• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sale 2016 thread of hoping for better deals elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibuki

Banned
I'm currently looking at INSIDE, Owlboy, Momodora, Virginia and Kero Blaster.

They all look great, but I don't think I'd have time for them all. :(

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm currently looking at INSIDE, Owlboy, Momodora, Virginia and Kero Blaster.

They all look great, but I don't think I'd have time for them all. :(
If it means anything, INSIDE and Virginia, I love them both but they're both pretty short, INSIDE is only about 3-5 hours long, and Virginia only about 2-3 hours long. I would recommend them both easily, though!

Ive considered hitman several times but the fact the game is always online and who knows what will happen to the game when squenix drops it concerns me. They are not quite konami level but squenix commitment seems unlikely.

Dragoshi1

Snagged the following so far;

Way of the Samurai 4- I don't know what to do in this one. I find myself always low on funds, and I never know where to go for story events. Kept getting my ass kicked by some dude who had to inherit a smithy shop until I cheesed the fight enough to beat him. Otherwise...I'm stuck. There's a contest/tournament set up in the Main Plaza, but nothing is happening.

Princess Maker 2 Refine- My favorite of the ones I bought so far. I'm absolutely addicted. I'm raising a classy young lady who mingles with the upperclass, but is a wiz in the kitchen. Every person tells her she'll be a good housewife. FEELING PROUD.

Why Am I Dead At Sea?- Eh...It's ok.

Stacking- Controls are bad, and the cutscenes get annoying quickly. Got it because I like Double fine games, but this one?....eh.

Mount and Blade Warband- STAR WARS MOD IS BEST MOD. Shame it crashes every 5 minutes.

Saints Row 2- A good time, all around. 100%ed it back on 360, can't wait to do it again.

Some RPG Maker Japanese Learning Game- Haven't played it yet.

Overall, good sales this year!

Ive considered hitman several times but the fact the game is always online and who knows what will happen to the game when squenix drops it concerns me. They are not quite konami level but squenix commitment seems unlikely.

It's not always online, you can play offline (and now you can even save your unlocks, I believe)

Ibuki

Banned
Inside, Momodora, and Virginia are only a couple of hours each. Single sitting or weekend games

inside you can finish in one sitting and it's really good

If it means anything, INSIDE and Virginia, I love them both but they're both pretty short, INSIDE is only about 3-5 hours long, and Virginia only about 2-3 hours long. I would recommend them both easily, though!

Well that is good to hear. I see so many people gushing about INSIDE.

You do realize it'll be several years before this happens, right?
It's been incredibly successful for them.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh hi Dupy

>_>

these master puzzles in Paint in Back tho, good lord

MUnited83

For you.

A second season is pretty much confirmed, and it's going to use the same executable, so the game is not going to go offline any time soon (even Absolution servers are still up to this day). They have also been improving the offline mode, I don't doubt we will see them patching it up for complete offline play if the servers close down one day.

Adnor

Banned
XqzlVb9.png

I hope this is good guys.

Thanks for the giveaway Dupy!

Does Valve remove cards you get from buying stuff when you refund them?

No but it looks like they increase the amount spent needed for the next one to compensate. I bought Arkham Knight at the start of the sale but refunded it to buy the premium version. I didn't lose any cards but I didn't get any when I bought the premium this morning when I probably should have as it was $9.99.

A second season is pretty much confirmed, and it's going to use the same executable, so the game is not going to go offline any time soon (even Absolution servers are still up to this day). They have also been improving the offline mode, I don't doubt we will see them patching it up for complete offline play if the servers close down one day.

I wasnt aware offline unlocks were possible now. Maybe I should play the whole series in my backlog first though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It was worse before the August election update when a few were unsolvable without outright guessing.

fuck off, what? no thats...no. no.

Are all of them fixed? That shit puts me off the game completely.

So what you're telling me is I should buy it when I get home from work tomorrow?

well yes, except for what I just said >_>

data

Just bought Blazblue Chronophantasma for 9 euros. Last Blazblue(and fighting game in general)I played was Continuum Shift EX on vita and I sucked pretty bad at it. Mainly bought it for single player content (Story mode, abyss, arcade, etc) and some local with my siblings, 9 euros is quite a bit for me since I'm still only a poor student so I hope I won't regret it lol.

Rhaknar

Nope, I'll take a look.

How is Hyper Light Drifter everyone?

its very good. kinda short tho. well not that short, its like 6 hours long, more if youre into collectibles and shit.

Oreoleo

I've gotten the same Holiday sale card all 4 days.

Same card, singular? You know you can get 3 per day, right?
Nope, I'll take a look.
That list of games you liked is pretty varied, if you go into Ys open-minded (As in, not expecting to be turned off by some weaboo moe crap- because there's not really any of that present despite surface-level appearances) I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. They are some seriously quality games. I liken them to what SEGA's take on 2D Zelda would have looked like back in the day. Similar formula but faster paced and a bit harder.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Merry Christmas GAF! Other than recovering from a stomach bug and chasing twin toddlers around the house it was a pretty fun day:) It's a little late but I thought I'd give some games away in the spirit of the season and because GAF continues to be my favorite place around. Can't imagine the world without it.

Happy holidays everyone!

Nice giveaway, Bernardo's post made me want to get Hitman, lol.

Snagged the following so far;

Overall, good sales this year!

Princess Maker 2 Refine- My favorite of the ones I bought so far. I'm absolutely addicted. I'm raising a classy young lady who mingles with the upperclass, but is a wiz in the kitchen. Every person tells her she'll be a good housewife. FEELING PROUD.

Please tell me more!

manfestival

I need opinions on
Gloria Victis
Planetary Annihilation
Castle Crashers(I loved the game on ps3 but I wonder how the community is for the game since I would like to coop with someone)

Teggy

A question for those that played OneShot: Is it "pretty good" or is it "Don't-even-wait-for-a-bigger-discount good"?

Hm...somewhere in between? I think it is worth it at this price, though. I'd say there is a good chance it winds up in my top 10 and I liked it better than Pony Island, as far as games that kind of mess with your expectations.

Now let me tell you about another game. Have you ever wanted to run really fast and jump through a waterfall hiding a cave opening over a beautiful green forest? Then Valley might be the game for you.

Definitely Divinity if you like RPG's.

Anyone here play The Long Dark or Subnautica? Been playing a lot of Astroneer lately and I'm loving it but it's very very alpha so not much to do. I've been interested in those two games and just looking for opinions on them.

I'd totally recommend The Long Dark, especially for only $10. As it stands, its pretty much just the sandbox mode and the Challenge mode which is basically the sandbox plus some kind of objective. I haven't played many other survival games so I can't say how similar it is to anything else, but the game has a definite sense of style and atmosphere that is top notch. What I appreciate most is how you don't really have any crazy zombies or hostile people in it- your survival is basically just surviving in the cold, the occassional wolf or bear attack and managing your hunger, fatigue, gear and so on. You'll probably die a ton early on in the sandbox mode but the permadeath is what makes that so much fun, especially when you get a good run going , surviving a little longer each time, exploring more of the environments. In the sandbox mode you definitely need to set little goals for yourself or else I could definitely see anyone getting bored pretty quick. The challenge mode gives you a little more focus, like trying to get to a mountaintop to fire a rescue flare in 2 days. And not having a map or compass makes navigating and exploring an actual challenge but also pretty rewarding.

The game has some rough edges and the developers have been working on the single player mode for a while now but what is there in the sandbox mode is pretty fun if you're into basically playing a game version of Survivorman

This Ember RPG I picked up ain't too shabby. Looks nice, plays aight, tuned tight (stunlock or die till you get good armor!), solid VA and writing, and only has a very long load in upon starting. Not bad.

Hubble

Anyone here play The Long Dark or Subnautica? Been playing a lot of Astroneer lately and I'm loving it but it's very very alpha so not much to do. I've been interested in those two games and just looking for opinions on them.

If you like those two games, try Rust and Ark. Online survival games with some of the best crafting mechanics in the genre. Highly addicting and a lot of good modded servers.

Sorry for the questions but how is Dark Siders? It's better than 2?

Lain

Rabi-Ribi is harder than I expected because of the bullet hell fights. I'm having fun with it and it's pretty cute but damn if the boss fights haven't been kicking my ass left and right before I manage to actually win.

kendrid

Banned

Subnautica is a fun exploring/building game. The story isn't much yet (although I haven't played since the last big update which supposedly added more). It's a fun game and worth the sale price.
Note that it is a dog performance wise. I have an i5 6600K/1060 GTX 6GB and it gets laggy once in a while. It is playable but not technically polished.

Gurnlei

qbI1s0l.png

Didn't get anything in the sale but received a gift this morning from a SFV friend. The co-op in this game is the best I've played in years - get it if you're looking for a game to play with a friend and like RPGs.

Teggy

Sorry for the questions but how is Dark Siders? It's better than 2?

I really liked 2 as it happens, but the original is a good Zelda-like.

So Trails in the Sky was removed from psn? Is there a Steam group for people who own games removed from psn?

Skelter

Banned
I'd totally recommend The Long Dark, especially for only $10. As it stands, its pretty much just the sandbox mode and the Challenge mode which is basically the sandbox plus some kind of objective. I haven't played many other survival games so I can't say how similar it is to anything else, but the game has a definite sense of style and atmosphere that is top notch. What I appreciate most is how you don't really have any crazy zombies or hostile people in it- your survival is basically just surviving in the cold, the occassional wolf or bear attack and managing your hunger, fatigue, gear and so on. You'll probably die a ton early on in the sandbox mode but the permadeath is what makes that so much fun, especially when you get a good run going , surviving a little longer each time, exploring more of the environments. In the sandbox mode you definitely need to set little goals for yourself or else I could definitely see anyone getting bored pretty quick. The challenge mode gives you a little more focus, like trying to get to a mountaintop to fire a rescue flare in 2 days. And not having a map or compass makes navigating and exploring an actual challenge but also pretty rewarding.

The game has some rough edges and the developers have been working on the single player mode for a while now but what is there in the sandbox mode is pretty fun if you're into basically playing a game version of Survivorman

Subnautica is a fun exploring/building game. The story isn't much yet (although I haven't played since the last big update which supposedly added more). It's a fun game and worth the sale price.
Note that it is a dog performance wise. I have an i5 6600K/1060 GTX 6GB and it gets laggy once in a while. It is playable but not technically polished.

I really do NOT like Minecraft. I'm pretty new to these kind of games. It's actually Astroneer that finally made it click for me. I like it but, like I said, not much content yet. Definitely up for something more of a challenge but not crazy.

Guess a few more gaffer opinions wouldn't hurt.

If you like those two games, try Rust and Ark. Online survival games with some of the best crafting mechanics in the genre. Highly addicting and a lot of good modded servers.

I actually have tried them. Not my thing.

Tapejara

I really liked 2 as it happens, but the original is a good Zelda-like.

So Trails in the Sky was removed from psn? Is there a Steam group for people who own games removed from psn?

Both Trails in the Sky games are still up on NA PSN. Maybe a regional thing?

Odrion

Banned
I'll add this to this post on this page. I recommend more of you checkout OneShot:

OneShot

REVIEWS:

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5/5

Entertainment Buddha - 85/10

Cubed3 - 8/10

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Recommended

COG Connected - 8/10http://cogconnected.com/review/oneshot-review/

NitroRad (Video Review)

This game did release before Undertale, but this remake is coming after. I also will throw out there the original has stuck with me even these years later, so has my personal recommendation as well. It never got the traction it should of gotten back when it released the freeware version originally, hoping with the game now being over twice as long with a lot of new stuff it might finally get the attention it deserves
I'm two hours in and I find the game to be dreadfully dull. It's just a bunch of bad adventure game puzzles in an RPG Maker engine with a layer of "meta-ness" on top of it. v(o_o)v

Maybe things take off once I solve this next puzzle? But I've been saying that to myself at every puzzle so far, and now I'm a couple minutes from being unable to return it and I've spent the last ten minutes re-searching every building for anything that could solve my current puzzle, and doing that fucking suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

kendrid

Banned
I really do NOT like Minecraft. I'm pretty new to these kind of games. It's actually Astroneer that finally made it click for me. I like it but, like I said, not much content yet. Definitely up for something more of a challenge but not crazy.

Guess a few more gaffer opinions wouldn't hurt.

The building is nothing like Minecraft. You scavenge to build a base and expand it. The main exploring is to find supplies to build better weapons and gear and eventually your bases. There are some nasty alien fish you need to fight (and collect).

The building part of the game is you finding the materials to add on to your base. Adding on is simply selecting the item and positioning it. It isn't block by block and you can't dig.

Sarcasm

Long Dark probably has more replay-ability, while Subnautica is great.
Coming from a guy where minecraft puts me to sleep -.-

ARk/Rust is...typical of that genre.

Skelter

Banned
The building is nothing like Minecraft. You scavenge to build a base and expand it. The main exploring is to find supplies to build better weapons and gear and eventually your bases. There are some nasty alien fish you need to fight (and collect).

The building part of the game is you finding the materials to add on to your base. Adding on is simply selecting the item and positioning it. It isn't block by block and you can't dig.

I know that, I mean I don't like builders similar to Minecraft or Terraria.

Anustart

Subnautica have controller support yet?

Playing dark souls 3 that I just bought. Glad to be returning to the series. Already loving it. The exploration, fighting, everything is just so good. Might be my favorite game series ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom