• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam security issue revealed personal info to other users on XMas Day (fixed)

i just looked at someone's account using google's cache..

sigh..

ldh81jn.png

Yep, definitely looks like a caching mess. Oh boy.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Steam is far far larger than 75 million accounts. It has at least 125 million active accounts alone and only Valve knows how many not active.

My bad. Just did a super-quick google and took the first reasonable number.

Steel

Banned
What is the most prudent thing to do at this point?

If you wanted to be as safe as possible you'd have to do the following:

Get your bank to stop all purchases coming in and out of your credit card.

Get a new email address.

Change your phone number.

All this being said, they really shouldn't be able to use your credit card without your CCV for anything buy social engineering. The other two.... Yeah, potentially breached.

I am really glad that I don't have my CC info on my account since there have been about 5 attempts at login on my account, according to Steam Guard emails. Definitely going to be interesting moving forward.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Do you have actually any proof for that.
It's a matter of who do you believe more. The few posters in this thread that have claimed they had unauthorized pruchases or saw address data, and that IGN guy that claims to be affected or Grief.exe

Paches

Was wondering why I clicked on a game and all the text came up in Japanese, Jesus Christ, must have had some dude's account.

yuraya

Yeah dismissing the fact that shit has been bought is stupid. However. Is the purchase going to *your* account if someone is buying it through your account?

If so, can't you just refund it easily thanks to Valve's new refund policy? Not defending them, this is a fucking ridiculous thing to happen and people should be pissed.

If that is the worst case scenario Valve will just roll back all purchases. They've done it before. I remember just last year during the sack of gems fuckup they rolled back a lot of stuff for many steam accounts.

Tenebrous

Why the are people making shitty jokes about this when people have gotten their card info leaked and used?

What are we meant to do - Sit here and fear the worst?

If my info has been leaked, then so be it. Until I know anything for certain, I just wanna guess at the freebies we'll be getting, and have a little chuckle.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
As a reminder, some transactions take a couple days to process. I bought Pac-Man CE DX a few days back and it only appeared on my statement last night. Make sure to cross reference your bank transaction history with the purchase confirmation email from Steam, before jumping to any conclusions.

I have 5€ being processed in my bank which my first reaction was it was about this, then I remembered "oh wait I bought Stasis for 5€ on GMG and it always takes a couple of days"

Smash88

Banned
It isn't that far fetched, but the problem is that when you're posting stuff second hand and you don't offer a source, no one has a chain of trust, and it creates panic. There's no doubt this is serious and if the payment thing is true then it's a big deal, but when you just breathlessly repeat stuff you see online you can contribute to miscommunication about what actually happened. My account is one of the ones that was affected by this, so you can understand that I'm nervous -- but it doesn't help me if I don't know what's going on. It's absolutely Valve's responsibility to communicate this to me, but in the mean time we should be vigilant about whose stories we choose to repost. This is much better because you have a source and you are being clear about it.

I know stump but I saw many posts popping up, I just wanted people to secure everything ASAP, so they would stay safe. I was just trying to look out for people on here and I got mocked.

IGN even confirmed it happening to one of their own.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190428683&postcount=1806

If you wanted to be as safe as possible you'd have to do the following:

Get your bank to stop all purchases coming in and out of your credit card.

Get a new email address.

Change your phone number.

All this being said, they really shouldn't be able to use your credit card without your CCV for anything buy social engineering. The other two.... Yeah, potentially breached.

Why would you get a new email address? Im confused.

Top Bottom