• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Sale - (Overlooked) Indie Game Deals Discussion Thread

Fl1pp13

Neo Member
Would you guys consider Don't Starve a must-have, or should I wait till the price drops. I'm on a tight budget this Summer Sale and have to reconsider every game I'm interested in.

Wanderlust: Rebirth - $2.49 (75% off)
C6MIgHe.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/211580

A classic-style RPG with up to 4-player online co-op. Fun game for a cheap price.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Would you guys consider Don't Starve a must-have, or should I wait till the price drops. I'm on a tight budget this Summer Sale and have to reconsider every game I'm interested in.

Its a very, very, very good game, but you might as well wait another 5 months if you arent in a hurry. Since its currently at 40%, its guaranteed to be lower during the next sale.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Pushed the Bundles to the 4th post.

DukeBobby

Just bought Cart Life for £1.59. Thanks for the recommendation, GAF.

The screenshots remind me a little of Papers, Please, which I hope gets a full release soon. Man, I played the beta for hours.

Toma

Im at work and am going to miss Endless Space and Kairo it seems. Hope they get back up later in the sale.

If you miss Kairo (or even ES for that matter), then you have fucking long work hours.

Beardz

Off-Topic, this is why I love PC gaming so much, this is like the golden years of gaming, all time.

Such diversity and creativity.

I'll toss up a couple of recommendations quick:

Noitu Love 2: Devolution - $1.50 (70% off)
ss_e5e2d42750c78789bc473ba04e317a178ecb5e2f.600x338.jpg

Noitu Love 2 is a charming little action game where the two big draws are the fantastic pixel art and the unique mouse + keyboard control scheme. Your character has a fast airdash that is aimed with the mouse cursor, so when you get into a flow you can rack up huge combo points while screaming around a level without even touching the ground. Recommended for fans of stuff like Gunstar Heroes.
Link

Dungeons of Dredmor - $1.25 or $2.50 with all DLC (75% off)
ss_cf1956ce8543edb908afd987c26583f2e7e462da.600x338.jpg

This is the first roguelike that has ever managed to really grab me (aside from Desktop Dungeons). It has a perfect blend of accessibility to ease you into the game with the same depth and difficulty that you would expect from a roguelike. The graphics are not stunning, but they are a good step up from most of the roguelike genre. As an extra bonus the game has been updated several times by the developer with reasonably priced DLC and the game has Steam Workshop support for user added content.
Link

PixelJunk Eden - $2.50 (75% off)
ss_d75de7c9337ddab73c28f547090493a043bf770f.600x338.jpg

Oddly calming little 2D web swinging game. Has beautiful visuals and a nice soundtrack so it makes a good game to just chill out to while still having some engaging gameplay.
Link

Gundemonium Collection - $5 (50% off)
ss_e02ceeacf1efcb611a43905e7977827be0ec897c.600x338.jpg

Only 50% off, but Steam isn't exactly loaded with good bullet hell SHMUPs so I'll recommend this as well. Has three fun Japanese indie shooters, the first two being side scrollers (the second one is the only game in the collection with a two player mode) and the last one being a top down shooter. Some good bullet patterns and interesting mechanics on display here.
Link

Those are stuff that I own and have enjoyed. Personally I'm already building up a list of stuff to snag on the last day if it doesn't get cheaper. Unity of Command, Yosumin, eXceed pack and others.

Toma

Has Dyad been a daily yet? You guys think it might go lower?

50/50

Also, on a different note: Just added all the posts to the OP that followed the correct format.

Edit:... except the post above me. *shakes fist at fighting fish*

Just wanted to say thanks everyone... Toma for making the thread and all y'all for making me buy like 12 more games =/

Little Inferno is great btw...

Toma

Just wanted to say thanks everyone... Toma for making the thread and all y'all for making me buy like 12 more games =/

Little Inferno is great btw...

This thread is faaaaaaaaaar from over. Take a seat and prepare your wallet, we are just getting started.

This thread is faaaaaaaaaar from over. Take a seat and prepare your wallet, we are just getting started.

Yeah, in the main thread folks often get a bit down on the deals during some of the Steam sales over the past year or two. And it's true that looking at just the big games they often do get beat out a bit by GMG or Amazon recently. But the wonderful thing about the big Steam sales is the depth of the catalog and the percent of the catalog that goes on sale. Steam has competition in the "getting a 6 month old AAA game for $20" category but in the "getting a 6 month old indie game for $1.50" they still clean up the competition. So much good stuff available.

edit: Added links to my post as well, sorry about forgetting them.

What's the difference between Incredipede's Normal and Hard difficulty? Is it like SMB's dark levels (changed to be harder)?

---
I want Surgeon Simulator but do the devs plan to add more scenarios in updates?

Toma

Thoughts on Grimrock? Don't know much about the game besides it's a dungeon crawler. What should I expect from the game?

Played any other first person dungeon crawlers? Its probably the best recent dungeon crawler with interesting environmental puzzles that will challenge your spatial&creative thinking and dungeon romping skills. I loved, loved, loved, loved it to death if that is recommendation enough. On another note, it also has an editor and steam workshop integration for more user content. The main dungeon will take you about 20-25 hours to play through.

gngf123

Thoughts on Grimrock? Don't know much about the game besides it's a dungeon crawler. What should I expect from the game?

First person old style dungeon crawler movement (q and e to turn, technically grid based but still wasd).

The game is really good, but not for everyone. A lot of the puzzles are fairly simple but very easy to miss, and the combat is okay once you learn to play the angles.

Toma

Since I'll be on the road from tomorrow onwards, I'd appreciate if you guys could take your time to create posts with the layout provided in the OP. Saves me a huge chunk of time and I can immediately add it to the thread without you needing to wait a few hours until I have time to update it.

Additionally, whats your opinion on the daily/flash deals of the OP? Include them in the main list or exclude them from the main list since they already got a daily and probably wont be picked up anymore anyway? They might come around another time for a recap sale I guess.

Toma

Random comment I just found from one of my Steam friends on Grimrock:
The best game I've played in 2012 so far. An amazingly atmospheric journey through a dark and hopeless dungeon, with only your wits and a torch to guide your party of four. Highly recommended for everyone, even people who haven't played this type of game before. You will love it.

-MD-

You move in a grid fashion with your crew of 4, you outfit them and just solve puzzles while dealing with monsters.

It's really dope, I loved it. Played like 25 hours.

Top Bottom