• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sale 2016 thread of hoping for better deals elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielsan

Trying to decide between Axiom Verge and Hyper Light drifter. What do you guys think? I love Zelda and Metroid equally, so knowing that one is a Metroid-like game and the other a Zelda-like game doesn't really push me in any direction.

Metroid

Trying to decide between Axiom Verge and Hyper Light drifter. What do you guys think? I love Zelda and Metroid equally, so knowing that one is a Metroid-like game and the other a Zelda-like game doesn't really push me in any direction.

I played through Axiom Verge, but could only manage to play Hyper Light drifter to around 50%. After that I felt that I saw everything the game had to offer.
Art Style in both are gorgeous. Prefered the Soundtrack in Axiom Verge though. Both are good games and worth a buy, but I would say go for Axiom Verge.

How 'scary' would you say the Metro games are? I'm not into horror games and assumed Metro series were horror games, but the notion of flinging knives at enemies' faces is intriguing me.

tense and gloomy but not scary, unlike STALKER's underground levels

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
If you love both equally I think Axiom Verge will provide a meatier experience, though HLD's aesthetics are superior in many ways IMO.

I'm biased in favour of Metroid, but I believe AV objectively has more content and exploration than HLD.

Admodieus

No I haven't, my host pc is wired to my router, I have tried using it with the powerline adapters and it works but after a few minutes the stream will freeze, my only problem so far but the wireless 5ghz seems to work well.

Yeah I'd be running it off 5 Ghz. Guess I'll give it a go then.

Ladekabel

Brave New World was very good. I'd try getting that if you still have any interest in Civ5.

If you end up getting Civ5 complete, you can also check out the awesome mod Vox Populi.

I don't know if I still have any interest Civ V. That's the problem. For me to know that I should reinstall it but I don't really am in the mood for that currently.

Both are good pick-ups though I preferred Hyper Light Drifter more since I'm not that big of a Metroid guy.

What are currently more in the mood for? Zelda or Metroid? If it's the former, go Hyper Light Drifter, if it's the latter, go Axiom Verge.

Alternativley you can grab Axiom Verge since it's cheaper and wait for a bigger discount on Hyper Light Drifter.

Ludens

Banned
I'm trying to make Force Unleashed 2 work but it's impossible, the game freezes on cutscenes, no matter what. I tried to rename all fmv to -wmv as suggested but it doesn't fix the issue.
If a game doesn't work, it should be fixed or removed from the store. We are talking about Disney here, so it's not that they don't have enough money to release a patch.

If anyone is looking for a minimalistic puzzle game I'd recommend Hook. It's not very hard, but it does take some thought and it gets progressively more challenging. It's also less than a dollar currently and is fairly short, so it's not a big commitment!

LogicStep

Is the Dual Shock 4 good for Steam? I have only tried it with one game (Ori) and while it works the button prompts are for the XBox controller and they don't align with the DS4 counterparts. Should I look into getting an XB1 controller or even a Steam Controller?

gdt

How's Final Fantasy IV on Steam?

Is it mostly the original SNES version (or mobile port I guess)

The DS version? And what's The After Years and how is that?

I loved FFIV as a kid, haven't played it in years.

Nete

Is the Dual Shock 4 good for Steam? I have only tried it with one game (Ori) and while it works the button prompts are for the XBox controller and they don't align with the DS4 counterparts. Should I look into getting an XB1 controller or even a Steam Controller?

Dual Shock 4 is essentialy a Steam Controller (minus double trackpads) right now. You may find this thread useful.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1293302

Weevilone

What's the word on Hitman Steam vs PS4? I could go either, and it looks like both are on sale. I tried to read and saw lots of server issues mentioned, but seems to be back from early launch.

Tizoc

How's Final Fantasy IV on Steam?

Is it mostly the original SNES version (or mobile port I guess)

The DS version? And what's The After Years and how is that?

I loved FFIV as a kid, haven't played it in years.
Ff4 on steam is the nds version and iirc runs at 15 fps

Admodieus

Two considerations when choosing a controller:

1. Do you want dual analogs (XB1/PS4 controller) or analog and touchpad (Steam Controller)?
  2. Do you want to be able to replace the batteries yourself (XB1 or Steam Controller)?

#2 is never mentioned, but the low battery life of the Dual Shock 4 infuriates me. I have a set of Eneloops I use for XB1 controller and I just swap them when the batteries are low so I never have to plug in.

Eila

Ff4 on steam is the nds version and iirc runs at 15 fps

30 fps outside of battles. So just like the PS1 games. It's odd they went for that, as more impressive looking DS games run 60 fps without much trouble, even by Square Enix. Must have been an artistic decision.

Wut. You gotta be kidding.

Can I 4k it?
This place says no.
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV
It's a fairly straight mobile port, which is a fairly straight NDS port.

hamchan

Even with the 15 fps, the DS/PC version of FFIV is still the one to play imo. That hard difficulty makes the game way more fun than the snooze fest on other versions.

level1

I can't say much about Axiom Verge (It's been sitting in my backlog for ages), but Hyper Light Drifter is a goddamn delight

Danielsan

I played through Axiom Verge, but could only manage to play Hyper Light drifter to around 50%. After that I felt that I saw everything the game had to offer.
Art Style in both are gorgeous. Prefered the Soundtrack in Axiom Verge though. Both are good games and worth a buy, but I would say go for Axiom Verge.

If you love both equally I think Axiom Verge will provide a meatier experience, though HLD's aesthetics are superior in many ways IMO.

I'm biased in favour of Metroid, but I believe AV objectively has more content and exploration than HLD.

I don't know if I still have any interest Civ V. That's the problem. For me to know that I should reinstall it but I don't really am in the mood for that currently.

Both are good pick-ups though I preferred Hyper Light Drifter more since I'm not that big of a Metroid guy.

What are currently more in the mood for? Zelda or Metroid? If it's the former, go Hyper Light Drifter, if it's the latter, go Axiom Verge.

Alternativley you can grab Axiom Verge since it's cheaper and wait for a bigger discount on Hyper Light Drifter.
CAlzahc.png

Thanks guys. Decided on Axiom due to the lower price and higher discount. :)

Admodieus

I picked up Shovel Knight on this sale and played through it - incredibly delightful between the music, level of challenge, and general mechanics. One thing I wish there was more of was the platforming-focused levels built around the digging mitts and propeller blade - I really like platforming "puzzles" like that. What's the DLC situation for the game?

Also, I have Final Fantasy VI on my wishlist but I see the version in the Steam store is the updated iOS version - any issues with it, or is it still the same game?

I figured I might as well give this away.
ModBot said:
Instructions for longlivegaming:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (longlivegaming, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Oxenfree -- MB-2FB39CB3B5AD017D - Taken by Admodieus. 13 entrants total.

t1482768399z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Arcana Heart has some really imaginative characters, and some really bland ones. I know they cant all be freaks but damn.

The more freakish ones are great tho.

gabbo

I feel odd having bought nothing during the sale. I usually get at least something for myself, even if it's just with Steam wallet money

For anyone who like flight games and WW2 flight games in particular I encourage everyone to pick up IL2: Cliffs of Dover. Why now? Because 1C has now officially partnered with a dedicated group of modders and enthusiasts, Team Fusion, to provide official support for their mods and future updates through Steam as well as content updates in the future.

Valahart

I wouldn't call Hyper Light Drifter a Zelda-like.

Great game, but really far from Zelda mechanics. It's more of a combat focused experience with very sporadic "puzzles".

Axiom Verge is very close to Metroid.

I honestly loved both, but I'd say it's easier to find great Metroidvanias out there than whatever HLD goes for.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I wouldn't call Hyper Light Drifter a Zelda-like.

Great game, but really far from Zelda mechanics. It's more of a combat focused experience with very sporadic "puzzles".

Axiom Verge is very close to Metroid.

I honestly loved both, but I'd say it's easier to find great Metroidvanias out there than whatever HLD goes for.

I agree with everything in this post, except that HLD shortness slightly disapointed me.

Slightly.

Ptaaty

I picked up Shovel Knight on this sale and played through it - incredibly delightful between the music, level of challenge, and general mechanics. One thing I wish there was more of was the platforming-focused levels built around the digging mitts and propeller blade - I really like platforming "puzzles" like that. What's the DLC situation for the game?

Also, I have Final Fantasy VI on my wishlist but I see the version in the Steam store is the updated iOS version - any issues with it, or is it still the same game?
recommend you look into guacemelee

Tizoc

I'm beginning to suspect anyone who says the term 'Zelda-like' doesn't even knows what genre the Legend of Zelda games are.

Hektor

Finished Telltale Batman. Not their best effort. Not their worst. Enjoyable enough. New villain is cool. Writing pretty hammy at spots. Enginge still sucks.

I'm beginning to suspect anyone who says the term 'Zelda-like' doesn't even knows what genre the Legend of Zelda games are.

MOBA's

It has, it's far from perfect, but from its release, which was almost unplayable, until the actual version, it has become a solid game in my book. I'd say go for it, but keep in mind your PC specs just in case.

I'm planning on upgrading to a 1070 next year, which is probably when I'll get around to playing it. I just want to get on it at this price( granted, it will probably be available in this price range for the spring/summer sale 2017).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yooo yeah I took a complete hiatus from GAF for over a year. Been back for over a month now and I'm quickly realizing why I left the last time... this place is worse than crack cocaine :p
Welcome back. Steam is still amazing.

RS4-

Still putzing around on what else to buy.

Last night I found out Enter the Gungeon has no save points. Is this true?

rogue like. It'll keep your overall progress with stats, unlocks; but not in a way like you want to quit in the middle of a game, the continue later kind of thing.

Then again, maybe that was patched in, I haven't played in months.

The new update (set for January) lets you save after you complete a floor. You can hop on the beta if you want.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/311690/announcements/detail/704082950992974352

oh shit, or this lol. Thanks Nabs, I haven't been keeping tabs on the game at all.

xeris

I play it almost every day and love it.

Even at full price the game is well worth it.

While I don't play every day, I'll second this. It's not a traditional "solve and done" puzzle game, so there's reason to keep playing to get better scores. There's also daily challenges and a worldwide leader board if you're into that sort of thing.

Zeknurn

For anyone who like flight games and WW2 flight games in particular I encourage everyone to pick up IL2: Cliffs of Dover. Why now? Because 1C has now officially partnered with a dedicated group of modders and enthusiasts, Team Fusion, to provide official support for their mods and future updates through Steam as well as content updates in the future.

Cool news. Do you know if Team Fusion ever released Vive support for CloD? I believe the were working on it at some point.

I'm considering buying Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. What say you, steamgaf? Worth it? Not worth it? Does it need extensive patching to make it work optimally?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Arcana Heart has some really imaginative characters, and some really bland ones. I know they cant all be freaks but damn.

The more freakish ones are great tho.

You're making me regret not buying last week. I know I got Melty (GOAT fighter) but AH looks pretty darn fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom