• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Universe (beta) videos, impressions

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Did you actually get both of them? Because they did that to me as well, but cancelled one of the shipments before it actually reached me -- one of the boxes was missing components.
Yep. I actually received two boxes. (They arrived at my home address, so I'll be picking them up in an hour or so.) But I do have two. I'll know in a few hours if I'm missing anything in either package.

kinggroin

Banned
LOL. Valve accidentally sent me two Steam Machines.

I'll be shipping one back, obviously, but right now I feel like I won the double jackpot.

We've been friends forever. PC gamers in arms.

And you don't think to send me the extra one?? Dacvak, duuuude, what have I ever done to you?

Edit: and I'm sure Valve will appreciate more hands on videos impressions and feedback

raugupatis

Neo Member
Yep. I actually received two boxes. (They arrived at my home address, so I'll be picking them up in an hour or so.) But I do have two. I'll know in a few hours if I'm missing anything in either package.

Interesting. I'm curious to see if you're missing anything, or if Valve just made a mistake. Did they ship both of them at the same time?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Interesting. I'm curious to see if you're missing anything, or if Valve just made a mistake. Did they ship both of them at the same time?
I think so. Either way, I have both now. I've opened one, and it seems completely. I'll probably check the other one before I send it back.

The impressions on the controller seems quite negative and/or neutral about it at least from the ones in the threads provide by the OP.

Dacvak

The impressions on the controller seems quite negative and/or neutral about it at least from the ones in the threads provide by the OP.
Haven't tried any games yet (they're downloading) but the controller is definitely interesting. The haptic feedback is pretty awesome, to be honest. Just in using the OS, it seems like the controller is fairly capable. My internet here is crap, but the first thing I'm downloading is super meat boy. I'll probably be giving a lot more impressions tomorrow. And if there are any Pittsburgh GAFers who want to try it, PM me. We'll set something up.

Veal

Haven't tried any games yet (they're downloading) but the controller is definitely interesting. The haptic feedback is pretty awesome, to be honest. Just in using the OS, it seems like the controller is fairly capable. My internet here is crap, but the first thing I'm downloading is super meat boy. I'll probably be giving a lot more impressions tomorrow. And if there are any Pittsburgh GAFers who want to try it, PM me. We'll set something up.
Do you have hotline Miami? If you do, would you be willing to play it and post some impressions?

Corey also posted SS3 benchmark vid with docs.

also a short reddit thread with another guy, lloks like he's going to post a series of impression threads there

yeah, learning curve aside, it has sensitivity and thumb resting issues it seems. Maybe the learning curve could be made easier for some players if some games would have SC prompts instead of kb&m ones, I dunno. Though to be honest, to me, fiddling around with it is actually appealing.

edit: Valve put up on update:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse/announcements/detail/1927837135595731361

It’s really exciting to see all the unboxings and we’re already learning a lot from your feedback.

Today we’re shipping the Steamworks API that allows developers to add direct support for the Steam Controller to their games. That means we’ll start seeing games with direct controller support soon. In the meantime, we need your help creating and testing more “Legacy Mode” controller mappings.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think what Valve should have done when it became clear that sending out the Steam Machines to international users wouldn't be feasible within the desired time frame was manufacture additional controllers to send out to said users. I myself was interested in joining the beta more for the controller than the system itself as I already have a capable PC and I know I'm not the only one.

EVIL

I am wondering how many of the 300 lucky few actually posts online with their impressions. It only seems like only a handful are actually sharing their experiences. There should be way more right, then what are they doing with it?

I thought valves little trick with the 300 holes on top was pretty nice, it enables them to easily spot to whom the machine belongs to if any of the 300 puts one up for sale on ebay.

Nzyme32

Quick talk with one of the guys posting videos, Droobie, and he says he has had noticable lag and will be testing with a monitor to determine if it is the TV or controller

Hmm, I remember Gabe mentioning that Valve was focusing on low latency for the controller so there might be something wrong with his setup or his specific hardware.

U-R

From the thread title i though, for a moment, that Valve made its gaming related youtube replacement called Steam Universe.
Hint, Valve, Hint! Hint!

I am wondering how many of the 300 lucky few actually posts online with their impressions. It only seems like only a handful are actually sharing their experiences. There should be way more right, then what are they doing with it?

I thought valves little trick with the 300 holes on top was pretty nice, it enables them to easily spot to whom the machine belongs to if any of the 300 puts one up for sale on ebay.

Well, there could be many things

-not everyone recieved it. Looking at the steam group FedEx gets a lot of flack.
-maybe they're busy, it's weekday afterall.
-judging by a couple of posts, some seemed to have signed up blindly, and are still figuring out stuff
-maybe they don't want to make vids/posts are are sharing their experiences only to Valve through Atlassian or other ways

etc. I'd still give them time.

Hmm, I remember Gabe mentioning that Valve was focusing on low latency for the controller so there might be something wrong with his setup or his specific hardware.

Tommy R mentioned he had to turn on game mode on Valve's tv because of the lag. After that it was fine. It's very possible this is the case here too.

Nzyme32

I saw a picture posted of two of the testers on steam community forums who have just deleted SteamOS and ditched the controller, to use windows and a 360 pad. Kind of sad that they couldn't at least keep trying but I suppose at least the telemetry stuff inside the machine will record how the hardware does

Nzyme32

Not many people seem to like the controller at all.

That's pretty worrying.

Yeah it conflicts a bit with what some devs reported, but those guys had a valve employee with them to answer questions. The average user is given no instruction and has to wing it. Hmm, you'd have to trust that if it isn't salvagable, valve would do some redesigns, such is the point of the beta I guess

The devs and the press who tried it probably didn't spend much time there and yeah, they were at Valve to begin with. Not surprised the testers' reaction differ to theirs.

Not to mention there are some people among them who barely held a controller in their hands, it's going to be awkward as hell for them.

oVerde

Banned
Hey hey! I'm on mobile, can't see videos now, and want to ask, how is Steam Machine/OS holding against a same Windows hardware benchmarks ?

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah it conflicts a bit with what some devs reported, but those guys had a valve employee with them to answer questions. The average user is given no instruction and has to wing it. Hmm, you'd have to trust that if it isn't salvagable, valve would do some redesigns, such is the point of the beta I guess
Most of the complaints seem to stem from the actual controllability rather than just not knowing how to use it. That's what scares me. There's a difference between a controller being downright offputting and a controller just needing some time to get used to. Hard to say where the Steam controller lies without having used it, but I do get the impression that it might be a fundamental issue with the control scheme rather than just something you need to warm up to.

Hopefully some additional settings and support can iron things out, cuz I don't think a complete rethink of the controller is really on the cards. It seems that its supposed to be a pretty integral part of the Steam machine package.

I dunno. We'll see.

Nzyme32

Most of the complaints seem to stem from the actual controllability rather than just not knowing how to use it. That's what scares me. There's a difference between a controller being downright offputting and a controller just needing some time to get used to. Hard to say where the Steam controller lies without having used it, but I do get the impression that it might be a fundamental issue with the control scheme rather than just something you need to warm up to.

Hopefully some additional settings and support can iron things out, cuz I don't think a complete rethink of the controller is really on the cards. It seems that its supposed to be a pretty integral part of the Steam machine package.

I dunno. We'll see.

Yeah, from a research perspective, there is a lot that can be done on the software side with telemetry data as well to improve the dynamics of the controller that may make it more intuitive. I think whatever happens, for new users, that initial experience will likely be a make or break factor on purchasing decisions so it's important for them to get right

Edit: There is this tidbit too:
“If we find out that there’s a necessary change that means a radical redesign of the controller, we’re going to make that decision just the same way that we have with all of our other products,” Coomer said. “We may find that out. We feel confident that we’ve done enough internal testing to know that we’ve got a good platform and that we’re probably going to be enabling enough good experiences. People aren’t going to want to just throw it out the window entirely. But we think we’re going to learn a lot. We’re super open to that.”

This is what I think as well. They spent a lot of time on it, they went through multiple prototypes and deemed this as their best solution in the end. Can't imagine they'll radically redesign it, even if the majority will dislike it. Either this stays or nothing.

“If we find out that there’s a necessary change that means a radical redesign of the controller, we’re going to make that decision just the same way that we have with all of our other products,”

It's easy to say that, but so far they've been dealing with software, and their model really lends itself to it, but this is their first hardware inititative, there's a huge difference. Not to mention these products are supposed to ship next year.

Interfectum

Not many people seem to like the controller at all.

That's pretty worrying.

I'm worried about how comfortable it is to use. People say you have to get used to it but people also said that about virtual analogue sticks on iPhone. Even when you are used to those controls on iPhone they still aren't near as comfortable as if you had a controller instead. I hope the Steam Controller isn't the same way.

I'm not worried at all, to be honest. I expected users to struggle with games that seemed like not a good fit for the controller like platformers and strategy games. Instead it seems most of them are having problems with shooters, for which this controller seems ideally suited. This leads me to believe that the issues are mostly due to configuration and software rather than hardware. I watched all the available videos and I'm very optimistic.

I've seen the same section of Last Light four times already. Kind request to the uploaders, finish the tutorial and move to the actual game please :)

Dacvak

Do you have hotline Miami? If you do, would you be willing to play it and post some impressions?
Yeah, and sure.

I just got mine yesterday, and it does take a while for games to download. (I'm at a hotel right now with abysmal wifi, so I'm planning on going over a friend's house later today to download a bulk of games.)

My Steam account is Dacvak, if you'd like to look through my games to see what I have available to play.

For the first few days, I'll be using the Steam Machine as-is, meaning no dual OS. My Steam Machine has a GTX780 in it (not sure about the processor yet, but I'd assume it's the i5). After a week or so, I'll be really experimenting with multiple OSes, and maybe altering the hardware a bit. That's when I'll be playing things like Dolphin with it.

And just some quick initial impressions: the controller is crazy. Definitely an interesting concept. It really is a cross between a normal controller and a touch screen, but it seems like the haptic feedback will make the difference in game. Just going through the OS, though, it's really easy to navigate and even type.

One strange thing that I barely noticed is that the controller's haptic feedback seems to use, like, a static charge for the "rumble" effect. At least it kind of feels like that. I could be making this up in my head, but I feel like there's an ever-so-slight static charge sort of "zapping" my thumbs at all times. It's almost entirely unnoticeable, even if you're looking for it, so there's a chance that I'm accidentally making this up. I'm going to have some friends try out the controller to see if they feel it, too. Either way, it's not something that would turn anybody off. Just a little quirk I noticed. (I think.)

Later today, I'm going to take side-by-side pictures of the console and controller up against every other console and controller (PS4, Wii U, Xbone, 360, PS3, Wii U Pro, etc) for size and aesthetic comparison.

Also, this case is incredibly sexy and sturdy. Thick metal (steel I think) with a good amount of weight. The machine is absolutely silent, too. I think the Xbone is louder. It runs very cool to the touch, as well. (Though I haven't put it through its paces yet.)

And FYI for anyone wondering, I already returned the second Steam Machine they shipped me. :p

Thanks for the impressions! As for which games to test, first get some hours of practice with the controller and then go for variety in game genres. Try out Last Light and Serious Sam, some strategy and platform games, anything you think could prove to be a challenge for the controller. Also, try to record these games a bit further on, we've already seen the beginning of Last Light multiple times :). When you install Windows and dual boot, go for fighting games like Mortal Kombat, an RTS, maybe a multiplayer FPS like Bad Company 2. You don't have to do all that of course, these are just suggestions :) Have fun!

Cool. Looking forward to more.

I'm not sure if SteamOS is in a condition to allow dual-booting right now. You might have to wait with that. Or if you have a spare hard drive, put it in :p Corey set it up for himself that way.

Hmm, Dolphin should be interesting. Without Steam, the controller is basically a kb&m emulator. Do games in Dolphin support that or only controllers?

I see. This is what Hope said:

Hope explained that while Valve’s controller is obviously designed to work natively with SteamOS, it can also be detected as a traditional controller by a PC not running Steam but would have extremely limited functionality. “Steam constantly updates the firmware that is running in this device,” he said. “Even game by game, and eventually moment by moment, it’s going to be updating the code that’s running in the firmware. For that reason and a few other reasons, like updating configs and so forth, Steam is a required component wherever it runs, PC or Mac. Without Steam, if you plug this into one of those devices and run some game that’s not part of Steam, you would only get the most basic functionality. It wouldn’t actually be very valuable as a controlling device.”

“It would basically be a mouse with 16 buttons,” Coomer added.

Valve will also allow users to adjust things like sensitivity, which can be adjusted on a per-game basis in SteamOS. “On SteamOS, sensitivity is really easy to solve, because we can just change what the operating system’s sensitivity is on the fly, based on what you’re doing in a game,” Hope said. However, in Legacy mode or in Windows, sensitivity won’t be able to be adjusted. “Windows has its own sensitivity settings for input. The game has its own sensitivity settings, and our controller has its own sensitivity settings. We have to find this sweet spot where we’re averaging all three inputs into this spectrum,” he said. “It’s mostly solvable. There hasn’t been any game on Windows that we haven’t been able to play. But it takes a little bit more tweaking.”

I guess it won't hurt to try it though. So far we only have one vid with the controller in Windows.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/300beta/discussions/0/630800442986019429/

jmccaskey said:
You can use the controller on Windows or OSX, but we only have binding UI in Big Picture currently. So you have to go ahead and use Big Picture if you want to configure your bindings, once set and saved they will keep getting used if you launch via the Desktop client so you can later use it.

We will likely build something later to allow bindings to be configured in the desktop client, but that's todo since we are only shipping them with Steam Machines and expecting them to be used in a livingroom/Big Picture friendly environment for the most part right now.

OP still can't configure it apparently

A controller so different then what everyone has been using for the past 20 years will of course take awhile to get used to.

Seeing as how these are prototypes, I'm sure they will do any necessary changes here and there. From what I can tell, the main issue for me would be button placement.

sekrit

Banned
Also it's currently only working in "legacy mode" and not the native one where it can apparently emulate different control methods etc.

Dacvak

Just played a game for the first time. I started with Super Meat Boy and recorded my first time playing so you guys can see the realtime learning curve. I'll upload the video soon.

Dacvak

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Here's a video of me playing with the controller for the first time. I'm playing Super Meat Boy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZvD2AqVnn8

(Don't mind my baldness... I'm still recovering from leukemia. :p)
Why would we mind it? A lot of awesome people are bald.

I'm glad to see this. More options is better. Okay. Now, I need you to go ahead and get the bandage on level 1-18 for me. Mmkay?

Seriously though, I think the ultimate test for SMB would be for someone to complete the entire last level with the Steam Controller.

I really wish I could have been one of the recipients of one of these. I literally didn't match any of the criteria required for it. All I had to do to get a Cr-48 is fill out a survey for a sticker. Valve is so mean not giving me an expensive computer console for free. Boo, Valve. Boo.

I cannot wait to have one of these things. I cannot wait for all the different companies to start revealing their boxes next year.

EVIL

Yeah, and sure.

I just got mine yesterday, and it does take a while for games to download. (I'm at a hotel right now with abysmal wifi, so I'm planning on going over a friend's house later today to download a bulk of games.)

My Steam account is Dacvak, if you'd like to look through my games to see what I have available to play.

For the first few days, I'll be using the Steam Machine as-is, meaning no dual OS. My Steam Machine has a GTX780 in it (not sure about the processor yet, but I'd assume it's the i5). After a week or so, I'll be really experimenting with multiple OSes, and maybe altering the hardware a bit. That's when I'll be playing things like Dolphin with it.

And just some quick initial impressions: the controller is crazy. Definitely an interesting concept. It really is a cross between a normal controller and a touch screen, but it seems like the haptic feedback will make the difference in game. Just going through the OS, though, it's really easy to navigate and even type.

One strange thing that I barely noticed is that the controller's haptic feedback seems to use, like, a static charge for the "rumble" effect. At least it kind of feels like that. I could be making this up in my head, but I feel like there's an ever-so-slight static charge sort of "zapping" my thumbs at all times. It's almost entirely unnoticeable, even if you're looking for it, so there's a chance that I'm accidentally making this up. I'm going to have some friends try out the controller to see if they feel it, too. Either way, it's not something that would turn anybody off. Just a little quirk I noticed. (I think.)

Later today, I'm going to take side-by-side pictures of the console and controller up against every other console and controller (PS4, Wii U, Xbone, 360, PS3, Wii U Pro, etc) for size and aesthetic comparison.

Also, this case is incredibly sexy and sturdy. Thick metal (steel I think) with a good amount of weight. The machine is absolutely silent, too. I think the Xbone is louder. It runs very cool to the touch, as well. (Though I haven't put it through its paces yet.)

And FYI for anyone wondering, I already returned the second Steam Machine they shipped me. :p
Awesome, looks like we will get allot of info from you!

and lol @ the second steam box, a mistake I assume?

Top Bottom