• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Universe (beta) videos, impressions

deleted

Suscribed - I love the fact, that these machines will be as silent as the new consoles with this small form factor.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The Steam Machine prototype is a $1,300 gaming PC. That Valve just sent people for free.

Daaammmmn.

I'd pay $1,300 for one at retail though. Sounds about right for a gaming PC I'd want. Looking forward to CES and all the options we get.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Awesome, looks like we will get allot of info from you!

and lol @ the second steam box, a mistake I assume?
Yeah, they called after it was delivered and asked if I could ship it back (which of course I did). But I did test both systems, just for fun. They were identical.

God dammit the machine itself looks small. It really breaks my heart that Valve probably won't ever sell machines like that. Best bet would probably be that they sell the case itself.

The case is really slim and sturdy. It's almost the exact size of the Xbox One. I'll be taking comparison pictures against all the consoles soon, just to get an idea of its size. I also really hope they sell these cases. It's a really smart design, it's a very cool machine (as in temperature), and it's still pretty customizable.

The Steam Machine prototype is a $1,300 gaming PC. That Valve just sent people for free.

Daaammmmn.

I'd pay $1,300 for one at retail though. Sounds about right for a gaming PC I'd want. Looking forward to CES and all the options we get.
Yeah, that's exactly what I priced out the parts to, too. We've got a GTX 780, i5 4570, 16gb RAM, 1tb hybrid drive. It barely outspecs my current PC, which is 2x GTX 660ti SLi, i7 3770k, 16gb RAM, 256gb SSD.

I let my friend borrow the Machine last night in order to download a ton of games (the Internet at the hotel I'm at blows), so I'll have a huge arsenal of stuff to try tonight. If anyone has any suggestions for me, you can check out my Steam library (Linux only, for now) and let me know what to try/record.

I didn't mention this before, but it's worth noting that there was no perceivable latency. I'll be doing a real latency test later on (where I'll be comparing it to a wired 360 controller).

Now that the controller API has been released, I'm very curious to see how developers will use it. I expect to see mostly analog stick emulation but I'd love to see some innovative control schemes.

Hmm, I recall someone posting about the Titan model and another about the 760. Not sure though...

Also, I read some PC YT channels received units too?

I said that, because right now the controller runs in Legacy Mode, meaning it emulates kb&m. Games doesn't recognize it as a controller, but instead you have to select keyboard and mouse as input. With this game probably one trackpad would be AWSD, the other would be a mouse.

Valve recently made the controller API available for devs, so we might see specialized stuff for some games soon, but I wouldn't bet on From doing any.

Gangxxter

Dark Souls supports xInput, my main concern is how the second haptic "screen" works when emulating the second stick as well as the X Y A B at the same time.
That's not necessary. The right pad will emulate the right stick while the face buttons will be mapped to A, B an the two paddles on the back.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Stress test time!

http://abload.de/img/dsc_0782iijt7.jpg

Running Prime95 blended torture test for fun; the cpu fan at max speed is quieter than my gen1 PS3 at 1st stage cooling.

EDIT: After about 5 hours, the CPU is a little warm but nothing to be concerned about. I'm going to let it run all night, though I don't imagine anything will happen.

http://abload.de/img/dsc_0784c6fkk.jpg

I let mine idle all night (it was just downloading stuff) and it was still silent and cool when I woke up. I'm definitely impressed with how quiet it is. Maybe I'll make an audio recording of the SteamBox vs the PS4/Wii U/Xbone.

sorry for dp, this has more to do with SteamOS, but the testers are doing it, so...

adding non-steam games

scripts for installing other software (has Dolphin running in the 2nd page)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKCWDtU9JUM

Another update, I've managed to get Dolphin 4.0 up and running and it's nice and smooth.

I took a video of Wind Waker running pretty much topped out in every category and it doesn't skip a beat. I've detailed the install process at the bottom of my shared text file, forgive me if it doesn't make any damn sense as my cold meds are starting to kick in. I'll update this once youtube has finished my video upload (apologies for my shakey cam).

As a side note, Dolphin had some pretty extensive dependency issues that I wasn't sure I would be able to overcome. Luckily I managed to find all the packages it was requesting and everything seems well. I haven't tried to map anything to the steam controller so I'm not sure if that works. I suspect it may be easier to use a PS3 or 360 controller for the Gamecube/Wii games.

also

Trial by Game submitted an article to pcgamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/12/20/hands-on-with-valves-steam-machine-and-the-steam-controller/

and doing a live stream again, currently Typing of the Dead lmao

Yeah. It pauses when he types.

edit: not going to double post again, but added TBG's twitch channel to the OP too. Includes a coulpe of vids like Last Light eps, Sims, Spelunky and Starcraft 2.

Dacvak

Dacvak do you have a YouTube channel?

Yeah, it should just be named Dacvak. I think. Or GAFTunes.

It's in the OP. Interestingly enough the SMB video doesn't show up there though.
Ah, I think I have that video unlisted. I'll change that.

Typing of the dead? Is this even playable with a controller?
Unfortunately, that's not possible with anything but a real deal keyboard, which the steam controller can't replicate any better than an xbox controller (for actual typing).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Time for me to contribute something to this thread, specifically a couple of videos that I think haven't been posted yet.

Minecraft with the Steam Controller: http://youtube.com/watch?v=38GP2fDxgFw
This is exactly what I was waiting for. I hope this prompts Mojang to put in an optional controller optimized version of the UI for people with Steam controllers and even other controllers (Not the console UI) to make it a bit easier to play with. But it looks pretty good so far.

I don't like the outer ring being crouch because that's just going to be a problem when trying to escape in a heated battle. I'd rather we somehow set it up so the outer ring activates run (I hate that run is a toggle and can only be done in forward mode.) and have one of the back buttons or the triggers be Shift for crouching.

2014 is gonna be awesome.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, so far the controller seems to be working quite well with games designed for mouse and keyboard.
This is what I'm looking forward to the most. From what I can tell, the two touch pads act like two trackpads, and as long as they're not terrible at sensitivity and don't miss a lot of swipes, it might be like having two Magic Trackpads in my hands.

If only I could play with one right now. When I first saw it before anyone ever showed off how it worked, I was skeptical. But now I might just be a believer. Time will tell.

I still want to see a game that combines dual analog and face buttons. It could prove to be a challenge as you'd have to use the right trackpad as both a stick and four buttons, unless you assign the face buttons to the triggers and paddles.

Bydobob

God dammit the machine itself looks small. It really breaks my heart that Valve probably won't ever sell machines like that. Best bet would probably be that they sell the case itself.

I'm genuinely amazed at how compact and beautiful this prototype is with the specs and apparent customisability (Ifixit teardown). With this form factor at around the £1000 mark there will be many people reconsidering their next gen options. I know I'm one of them.

^^ Batman could be good experiment for that I think? Though I only played it with an X360 cont, not sure what the kb&m bindings are. On a phone atm, cba to look it up.

With Spelunky, on default the right pad acted as ABXY, and with the left back button pressed down it was a mouse.

Durante

I'm genuinely amazed at how compact and beautiful this prototype is with the specs and apparent customisability (Ifixit teardown). With this form factor at around the £1000 mark there will be many people reconsidering their next gen options. I know I'm one of them.
The really amazing part is that the only components which aren't off-the-shelf are the power button and the case. Any company could have built something like this at any point using standard PC components, but no one bothered to.

As good as Valve's Steam Machine is, I believe the company made the right call by not releasing an official one to market. Valve needs allies and the OEMs would not appreciate having to compete with Valve as well as with each other.

Dacvak

More impressions!

I just played about 2 hours of The Stanley Parable with the Steam controller. I played it on Mac, too. The controller was fine - just plug and play.

It was also the first time I used the controller with something other than Meat Boy. It took maybe.... 5 minutes to get used to it. Stanley Parable isn't an FPS or anything, but I found that I was controlling it just fine. It didn't seem worth recording, though.

I'll be trying out some actual first person shooters very soon, though. I can tell you this, the controller is absolutely capable of playing first person games very comfortably. Who knows how it'll affect my skill level in a twitch shooter, but I would imagine a lot of first-person games that don't necessarily rely on super fast shooting will work perfectly with the controller. Games like Mirror's Edge and Portal.

More impressions later. But I gotta say, I'm starting to fall in love with this controller. For real.

Edit: Also, I love casually browsing the internet with this controller. LOVE it.

Dacvak

Image updates:

Here are some quick pictures I took of the Steam Machine and controller compared to the new consoles and controllers.

Imgur Album

WDPpDeW.jpg

MDaxKUL.jpg

DXaESiJ.jpg

2wwEPF8.jpg

uQyeTIQ.jpg

owXfc60.jpg

0ajFK6L.jpg

10KvYXa.jpg

Durante

Nice picture comparison. It's amazing what kind of power they managed to put in a case which isn't really all that much bigger than PS4.

HariKari

Nice picture comparison. It's amazing what kind of power they managed to put in a case which isn't really all that much bigger than PS4.

I still wouldn't trust an Nvidia GPU with a stock cooler in such a small case. Stock fan profile is usually never good enough to keep it at acceptable temperatures. If anything comes out of this Steam machine experiment it will be a bunch of great small form factor cases and perhaps more efficient cooling solutions. There are some great ones out there from 3rd party vendors. It will be interesting to see if either AMD or Nvidia makes a model specifically meant for these cases (rear exhaust especially).

Durante

I still wouldn't trust an Nvidia GPU with a stock cooler in such a small case.
Actually, at this performance level, a 780/Titan level Geforce with a stock cooler is what I'd trust most. The Titan stock cooler is probably the best external exhaust cooler available, and that (external exhaust) seems crucial in this kind of case. I don't think anyone reported any difficulties with it, temperature-wise.

In a normal well-ventilated large PC case multiple axial fans are always superior, but for this use case the blower design seems better suited. And the Titan HSF is the best blower design I know of.

Dacvak

It's also worth noting that the SteamBox is significantly heavier than all of the consoles, mainly due to the thick steel case. That being said, it also seems to stay very cool, and it is extremely quiet.

As you can see, the form of the controller is pretty different than what we're used to. Let it be noted that it's comfortable as fuck, though. Feels great in my hands, but it's definitely a little too light at the moment. I'd imagine a wireless version with a battery would be much nicer. I love the haptic feedback, but I do with there were also a traditional rumble in the controller. (I'm pretty sure there's not, but I might be wrong?)

Impressions with Portal

Anyway, I played some Portal now. I found my biggest issue wasn't aiming, but was actually walking. You see, WASD is mapped to the left pad, and it presses a key when your thumb simply touches any direction; you don't need to press the pad down and make it click (that actually acts as a jump, which was pretty nice). However, I found that the slightest touch on the pad would end up moving me in whatever direction. I'm used to keeping my thumb resting on a stick, and while you can keep your thumb resting in the middle of the pad (there's a raised circle so you can feel exactly where to rest), my thumb kept accidentally touching a direction every so often.

I'd say after about 30 minutes, I found my thumb hovering over the pad when I wasn't walking, so the problem worked itself out. And thanks to the ridges on the pad and the haptic feel, it's pretty easy to tell when you're pressing it and what direction you're going. Still, I would much prefer if it registered as an analog stick. I'm not sure if there are any games that will do that with the controller, but I'm really hoping there are because I'd love to try analog with this.

Durante

It's also worth noting that the SteamBox is significantly heavier than all of the consoles, mainly due to the thick steel case. That being said, it also seems to stay very cool, and it is extremely quiet.
Is it really steel? I thought it was aluminum.

Top Bottom