• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamGAF GOTY Results Are In (Finally)

-MD-

Evil Within at 18? =/

C'mon, son. Valkyria cracking top 10 would've been alright but you guys took that away from me too.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Yasssss Dark Souls 2, Abyss Odyssey and Killer is Dead!
iz38ia9LVyUrc.gif

Keep in mind that it's a PC exclusive. People that don't bother with PC games probably never even knew it existed.

Ah, yeah that's true I guess. I just find it crazy that one of the best games to come out last year (on any system) is going unnoticed. A console port would be great for that game and give it some much needed exposure.

Pretty solid lsit overall I'd say, not really been able go give DSII or Divinity the proper time it deserves. I'll get around to Wolfenstein eventually.

Also, jeez, Civ got 0 votes? Figured that might have been at least 1 person who liked it enough to vote.

Kinthalis

Banned
The only disappointing thing is Might and Magic X not being in the top 10. It's on sale now, buy it, play it and be amazed.

I never beat it, but have been wanting to go back to do just that. Might start over wiht a new party - shoudl help kill time till PoE.

Do you know if there ever released new content for it?

I heard they might release an expansion...

LX_Theo

Banned
Oh right, I'm dumb.

I still would have liked to see where it would have ended up in the list.
lol, probably not well, considering how vehemently against it a lot of GAF's PC RPG players seem to be in favor of their more classic style RPGs.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I never even heard of #1

16183797316_ae6d9babae_o.gif

I never beat it, but have been wanting to go back to do just that. Might start over wiht a new party - shoudl help kill time till PoE.

Do you know if there ever released new content for it?

I heard they might release an expansion...

Development on the game is done. There was a some free DLC plus a kind of mini 5-10 hour paid DLC thing released for it.

Aeana

Divinity: Original Sin was my game of the year last year by far. I really hope more people play it, because it's truly something special.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Valkyria got robbed.

And I forgot Hatoful Boyfriend got released last year, whoops. That makes two games from 2014 that I actually played in 2014.

I should really start Killer is Dead soon.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
What an amazing list. So glad that Rebirth, Shovel Knight, Transistor, and South Park made it.

oipic

Great work, thanks again to MRORANGE, jshack, and to all who voted. <3

Just for fun, here's the list sorted by APS (with games receiving 3 or fewer votes excluded for reasons all statistical-like):

01 -- 1 | Divinity: Original Sin (231 Points / 4.05 APS)
02 -- 25 | Far Cry 4 (19 Points / 3.8 APS)
03 -- 20 | Hexcells Infinite (30 Points / 3.75 APS)
04 -- 16 | Resident Evil 4 (37 Points / 3.7 APS)
05 -- 7 | The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (109 Points / 3.52 APS)
06 -- 3 | Wolfenstein: The New Order (165 Points / 3.51 APS)
07 -- 30 | Legend of Grimrock 2 (14 Points / 3.5 APS)
08 -- 14 | Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut (45 Points / 3.46 APS)
09 -- 18 | The Evil Within (34 Points / 3.4 APS)
10 -- 2 | Dark Souls 2 (195 Points / 3.36 APS)
11 -- 15 | The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (40 Points / 3.33 APS)
12 -- 5 | Shovel Knight (135 Points / 3.29 APS)
13 -- 33 | Silence of the Sleep (13 Points / 3.25 APS)
14 -- 21 | Endless Legend (29 Points / 3.22 APS)
15 -- 19 | Crimzon Clover World Ignition (32 Points / 3.2 APS)
15 -- 19 | Might & Magic X - Legacy (32 Points / 3.2 APS)
17 -- 4 | Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (137 Points / 3.19 APS)
18 -- 10 | Alien: Isolation (92 Points / 3.17 APS)
19 -- 24 | One Finger Death Punch (22 Points / 3.14 APS)
20 -- 8 | Transistor (100 Points / 3.13 APS)
21 -- 9 | Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (94 Points / 3.13 APS)
22 -- 12 | The Banner Saga (50 Points / 3.13 APS)
23 -- 17 | Wasteland 2 (36 Points / 3 APS)
24-- 36 | Abyss Odyssey (12 Points / 3 APS)
35 -- 23 | Final Fantasy XIII (23 Points / 2.88 APS)
26 -- 31 | Crypt of the Necrodancer (14 Points / 2.8 APS)
27 -- 6 | South Park: The Stick of Truth (116 Points / 2.7 APS)
28 -- 22 | Hexcells Plus (27 Points / 2.7 APS)
28 -- 22 | Valiant Hearts: The Great War (27 Points / 2.7 APS)
30 -- 11 | Valkyria Chronicles (80 Points / 2.67 APS)
31 -- 34 | BattleBlock Theater (13 Points / 2.6 APS)
32 -- 26 | Luftrausers (18 Points / 2.57 APS)
33 -- 13 | Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes (46 Points / 2.56 APS)
34 -- 28 | Hatoful Boyfriend (15 Points / 2.5 APS)
35 -- 39 | Killer is Dead - Nightmare Edition (10 Points / 2.5 APS)
36 -- 37 | Child of Light (11 Points / 2.2 APS)
37 -- 27 | Jazzpunk (16 Points / 2 APS)
38 -- 40 | Goat Simulator (10 Points / 2 APS)
39 -- 29 | Banished (15 Points / 1.88 APS)
40 -- 32 | The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (14 Points / 1.75 APS)
41 -- 50 | Broken Age (5 Points / 1.25 APS)
41 -- 50 | Murdered: Soul Suspect (5 Points / 1.25 APS)

denx

FYI guys, the voting was organized through the regular Steam thread. Voting was done through PM's to avoid cluttering the thread.

And yeah, I feel dumb cause I forgot to vote for MGSV:GZ even though it was one of my favorites last year. :p

Marcel

Elder Scrolls Online is straight up cash-in trash and how it got as many points as FFXIV: ARR is mind boggling.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
There were so many good games released last year, and looking down this list just reminds me of all of the great games I experienced in 2014 and some that I haven't played yet but need to.

Thanks again to everyone who voted - I had a great time counting the votes and reading about what everyone enjoyed and why they thought their picks were the best.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
There were so many good games released last year, and looking down this list just reminds me of all of the great games I experienced in 2014 and some that I haven't played yet but need to.

Thanks again to everyone who voted - I had a great time counting the votes and reading about what everyone enjoyed and why they thought their picks were the best.
I'm just wondering, how many points did Dragon Age get even though they were disqualified?

jrcbandit

Surprised how high Dark Souls 2 and FF13 were on the list. Ds2 wasn't a bad game but the base game was a huge let down after Demon Souls and DS1, haven't tried the DLC though.

FF13 was a horribly done port of what's arguably a bad game with the only thing really going for it is the art style/graphics. FF14 was both a far better PC and Final Fantasy game.

Gintoki

Didn't expect Crypt of the necrodancer to be high up there, barely see any mention of the game on here and its early access. (highest early access game on the list)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm just wondering, how many points did Dragon Age get even though they were disqualified?

There were three votes for Dragon Age: Inquisition, for a total of 10 points. Of course, it's difficult to place this in the existing ranking, since a lot of people didn't vote for it knowing it was disqualified. But the fact that three people voted for it even still says quite a bit!

Really nice list guys.

Loving Crypt of the NecroDancer in the top 100 despite being in Steam Early Access.

Gonna have to finish Stick of Truth sometime soon.

Somewhat amusing to me that all of those games are multiplat.
Divinity: Original Sin, while announced for consoles, is currently PC only.

And I don't know why it should matter.

Speaking of which, where are all the Nintendo exclusives that came out last year GAF? Am I confused, or did we seriously not vote any in?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Nice list, though I am in the group that was pushing for more Evil Within love. Though I will say, happy with the horror love in the list.

Opiate

Somewhat amusing to me that all of those games, in the top ten, are multiplat.

EDIT: Except Divinity.

And except several of those in 10-20. And even more in the 20-40.

But regardless, that tends to be how the PC platform works. The benefit is you get far more games to play; the "downside" is that if any of them prove to be really awesome and popular, they'll probably end up on one of the "curated" platforms eventually, either through self publishing or because Microsoft or Sony decide to subsidize their port.

I'm not actually sure that's a downside, but for the sake of argument, let's pretend it is. You're absolutely right, it's not a proprietary platform and no one has a vested interest in preventing popular PC games from appearing on other platforms the way some do on Nintendo, Sony, and Xbox consoles.

Amzin

Thanks for the excellent job, MRORANGE and jshackles!

The only one I'm sad about is Child of Light. It was a beautiful game, well executed, fairly unique gameplay-wise (Southpark, weirdly, is the closest one from 2014 in that area), but as has been mentioned 2014 was year of the RPGs so some of the smaller titles no doubt fall by the wayside :) The soundtrack is one of the few albums I've bought in years too.

Wolfenstein is one of the few that's in the top 10 by APS too, which I think speaks to how the people who liked it, loved it. Here's my vote write-up on it as it was my GOTY:

Wolfenstein: NWO is the only game this year where I beat it, started a new game, and beat it again over the course of a couple weeks. That alone tells me it was special. I tend to enjoy SP FPS campaigns anyway, and Wolfenstein really sells its world and its people. I feel like it can come across as two different worlds: One pretty simple, one complicated, all depending on whether you look for the lore collectibles and read all the side notes as you play. It paints a conflicted picture. While the Nazis are obviously bad and doing unquestionably evil things, they have actually brought a lot of good changes as well and you do question whether what you're doing is worth the costs.

A lot of people seem to be writing it off as just another shooter and I feel like they're not taking the time to explore it. Which, to be fair, isn't someone modern shooters usually encourage. The gameplay was extremely tight in almost all the areas, there was some great writing and, more importantly, storytelling.

Edit: 4 out of my 5 were in the top 10, so that's nice at least. MG:R probably would have gotten my vote too from the sounds of it, but I've yet to pick it up :l same with D:OS because I just haven't had the time to invest in an RPG of that scale (Valkyria Chronicles is taking me weeks to get through as it is)

Nabs

20 | Hexcells Infinite (30 Points / 3.75 APS)
22 | Hexcells Plus (27 Points / 2.7 APS)

I'm happy.

44 | Lethal League (7 Points / 3.5 APS)

I'm not happy.

------

Thanks for everything. The SteamGAF GOTY is always a fun time.

Dsyndrome

I'm happy with the list, I own all but one in the top ten, and most I didn't vote for because they're way in the backlog or I have to beat the ones leading up to the game (Wolfenstein).

Reminds me that I need to play more than 5 minutes of Transistor.

Top Bottom