• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sale 2016 thread of hoping for better deals elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely Divinity if you like RPG's.

Anyone here play The Long Dark or Subnautica? Been playing a lot of Astroneer lately and I'm loving it but it's very very alpha so not much to do. I've been interested in those two games and just looking for opinions on them.
Subnautica is more in the vein of Astroneer than Long Dark. The Long Dark is bleak man vs nature survival where you need to worry about keeping your clothes dry and not getting frostbite and all that. Subnautica has modular base building, needing to manage your oxygen and create pipelines, and gradually building better gear and vehicles to explore deeper and longer

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Paint it Back? More like Paint it Crack M I rite?

Skelter

Banned
Subnautica is more in the vein of Astroneer than Long Dark. The Long Dark is bleak man vs nature survival where you need to worry about keeping your clothes dry and not getting frostbite and all that. Subnautica has modular base building, needing to manage your oxygen and create pipelines, and gradually building better gear and vehicles to explore deeper and longer

That seals it for me. I have to listen to the MiB.

EDIT: I'm weak.

2jD9Mgz.jpg

Teggy

Both Trails in the Sky games are still up on NA PSN. Maybe a regional thing?

Ok weird, someone said in an earlier post that they were gone, and I did a quick search under "Trails" and they didn't come up, but I searched under "Legend of heroes" and they are there.

Teggy

I'm two hours in and I find the game to be dreadfully dull. It's just a bunch of bad adventure game puzzles in an RPG Maker engine with a layer of "meta-ness" on top of it. v(o_o)v

Maybe things take off once I solve this next puzzle? But I've been saying that to myself at every puzzle so far, and now I'm a couple minutes from being unable to return it and I've spent the last ten minutes re-searching every building for anything that could solve my current puzzle, and doing that fucking suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

If you don't like it in the first 2 hours it's not going to change.

I stopped playing Valley because my wife wanted to watch Doctor Who and then she fell asleep 20 minutes in :/

Looking at a Steam Controller... for one, you can't order more than one (it says "already in cart"), and if I do add a bundle with a controller it gives double shipping fees.

Seems to be a shoddy system for physical items. :<

Anyone have any experience with that part of the store?

illusionary

Merry Christmas GAF! Other than recovering from a stomach bug and chasing twin toddlers around the house it was a pretty fun day:) It's a little late but I thought I'd give some games away in the spirit of the season and because GAF continues to be my favorite place around. Can't imagine the world without it.

Happy holidays everyone!

Amazing giveaway - thanks!

Sydle

Bought ABZU, Deus Ex MD, Firewatch, and Prince of Persia 2008.

Still thinking over a few others such as Momodora, Cave Story, and Owlboy.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Just beat Inside. What a trip. I didn't realize it would become
Akira
at the end. I don't think I have laughed so hard at the end reveal of a game before. Stellar art, though.

neonglow

Here's a cute tower defense game.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
-
KjAOaDf.gif
Happy Holidays to all! Hope you got cool games, and if not, hope you win cool games in a giveaway!
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1327429.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (neonglow, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

header.jpg

Tiny Guardians -- MB-F80DCF10887CD9A1 - Taken by PaulSane. 3 entrants total.

t1482728977z1.png

Sora_N

I'm so tempted to buy Clannad, but will it ever go cheaper than the current price and @ 50% off? Lol.

I could really just get the side games since they're much cheaper.

data

I'm so tempted to buy Clannad, but will it ever go cheaper than the current price and @ 50% off? Lol.

I could really just get the side games since they're much cheaper.

I'm still waiting for The Fruit of Grisaia to go more than 50% off. It's been a really long while. Both are by Sekai Project so you might be waiting a long while for Clannad too.

Sora_N

I'm still waiting for The Fruit of Grisaia to go more than 50% off. It's been a really long while. Both are by Sekai Project so you might be waiting a long while for Clannad too.

Damn, I might have to cave soon then. Will think about it.

Hubble

I really do NOT like Minecraft. I'm pretty new to these kind of games. It's actually Astroneer that finally made it click for me. I like it but, like I said, not much content yet. Definitely up for something more of a challenge but not crazy.

Guess a few more gaffer opinions wouldn't hurt.

I actually have tried them. Not my thing.

If it's not your thing, then it's not your thing but there is a huge learning curve. Once you pass it, it is hugely rewarding. It can be extremely difficult to start and to figure out things. Another tip is try playing with others who know a lot about the game. I have all of those including Subnautica, and The Long Dark, and I find Rust, Ark, H1Z1 Just Survive 10 times better, more in-depth, and way more to offer. I do like Subnautica way better than The Long Dark.

Kard8p3

How is dead by daylight and Astroneer? I bought Astroneer already but stopped playing just shy of 2 hours in case I decide to refund it. I'll be honest I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to do, simply explore and fuck around on the various planets? It seems fun from what I've played I just want to make sure this is a game that doesn't get boring incredibly fast. I'll also say I bought (and refunded) NMS on the PS4, so I have been looking for something to fill that hole.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Can anybody recommend some really good story rich games?

How about any really good JRPG besides Final Fantasy games?

Story rich is easily EASILY Witcher 3 if you haven't already gotten it.

The other suggestion of Mass Effect is also pretty good.

Other than that....Grandia 2 is kind of by the numbers, but it had a lot of heart and I really liked it.

Sarcasm

2jD9Mgz.jpg

Both are good, do not worry!

I can tell you the ARK/Rust, I played them and enjoyed them but the longevity for me died pretty quick when it turned into grinding with the oddball social interaction every once & while.

How is dead by daylight and Astroneer? I bought Astroneer already but stopped playing just shy of 2 hours in case I decide to refund it. I'll be honest I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to do, simply explore and fuck around on the various planets? It seems fun from what I've played I just want to make sure this is a game that doesn't get boring incredibly fast. I'll also say I bought (and refunded) NMS on the PS4, so I have been looking for something to fill that hole.

Astroneer has a road map like Subnautica, https://trello.com/b/UoZgKrd3/astroneer-road-map-planning

NMS recently got a big content update, like base building and other stuff.

I can't comment on DbD though sorry.

Skelter

Banned
If it's not your thing, then it's not your thing but there is a huge learning curve. Once you pass it, it is hugely rewarding. It can be extremely difficult to start and to figure out things. Another tip is try playing with others who know a lot about the game. I have all of those including Subnautica, and The Long Dark, and I find Rust, Ark, H1Z1 Just Survive 10 times better, more in-depth, and way more to offer. I do like Subnautica way better than The Long Dark.

I played Ark/Rust with friends who are really into those two games. I just don't care about zombies or huge online components to them. I just wanna zone out and not get too crazy like in Ark.

Yakkue

Started Dragon Quest Heroes and it is really fun, I wish I had more time off so I could sink myself into it.

Gotta love Symphonia's save point design.

Spent 45 minutes in a dungeon without finding one and then the game crashed.

That sounds extremely annoying, I hate when that happens.

Anyone have recommendations for multiplayer game for me and my wife? Built our son a gaming pc for christmas, so now we have to ability to play with/against each other in something but I dunno what!

That depends: What kind of genres do you both enjoy?
In general I think Don't Starve Together, Portal 2, Torchlight 2, Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed, Civilization V(I), Endless Legend or Grim Dawn might work for you two :)

Other than recovering from a stomach bug and chasing twin toddlers around the house it was a pretty fun day:)

Hope you'll feel better soon!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Finished Shantae Half-Genie Hero. Was a fun ride even if somewhat short. Now wait for Risky Boots Mode

Story rich is easily EASILY Witcher 3 if you haven't already gotten it.

The other suggestion of Mass Effect is also pretty good.

Other than that....Grandia 2 is kind of by the numbers, but it had a lot of heart and I really liked it.

Unfortunately I already have Mass Effect and Witcher :p Though I have yet to play through the DLC of Witcher yet, though i bought it a long time ago.

I still havent beaten Grandia 1 so ive been holding off on it.

I received an Xbone pad with bluetooth and finally got it connected to my Steam Link. I have windows set to automatically log me in, with wake on Lan enabled so that I can start my PC with my Xbox controller via Steam Link without leaving my room. However, I'm stuck at one step ruining my perfect plan: I can't log into my Steam account.

I have my account and my girlfriend's account on the PC, so when I set Steam and big picture mode to log in automatically, it gets stuck at the account selection screen on my PC in the other room. Is there a way to either:

A) stream the account selection screen on the Steam Link, so that I may log in automatically? Or

B) make my account the one that always logs in and begins streaming?

Pls Gaf

(I reposted this from a dedicated thread I made because only 3 people responded there)

Eila

Ok weird, someone said in an earlier post that they were gone, and I did a quick search under "Trails" and they didn't come up, but I searched under "Legend of heroes" and they are there.

Both Trails in the Sky games are still up on NA PSN. Maybe a regional thing?

I believe the original Trails in the Sky is removed from the European PSN store. It was published by Ghostlight there 5 years ago so it's probably due to that.

I just started the original Call of Duty and it absolutely fucked my monitor's gamma and it's still fucked after I quit the game. I have no idea how to reset it.

Merry Christmas GAF! Other than recovering from a stomach bug and chasing twin toddlers around the house it was a pretty fun day:) It's a little late but I thought I'd give some games away in the spirit of the season and because GAF continues to be my favorite place around. Can't imagine the world without it.

Happy holidays everyone!
Muchos grassy ass! Can't wait to try Sonic

Eila

Makes sense. Five years seems like the usual time for licenses to expire.

Yup. As I understand the likelihood of putting it back on the store isn't too good, but it'll remain available in NA PSN & you should be playing the PC version anyway.

Teggy

Yup. As I understand the likelihood of putting it back on the store isn't too good, but it'll remain available in NA PSN & you should be playing the PC version anyway.

I played the first on Vita, no regrets :) I'll play the second on Vita too. Bought it full price on release and have been letting it age like a fine wine on my memory card for whatever reason.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
these master puzzles are breaking my brain

also lol at seeing a PM, getting excited for modbot dupy winnings, but it was xeris talking about paint it back >_>

I hate you xeris

Unicorn

Had the urge to get grow up and abzu as I loved journey and grow home.

Instead I bought a game off their wishlist for each of my friends. Feels good, but I did also put those games at the top of my list. Gotta keep it subtle.

kagamin

I played the first on Vita, no regrets :) I'll play the second on Vita too. Bought it full price on release and have been letting it age like a fine wine on my memory card for whatever reason.

So... are you planning on playing The Third then? :p

Is Arkham Knight worth buying now? It's only $6 and the current reviews on Steam are "Very Positive". I thought they abandoned fixing it up but people are saying it's been fixed to an ok state now. Has anyone played it recently?

Eila

Well, it's all there, but the PSP versions have outdated translations, and were obviously scaled down graphically. The PC versions recently included a patch to fast forward S-Crafts, so that's pretty cool, too.

2jD9Mgz.jpg
Nice, both are great. Honestly those two are my favorites in the survival genre

I made a thread about Subnautica a while back, a lot of impressions from GAF there
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1197498

The Long Dark is the polar opposite, pun intended. It's perhaps the purest and most realistic of the genre, outside of simulation/roguelikes, and the strongest gamification of man vs nature I've seen yet. The dangers aren't mobs. It's getting lost in a blizzard, it's freezing to death from hypothermia, it's falling through thin ice. Just surviving a harsh night feels satisfying. The latest update added a ton, such as frostbite and a layered clothing system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom