• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamSpy - Approximate LTD sales for every game on Steam (Updated Daily)

NeoFaff

Any chance of this tracking removed games? Would be interested to know how many people own Prey or Wolfenstein :)

edit: I see the original CMR DiRT game is on there - Owners: 81,914 ± 15,581
Nice!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Got a first request to remove the game from Steam Spy. The game is Caster.

Not sure what to do.

One compromise could be removing the game from any kind of search or aggregated list, but keeping the data for if people try to directly alter the query string to get it. Reduces public visibility of the numbers to make the dev happy, doesn't actually compromise your site's objective.

Denton

Alan Wake | 1,548,633 ± 67,528
Alan Wake's American Nightmare | 1,060,242 ± 55,935

Those are some nice sales for Remedy, especially selfpublished.
Alan was in humble bundle, but sold only 286,362 bundles. So vast majority of sales was still from steam directly.
Shame it apparently still wasn't enough to free them from dependance on MS. Hopefully Quantum Break will follow example of AW and get PC release.
Would be a shame to leave all that money on the table.

Durante

On a related note, obviously there's no way to do this, but I think it's a shame we can't get an average selling price or something like that.
I don't think it's quite impossible to get some ASP estimate once this service has been running for the entirety of a game's lifecycle. If you track both price and owners daily, you can create a rough estimate of ASP which takes into account (Steam) sale prices. The biggest issue are external sales and bundles. I guess in many cases you could simple assume all copies activated during and shortly after a bundle are bundled and get a pretty decent estimate.

Xyber

I was curious how the Dead Island series did, by Techland.

Dead Island - 2,631,286 ± 87,812
Dead Island Riptide - 996,875 ± 54,245
Escape Dead Island - 6,752 ± 5,400 (yikes)

Dying Light - 564,123 ± 40,845

Note that the original dead island was in a bundle and has been discounted quite a bit.

Dying light is the most surprising to me, it rated far better than both dead island games, and was far more polished (imo a better game.) But didn't break over 750k. Most are waiting for a sale I suppose. I'm also not saying it was a failure, I just expected it to be more popular with the zombie crowd.

Dead Island have been heavily discounted plenty of times (and in humble bundles), Dying Light will sell a lot more when you can get it for 5 bucks. People have probably gotten a litte tired of zombie games as well.

You are correct. I doubt the 10% would be enough to cover the cost.

True, word is that Valve actually takes 30% per sale. There's over 4000 games available on Steam right now. If average sales was 100,000 per game with 3500 games that cost $10.00 average price. Valve would have generated
$1,050,000,000 since Steam released.

That comes to about $87,500,000 per year in revenue.

Obviously those 3500 games weren't available from day one, so most of the revenue would have come the last few years, but I can only calculate averages.

Maybe someone better in economics can figure out how much revenue Valve generates

I'm surprised Divinity hasn't gone over 1 million.

I also thought they were at almost 1 million, they seem to have stuck around that figure.
But we also have to remember they haven't offered their game with a high discount or anything like that, I think the maximum discount has been 33% off. Other games have sold more than 1 million but a good part has been at 75% off.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
This site is great, love being able to go through the data.

The numbers are tiny compared to other early access games but it annoys me that more than half a million people and I bought this game.

Oh no why, whats wrong with Starforge? I remember Vinny from GiantBomb showing this off several times on UPF and it was hilarious fun. What did they do to mess it up?

Grief.exe

The crazy thing about those survival Early Access games is the developers generally sell them at high prices. The theory being that the high prices will generally drive away the ignorant mainstream gamer who plays briefly then complains that an alpha product has bugs.

Great in theory, but, through browsing various forums, I don't think it ended up working out well in practice. As a result, games such as Rust, Arma 3, and DayZ have a massive profit margin per sale.

Coonce

The crazy thing about those survival Early Access games is the developers generally sell them at high prices. The theory being that the high prices will generally drive away the ignorant mainstream gamer who plays briefly then complains that an alpha product has bugs.

Great in theory, but, through browsing various forums, I don't think it ended up working out well in practice. As a result, games such as Rust, Arma 3, and DayZ have a massive profit margin per sale.

H1Z1 is another good example, going to be free at launch but 1 million sales!

Oh no why, whats wrong with Starforge? I remember Vinny from GiantBomb showing this off several times on UPF and it was hilarious fun. What did they do to mess it up?

When it released as "1.0" the game is really not anywhere near a finished state. I haven't played it personally, but the steam forums after the "1.0" release came out were full of livid people who wanted the game to be more feature complete.

IIRC the final release had a massive bug relating to world destruction. I think it either didn't save progress, or it broke the save - one of those. Really seemed half-baked, only a step up from Vinny's initial look at it a couple years ago.

Bulk_Rate

Legend of Grimrock: 864,419 ± 53,099
Legend of Grimrock 2: 97,279 ± 17,843

WTF PC gamers? Are you morons unaware of how much better 2 is then (the already amazing) 1?!?!

Seriously, what in the actual fuck?

Came here to post this. CryingNativeAmerican.GIF

Having said that, they really turned the puzzle-osity up to 11 on GR2. I am about 60% through (beat the first one) and had to take a break (for Bloodborne, LOL - what does that say about GR2 being truly hardcore!!)

Arma 3 was cheaper during early access than at release (I got it for like $32 when it went on early access when it was $60 at release), but otherwise you seem to be right.

prudislav

Grey Goo: 49,457 ± 12,107

Wow. That's doubly sad when you look at:

Planetary Annihilation: 714,041 ± 45,938

Just goes to show that the steam community doesn't give any fucks for quality, only that something is cheap.

honestly its imo not surprising , yet bit sad.
PA was on steam/EA for pretty long time , has succesfull kickstarter behind it and full launch started at half the price GG has.
GG is on steam only for 2 months, has quite high price for a game from striving genre, wasnt in any sale and barely any marketing with really weird name.
IMO GG will have numbers in long run. I will surely buy it one day but 45e is too much for me

That franchise has been so watered down by same-y sequels. I own most of them except the latest and I have no intention of buying that or really any that follow unless I hear really great word of mouth.

I'm in the same boat. I love the series but there are only so many times I can play the same game with minor variations.

Got a first request to remove the game from Steam Spy. The game is Caster.

Not sure what to do.

It's publicly accessible data. There isn't a real business benefit to hiding this information -- anyone who might act on it has other ways to get access to it, or could even just adapt your methodology. If there's a removal mechanism, though, some teams will start using it, not for any actual reason but solely because the possibility exists, and the result will be an ongoing erosion of the tool's value. Just keep it up.

It's publicly accessible data. There isn't a real business benefit to hiding this information -- anyone who might act on it has other ways to get access to it, or could even just adapt your methodology. If there's a removal mechanism, though, some teams will start using it, not for any actual reason but solely because the possibility exists, and the result will be an ongoing erosion of the tool's value. Just keep it up.

Agreed- if the dev/ publisher is that concerned, then they should be contacting Valve, not someone legitimately accessing and summarising what's available.

Nordicus

Singularity: 82,687 ± 15,654

14367120259_30717204e8_o.gif

Well I guess we know why Raven are delegated to COD map packs... thanks gamers.

Is it from the developer or the publisher? If it's the publisher, fuck em.
Hey, thank Activision for almost never putting the game on sale! I waited for one for such a damn long time before getting it and buying a copy

Where does a PC game get publicity? I can tell ya, not in the deep dark undiscounted bowels of Steam database during sales periods
Sales data of games developed by companies based in Finland. I gathered it mostly as something to refer in future to know how the sales have developed. As a whole it seems that Steam has been pretty good for Finnish gaming industry.
Oh wow, I knew Finnish game industry has seen bit of a bump in recent years, but didn't expect there were this many developers on Steam

prudislav

iirc Singularity was non-steam game for some time (couple weeks iirc) and was put on steam later on (not sure when right now)
- Retail was released with Securom as DRM and reatil key doesnt activate steam version at all

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
oh my god costume quest 2 bombed hard
None of the Double Fine games look great, really.
Broken Age at about 240k is pretty much their best selling game. Hack 'n' Slash at 110k and Spacebase DF-9 at 130k might be ok for them. Massive Chalice looks like it bombed so far, but it's still in Early Access.

I also expected more from Escape Goat 2 (published by DF), because even after some bundles it's only at 30k. Which is a shame, because that game is pretty good.

Lomax

It's funny how 100k sales can be a smash hit or a flop depending on expectations.

So to clarify a bit, those numbers under 30k are a little more unreliable, but it's for sure that the numbers are under 30k?

Definitely, it just means the extrapolation isn't going to be very precise. If anything it seems likely the projections will be higher than reality.

MJPIA

The game had potential but it crashed and burned.
It stumbled out of the gate when it first arrived on steam early access with a rather misleading trailer and over time it evolved into a average game with a bunch of game elements from other successful games.
Talking out of my butt right now but I believe backers of certain tiers on indiegogo got their money back since they eneded up cutting multiple features that were promised to backers of certain tiers.
Their steam page got purged of comments multiple times and their website forum seems to be down so I can't find any proof of that.

The developer ended up running out of money, fired all their experienced workers and rushed the game out.
The former community manager Juno talked about it on reddit.
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2dhpvd/starforge_developer_misconduct_a_look_back_from/

Suddenly, StarForge started to release updates more frequently. Even though these updates were tiny and didn’t contain too much, they were somehow causing very large jumps in version numbers. 0.5 > 0.5.5 > 0.7.5 > 0.8 and now 0.9. All these updates happened over the course of 4 months, March through June. The game was declared “Beta” with version 0.7.5. An announcement was stated on yesterday, August 12th 2014 that the game is nearing 1.0, and will be release “soon”.

Step back to the beginning of August. A forum regular by the name of danjvelker, a longtime supporter of the game, gets suspicious at what is going on. The current Community Manager was being very quiet, he went on leave of absence starting July 24th, 2014. He was meant to return at the beginning of August, but he never came back. So this forum member started to look around, and he found some pretty shocking truths.

He wrote up his findings, and posted it on both the official forums and the Steam forums. The original post was deleted, so unfortunately I cannot link you. However, the entire thing was captured via screenshots which can viewed in this album. http://imgur.com/a/i7OG5.

Including the community manager seven of their most experienced employees, some with years of game development experience, were fired. Members with multiple years of experience working at companies like BioWare, gone. This was done in secret, and the community was not informed of this, even though it happened weeks ago. The post went viral on the official forums and Steam, garnering 100s of posts each. In light of the evidence, people could not argue with what they were seeing. It took over a full day for a developer to respond, as the moderators quit and did not care.

The results of this post? All members involved, including myself for posting in support of it, were banned from the Steam hub. Even though no rules were broken we expected this of course, CodeHatch has history of removing anything that could affect them negatively. That being said, none of us really expected what happened on the official forums. Our accounts were not banned, they were deleted. Now at first I thought we were banned, but when the realization hit me it was rough. I was rather distraught that two and half years of my life was removed from existence. Though this does not come without consequences. Being the old Community Manager, and having my account erased. They just removed virtually every news, patch log, stickied help post, forum rules, FAQ, etc… from the forums. Between myself, and a few other extremely prominent community members, nearly 20,000 posts were removed. Most of which date back to the beginning of StarForge’s existence, and contained a lot of invaluable information about the game. It was stated we were making rumors and speculation, and that it was not true. So then why ban nearly 10 people, and erase their accounts? It was only rumors, right?
As of right now there are around 5700 reviews on steam and only 28% of them are positive and many of those positive reviews were from back when it was in alpha.

Huh, it seems that Ground Zeroes sold ~45k since the Arstechnica article and the sale some weeks ago.
hEDHtTQ.png

Don't know if that's good or bad.

Huh, it seems that Ground Zeroes sold ~45k since the Arstechnica article and the sale some weeks ago.
hEDHtTQ.png

I would say it's good, MGS isn't a series with a strong following on pc, and Ground Zeroes is known to be just a "long demo", not the true full game.

Sesha

Age of Booty

Age of Booty 24,729 ± 8,562

Bionic Commando

Bionic Commando 63,367 ± 13,704
Bionic Commando Rearmed 90,414 ± 16,369

Dark Void

Dark Void | 27,047 ± 8,954
Dark Void Zero | 31,684 ± 9,691

Dead Rising

Dead Rising 3 | 212,512 ± 25,089

Devil May Cry

Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition | 158,418 ± 21,664
Devil May Cry 4 | 268,152 ± 28,179
DmC: Devil May Cry | 410,342 ± 34,848

Ducktales

Ducktales Remastered | 141,417 ± 20,469

Lost Planet

Lost Planet 3 | 95,824 ± 16,851
Lost Planet | 377,885 ± 33,444
Lost Planet: Colonies Edition | 34,002 ± 10,039

Remember Me

Remember Me | 278,198 ± 28,701

Resident Evil

Resident Evil 4 | 180,828 ± 23,145
Resident Evil 5 | 433,525 ± 35,817
Resident Evil 6 | 527,030 ± 39,483
Resident Evil: Revelations | 248,060 ± 27,104
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 | 61,049 ± 13,451
Resident Evil HD Remaster | 104,324 ± 17,583
Resident Evil ORC | 64,913 ± 13,870

Street Fighter

Street Fighter IV 106,642 ± 17,777
Street Fighter x Tekken | 88,869 ± 16,228
Ultra Street Fighter IV 463,663 ± 37,038

Strider

Strider | 53,321 ± 12,571

Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition | 158,418 ± 21,664
Devil May Cry 4 | 268,152 ± 28,179
DmC: Devil May Cry | 410,342 ± 34,848

Kinda sad that DMC4 only sold that much.

I would say it's good, MGS isn't a series with a strong following on pc, and Ground Zeroes is known to be just a "long demo", not the true full game.

Hope it's like that. Last thing we want is for Konami to stop giving a fuck about the PC and do a shoddy port, especially now that they seemingly stopped giving Kojima "power".

I'd say it's a good thing after the initial reception of it being a glorified demo. It also has it's name behind it, which combined with the sale for next to nothing, swayed quite a few more people into buying into it. Never underestimate the power of sales, especially when the title is a known entity by more than just fans.

Sesha

Kinda sad that DMC4 only sold that much.

DMC4 only appeared on Steam in December 2009, almost two years after release and 1.5 years after the release of the PC version. Considering these numbers only count the number of people who have DMC4 registered on Steam, the total number of sales on PC are probably higher. I'd say the numbers aren't that bad. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if DMC4 has sold around 400k on PC in total, maybe 500k.

I know Dragonfall's numbers are probably lower than they would be if it had been a standalone release from the beginning, but man, it still deserves higher. Hopefully the general badness of Returns didn't put people off too much =X

ArjanN

I know Dragonfall's numbers are probably lower than they would be if it had been a standalone release from the beginning, but man, it still deserves higher. Hopefully the general badness of Returns didn't put people off too much =X

Are Dragonfall's numbers split between the DLC version for Shadowrun Returns and the standalone Director's Cut version?

I know I got the Director's Cut version but I was an original kickstarter backer.

(Either way people should play the Director's Cut version though)

szaromir

Banned
I bought the Dragonfall DLC and later received the Director's Cut version automatically when it released.

That said, I wouldn't worry about the devs. They earned enough money to fund their next project and raised additional million on kickstarter on top of that.

Deadly Premonition: 112,518 ± 19,788

Huh...

Final Fantasy VII: 817,574 ± 53,259

Now THAT would explain the not-so-absurd-anymore PS4 trolling.

I think that the sales figures for the whole Final Fantasy series are pretty interesting.

FINAL FANTASY III: 83,459 ± 15,727
FINAL FANTASY IV: 67,231 ± 14,116
FINAL FANTASY VII: 829,956 ± 49,514
FINAL FANTASY VIII: 377,885 ± 33,444
FINAL FANTASY XIII: 303,699 ± 29,986
FINAL FANTASY XIII-2: 137,553 ± 20,188* (there's a warning that those numbers are likely innaccurate)
FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn: 222,558 ± 25,674

I did not think that 7 would have numbers NEARLY that huge, or that 3 and 4 would be so low. Also, it's surprising how well XIII sold considering how much it was panned on its console release and its steam release.

Looks like XIV is doing pretty well (especially since people who bought it before it came to steam didn't get Steam keys, so there's a huge portion of their playerbase that aren't counted here), but I'm not sure how to read their "Players in the last 2 weeks: 35,547 ± 10,265". Is that only counting new sales/activations for the past two weeks? Or how many players have launched the game in the past two weeks?

alstein

From what I played of Freedom Planet it didn't deserve to sell well. Super disappointing. The pacing was all over the place

What FP did well it really did well, what it did poorly was pretty glaring. Overall I enjoyed the game and it does deserve sales.

It also has some GOG sales BTW so that's not the whole figure, and I'm unsure if there are other non-Steam versions.

Sendou

Looks like XIV is doing pretty well (especially since people who bought it before it came to steam didn't get Steam keys, so there's a huge portion of their playerbase that aren't counted here), but I'm not sure how to read their "Players in the last 2 weeks: 35,547 ± 10,265". Is that only counting new sales/activations for the past two weeks? Or how many players have launched the game in the past two weeks?

I think it's how many unique players have launched the game in the last 2 weeks while online. It's definitely something like that and not related to sales.

madjoki

Freedom Planet was also in an IndieGala bundle not too long ago, which ended with like 8-10k sales.

It was steam version in indie gala, those would be in numbers (for copies activated).

Agreed- if the dev/ publisher is that concerned, then they should be contacting Valve, not someone legitimately accessing and summarising what's available.

It's not even impossible, at least Dead Rising 2 & OTR were recently hidden.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So because a few dozen games had their numbers skewed due to free weekend, all numbers are only 50/50 correct? I don't think math works this way. The numbers for games without freebies seem to work out pretty accurately as a few devs admitted in this very thread.

It's not math. It's 50/50 because ANY title could become free weekend at any time (hell, Payday 2 has had multiple free weekends in the past year) and skew the ownership numbers. It isn't "hard data" in anything but "has it not been a free weekend game to where it isn't owned by everyone? Yes? Okay then it's possibly accurate but not 100% accurate."

madjoki

It's not math. It's 50/50 because ANY title could become free weekend at any time (hell, Payday 2 has had multiple free weekends in the past year) and skew the ownership numbers. It isn't "hard data" in anything but "has it not been a free weekend game to where it isn't owned by everyone? Yes? Okay then it's possibly accurate but not 100% accurate."

Yeah, free weekends are bad. It fixes over time, but it takes long time because it's only removed after next login or so. (Before that it's displayed via API).

Call of Duty is good example because it has separate SP&MP, and only MP part has been on free weekend.

http://steamspy.com/app/209650
http://steamspy.com/app/209660

basically it's still double, around two months after said event.

In my old days in retail distribution we've usually estimated sales of a sequel to be around 70% of the first game when making an order.

People get tired of the same stuff unless you have a hype machine :)

Thank you for all this briliant work (and watch out for Lord Gaben's ninja lawyers) :p

But it still has real time blobber combat. >.>

I honestly wonder how many people were turned off by the puzzles and secrets from the first game. aka the reason it was great.

Who knows? People oughta be ashamed of themselves, not buying such a fine title. I should do a RTTP thread...

CK2 is one of those games where if you missed a sale all you have to do is wait a month and there will be another one. I wonder what the average selling price for that game is now?

If either of them can get on the front page around release i think it will, but I don't know the chances of that. Hopefully word of mouth will keep those games selling for a long time.

Also you reminded my I need to grab Xulima so +1 sale for that.

DoTs.

You're welcome.

Good news, everyone. XPaw, creator of SteamDB just showed me how to get owners and players data for Dota 2 using official Valve API without any hacks.

In four days SteamSpy should show Dota 2 and TF2 :)

It's gettin' gooooooooooooooood now, folks!

Parsnip

DMC4 only appeared on Steam in December 2009, almost two years after release and 1.5 years after the release of the PC version. Considering these numbers only count the number of people who have DMC4 registered on Steam, the total number of sales on PC are probably higher. I'd say the numbers aren't that bad. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if DMC4 has sold around 400k on PC in total, maybe 500k.

DMC4 Special Edition sales are going to be very very interesting.

Top Bottom