• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM News Thread - Read rules before posting

MRORANGE

09epU13.png

For off-topic/casual Steam discussion visit the Steam Community Thread.

What is this thread?
A thread to find about news on Steam / Updates / Sales* quickly and efficiently.

Uh...... but we have one already?
Yes we do, but that thread goes in community and it's a hassle to go through to find sale information or news. some of these news stories are too small and may also get lost in Gaming but are still important.

So how does it work?
You just post the news about the agenda with a link and a brief info, Example: the game that was on sale today.

What are the rules:

- Do not post off topic comments here
- Do not post giveaways
- Do not post on how great a previous post was
- Sales* from other stores are allowed to be posted here if it's the steam version.

Other pointers:

• Discussion should be focused, but not necessarily limited. A new release on Steam or an interesting game on Steam Greenlight is worthy of discussion. An exclusive Origin game or a new release on GOG are not the domain of this thread. A post should be judged on its content and usefulness to the greater audience, not the person posting it. A discussion should be driven by the events of the day, not from boredom.
  • No image macros or replies consisting of mostly images. If a post is worth responding to it is worth responding to with words.
  • No Giveaways. Giveaways should be posted to the Steam Community thread.
  • Sales and sale recaps are permitted but only if they offer keys redeemable on Steam. A good practice to follow is that a new person viewing the thread should not have to ask if a key is redeemable on Steam. Assume everyone here needs it on Steam or that it might as well not exist.
How do we enforce the rules?
Self-moderation, this is a hard one, but if someone is being really obnoxious in the thread then it is perfectly fine to point them out, as long as you have evidence to show how they went against the rules of this thread. It may be better to take this to PM first and have the poster remove his or her comment.​

Momentary

Banned
BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend Coming to Steam December 11th.

I'll definitely be purchasing this. Add me for matches.

Driw3r

Unconfirmed Member
Shroud Of The Avatar: Forsaken Virtues (Richard Garriot) got it's Early Access page. EA will be available in November 24:

Zeknurn

http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail

Steam Workshop Update Adds Voting Queue and Updated Home Pages

Workshop_HomeUpdate.jpg

We just released an update for the Steam Workshop that adds a voting queue for item selection and a new home page for each Workshop to highlight cool content.

New Voting Queue
Workshops for games such as Team Fortress 2, Dota 2, and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive include a type of items that players vote on to help determine which items can get accepted and made available for use in the game.

Workshops with these types of items now have a voting queue, similar to the queue in Greenlight or on the Steam home page. This queue will make it easy to discover new and interesting items to vote on, and will help the game teams get a better measure of community interest on the variety of items being considered for use in the game.

New Home Pages For Every Workshop
Each product Workshop now has a new home page design, helping to highlight the most interesting content in the Workshop, and to also better expose a variety of ways to browse the Workshop. With this new home page, customers can now more easily see mods, maps, or items created by authors they follow, see what their friends are marking as favorites, and read about recent Workshop news from the game teams.

This new home page also provides space for games to run special events such as themed contests, or to highlight new types of content supported by their Workshop.

This update has automatically applied to all games and software with a Steam Workshops, so just check out your favorite Workshop to see these new features.

Other changes:

• Added views for most popular items over trailing three-months, six-months, and year. This only applies to ready-to-use content such as mods and maps.
  • Adding tabs lists to the home page for ready-to-use items. These lists include a new 'Most Subscribed' list as well as 'Most Popular' and 'Most Recent'.
  • Adding larger voting controls to item voting to support the voting queue.
  • Removing comment threads from the main page for items to be voted on. Giant ASCII art is now relegated to the 'comment' tab on each Workshop item.
  • Hiding star ratings on items to be voted on to help avoid biased voting.

I would have rather seen them banning the ASCII art altogether but this is fine too.

Nzyme32

Metal Gear Solid V: GZ confirmed 60 FPS, M/KB support, and no mouse acceleration.

Source 1
Source 2

Thought I'd add known info for anyone out of the loop Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes:

Feedback on features and support are being frequently taken at the Steam Community Hub, so make your concerns and thoughts known here

Release Date: 18th December

Confirmed to include (so far):

• Deja-Vu & Jamais-Vu missions
  • 4K compatibility
  • Increased number of simultaneous light sources
  • Increased number of models displayed on-screen
  • Increased shadow resolution
  • Locked 60fps (only confirmed for GZ so far)
  • Fully customisable Keyboard & Mouse controls
  • Full Controller support including Xbox controllers, DS3 & DS4 (no UI specific to DS controllers) - 4 predefined configurations only
  • No mouse accelleration

• Possibly includes Nvidia tech and optimisation
Event being held on 16th Novemeber, demoing MGSV GZ at Akihabara at nvidia booth along with AssCreed Unity

01_cs1e1_480x.jpg

The dev for Amazing Frog? said that his Steam port was going to show up on Early Access very soon.

Amazing Frog? is one of the Ouya's best games; I'd describe it as a goofy 3D platformer. Similar (superior to, in my opinion) Goat Simulator. Great multiplayer.

Nzyme32

The dev for Amazing Frog? said that his Steam port was going to show up on Early Access very soon.

Amazing Frog? is one of the Ouya's best games; I'd describe it as a goofy 3D platformer. Similar (superior to, in my opinion) Goat Simulator. Great multiplayer.

Do you have a link to the source for more info if there is any? I had a chance to play it before. For what it is, it's actually ridiculous fun compared to things like Goat Simulator and other parody/comedic games.

Nzyme32

Never Alone - Official Launch Trailer - Release Date: 18th November

Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna) is the first game developed in collaboration with the Iñupiat, an Alaska Native people. Nearly 40 Alaska Native elders, storytellers and community members contributed to the development of the game. Play as a young Iñupiat girl and an arctic fox as they set out to find the source of the eternal blizzard which threatens the survival of everything they have ever known.

Guide both characters in single-player mode or play cooperatively with a friend or family member as you trek through frozen tundra, leap across treacherous ice floes, swim through underwater ice caverns, and face numerous enemies both strange and familiar in the journey to save the girl’s village.

In this atmospheric puzzle platformer, you will explore awe-inspiring environments, perform heroic deeds, and meet legendary characters from Iñupiaq stories — all narrated by a master storyteller in the spoken Iñupiaq language.

Grief.exe

Thought I'd add known info for anyone out of the loop Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes:

Feedback on features and support are being frequently taken at the Steam Community Hub, so make your concerns and thoughts known here

Release Date: 18th December

Confirmed to include (so far):

• Deja-Vu & Jamais-Vu missions
  • 4K compatibility
  • Increased number of simultaneous light sources
  • Increased number of models displayed on-screen
  • Increased shadow resolution
  • Locked 60fps (only confirmed for GZ so far)
  • Fully customisable Keyboard & Mouse controls
  • Full Controller support including Xbox controllers, DS3 & DS4 (no UI specific to DS controllers) - 4 predefined configurations only
  • No mouse accelleration

• Possibly includes Nvidia tech and optimisation
Event being held on 16th Novemeber, demoing MGSV GZ at Akihabara at nvidia booth along with AssCreed Unity

01_cs1e1_480x.jpg

Seems like this is shaping up to be a perfect port, they are certainly hitting all the key requirements. I wasn't aware that Konami confirmed arbitrary resolution support, excellent.

Jawmuncher

Seems like this is shaping up to be a perfect port, they are certainly hitting all the key requirements. I wasn't aware that Konami confirmed arbitrary resolution support, excellent.

They basically have everything people want at this point aside from cards.
Going to make a thread about it.

Nzyme32

It's looking good but arbitrary resolutions is still not totally confirmed, but is absolutely something that would be fantastic to have. As someone keen on getting into the 21:9 space and just interested in experimenting with it for this game, I really hope they go for it. There is also hope left for Phantom Pain getting uncapped framerate. Very happy to see very frequent feedback via the forum - what it should actually be used for.

They basically have everything people want at this point aside from cards.
Going to make a thread about it.

Yeah this is another good point. I don't think any Konami game has done it yet, even though some of them have Steam Achievements such as MGS Rising. I'll certainly post about it there also

Anteater

huh they're actually going to sell mgs 5 pc in japan?

instead of region locking that shit like the did with mg rising?

that's pretty crazy!

iosefe

Red Faction: Guerilla Beta Patch notes

UPDATE 14th November 2014:
Changelog:
- Added voice chat "push to talk" option. It's enabled by default and it can be changed in the audio options. It's binded to key "Z" by default.
- Added "Join chat" in matchmaking lobby. When using this option you will be joining RFG chat root.
- DirectX 11 is now default renderer. You can turn it of by -nod3d11 command line parameter.
- Changed minimum player number for Siege and Large Mixer to 6.
- Playlists order fixed.
- Locked achievements should be now visible
- Fixed save game names for the the Bonus campaign.
- Fixed mouse acceleration when driving walkers.
- Added ability to view Steam Gamer profile in leaderboards and in-game scoreboard.
- Changed "VIEW GAMER CARD" to "VIEW STEAM PROFILE"
- Stability improvements.
Steamworks patch is coming along nicely, all we're really missing is the cheat menu

Purkake4

Banned
I don't think game updates should be posted unless they're particularly significant, such as Steamworks betas for GFWL games. With ~4,000 titles, posting regular day-to-day game updates would quickly get in the way of what people are primarily here for (notable deals).
But this game is actually good!

legacyzero

Banned
Holy shit, Metal Gear will be MINE on DAY ONE.

Also, Hey Konami. Be a pal and put the Silent Hill games and older MGS games on Steam, will ya? They already exist.

Don't you want my money?

Miker

Red Faction: Guerilla Beta Patch notes

Steamworks patch is coming along nicely, all we're really missing is the cheat menu

Awesome. I'm glad they're using a DX11 renderer now, as IIRC the DX9 renderer was missing some effects. Is there an ETA on the final patch?

Awesome. I'm glad they're using a DX11 renderer now, as IIRC the DX9 renderer was missing some effects. Is there an ETA on the final patch?

I started playing it last night, and I can honestly say that the current beta is rock-solid. I played for a couple of hours and didn't run into a single issue, which is pretty amazing.

If you're waiting for it to be out of beta, you don't have to worry about the beta status -- it's perfectly playable right now.

Grief.exe

A little late on this, but looks like Hyper Light Drifter will top out at 30 FPS. Looks like worst case scenario confirmed.

Keep in mind many sprite-based games are animated well below 60 FPS, but still render at the higher framerate.

I'm guessing some people might have figured this out, but I asked Heartmachinez on the Double Fine Day of the Devs twitch stream about why the choice for 30fps:

icRGuaNd8abAa.png

iNswZsb5dxXlJ.png

iMWDH52heBuxu.png

iSzp2i0BIFFlf.png

Turns out hand drawn animation at 60fps is not easy.

Nzyme32

Is this a workaround for the Community forum 'issue'? Clever! Can't wait for the PSN News Thread.

Yes and no. Rather there is just a ton of Steam related news, but they often aren't enough to be thread worthy. Meanwhile in the main thread (now community thread) they still get buried amongst everything else, or are not very visible to casual and new users. I think the aim is to have posts in both threads to suit all needs, but this thread should be much more focused on topic of the updates and news, and flow a lot more smoothly. It also aids the community thread for people who don't know about and want to post more casually.

Company of Heroes is 5 dollars at GMG. Tomorrows deal is going to be some sonic mega pack.
Is this a workaround for the Community forum 'issue'? Clever! Can't wait for the PSN News Thread.

I have been wanting this for a long time now. I don't particularly care if it's in Community or Gaming as that's what Subscriptions are for. I just wanted a thread that I could get all the steam news from without having to sift through all the nonsense people were posting there.

Nabs

SteamCardExchange posted a list of games that got cards this week:

15.11.2014 - 6 Cards - This War of Mine
14.11.2014 - 7 Cards - Whisper of a Rose
14.11.2014 - 7 Cards - Escape Dead Island
14.11.2014 - 5 Cards - Phoenix Force
14.11.2014 - 5 Cards - Adventure Time: The Secret Of The Nameless Kingdom
13.11.2014 - 5 Cards - Desert Ashes
12.11.2014 - 6 Cards - Randal's Monday
12.11.2014 - 6 Cards - Space Hulk Ascension
12.11.2014 - 5 Cards - Royal Defense
11.11.2014 - 6 Cards - MASSIVE CHALICE
11.11.2014 - 7 Cards - Valkyria Chronicles™
11.11.2014 - 6 Cards - Deadlings - Rotten Edition
11.11.2014 - 8 Cards - Toybox Turbos
11.11.2014 - 5 Cards - Life of Pixel
11.11.2014 - 9 Cards - METAL SLUG 3
11.11.2014 - 5 Cards - Magnetic By Nature
10.11.2014 - 6 Cards - 0RBITALIS
10.11.2014 - 5 Cards - Aviator - Bush Pilot

MRORANGE

Please ignore this post as it it is not Steam News - but how both threads will work together.

From the Steam Community thread on how both will handle content, bottom line:

- Game updates are fine to certain extent, just don't start posting updates because this thread is slow, read quote below for more info.
- Reviews are best kept to the Community thread, monthly reviews of upcommming games will be posted in this thread once a month.
- Forum rues in community thread still apply.

Thanks for all the feedback, some of the updates have varied views on what should and should not be in the News thread, I think I am going to leave it up to discretion, at the moment only one update has been posted for a game update and that was for a game that was on borderline for a GFWL removal. Of course it might be a bit silly to post a Game update for a game that has just removed black borders in game but it really depends on how many people are interested in the game - for example if it was TEW then yeah black borders are a issue but if it was a 3rd party game by paradox then i doubt there would be as much commotion on the matter. The overall bottom line is that I don't think people should be penalized for posting game updates as some of them may interest other readers.

As for reviews, they will stick in this thread, but I may duplicate the monthly reviews into the new one, as Gaming has a higher view share, plus no reads the first page of the Steam thread @ Community, if you still want reviews in this thread then I recommend helping out with posting with new game recommendations, I've only got two so far this month ;p

As for thread rules, I don't read this thread as much as a I would, in most cases it's a quick 10 minutes check everyday but things are starting to slide, granted we are no longer moderated but cutting down NSFW stuff and console bashing would be a great idea, this isn't HardForums or Reddit, this is a thread that everyone should be able to access without being shat on:

Top Bottom