FUNDS CAN ABSOLUTELY BE ADDED TO ACCOUNTS
It literally just happened to my friend so stop spreading bullshit and damage controlling for valve.
he's wrong many people have had games purchased and I made it all the way to the confirmation page on another persons account without needing a password.
This seems really bad like the hacking of PSN bad.
i love how corporate apologists are still peddling their shit even in this situation
It is absolutely inexcusable that they haven't pulled the plug yet. This is completely incomparable to any of the high profile hacks we've seen in recent years. Fuck you, Valve. This is beyond uncool.
This a major fuck up as far as privacy breaches go, regardless of whether funds and CC's can be used or not.Once again.
NO ACCOUNT INFORMATION CAN BE CHANGED.
NO PURCHASES CAN BE MADE.
THE MOST PEOPLE CAN SEE IS YOUR E-MAIL, AND PURCHASE HISTORY.
Is it a clusterfuck? Absolutely. But aside from some random person knowing your e-mail and seeing that you've bought Hunniepop, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.
What we know so far
- Most likely an error in the way Steam caches pages.
- People are able to access random Steam profiles and see compromising information, account names, emails, last 2 digits of credit card, paypal email address, purchases, etc.
- No changes can be made to the effected account, no purchases can be made. Any evidence to the country is, as of yet, unsubstantiated.
- It's been advised to not access Steam URLs, including the client, until we have more information.
- Do not post account names you see, huge security risk.
I'll update this post with more information going forward.
From what I recall no ones information was actually taken, I don't remember a single thread saying they had money stolen. PSN was simply taken down and everyone was told to change their info, standard procedure for when security systems are compromised.