• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sale 2016 thread of hoping for better deals elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

8c9562087850f4f0bc5cbb073e2207e75cb016d7b1632800db3e36c8e85d79d2.jpg
Y'all should get this free game off GOG. Really funny and light PnC Adventure game with a fantastic soundtrack
http://www.jameswoodcock.co.uk/cont...-a-steel-sky-enhanced-soundtrack-for-scummvm/

I'm considering buying Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. What say you, steamgaf? Worth it? Not worth it? Does it need extensive patching to make it work optimally?

All I've heard is praise for the game, mainly from the dialog and writing. Get it if you like Computer RPG with good emphasis on that.

I may have gone a little indie crazy this sale. Shout out to the hidden gems thread for pointing out most of these to me:

The Sea Will Claim Everything
Why Am I Dead At Sea
Refunct
Downwell
Outcast 1.1
Hand of Fate
Pharaoh Rebirth+
Master Spy
SanctuaryRPG: Black Edition
The Age of Decadence
The Cat Lady
Castle In The Darkness
Risk of Rain
Zeno Clash
TRANSFORMERS: Devastation
INSIDE

damn, this mod

They're really killing it, to the point that I feel like I should donate to their project.

Tizoc

You're making me regret not buying last week. I know I got Melty (GOAT fighter) but AH looks pretty darn fun.

You still chose wisely IMO
zMaiTOs.png

Just curious: why is the screen ratio in those anime fighting games usually 4:3?

Because of the hardware they were originally released on. Melty Blood for example had its base game re-released when it got rebalances etc.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm about to refund Gungeon for being buggy with controller support. It keeps dropping my controller connection. I'm using it on my GPD Win, Xbox 360 controller mode. Ridiculously annoying and makes the game completely unplayable.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Just curious: why is the screen ratio in those anime fighting games usually 4:3?
For Melty Blood case I believe it has to do with it being a PS2 era game. The others might be a mix of that plus reusing assets and code to move development quickly.

Kaleinc

Banned
damn, this mod
Well it's ok but textures don't stay true to the original. Like small bricks in the upper central part of the first image are substituted for by large bricks in HD mod.
Pic.2 - the painting in the distance is completely different etc. I understand it may be very hard or even impossible to make lossless recovery but the end result may be too far from RE4.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You're making me regret not buying last week. I know I got Melty (GOAT fighter) but AH looks pretty darn fun.

opposite for me, im leaning heavily on Melty. The others are too close to 20€ for my wallet, but Melty is 13.50 or whatever and thats a little more manageable

I may have gone a little indie crazy this sale. Shout out to the hidden gems thread for pointing out most of these to me:

Why Am I Dead At Sea
Refunct
Downwell
Outcast 1.1
Hand of Fate
Pharaoh Rebirth+
Master Spy
SanctuaryRPG: Black Edition
The Age of Decadence
The Cat Lady
Castle In The Darkness
Risk of Rain
Zeno Clash
TRANSFORMERS: Devastation
INSIDE
An excellent collection there!

And same, that thread is invaluable during these sales. Pointed me towards all these this sale:

The Count Lucanor
Orwell
Why Am I Dead At Sea
Ys The Oath in Felghana
Ys Origin
Massive Chalice
VA-11 HALL-A

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm considering buying Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. What say you, steamgaf? Worth it? Not worth it? Does it need extensive patching to make it work optimally?
i don't think it did, there's probably an unofficial patch or something, but it's not a skyrim situation or whatever

i like arcanum a lot, it's got a really interesting world and some really good quests. it's also got like pretty fucking huge cities, which is THE BEST for classic crpgs

it's a super duper classic rpg tho, so know what you're getting into

Vazra

opposite for me, im leaning heavily on Melty. The others are too close to 20€ for my wallet, but Melty is 13.50 or whatever and thats a little more manageable

The thing is that I want most of the 2D fighters out there. I dont regret refunding Blade Arcus tho. That had to be the most boring game Ive played this year.

Anteater

Well it's ok but textures don't stay true to the original. Like small bricks in the upper central part of the first image are substituted for by large bricks in HD mod.
Pic.2 - the painting in the distance is completely different etc. I understand it may be very hard or even impossible to make lossless recovery but the end result may be too far from RE4.

yeah i noticed that too, guess they couldn't find the original textures so they have to resort to using their own, a lot of textures are really faithful to the original though that I don't know they did it, so I'm not complaining, another option is leaving those textures the way they were but it would look jarring

Tizoc

Quicky giveaway
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Deep Dungeons of Doom -- MB-0E87E91318F53418 - Taken by Fitz

I'm about to refund Gungeon for being buggy with controller support. It keeps dropping my controller connection. I'm using it on my GPD Win, Xbox 360 controller mode. Ridiculously annoying and makes the game completely unplayable.

Ive never had a problem with controller support. Ive used Ps4, XBONE and 360 to test.

Now is the time to buy the Transformers games, right? I'm eyeing up Devastation, War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron. I've skipped the DLC for the last one as it looks like it's all multiplayer stuff.

So far all I've picked up is Steamworld Heist. Looking at the some other things, a lot of the games I'd like to pick up are newer and still pricey, like Tyranny.

Is Earthlock any good? The GAF OT was barren so I'm guessing it isn't all that great.

A turn based RPG that isn't fantasy/anime would be pretty neat. Liking what I'm playing of Steamworld so far, so any suggestions similar that game would be great. :)

Kifimbo

Also got this from Bundle Stars. It needs a home.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Deep Dungeons of Doom -- MB-888E68052673423E - Taken by Greatest Ever

Man was hoping for a slightly larger sale with the Total War: Warhammer game. Even more so considering how much DLC they put out already.

Yeah that's been the general response in this thread. Between the main game and the Wood Elves DLC, it's still over $60.

I'm gonna wait until they have a Complete or Gold Edition out, with all the DLC, and grab that in a sale.

Bit of a bummer since it looks like a great game to play, but I have a ton of great games to play in the meantime.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yeah that's been the general response in this thread. Between the main game and the Wood Elves DLC, it's still over $60.

I'm gonna wait until they have a Complete or Gold Edition out, with all the DLC, and grab that in a sale.

Bit of a bummer since it looks like a great game to play, but I have a ton of great games to play in the meantime.

Seems like that will be the plan for myself also. Still need to repair the god box otherwise I wouldnt be able to play it anyways lol

Skii

Man I don't know what to get in this sale.

I like RPGs/JRPGs and novel/puzzle games like Zero's escape. Seems like my queues just have generic AAA rubbish or games that don't interest me.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Fitz

Looking for some games to play on my couch. Been playing lots of Sid Meier's pirates. Game is a joy with a steam controller

Been playing Shantae and Grow Home past few days, Grow Home is especially pleasing. Going back to finish Pillars of Eternity in the near future which iirc has an official config.

Vazra

Looking for some games to play on my couch. Been playing lots of Sid Meier's pirates. Game is a joy with a steam controller

Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight
Cally Caves 3
Cally Trials
Shantae Pirate's Curse
Shantae Half-Genie Hero

Any quick words on the new Shadow Tactics game for the completely uninitiated? How hardcore is it?
Thank you! :)

It can be pretty hardcore, but you can quicksave and quickload all you want (at least on the medium difficulty setting)
Really similar to the Commandos games (or Desperados) though I think it's a bit more forgiving than those titles were.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Does anyone have an Ori coupon? When does it expire, I still have to sell some cards to get enough money :p

Quote to reveal my Steamid.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Does anyone have an Ori coupon? When does it expire, I still have to sell some cards to get enough money :p

Quote to reveal my Steamid.

It's good until the 5th and Steam being Steam, you can't use it until it's not on sale (even though 75% off is better than 50% off).

PaulSane

Happy holidays! I've already given away all of my codes for higher-profile games in the past months, so i guess these will have to do :)

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

DISTRAINT -- MB-271FFD10DCFC7A10 - Taken by Hakkelus. 6 entrants total.
Hitman: Codename 47 -- MB-92158319014F450C - Taken by Nudull. 10 entrants total.
Predator Simulator -- MB-6B5E60595BBC1248
Unforgiving Trials: The Darkest Crusade -- MB-E0D52C570BAE6AA0 - Taken by dot. 1 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Limbo was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1482859910z1.png

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Really? So the coupon won't supersede the sale? Dumb. It'd be funny if it expired on the 1st ;)

And it won't even give a readable error, just an N/A. You'll have 3 days to use it assuming they don't leave it on sale. It's super dumb.

I can't believe how good SOMA is. 6 hours in now I especially like that there isn't a monster chasing you constantly. That made me stop playing Alien Isolation. There is more exploring and puzzle solving than running and hiding. Also looks really good.

You'll be in for a ride. The ending still sticks with my until today.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Devil Daggers brings out the most visceral groans out of me ;_;

Received an Xbox Elite controller for Christmas. Was hoping to pair it to my new PC via Bluetooth to play wirelessly, but it doesn't seem to be connecting.

I'm running Win 10, so I thought the controller connected that way. Hmm.

Gotta investigate. Definitely hoping it connects to my Steam Link when it shows up tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom