art and music are both beautifully done and they perfectly complement the atmosphere of the game and take it to new heights. I've never had so many conflicting emotions go through me at the same time.

The controls are better than i am used to (i mostly play visual novels on portables). Using the mouse wheel to control the text is much better than constantly clicking. Scrolling down takes you to the next piece of dialogue while scrolling up takes you back to the last couple of pages. Simple and effective. There are also quite a few options you can use to customize your reading experience.

I made the mistake of looking up the sales numbers on steamspy. I don't know much about sales numbers for this kind of game, but 3000+ sold just doesn't seem fair... I mean Nekopara has 100x that...

I'm currently in the midst of my first Alan Wake playthrough. I'm nearly at the end of it. Quite enjoying it so far, which is not unexpected, since I love Deadly Premonition, Twin Peaks, etc.

I have never played a game in the visual novel genre. What's a good place to start? House in Fata Morgana does look intriguing.

If you want something 'lighter' in the terms of Twin Stick Shooters, check out Shock Troopers. If you have it via Humblebundle, then you have access to the original Neo Geo game and I could PM you a guide to setting up an emulator to run it.

You're not doing badly to start, it just takes practice. Eyes is kind of a hard character to start with...Crystal is best for a newcomer, imo, but if you're having success with Eyes, keep at it. I think the main thing is to really just stick with one character for a long time and put them through their paces so that certain things become muscle memory.

Most of the mutations are great - my top choices are Bloodlust, Scarier Face and Strong Spirit.

Euphoria is worth taking if you're playing Eyes, your right click ability will slow down shots even more.

Really, the only dud is Sharp Teeth, and you can sort of pull it off if you combine it with Scarier Face and Bloodlust.

Ehh, Nuclear Throne is straight-up ruthless. It's not a question of being good or bad, but being prepared that changes how things go. So persevere and you will succeed (longer before dying)!

I love the way NT's gameplay feels, though. It's part of why it is so replayable, IMO. It's a weird thing that I can't really describe--it's just right. Vlambeer are magicians.

Tales of Maj'Eyal or One Way Heroics are good roguelikes that still have progression. The former has an "exploration" mode that lets you play endlessly if you just want to figure things out, and OWH is designed around replayability. Both have enough persistence--as in, permanent unlocks and item vaults--to ensure that no run is a waste. They also have tons of content to see no matter how you play.

But yeah, a good roguelike is designed around death. The best of them teach you things whenever you die, to further your next run. At a certain point, knowledge becomes progress; they're not games designed for walkthroughs or perfect runs, but compromise, setbacks, and triumph against all odds. (And I'd add, ToME and OWH both accomplish this while also offering degrees of persistence.)

Melee weapons are super good. Expanded melee range is the best upgrade in my opinion. I also like the one which makes you invulnerable to explosions.

Thanks for the info, everyone. :)

I imagine I'd be doing a bit better using the m&kb instead of my somewhat worn out 360 controller. But my main PC is next to my bed, and it's just much more comfortable to play via the controller. I'll try more with the m&kb though.

Regginator

I see Deus Ex Mankind Divided is 75% off, is this likely to be as low as it goes?

Pretty much, yeah. The older Deus Ex games have never gotten more than a 80% sale, even that is pretty rare, because usually it's 75% tops. The only way for Mankind Divided to get cheaper than €12,50 on Steam is if Square lowers the base price (from €50 to €30 for example), which of course would make it cheaper at the same 75% discount.

That being said, get it. Mankind Divided isn't perfect, especially from a story perceptive, but pretty much everything else is amazing, and a bargain at €12,50.

Hektor

Alan Wake is on sale. Apparently, it's similar to other games I've played: Sunless Sea.

Wait, what?

Well, Sunleass Sea is very lovecraft inspired, where as Alan Wake's main influence is Stephen King (And Twin Peaks).

You could make for a case that Stephen King and Lovecraft are both renowned Horror Authors.

DocSeuss

It's more difficult to find emulated games that aren't on Steam.

Try making your own. Find a good title image, than shrink it down to 460x215.

Steam Grid DB has images for a bunch of PS2 games but absolutely nothing for SOCOM. You'll likely have a hard time chasing down images for emulated titles that aren't beloved.

Figured it wouldn't, I'm doing something pretty niche here. Just hate using the Dualshock SO MUCH

you da best

I wonder if we'll ever get a Sims 5. Sims 4 did a lot of stuff well but the lack of the open world really was a deal breaker for me. You have to imagine the game sold millions of copies anyway but I still don't know if EA would be willing to greenlight a new one (which would hopefully fix the problems in 4). They definitely didn't have enough interest to let another Simcity happen.

While it is only been rumored, I'm fairly confident there is another major Sims game in development targeted for 2019. Whether its going to be The Sims 5, a spin off, or something new, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom