• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | November 2016 - Rally to Restore Fear and/or Sanity in the Steam Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

Since we are talking about FF, I recently played FF5 for the first time (sue me).

I am now convinced that at least mechanically, it is still the most accomplished out of all the mainline Final Fantasies, even 24 years later.

Final Fantasy XII would like to have a world with you.
(Also, you should definitely try that Final Fantasy 5 Roguelike mod - 0% story, 100% mechanics)

Welcome to the club. Join us next year for the Fiesta! That's how many learn to truly appreciate the perfect design of the job system.

Did you lost an avatar bet or what? Where's muh slime?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Since we are talking about FF, I recently played FF5 for the first time (sue me).

I am now convinced that at least mechanically, it is still the most accomplished out of all the mainline Final Fantasies, even 24 years later.

The question is, should I make a gaming thread about this further elaborating why, or will it just turn into "Rank Final Fantasy games #114"?

Make the thread but don't make the title anything that invites a comparison. Just make it "FF5 has great game mechanics" rather than "FF5 has the best game mechanics in the series". Even mentioning other games for comparison in your OP will doom you.

Aeana

The question is, should I make a gaming thread about this further elaborating why, or will it just turn into "Rank Final Fantasy games #114"?
Welcome to the club. Join us next year for the Fiesta! That's how many learn to truly appreciate the perfect design of the job system.

Tizoc

Do it. Ignore those that want to rank their FF games and just talk about it.
Also obligatory awesome GBA localization post
expository-banter.gif

Also Guido knows what it's like to be a PC Gamer when having to deal with Console peeps
snark.jpg

Sorry couldn't find any good GBA screenshots :V

Catshade

I finished FF V on iOS a few months ago, and I found the job system is pretty basic. I mastered monk+ninja+ranger class, and for most part of the game my four characters were basically dual-wielding their fists and each attack eight times in one turn with the Rapid Fire skill.

zkylon

zkylewd
gotta say fences is a pretty good program out of those in the humble bundle

been using it for like 2 years and it's pretty nice if you tend to make a mess out of ur desktop

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Steam is showing me prices in dollars, and when I try to add stuff to the cart I cant

and now I cant log back in >_>

Wok

Steam is showing me prices in dollars, and when I try to add stuff to the cart I cant

and now I cant log back in >_>

Same here. I think it is down.

gotta say fences is a pretty good program out of those in the humble bundle

been using it for like 2 years and it's pretty nice if you tend to make a mess out of ur desktop

I was not even considering the first tier. Now that you said that, I might buy the bundle for the $1 tier.

For higher tiers: I don't have multiple monitors, I prefer a local solution such as KeePass rather than LastPass, I don't like the "too good to be true" promises made on the VPN website, plus I don't like the "2017 Plus SuperMaxiGood" annual releases, so it sounds like a pass for me.

is the pc/steam version an ok way to play through FFV or is there something terrible about it? i guess this goes for every classic FF

Aeana

I finished FF V on iOS a few months ago, and I found the job system is pretty basic. I mastered monk+ninja+ranger class, and for most part of the game my four characters were basically dual-wielding their fists and each attack eight times in one turn with the Rapid Fire skill.
You found it basic because you came across an I win button combination. The reason why the Fiesta is so popular is because it forced you to learn how to use the other jobs effectively.

OfuNlZ6.png

Finished Sniper Elite V2. Took me exactly 8 hours according to in-game statistics actually. A bit sooner than I expected but just the right time. It was getting tedious.

It's a third-person shooter with a clear focus on long-range sniping, set in the last days of World War II. You play as a generic American sniper with the mission to eliminate five German rocket scientists before they can escape to Soviet Russia. This is it. This is the amount and depth of the story and characters. I don't remember a single name of the scientists or high-ranking German officers. I don't even remember my own name or if it was ever told. You could call it shallow, a backdrop or just not a focus of the devs which is fine because Sniper Elite V2 feels like a budget production, so it's natural for it to be lacking in visuals, polish and presentation in general.
They did however put enough focus on what matters, the actual sniping. It is simply fun. What also makes it stand out is the gratuitous, excessive violence of the slow-motion x-ray kill-cam. It never got not satisfying to watch organs, skulls, gonads and bones get shredded.
The game's structure is very straightforward with corridor-like maps that leave little room for different approaches. This surprised me as sniping could be done in a more open map design. It's not a detriment to the game though. This way missions take not too long and avert becoming tedious hunts. Besides your sniper rifle you also have a submachine gun and a pistol which will be used not as often. This is a good thing since close-quarters combat is lacking.
On that front I feel the need to advise against a stealth playstyle. The mechanics are just not well implemented and the results are frustrating and unsatisfying. Once I abandoned stealth after the first few missions, my enjoyment with the game increased significantly. I feel the devs knew this as well, since there are no missions which have stealth requirements which is odd since there are stealth mechanics like carrying corpses, timing shots to ambient noise, visibility markers etc. They just don't work well on top of a lack of manual saving and bad, bad AI. As an action shooter it is a fun time.
I do recommend giving this a try. Just leave any expectations of story at the door and prepare for a glorious shooting gallery.

zkylon

zkylewd
I was not even considering the first tier. Now that you said that, I might buy the bundle for the $1 tier.

For higher tiers: I don't have multiple monitors, I prefer a local solution such as KeePass rather than LastPass, I don't like the "too good to be true" promises made on the VPN website, plus I don't like the "2017 Plus SuperMaxiGood" annual releases, so it sounds like a pass for me.
yeah idk about the rest, but fences is pretty legit

tbh i've been lately using the desktop less and less, but i find it's still useful to have a tool to organize it

OfuNlZ6.png

Finished Sniper Elite V2. Took me exactly 8 hours according to in-game statistics actually. A bit sooner than I expected but just the right time. It was getting tedious.

It's a third-person shooter with a clear focus on long-range sniping, set in the last days of World War II. You play as a generic American sniper with the mission to eliminate five German rocket scientists before they can escape to Soviet Russia. This is it. This is the amount and depth of the story and characters. I don't remember a single name of the scientists or high-ranking German officers. I don't even remember my own name or if it was ever told. You could call it shallow, a backdrop or just not a focus of the devs which is fine because Sniper Elite V2 feels like a budget production, so it's natural for it to be lacking in visuals, polish and presentation in general.
They did however put enough focus on what matters, the actual sniping. It is simply fun. What also makes it stand out is the gratuitous, excessive violence of the slow-motion x-ray kill-cam. It never got not satisfying to watch organs, skulls, gonads and bones get shredded.

The game's structure is very straightforward with corridor-like maps that leave little room for different approaches. This surprised me as sniping could be done in a more open map design. It's not a detriment to the game though. This way missions take not too long and avert becoming tedious hunts. Besides your sniper rifle you also have a submachine gun and a pistol which will be used not as often. This is a good thing since close-quarters combat is lacking.
On that front I feel the need to advise against a stealth playstyle. The mechanics are just not well implemented and the results are frustrating and unsatisfying. Once I abandoned stealth after the first few missions, my enjoyment with the game increased significantly. I feel the devs knew this as well, since there are no missions which have stealth requirements which is odd since there are stealth mechanics like carrying corpses, timing shots to ambient noise, visibility markers etc. They just don't work well on top of a lack of manual saving and bad, bad AI. As an action shooter it is a fun time.

I do recommend giving this a try. Just leave any expectations of story at the door and prepare for a glorious shooting gallery.

They improved everything for the sequel. The maps are open, and you can actually be stealthy.

They were giving one of the Sniper games away on Steam and I ran through the story.

It was ok. I only had one nut shot the whole game and it was on accident. I murder with honor.

Okay, I may have tried to nail a few more unsuspecting gonads but for the most part I opted for the quick death.

That sounds actually really good. I do have SE3 but I don't feel like going back to back. Thanks though. I wasn't very hot for the third after my time with V2 to be frank.

The maps are really big now and there are a lot of different ways to approach your objectives. You can also skip killing the grunts and just ghost your way to your main targets, and the stealth system is way better. The fourth one should improve the formula even more, going by the early previews that I read before it was delayed.

V and XII ZJS are the two best games in the series, mechanically. The rest barely accomplish anything on that front, they mostly rely on atmosphere and story.

If you like FFV, you should give Dragon Quest III, VII and IX a look if you haven't already.

X-2 has good combat mechanics, just really bad everything else.

The reverse Witcher 3.

Nzyme32

No one seems to be listed as doing the Tyranny OT next week... what madness is this.

I'll do it if no one else does it, but my time is limited so it will probably be less in depth

Reminds me how much great fun I had with Medal of Honor Airborne back on the PS3. Absolutely among my favorite WWII shooters. Probably even the most. Great game design.

Red Faction Guerilla got a new update. Yes, a game from 2009 is getting patches. That's dedication. Hats off to devs.
Steam Edition Update #6 21:9 resolution support, wallshot fix, FOV option for multiplayer and some balancing updates

Changelog

- Support for 21:9 resolutions
- Fixed bug, where player could shot through a wall while standing behind it.
- Added possibility to adjust FOV in multiplayer. Maximum multiplayer FOV value is 60.
- Reduced heal backpack "health regen per second" to 250 from 600
- Reduced firepower (commando) direct and area damage dealth factor to 1.2 from 1.5
- Removed Arc welder darkness effect which makes it extremely hard to hit someone using it on you in combat
- Increased rail driver default refire delay to 1200 and MP override reload delay to 900.
This ends up matching perfectly so it's ready to fire when the beam vanishes. Making it easier to dodge and increases skill to use

Cheers!

Red Faction Guerilla got a new update. Yes, a game from 2009 is getting patches. That's dedication. Hats off to devs.

I wish I could remember who bought the IP from THQ. Was it Nordic or something?

Anyways, it's really impressive that they know how to treat such a classic game. It's one of my favourite open world games out there due to its sheer fun factor.

Vamphuntr

No one seems to be listed as doing the Tyranny OT next week... what madness is this.

I'll do it if no one else does it, but my time is limited so it will probably be less in depth

At least somebody else is interested in the game! I wonder if it will show up on GMG. So far best deal is 20% off at the wingamestore.

Just hoping the classless system works well and the evil path is fully fleshed out.

user237

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Lumino City -- MB-A1EA2ED0077D0D99 - Taken by Stall19. 3 entrants total.

t1478052336z1.png

take it

Buraindo

I wish I could remember who bought the IP from THQ. Was it Nordic or something?

Anyways, it's really impressive that they know how to treat such a classic game. It's one of my favourite open world games out there due to its sheer fun factor.

Yeah Nordic got it. They've been great with all these surprise updates.

Nzyme32

At least somebody else is interested in the game! I wonder if it will show up on GMG. So far best deal is 20% off at the wingamestore.

Just hoping the classless system works well and the evil path is fully fleshed out.

Wingamestore looks like US only. Seems there are only a few places outside Steam that got access to sell it. In the UK you can get it cheaper at 15% off. So I picked up the Archon Edition for £38. Gotta have that soundtrack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom