• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I spent a good 4 or 5 hours in it over the past couple of nights, and I think it's really good. Reminded me of Archdragon Peak, both in terms of length, and, as you say, it feels like it's a mini-world. I see it's got a "Mixed" score on the Steam page, with complaints of a short-length, and whilst that's true, I think it's only vaguely relevant if someone's buying the DLC at full-price. At even 33% off it'd be worth the money, and anyone who has already bought the Season Pass (or has the Deluxe Version with it included) should play it. The only reason to maybe pass on it straight away is to wait for the second and final DLC (apparently sometime in the first half of next year), and play them together.
I noticed that criticism as well in the user reviews. Yeah, it did take me less time to finish than previous DLC but I'm in general not a fan of valuing a game by length and/or price. Prices will always change, are subjective to ones income and how much they are ready to give for gaming and most of all tying value to money is not a useful metric for me. There were very short games which gave me more enjoyment than many longer ones.

The only value I care is not the price or length but if a game is worth my time.

Been playing Dead Rising today, it's quite hard and sometimes a bit overwhelming. It has that adrenaline rush effect though that not many games (outside of Zombi, Dark Souls etc.) have these days.

Hektor

pzO1wwX.png

And it took just four short days!

But at least i unlocked an achievement in their store.

Hektor

It's incredibly bothersome just how many people in that japanese steam sales thread are ignoring the entirety of context.

Arthea

not sure if mentioned, there is a spooky 50 cent bundle on groupees going on:
Pineview Drive
Sixtieth Kilometer
Joe's Diner
Red Lake
Oz Orwell and the Exorcist (not steam)
and some music
https://groupees.com/the5019

nothing particularly great, but hey, it's 50 cents.

It's incredibly bothersome just how many people in that japanese steam sales thread are ignoring the entirety of context.

As crazy as it is, some people just want to twist these into bad sales because they feel uncomfortable about Japanese games getting on Steam, for the sole reason some of these were exclusives before.
This is why we got some troubles on Nier Automata steam announcement thread or the infamous physically ill comment.

Tizoc

As crazy as it is, some people just want to twist these into bad sales because they feel uncomfortable about Japanese games getting on Steam, for the sole reason some of these were exclusives before.
This is why we got some troubles on Nier Automata steam announcement thread or the infamous physically ill comment.

Let them get back to you once a JP game that's on PS4 manages to outsell it's Steam ver. when said PS4 game goes for $5 or less.

Yeah, you are not playing enough.

I'd play more if my wrist didn't hurt, true story. Playing PC games since 8th grade is finally taking a toll on my body. feelsbadman

I have a steam controller but it's terrible at emulating a mouse, so I just keep torturing myself instead.

rtcn63

I'd play more if my wrist didn't hurt, true story. Playing PC games since 8th grade is finally taking a toll on my body. feelsbadman

I have a steam controller but it's terrible at emulating a mouse, so I just keep torturing myself instead.

Do high repetition wrist curls in-between gaming sessions

DBWristCurl.gif

Ascheroth

I've started playing Shadowverse (aka anime Hearthstone) yesterday, what have I done!?
I have the games from the two last Humble Barambles to play, a lot of God Eater 2, I'd like to get 1 or 2 cheap horror games in the sale, Xanadu Next is coming out soon and I just won Stardew Valley in the giveaway.
What am I supposed to do.

This video about Clockwork Empires from the folks at Cinemassacre positively surprised me. Didn't know much about it and wasn't interested at all but it looks very deep set in a Lovercraftian world.

It looks pretty interesting, but those guys seemed to dither quite a bit.

"Does this game have an end to it? Or is there some kind of goal?"
"The goal is to survive as long as possible." Uh, you could have answered "No." Mind you, it was a paid review so I'm guessing they tried not to use negative words in it.

Or they just straight-up assume what the context is. When people look at some random $40 VN "only" selling 3,000 copies on Steam as a failure, they're bringing in a lot of baseless baggage with them. These games often sell in that range in Japan, and these localizations probably weren't even part of the original budget plan for the game.

People looking at 200k for re-releases of Danganronpa 1 and 2 and balking like that's a failure clearly have no idea what their lineup of Vita favorites most likely sold. Like, do they think the average 5,000 year old dragon dungeon crawler for a half-buried portable is selling 300k on the low-end or something?

And of course they can't stop talking about Steam sales and bundles, as if that's some curse releasing a game on PC forces upon all who dare enter, rather than the publisher's choice.

I dont go into those threads anymore. You can tell "them" fivehundredtimes that sales of a normal fullpriced VN of 10.000 are already considered a success most of the time, but they still wont listen.

Endruen

Super Metroid is the only Metroid game with anything important to say. The rest are meh.

Metroid Fusion>>>>Super Metroid

It's like Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, they pick the things that made the old one great and improve them.

Wok

Since I have just taken the time to format a post of my most awaited indie games in a thread by More_Badass, I thought I could cross-post them as well here. Nine of them are on Steam. Each picture is clickable.

Some games are not yet on Steam: Ernesto RPG, its randomly-generated variant called Fidel (hello zkylon), and Miegakure

Prepare your wishlist for indie flavour!

Ernesto RPG is slated for a early 2015 release on PC/Mac/Tablets.

Or not.

Pakkidis

Playing geometry wars 3. Many of you are on my friends list. Apple, man, Pepsimanvsjoe, Tarsona, have put up some insane scores....

zkylon

zkylewd
Since I have just taken the time to format a post of my most awaited indie games in a thread by More_Badass, I thought I could cross-post them as well here. Nine of them are on Steam. Each picture is clickable.

Some games are not yet on Steam: Ernesto RPG, its randomly-generated variant called Fidel (hello zkylon), and Miegakure

Prepare your wishlist for indie flavour!

Or not.

yea daniel is infamous around these parts for his games taking forever to complete

also cool about miegakure, that game has the witness written all over it

Nzyme32

Honestly not that excited for rdr2

Same. Until it actually is available for PC and there is some way for me to play the original, then I'd actually have some context to perhaps be excited. Even for GTA games, I enjoy them a bunch, but I'm not excited or "hype" for them; the gameplay is a bit stale / predictable for me these days even though it is the top of its class for the genre(s).

Eh, Steam Controller works wonderfully as a mouse in my experience. Certainly not as good, but pretty damn close with settings tuned to taste. Shit, I played the entire Starcraft 2 campaign through without issues on our TV. Gonna do Heart of the Swarm soon.

Jawmuncher

Same. Until it actually is available for PC and there is some way for me to play the original, then I'd actually have some context to perhaps be excited. Even for GTA games, I enjoy them a bunch, but I'm not excited or "hype" for them; the gameplay is a bit stale / predictable for me these days even though it is the top of its class for the genre(s).

Eh, Steam Controller works wonderfully as a mouse in my experience. Certainly not as good, but pretty damn close with settings tuned to taste. Shit, I played the entire Starcraft 2 campaign through without issues on our TV. Gonna do Heart of the Swarm soon.

How did you do star craft?

Nzyme32

How did you do star craft?

For Starcraft 2 I actually used one of the existing binding sets, but I set a mode switch so I can flip between both trackpads as blended mouse or just the right as the mouse and left for map scrolling, and even have the gyro (but barely use it). One of the grips turns both trackpads into two separate mouse regions for quick access to map and some building options. Other than that there is a touch menu on the other grip for some rarer macro stuff, and everything else binds to the existing buttons / bumpers. I messed with the full click of the triggers too, think one was attack move and the other was for routing units. It's been months since I played though; was about the same time the mode switching launched

They should have named Far Cry Primal "Caveman Simulator" instead

I really am liking it more than all the impressions would have let me believe. After finishing my time with it I'm totally going to get a copy of Apocalypto and have a capper.

apocalypto-10.jpg

far-cry-primal-walkthrough-part-11-6.jpg

I love the Izila style.

Interesting that FC:p doesn't have tattooed characters.

Nzyme32

I really am liking it more than all the impressions would have let me believe. After finishing my time with it I'm totally going to get a copy of Apocalypto and have a capper.

apocalypto-10.jpg

far-cry-primal-walkthrough-part-11-6.jpg

I love the Izila style.

Interesting that FC:p doesn't have tattooed characters.

Surprised to hear a few friends say the same thing about Primal, and they are as jaded as I am about the gameplay of those games in general, so I'll probably have to check it out eventually. Might be the first Uplay game I buy myself since, maybe AssCreed 2 / 3. Since then I only bought South Park and Grow Home, both of which don't use Uplay, but the new South Park will definitely get bought and perhaps now Primal as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom