• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I would buy that Ultimate D&D collection in a heartbeat if they were all Steam activations.

I love that they're DRM-free and all... I've just given over to the hivemind.

Edit: Scratch all of that. I panicked when I saw the deal ending in 1 minute and bought it. When I get the need to revisit those classics, I want to have no obstruction to it.

r3n4ud

So I tried actually running the game, is basically unplayable on Ultra. There are microfreezees each second, and the framerate drops under 20 (used Fraps).

I put all on High, it seems running better, but there are always those microfreezes, and with my 760 I had NONE of them. What could be?

Try reinstalling drivers maybe. Use a driver remover to get rid of your current drivers and reinstall.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Ahah, but I can't help it. I love RTWP :p

And I even like Action-RPG and hack&slash more than TB. Please don't kill me.

Ah, I wasn't talking about myself :). I appreciate the advantages of both systems and recognize their faults. It's that I have seen long arguments wherein others try to prove an objective superiority of their subjectively preferred system.

milena87

Ah, I wasn't talking about myself :). I appreciate the advantages of both systems and recognize their faults. It's that I have seen long arguments wherein others try to prove an objective superiority of their subjectively preferred system.

Don't worry, I knew you weren't talking about yourself, I was joking with the "please don't kill me" part ;)

And I can love TB games as well (Divinity Original Sin is the latest example), it's just that I find RTWP more engaging :)

Same thing with strategy games. I prefer real time, but there are some awesome TB strategy games.

So, gonna start on Fallout: New Vegas soon for the first time and i had a couple of questions

I remember that when i first played F3GOTY, i played through operation anchorage and got some pretty sweet loot. Made the campaign a lot more fun with that stuff. Is there a DLC I should play first before venturing into the main quests in FNV that would have a similar effect?

Also, are there any mods that make the game look better but do not change the style of the game in a noticeable way? I don't like stuff like sexy NPCs or anything because it goes against the original intent for the game's art direction but if there's some mods that improve the overall visuals without betraying the look of the game i'd really appreciate that someone point me towards it.

Jadax

This War of Mine is awesome, but does anyone know how to get people out of depression? I kind of had to kill 5-6 people in the hotel (or was it the school), and Pavle is now depressed as fuck and he's depressing the others too.

Sarcasm

So, gonna start on Fallout: New Vegas soon for the first time and i had a couple of questions

I remember that when i first played F3GOTY, i played through operation anchorage and got some pretty sweet loot. Made the campaign a lot more fun with that stuff. Is there a DLC I should play first before venturing into the main quests in FNV that would have a similar effect?

Also, are there any mods that make the game look better but do not change the style of the game in a noticeable way? I don't like stuff like sexy NPCs or anything because it goes against the original intent for the game's art direction but if there's some mods that improve the overall visuals without betraying the look of the game i'd really appreciate that someone point me towards it.

There is a patch of sorts made by a dude named Josh Sawyer called j sawyer mod that balances the game even more. Its the only one I really use when I play.

It's missing the
docking
track though.

the fuck?

That track was spectacular.

ihav4aq2V6cUe.gif

yuraya

Make sure to get the MTUI mod so that you don't have to do too much scrolling with the dialog options. Its very convenient.

Also there is a dedicated thread here on GAF for Fallout mods. Make sure to spend some time there as well.

There is a patch of sorts made by a dude named Josh Sawyer called j sawyer mod that balances the game even more. Its the only one I really use when I play.

eh, i might do that for a second playthrough but it seems to change too much for my first time through.

Make sure to get the MTUI mod so that you don't have to do too much scrolling with the dialog options. Its very convenient.

Also there is a dedicated thread here on GAF for Fallout mods. Make sure to spend some time there as well.
wow, that actually looks real useful. I'll see if i can check out that thread.

Still, is there a good DLC to do right away that will set me up for the main game really well?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
surely you can't be serious, sam.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (En Ex, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter -- MB-453FF06C459FE79C - Taken by agniswarm
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter -- MB-D5064F6557BCF688 - Taken by lindarasta
i am serious, sam. and don't call me shirley.

yuraya

wow, that actually looks real useful. I'll see if i can check out that thread.

Still, is there a good DLC to do right away that will set me up for the main game really well?

Yes its very useful. Some of the NPC's have a lot of dialog options. Here is the link to that modding thread.

And I never played the DLC for the game so I have no clue. I believe one of the DLC gives extra perks when starting off the character build but I don't know for sure.

Yes its very useful. Some of the NPC's have a lot of dialog options. Here is the link to that modding thread.

And I never played the DLC for the game so I have no clue. I believe one of the DLC gives extra perks when starting off the character build but I don't know for sure.

yeah, i might just use that UI mod and that's it. The NMC's Texture Pack for New Vegas seems to outright replace textures instead of making higher res versions of them, so it lost me with that,

Well it finally happened. As of right now I have more friends playing games on Battle.net, uplay and Origin than on Steam. In fact, if it wasn't for Dota 2 and Counter Strike, Steam wouldn't even be competing.

RIP Steam 2003-2014

Yeah, I bought a new PC with a 760. But since the game seems more and more demanding, I bought a 970 too, wasting all the money I did by working those months. Now I'm without money anyway, just something left for upcoming sales I left apart.
Aaand...I need a job too. Sadly all I can find seems to be part/time job for some days/weeks/month (if it goes well), I need a REAL job too :(
Aw, man :( Good luck finding a good place!
But maybe you should have waited till at least newer 970s with more VRAM? Anyway, good card nonetheless.
-
Yeah, it's a stone's throw from being Far Cry 3 with a different setting, but that's not an entirely bad thing even though I prefer 2 to 3.
Yup. I had lots of fun with FC2 and 3. All up for more of the same in this case.
-
pulled the trigger
bought Witcher 3
bought Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
now to serve my final weeks in college... and graduate
Best of luck! What are you studying?
-
Never jelly but the thirst for shiny new shit is too real.
Maybe I should move to Australia.. I know you get shafted with game prices. How about Hardware though?
-
I just wish Enhanced Steam would do that for me.
Hey JShackles, there's a suggestion for you.. :p
It does show though. But you have to go to the Russian steampage of the game to get an eventual message. Like this:

Grief.exe

It seems that any game where you force MSAA can have MFAA enabled.

It essentially doubles the MSAA level, so 4x MSAA settings will be equivalent to 8x with MFAA enabled.

The performance gain seem to be anywhere between 10-30% when compared to equivalent MSAA settings.

Edit: this may be useful for some people.

Monitor Setup

Before playing games, setting up your monitor's contrast & brightness levels is a very important thing to do. I realized recently that a lot of you guys have set up your monitor improperly. How do we know this? Because we receive a couple of emails every now and then telling us that a reader can't distinguish between the benchmark charts (colors) in our reviews. We realized, if that happens, your monitor is not properly set up.

monitor-setup.png

This simple test pattern is evenly spaced from 0 to 255 brightness levels, with no profile embedded. If your monitor is correctly set up, you should be able to distinguish each step, and each step should be visually distinct from its neighbors by the same amount. Also, the dark-end step differences should be about the same as the light-end step differences. Finally, the first step should be completely black.

Ban Puncher

Maybe I should move to Australia.. I know you get shafted with game prices. How about Hardware though?

Higher prices but higher wages so it kinda balances out. Except graphics cards, prices are well rude. I'll buy most PC stuff locally but I'll buy top end Nvidias from Amazon at nearly half the price.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It does show though. But you have to go to the Russian steampage of the game to get an eventual message. Like this:

Yep. :)

Just be sure that "Show warnings on items where cross region trading is disabled" is checked in the options, and you're good to go.

Amzin

yeah, i might just use that UI mod and that's it. The NMC's Texture Pack for New Vegas seems to outright replace textures instead of making higher res versions of them, so it lost me with that,

Get Nevada Skys. Gives better skybox, and you can customize the weather

I second the Nevada Sky recommend. Having weather outside of the one DLC is a nice treat. I like NMC a lot personally, I honestly haven't noticed any out-of-place textures or anything. I also used some mod to overhaul/increase the amount of plants to be a little more realistic.

As far as DLCs, I've only played one so far (Honest Hearts) but the general consensus seems to be that they're hard. There were a bunch of mid-to-high skill checks in the one I did, and I didn't start it until level 11 or 12. The other DLC are supposedly even harder with skill checks and combat, combat in HH wasn't too scary though.

The other 3 DLC have some references to each other, the order I'm planning to play them in is Dead Money -> Old World Blues -> Lonesome Road. I think Lonesome Road is supposed to be last story wise, even after most of the story of the main game.

Spyware

Ugh. I hate that Elgiganten is so slow and can't communicate properly. I still have no idea if I got South Park or if I was too slow. I think they have sent me Soul Suspect tho. If so I'll raffle it!

Will ya look at that. It's my birthday.
I survived for 22 years now without being eaten by a robot monkey. Go me!
Happy birthday!

Parsnip

Well, grabbed DA:I from nuuvem, couldn't resist.

Also, it seems like Origin has stopped lying about the download speeds? Mine at least seems to top out at what my actual speed is supposed to be. Unless it's reporting different speeds during pre-load than what it would report during normal download.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom