• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Sale - (Overlooked) Indie Game Deals Discussion Thread

FranXico

Thank you, OP, for the heads up on The Rock of Ages! I was planning on getting it for a long time, but always thought 10€ on Steam / PSN was too much!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Thank you, OP, for the heads up on The Rock of Ages! I was planning on getting it for a long time, but always thought 10€ on Steam / PSN was too much!

I agree, I was a bit annoyed at paying that, but the game is definitely worth the discounted price for its origininality alone.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
And the OP has been updated with the current deals.

Cth

I'm about to pick up a "game", but not sure if it qualifies.

Dinner Date
($0.74) - 75% off

http://store.steampowered.com/app/94000

ss_0564864b9bccebea398e0ef560cc69b114caafc1.600x338.jpg

At the Independent Game Festival 2011, „Dinner Date” has been nominated for the Nuovo award, an award which ‘honors abstract, shortform, and unconventional game development which advances the medium and the way we think about games.’

Julian Luxemburg has prepared a dinner for two at his place – but things go awry when the date does not show up and he is left waiting at his dinner table, the clock’s ticking growing unbearably loud.

[..]

You are not merely listening – in the unprecedented role as his subconsciousness you tap the table, look at the clock and, as Julian bares more of his mind, reluctantly start to eat, your actions resonating with Julian’s thoughts to form an absolutely singular form of intimacy.

Also considering picking up:

Time Gentlemen, Please! and Ben There, Dan That! Special Edition Double Pack
($0.49) - 90% off

http://store.steampowered.com/app/37400/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

ss_dbf3b2b68801afa3ab5e0eae6c763a16d1f064bf.600x338.jpg

Ben There, Dan That! and Time Gentlemen, Please! are a couple of rip-roaring point-and-click adventure games . With tongue firmly in cheek, sit back, relax, and put your mind to work solving puzzles, and reading some very funny dialogue. It's like a book, only good!

From an horrific and untimely death in deep, dark Peru, via preposterous-and-suspect alien invasions, to whipping back-and-forth in time to stop Hitler and his army of robot Nazi dinosaur clones, this is one set of adventures you're unlikely to forget.

Played any other first person dungeon crawlers? Its probably the best recent dungeon crawler with interesting environmental puzzles that will challenge your spatial&creative thinking and dungeon romping skills. I loved, loved, loved, loved it to death if that is recommendation enough. On another note, it also has an editor and steam workshop integration for more user content. The main dungeon will take you about 20-25 hours to play through.

First person old style dungeon crawler movement (q and e to turn, technically grid based but still wasd).

The game is really good, but not for everyone. A lot of the puzzles are fairly simple but very easy to miss, and the combat is okay once you learn to play the angles.

Random comment I just found from one of my Steam friends on Grimrock:

You move in a grid fashion with your crew of 4, you outfit them and just solve puzzles while dealing with monsters.

It's really dope, I loved it. Played like 25 hours.

Thank you. Never played that kind o game before, looks like it' going to suck my time as FTL is doing.

Toma

Kairo sounds interesting. Any more info from people who have played it?

From the monthly Indie threads:
Looking at screenshots rarely does this game justice - I remember first seeing it and thinking to myself that it was some guy's first day playing with digital legos and he made a few buildings he was proud of. But the extreme minimalist approach to design works very well in its favor, the stark and clinically crafted locales intrigue with nonsensical constructions with little to no explanation as to why these things operate the way they do. The chilling soundtrack and confounding world rules sparks the imagination in the way that only old school adventure games could do. It's no Portal or Antichamber, but its ambitions are far more humble than that.

Feel free to join us over there. Plenty of stuff that undeservedly will never get to see a Greenlight release:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=608986

This thread has significantly expanded my Steam wishlist.
That launch trailer for Dyad was hilarious in how they edited the audio from the PS3 launch trailer and threw in STEAM AND GOG, love it.

Toma

Thank you. Never played that kind o game before, looks like it' going to suck my time as FTL is doing.

Not quite. FTL is literally endless (especially with the endless mod), while Grimrock is a very engaging and long game but the main game comes to an end eventually. You could still dabble into user content, but for many its just not the same I guess.
This thread has significantly expanded my Steam wishlist.
That launch trailer for Dyad was hilarious in how they edited the audio from the PS3 launch trailer and threw in STEAM AND GOG, love it.

Keep checking back here in a few days. My modest estimations say the thread is only about 25% filled with what it will contain later.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Point n Click fans...if it goes on sale do NOT hesitate to buy "The Book of Unwritten Tales". One of the absolute better graphic adventures of recent years.

Thoughts on Grimrock? Don't know much about the game besides it's a dungeon crawler. What should I expect from the game?

I'm actually not a huge fan, but that might be more of an issue with crawlers in general. The combat was prone to boring spammy stepping maneuvers. After the nth time kiting in a 2x2 square I was done with the combat. And the puzzles did very little for me as well. I felt that they were often ill defined, and relied more on "got'cha" moments as opposed to really putting my brain to work in a defined problem space. I did think that it was charming as all get out though, but I only lasted a couple of hours.

Toma

I'm actually not a huge fan, but that might be more of an issue with crawlers in general. The combat was prone to boring spammy stepping maneuvers. After the nth time kiting in a 2x2 square I was done with the combat. And the puzzles did very little for me as well. I felt that they were often ill defined, and relied more on "got'cha" moments as opposed to really putting my brain to work in a defined problem space. I did think that it was charming as all get out though, but I only lasted a couple of hours.

Yeah, you probably just dont like Dungeon Crawlers. Combat in these games is probably not what I would call "overly exciting" although I had quite a few O SHIT moments when I had a giant troll coming around the corner and needed to retreat.

Tizoc

If it counts Bit.Trip Runner2 is on sale at $7.50, it is among my GotY 2013 contenders and has a fantastic soundtrack, I strongly recommend getting it!

Toma

If it counts Bit.Trip Runner2 is on sale at $7.50, it is among my GotY 2013 contenders and has a fantastic soundtrack, I strongly recommend getting it!

Still waiting on the Vita version :mad:

Toma

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hmm, I see Fly'n being recommended, and while I love the art style, I had some really serious issues with the sing mechanic in that for whatever reason some of the puzzles requiring singing fails to activate, roadblocking me from progressing at all.

They might have fixed it since then, I dunno, I might have to try it again seeing that its been awhile.

Are these games we should wait for Daily/Flash deals on? I mean it can't get cheaper than $2.50... but it could be $0.99 on sale!

You just never know! Unless you NEED to play the game NAO!!!! you might as well wait until the last game of the Seal unless the game listing says the current price only lasts until before then.

crozier

Much appreciated. Already spied a few I'm going to take a hard look at. What are the chances of Valve doing an indie day with package deals and such?

EDIT: Eh, asking for deeper discounts on indies makes me feel kinda dirty. These guys are basically starving artists as it is in most cases.

maty

Great thread

Runner 2 (now on sale is fantastic game) much easier than the 1st one though

I'll probably wait for the last day and get Fly'n and Dyad.

Hopefully La Mulana gets a daily deal for 75% off. Also waiting for deals on Incredipede

I just played the Steam Pid demo and actually quit out of it before the end in order to leave more of the game for myself to enjoy when I actually buy it. Wow, what a lovely game. i has a new gaming beloved! If you haven't already, please do yourself a favour and try the demo. So good! :D

Cave Story+ - Price (-75% off)
ss_68f8531e30d2060be3473f75135f02f2b4bce722.1920x1080.jpg

Link
Originally developed by one man (Daisuke Amaya) Cave Story gained certain notoriety accross the internet. Released initially as a freeware the game received a "remake" by Nicalis but still retaining the classic visual and the amazing soundtrack.

One review called it "Spelunky in space".
Mmmm... no. There are similar elements but their application results in a very different feeling game. Spelunky is like a traditional platformer stuffed into a Rogue structure, while Cargo is a Rogue with platforming. The end result is that Cargo Commander is easily suited to short gaming sessions since the permadeath works in conjunction with the item collection/leveling, whereas Spelunky works better in longer sessions since there's a very specific goal+boss (yeah, there's all the crazy bonus stuff in Spelunky but that's more post-game).

Top Bottom