• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been playing a lot of Trails in the Sky lately. Had a hard time getting into it last year but I gave it another go and it's really clicking with me now. Very relaxing game to play at night, even if I don't make a ton of progress with my sessions. Think I'm near the end of Chapter 1 and it's quite good.

Adnor

Banned
Harder than the first one? Meh...

There's an easy mode, but I don't know if Vamphuntr was playing that mode.

The main reason the game is harder than before is because they changed how the status effects works. Now you and enemies have two new resources, Physical and Magical armor, which blocks some damage but their main effect is that they stop status effects like burned or stuns or poison, which means you can't start every fight burning and stunning and poisoning everyone and everything immediately, you have to break their armor first. This doesn't necessarily means the game's harder, but that old strategies don't work anymore.

Also when Larian designed the maps for the first game they didn't have the basics of the battle system ready, this is something I think Swen talked about in a video or in twitter, but because of that enemies in the first game were much closer together than in this game, which means that AoE attacks were simply too powerful. Now that they had the basics of the combat system ready before start working on the map and encounters they designed the maps with that in mind.

And lastly, this is still an alpha, the only people who have played and help balance the game until now have been Larian's testers, people who understand the system because they have played it a lot. Now that it's on EA Larian will have much more feedback to help balance the game.

Storywise, I must say that the simply fact that the game is between Beyond Divinity and Divinity II continuity-wise and they have a lot of references to Lucian, the player character of Divine Divinity, immediately makes the world more interesting to me.

kagamin

Been playing a lot of Trails in the Sky lately. Had a hard time getting into it last year but I gave it another go and it's really clicking with me now. Very relaxing game to play at night, even if I don't make a ton of progress with my sessions. Think I'm near the end of Chapter 1 and it's quite good.

Yay! We need more Kiseki fans like we need more IM@S fans.

Momentary

Banned
Was checking out Guilty Gear Xrd @ 8K resolution today. It's amazing how this game can run so smooth at such a ridiculously high resolution. The game is so clean it almost looks like a target render. Makes me want Revelator pretty bad. Arc Sys Work is slacking off again
Not really. They released a boat load of stuff this year.

29756042415_dd4de13e63_o.png

29756045415_73ea69c02b_o.png

DH pls stop. Just pls.
[...]
Storywise, I must say that the simply fact that the game is between Beyond Divinity and Divinity II continuity-wise and they have a lot of references to Lucian, the player character of Divine Divinity, immediately makes the world more interesting to me.

This is a good reminder for me to play the earlier Divinity games some time. Divinity 2 is as far back as I've gone, I think.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
That's how I broke it this time; I had it mounted under a frame that got knocked off the wall and hit it in the caddy, which bent it and now the controller won't sync.

Damn. I imagine Valve will give you another one, though. So it isn't as bad as it could be at least.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Shit, that sucks.

Last time Valve sent me a replacement unit express but I assume a few years from now when I'm on Dongle #40 they'll stop sending me free ones. And you can't buy the dongle separately. I'd just put it on one of my rear USB ports but the wireless range is garbage, and even with the extension cord the thing gives me a damn unignorable popup that says "Hey Your Signal Isn't Very Good!!!!" every 13 seconds even though I sit like 12 feet from the dongle because I guess my router being in the same room means it's a Steam signal dead zone?

Adnor

Banned
This is a good reminder for me to play the earlier Divinity games some time. Divinity 2 is as far back as I've gone, I think.

To be fair I haven't completed DD or BD, just Divinity 2. I binge read a LP of Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity once when I was in bed sick for a few days.

Those are good LPs if you want to know the story but don't have the time to play the older games.

I still plan to play them someday.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Last time Valve sent me a replacement unit express but I assume a few years from now when I'm on Dongle #40 they'll stop sending me free ones. And you can't buy the dongle separately. I'd just put it on one of my rear USB ports but the wireless range is garbage, and even with the extension cord the thing gives me a damn unignorable popup that says "Hey Your Signal Isn't Very Good!!!!" every 13 seconds even though I sit like 12 feet from the dongle because I guess my router being in the same room means it's a Steam signal dead zone?

Oh, wow. Yeah, there must be a lot of competing signals in your space. I can use mine from a room on the other side of my house and a floor down from the host PC.

If I remember correctly, I thought someone found pages to buy the dongle separately, so that may still be in the cards.

Ugh, I wish I could sell all these TF2 items I have. :X

Then I might be able to do something with them... or trade them for stuff.

Not enough card drops. :(

Tizoc

god

why the hell don't they leave the games industry and go work in the tech sector

Nobody cared about Digital Homicide after the Jimquisition eps. that centered on them, I don't recall seeing them pop up on gaming news either for the better part of a year.
While I can't find the video itself atm, I recall Jim made an 'anniversary video' about his DH vid from 2015. Some time after that DH started going into this spiral of madness.

This sounds like finger pointing, and I wish it wasn't, but had DH did go about doing what they had done in the past couple of months WITHOUT that anniversary video being amde I'd have been more sympathetic towards to Jim, for one thing.
As is though, it seemed to me like it ended up turning into poking a hornet's nest and DH are in the spotlight again.

Nobody cared about DH, nobody NEEDED to talk or care about DH again like it is now. Some things better be left alone.

Tizoc

Are there any chance for Forza Horizon 3 on Steam?

Mega Ultra slim imo.
Maybe after VR and Scorpio flop, MS realizes that they can make bigger bucks by selling their stuff on Steam as proper PC releases and then we'll see their stuff on there.
One can dream :p

Li Kao

Heresy.

Open Steam\resource\layout\gamespage_grid.layout and change the interiorspacing and GridView.DropShadowLeading values to -1.

Works perfect.

Thanks for repeating the tweak, I re-did it and yeah it seems to work. I think I was disatisfied the last time because max size is not without spacing. Well, that's some months ago, memory is fuzzy.

Mivey

Isn't that a bit of a retcon? I mean Source as a power is never mentioned in the later games, right? Seems a bit weird, for something so universally powerful.

Ludens

Banned
For Wok or anyone else who played Californium: I got stuck in the end of level 3, the symbol to leave the level doesn't appear. Is there a way to fix this bug?

Wok

For Wok or anyone else who played Californium: I got stuck in the end of level 3, the symbol to leave the level doesn't appear. Is there a way to fix this bug?

I did not play till that point, because I got the DRM-free game for free on the producer's website (they released an episode for free every fortnight) and then thought I would get to finish it only when I get the Steam version. Achievements, you know.

Edit: In retrospect, I should have gotten it with bundlestars.

Ludens

Banned
I did not play till that point, because I got the DRM-free game for free on the producer's website (they released an episode for free every fortnight) and then thought I would get to finish it only when I get the Steam version. Achievements, you know.

Edit: I should have gotten it with bundlestars.

This game is a piece of bugged garbage. The steam forum is plenty of people with this same issue. I read the bug triggers if you talk with a character while Alice is speaking, but restarting the game should fix it: it doesn't in my case, and instead of doing the whole chapter again I prefer to uninstall the game.

ModBot said:
Instructions for GoodCoffeeJoey:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (GoodCoffeeJoey, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

INK -- MB-5EA7F0FD81D83096 - Taken by Ben652. 3 entrants total.

t1474212118z1.png

Humble bundle extra, I had no idea owned this game already.

Thanks for repeating the tweak, I re-did it and yeah it seems to work. I think I was disatisfied the last time because max size is not without spacing. Well, that's some months ago, memory is fuzzy.
You are right, it can get finnicky with certain window and icon sizes. Gotta have to tweak. You can also change the icon sizes in gamespage_grid.layout
[...]
GridView.OriginalImageWidth "230"
GridView.OriginalImageHeight "108"
[...]
and even the brightness of installed and not-installed games.
[...]
GameItem_installed
{
alpha 255
}
GameItem_unInstalled
{
alpha 235
[...]

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You made me curious enough to try to find out what a YIIK was. After poking around on the website, "yiik" pretty much sums up my reaction. It looks like the distilled essence of hipsterism in RPG form, bleh.

Pretty much.

I can't even tell if it was self-satirical or not.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Cool! Building a PC is so fun. What kind of games do you like?

thanks! i used to work on cars a lot when i was younger and this is really recapturing a lot of what i loved about that. the planning, the physicality of building something, etc.

i am most excited to play sims like Planet Coaster, Civ VI, Cities Skylines & Stardew Valley. love the genre, but have been very limited in my ability to play them with my current PS4 / macbook set up.

Welcome aboard the Steam Train, Bones!

ayyy! what's up homie

thanks! i used to work on cars a lot when i was younger and this is really recapturing a lot of what i loved about that. the planning, the physicality of building something, etc.

i am most excited to play sims like Planet Coaster, Civ VI, Cities Skylines & Stardew Valley. love the genre, but have been very limited in my ability to play them with my current PS4 / macbook set up.

ayyy! what's up homie

Getting ready to put in a new graphics card, figuring out how to deal with the onslaught of Civ, Dishonored, and Planet Coaster in the coming months, and conspicuously little comic-reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom