• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sale 2016 thread of hoping for better deals elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear lord =/

I've put in 34 hours into Hitman so far, and to be fair that's with me only actually having mastered one of the episodes to max level, and I have done little of the user-made and escalation contracts.

So I could easily see 100+ hours in that game if you're a completionist.

You should see some of Bernardo's videos of HITMAN he posted in the HITMAN OT, dudes MLG and you can tell where the time went.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
-
KjAOaDf.gif
Happy Holidays to all! Hope you got cool games, and if not, hope you win cool games in a giveaway!
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bodyboarder, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sky Mercenaries -- MB-B1CB298885B1F119 - Taken by electroflame. 6 entrants total.

t1482726407z1.png

gdt

I bought mgsv and the beginning pissed me off so much. I lost count of how many cutscenes I skipped just to get to the gameplay. Then the first few bits of gameplay consisted of several segments of fucking slow crawling. Does it pick up soon? Should I stick through it? Is there a good game in there after all the bullshit.

The rest of the game is almost nothing like the opening cutscene/prologue mission . Complete freedom to tackle missions however you like. So you can slow crawl through a base super sneaker or you can go in guns blazing or go lethal panther style and sneak kill everyone. Whatever you want. You can take a position and snipe dudes from afar or you send in your helicopter to fuck shit up while you sneak.

Whatever man.

MUnited83

For you.
The hell.. I can only assume you play without markers and are super meticulous about mastering each level.
Not only that, I probably even invented some new ways of completing the levels :p
why would u play 600 hours of hitman lol
HITMAN is very close to being the best game that has ever existed for me. I loved Blood Money back in the day, and HITMAN 2016 is everything I wanted and dreamed of a proper sequel with the power of today's gaming machines. I play it, replay it, speedrun it, play user contracts, make contracts of my own, complete escalations make my own challenges, crazy runs , even being the first in the world uncovering certain easter eggs , or now recently go on some great screenshot hunting with the newly released free camera tool.

I will easily have over 1000 hours in the game by the time season 2 is out.

I wanted to fight my backlog in 2016, but Hitman came out and is 99% of what i've been playing this year lol. It's that damn good.

You should see some of Bernardo's videos of HITMAN he posted in the HITMAN OT, dudes MLG and you can tell where the time went.

:)

Grief.exe

I bought mgsv and the beginning pissed me off so much. I lost count of how many cutscenes I skipped just to get to the gameplay. Then the first few bits of gameplay consisted of several segments of fucking slow crawling. Does it pick up soon? Should I stick through it? Is there a good game in there after all the bullshit.

The first 30 minutes are pretty bad actually now that I think about it. The rest of the game is completely open ended and you are left to complete missions in whatever way you choose.

I'm assuming here, but it's likely very similar to Hitman 2016 in scope.

Santa got me a Steam Link. Does it work with Dualshock 4, and will it work well with a laptop? I read some reviews that say you need a powerful computer for Link to work well

GavinUK86

So https://uk.gamesplanet.com/ has Dishonored 2 and Watch Dogs 2 for $31.94. I don't know which to play first. Should I even buy Dishonored 2 right now (i7 3960x and a GTX 1070)? DOOM is pretty cheap too, but 80GB, gatdamn.

Dishonored 2 is the best out of the three, closely followed by Doom. Watch Dogs 2 is great too though. Dishonored 2 runs alright on my i7 2600k and a 970 now with the couple beta patches.

Freebie from Bundlestars mailout.

ModBot said:
Instructions for bobnowhere:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
-
KjAOaDf.gif
Happy Holidays to all! Hope you got cool games, and if not, hope you win cool games in a giveaway!
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Deep Dungeons of Doom -- MB-0C146DFCAA00CBE4 - Taken by PaulSane

There should be a part about items in there. Go in your Equip menu or your Item menu and bring the selection cursor to the item you want to modify.

You can change:
- Which powers are on each of the 4 slots (my table has them by name and ID for ease)
- How many stacks on each slot (1, 2 or 3... well ok, you can cheat and put more than 3 which is the max in the game normally)

If you want to cheat, you can also change the stats of the item, how many times it's been fused and even what the item is (the IDs are simple and linear)

Mind hooking me up with that table?

zkylon

zkylewd
Not only that, I probably even invented some new ways of completing the levels :p

HITMAN is very close to being the best game that has ever existed for me. I loved Blood Money back in the day, and HITMAN 2016 is everything I wanted and dreamed of a proper sequel with the power of today's gaming machines. I play it, replay it, speedrun it, play user contracts, make contracts of my own, complete escalations make my own challenges, crazy runs , even being the first in the world uncovering certain easter eggs , or now recently go on some great screenshot hunting with the newly released free camera tool.

I wanted to fight my backlog in 2016, but Hitman came out and is 99% of what i've been playing this year lol. It's that damn good.
actually my mind had completely forgotten about player made challenges and escalations and stuff

you've convinced me!

Hubble

So I finally have free time and looking for an awesome game to play. Anyone have any suggestions of must play titles that will grab you?

Recent games I loved: Lone Survivor, Hotline Miami 1 and 2, Super Time Force, Dragon Quest, Bioshock 1, Fallout 3 not 4, KOTOR, Metal Gear Solid 1-3, any online survival games like Rust, etc., but tried many.

I never have time to play a RPG like Final Fantasy X (loved it), but if anyone has a suggestion of a really good one, I may consider it. I haven't played one in forever and am thinking about it.

Thanks

Good for you, man. If you can get that much mileage out of a AAA game and still be having fun all the way, you shouldn't have any ragrets. Not even being sarcastic.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
So I finally have free time and looking for an awesome game to play. Anyone have any suggestions of must play titles that will grab you?

Recent games I loved: Lone Survivor, Hotline Miami 1 and 2, Super Time Force, Dragon Quest, Bioshock 1, Fallout 3 not 4, Metal Gear Solid 1-3, any online survival games like Rust, etc., but tried many.

I never have time to play a RPG like Final Fantasy X (loved it), but if anyone has a suggestion of a really good one, I may consider it. I haven't played one in forever and am thinking about it.

Thanks
Hard to make recommendations without knowing what you liked about each game.

Hotline Miami is a fairly unique package of ideas, so finding something similar may be difficult. If you liked the topdown shooter aspect, maybe try (and this is a stretch) Assault Android Cactus or Geometry Wars.

If you like MGS for the stealth, try out Invisible Inc. (turn-based) or Shadow Tactics (real-time) for topdown stealth and Aragami or Dishonored 2 for 3rd person stuff.

What are some of the best multi-packs you can buy? I bought the Mount Your Friends four pack for my girlfriend and a couple of buddies and I'm wondering if there are any others out there that are worth checking out.

Hubble

Hard to make recommendations without knowing what you liked about each game.

Hotline Miami is a fairly unique package of ideas, so finding something similar may be difficult. If you liked the topdown shooter aspect, maybe try (and this is a stretch) Assault Android Cactus or Geometry Wars.

If you like MGS for the stealth, try out Invisible Inc. (turn-based) or Shadow Tactics (real-time) for topdown stealth and Aragami or Dishonored 2 for 3rd person stuff.

True. I guess I am just looking for a game that is so good that it is a must play or grabs you from start to finish. I don't really care what genre. I play all. Thanks

vaderise

Thinking of pulling the Trigger on Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Any good? Run like crap? Inform me, GAF
Great game. As someone didn't like the 2013 reboot i enjoyed it a lot. Amazing setpieces, gorgeous locations and this time story is not terrible. Combat is a bit generic and kinda plays over at the end but the whole expetience is definetely worth it.
As for the performance it's a great port. Even looked and performed very good on my low tier laptop which doesn't even match the minimum reqs.

rtcn63

Thinking of pulling the Trigger on Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Any good? Run like crap? Inform me, GAF

Waste of money if you equate any sort of challenge with fun. RotTR on its hardest difficulty is 'very easy' in every other third-person shooter. Replay the original instead.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
A question for those that played OneShot: Is it "pretty good" or is it "Don't-even-wait-for-a-bigger-discount good"?
It's hard to say for each person, know it's about 4-6 hours for a single playthrough (but has a lot of hidden content and new stuff unlocks in New Game+ and has more than one ending), and I think has one of the most likable characters in a game and a world that's charming, a bit sad, yet hopeful. Lots of twist and turns, I thought it was worth the price easily (but I loved the original version, which this one is greatly expanded and built up from).

Here's a few songs from OneShot to maybe sway you:

https://youtu.be/e1mdxh953nE
https://youtu.be/XuAaJ3cYjAU
https://youtu.be/4vjILTNHbcI
https://youtu.be/4tFJWxc1a4o

Anustart

Anyone have recommendations for multiplayer game for me and my wife? Built our son a gaming pc for christmas, so now we have to ability to play with/against each other in something but I dunno what!

Skelter

Banned
Anyone have recommendations for multiplayer game for me and my wife? Built our son a gaming pc for christmas, so now we have to ability to play with/against each other in something but I dunno what!

Definitely Divinity if you like RPG's.

Anyone here play The Long Dark or Subnautica? Been playing a lot of Astroneer lately and I'm loving it but it's very very alpha so not much to do. I've been interested in those two games and just looking for opinions on them.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'll add this to this post on this page. I recommend more of you checkout OneShot:

OneShot

REVIEWS:

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5/5
OneShot makes players question the reality that surrounds them. Is it just a game or is there more to it? The commentary on player/game relationship is enough for a standalone piece, which we may very well write. OneShot pulls players in with poise and wit in a way most games can only dream of, offering up the best an adventure game can offer. With a character that can easily be understood and cared for, OneShot creates an unforgettable adventure while hiding secrets that could very well be missed. What awaits in OneShot is well worth anyone’s time.

Entertainment Buddha - 85/10
Beautiful Puzzle/Adventure with Unique Mechanics
OneShot gripped my feelings almost right away with its lead character Niko. Following this lost child through this dark, beautiful world led to some amazing fourth wall breaking puzzles. During the beginning, without direction, it is difficult to discern what you need to do, but hey it wouldn't be a puzzle game without making you think right?

Cubed3 - 8/10
There's very little that can actually be said about how brilliant OneShot is. Be sure to stay well away from streams or a YouTube playthrough before getting the opportunity to experience it. Just expect to be treated to a thoroughly wonderful tale. Definitely consider checking it out.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Recommended
This is an incredible game. I started it with no expectations at all (as I mentioned before, I can’t even remember why I’d flagged the game to look at), and have come away from it as one of my favourite games of 2016. It rather nicely book-ends the year for me with Pony Island, two utterly different games that both explore similar themes from extremely different angles. Completely charming, delightfully written, and extremely clever – stick this on your Christmas playlist.

COG Connected - 8/10http://cogconnected.com/review/oneshot-review/
A completely unexpected wonder. Its use of witty dialogue and strong focus on characters can easily rival that of Undertale. The story, though slowed somewhat by one or two finicky puzzles, will pull at your heart strings constantly. You definitely won’t want it to end.

NitroRad (Video Review)
I easily recommend the game to anyone who's been itching for more of that meta narrative after playing the likes of Pony Island or Undertale... Especially Undertale. I still consider OneShot to be one of the most powerful, original RPG Maker games I've ever played. And the remake only strengthens that bond between Niko and the player, making your decisions and uncertainties towards those decisions all the more taxing. (...) I'm only going to pray for the success of OneShot (to become the next Undertale).

This game did release before Undertale, but this remake is coming after. I also will throw out there the original has stuck with me even these years later, so has my personal recommendation as well. It never got the traction it should of gotten back when it released the freeware version originally, hoping with the game now being over twice as long with a lot of new stuff it might finally get the attention it deserves

Rizific

The rest of the game is almost nothing like the opening cutscene/prologue mission . Complete freedom to tackle missions however you like. So you can slow crawl through a base super sneaker or you can go in guns blazing or go lethal panther style and sneak kill everyone. Whatever you want. You can take a position and snipe dudes from afar or you send in your helicopter to fuck shit up while you sneak.

Whatever man.

The first 30 minutes are pretty bad actually now that I think about it. The rest of the game is completely open ended and you are left to complete missions in whatever way you choose.

I'm assuming here, but it's likely very similar to Hitman 2016 in scope.
ok cool, ill stick with it thanks!

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Merry Christmas GAF! Other than recovering from a stomach bug and chasing twin toddlers around the house it was a pretty fun day:) It's a little late but I thought I'd give some games away in the spirit of the season and because GAF continues to be my favorite place around. Can't imagine the world without it.

Happy holidays everyone!

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
-
KjAOaDf.gif
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dupy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Dishonored 2 -- MB-4AD84055DCDBEE25 - Taken by Anustart. 53 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Quantum Break -- MB-4CF2A2E5746EC895 - Taken by Drakhyrr. 26 entrants total.
HITMAN -- MB-0C8B73CD24FFBF89 - Taken by NoWayOut. 28 entrants total.
Owlboy -- MB-D5D04DE7D20496AB - Taken by Widdly Scuds. 48 entrants total.
Sonic 3 and Knuckles -- MB-C5A61834ED8C4EFD - Taken by Eila. 2 entrants total.
Sonic 3D Blast -- MB-9710134CAC3A7F2F - Taken by Greatest Ever. 1 entrants total.

t1482732264z1.png

Just remembered this cool gem. It's a really good roguelite space shooter. Also Toma-approved (lengthy detailed impressions)

Starship Rubicon - $3.99 (60% off)
A shmup lives or dies by its gameplay and Starship Rubicon just shines in that aspect. A varied array of ships are available to unlock, each with their own unique starting stats, weapon, special ability, and chassis shape. Swap out your laser for a shotgun, tri-blast, flamethrower, gravity gun. Imbue your ship with the ability to teleport, cloak, unleash a barrage of homing missiles. Equip enhanced shields, damage buffs, auto-targeting protection drones, additional armor, and much more. Thrusting between projectiles, boosting to outrun lasers and missiles, cutting the engine to drift forward while firing at pursuing enemies...the fast-paced combat is reminiscent of Vlambeer's sepia bullet hell Luftrausers. Rubicon isn't as frenetic or fast as that game, but the responsive controls and one-against-many dogfights offers a similar satisfying thrill, especially once environmental hazards like black holes and minefields start appearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom