• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamSpy - Approximate LTD sales for every game on Steam (Updated Daily)

KingV

Big games charge more so they have bigger profit margins than indies.

They have a lot more overhead too. They charge more, but i wouldn't be surprised if their break even on development costs is still more total units.

But overall, these sales numbers seem low, relatively speaking to console sales.

Almighty

They have a lot more overhead too. They charge more, but i wouldn't be surprised if their break even on development costs is still more total units.

But overall, these sales numbers seem low, relatively speaking to console sales.

PC gamers' tastes seem more spread out then their console gamer counterparts and in general PC games seem to peak lower then console games do. So yeah if you are just comparing them to the big heavy hitters it would seem low. I do wonder how much the average console games sells though.

Nyoro SF

Dark Souls selling a million is pretty amazing, and I love seeing more finalized Valkyria Chronicles numbers.

Hopefully SEGA follows up soon with more up-ported titles.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy shit, a lot of people play Unturned. First I've ever heard of it. Any good?

Yes. Think of it as a better DayZ done in Minecraft (ugh) style made by a seventeen (18-19 now?) year old kid that keeps people in the loop and listens to fan feedback.

Now look at DayZ and it's state. Weep as people (like me) paid Rocket. While Unturned is free to try and $5 if you want to support the developer.</aside>

Robert at Zeboyd Games said:
>>Stuff about it being semi-accurate<<

Interesting. I'm wondering how much Private profiles (like me) throw off it's stats, though.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Legend of Grimrock: 864,419 ± 53,099
Legend of Grimrock 2: 97,279 ± 17,843

WTF PC gamers? Are you morons unaware of how much better 2 is then (the already amazing) 1?!?!

Seriously, what in the actual fuck?

WTF PC gamers? Are you morons unaware of how much better 2 is then (the already amazing) 1?!?!

There are probably a lot of people who bought the first game as a novelty at a cheap price and didn't play it much.

I'm part of the problem. I purchased the original cheaply and haven't spent much time with it. It just sits in the backlog and I'm not sure of how much I enjoy the gameplay.

Obviously, I'm not rushing out to purchase 2.

Corpekata

Banned

The first was in 2 humble bundles. The second will in all likelihood earn just as much, if not more.

Aselith

Counterstrike at 12 million? That seems nuts. Especially with Source only showing 13.

Here are some more indie RPGs:

Recettear: 367k ± 35k
Chantelise: 136k ± 21k
Fortune Summoners: 102k ± 18k
Dungeons of Dredmor: 532k ± 41k

And some not necessarily indie RPGs:

Ys Oath: 133 ± 20k
Ys Origin: 204k ± 25k
Trails in the Sky: 97k ± 17k
Hyperdimension Neptunia: 53k ± 13k
Agarest: 157k ± 22k
Agarest 2: 24k ± 9k
Agarest Zero: 52k ± 13k

Would you be able to tell us if the numbers shown for your games fall in line with what you have for sales?

http://steamspy.com/app/2600
Owners: 394,236 ± 35,897

Kickstart a new one, boys!

I wonder how long this will last.

It really weirds me out that 630K people own that version of Last remnant.

It was $5!

Be damned if I know. That thing's a modern classic, a full 10/10. It's a steal at $25. /shill

Grief.exe

The PC release schedule has been essentially non-stop for the past year. Just game after game after game every single week.

I've noticed quite a few are getting swept under the rug, which is unfortunate.

In the first three months of this year alone for me has been Resident Evil, Darkest Dungeon, Sunless Sea, Grim Fandango, Homeworld Remastered, Cities Skylines, Hotline Miami 2, Ori, Pillars of Eternity. Just back to back to back, you can't possibly play all these games. It doesn't look like this pace is slowing up either.

Well, I guess that explains why SEGA stopped doing HD remakes.

Then Valkyria turns around and sells 300k out of the gate.

http://steamspy.com/app/2600
Owners: 394,236 ± 35,897

Kickstart a new one, boys!

The funny thing is Activision completely forgot about the game for years and never discounted it.

Checked a fine game with depressingly barren leaderboards (Rock Boshers DX), yep, that sounds about right.

Well gee, I hope this thing can keep going, I sure think its awfully keen.

Corpekata

Banned
Origin probably beating Oath because Origin is only on PC so it probably had a lot of the fanbase snagging it that didn't care for double dipping on Oath.

Lomax

Whoa, Origin is outselling Oath? What a time to be alive. It's just not what I expected.

Meanwhile—
Vangers: 26,453

That's just disappointing. I really want more people to know about it and dig into a unique voxel-based openly structured vehicular combat/adventure game.

Ys Origin was in a humble bundle.

And I'd say 26k for an over 15 year old niche game is pretty decent. Though it has been bundled a couple of times which may account for most of that.

Some personal favorite games of mine

Risk of Rain 901,965 ± 54,236
Skullgirls 341,330 ± 33,405
Speedrunners 579,408 ± 43,500
Castle In The Darkness 8,533 ± 5,285
Endless Legend 390,823 ± 35,741
Endless Space 702,287 ± 47,878
Lethal League 113,492 ± 19,272
Mountain 168,105 ± 23,452
Tales of Maj'Eyal 79,359 ± 16,116
Valdis Story: Abyssal City 122,879 ± 20,053
One Way Heroics 224,425 ± 27,094

Owners of my game, Love: 35k.
Owners of Bad Rats: 350k.

Well, I guess I have to kill myself now.

I played your game and finished it :)

MUnited83

For you.
Whoa, Origin is outselling Oath? What a time to be alive. It's just not what I expected.

Meanwhile—
Vangers: 26,453

That's just disappointing. I really want more people to know about it and dig into a unique voxel-based openly structured vehicular combat/adventure game.

Origin probably beating Oath because Origin is only on PC so it probably had a lot of the fanbase snagging it that didn't care for double dipping on Oath.

Origin was on a Humble Weekly Bundle.

Genkobar

Seeing these sales numbers is really interesting... but I still can't believe how many people just leave their purchase history out in the open like this. This site works because unless your profile is private, anyone can look up exactly what you've bought on Steam.

I guess it's just the default setting and people don't realize.

Corpekata

Banned
Seeing these sales numbers is really interesting... but I still can't believe how many people just leave their purchase history out in the open like this. This site works because unless your profile is private, anyone can look up exactly what you've bought on Steam.

I think it's more that most people don't care.

I'm part of the problem. I purchased the original cheaply and haven't spent much time with it. It just sits in the backlog and I'm not sure of how much I enjoy the gameplay.

Obviously, I'm not rushing out to purchase 2.

I got the first Grimrock in a cheap bundle when they were hyping up the second game. Knowing that the second game was likely to be much better than the first game resulted in me not wanting to bother playing the first game while at the same time, knowing that I already owned the first game and hadn't played it yet resulted in me not wanting to buy the sequel. Yeah, it's messed up.

Do these sales numbers seem kind of low, in general? There's a lot of indies with buzz, and AAA titles hovering about 100-200K. An indie dev probably makes pretty good money off 100K in sales, but I wonder if some bigger games are even making their money back.

Nah, this is business as usual. There's a good reason why AAA games are rarely PC exclusive.

Seeing these sales numbers is really interesting... but I still can't believe how many people just leave their purchase history out in the open like this.

People leave their Facebook and other sites with real information open to the public, I think they'd need a really good reason to close down something that matters as little as their Steam profile.

Denton

Why should I hide it? I don't mind the world seeing my 500 game collection.
And as a bonus, it allows this site to work, which is fantastic. We have all wanted steam numbers to be public and now we have.

barit

Does this site count family shared games too? Because I have Skyrim activated in my library through sharing and didn't paid a penny for it. If yes than these stats are pretty much useless imo

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Pillars of Eternity is going to be an evergreen title. Still, given that the game got $4M in revenues before the development really started, selling >100k on week 1 means Obsidian is several million dollars to the good already.
Not only that but every sale of Pillars from here on out goes to Obsidian. Every other game of theirs that sells i dont think they get a dime. We can also get a feel for how many of those numbers are backer codes because there is an achievement for using one. Right now that achievement is 18%. i am sure Obsidian is quite pleased with the sales so far.

Qassim

Does this site count family shared games too? Because I have Skyrim activated in my library through sharing and didn't paid a penny for it. If yes than these stats are pretty much useless imo

No, unless a game shows on your public profile under 'Games': steamcommunity.com/id/<YourID> then it won't be counted.

So it precludes any people who have their profile set to private too.

Denton

Oh man, Sergey Galyonkin is behind this ? Awesome, that gives is real legitimacy. Cool guy. And beautiful job done on this site, I gotta say.

Nice to see great games selling so well. Skyrim 8 million is very nice. Witcher 2 almost 3 million on Steam alone, Dark Souls over 2 million, Divinity 800K, Shadowrun Dragonfall 350K..

very nice numbers to see.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
NBA 2k10 - Owners: 29,866 ± 9,888

NBA 2k11- Owners: 36,693 ± 10,960

NBA 2k12 - Owners: 52,053 ± 13,053

NBA 2k13 - Owners: 99,839 ± 18,076

NBA 2k14 - Owners: 160,425 ± 22,910

NBA 2k15 - Owners: 522,235 ± 41,304

Pretty impressive trajectory.

Denton

Kyougar

Interesting data for me:

Egosoft X-Series:

X3: Terran Conflict $15.99 1,509,533 ±70,070
X-Tension $4.99 1,119,563 ±60,396
X3: Reunion $9.99 999,244 ±57,073
X2: The Threat $4.99 866,979 ±53,178
X: Beyond the Frontier $4.99 855,032 ±52,811 04:17
X Rebirth $39.99 788,473 ±50,722

(numbers could be skewed, there was a free weekend recently)

I hope that was a wakeup-Call for Egosoft and they make X-4 next and not this miscarriage again.
(but where is X3 Albion Prelude?)

Our beloved Grand Strategy Developer: Paradox Development Studio

Crusader Kings II 1,617,906 ±72,524
Europa Universalis IV 1,477,107 ±69,318
Europa Universalis III 416,423 ±36,891
Hearts of Iron III 313,171 ±31,999
Victoria II 236,371 ±27,805
Victoria: Revolutions 107,519 ±18,758
Crusader Kings Complete 69,119 ±15,041
March of the Eagles 66,559 ±14,760
Hearts of Iron II: Complete 59,733 ±13,983
Europa Universalis: Rome - Gold Edition 58,879 ±13,883

Taleworlds:

Mount & Blade: Warband 1,716,038 ±74,675
Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword 937,805 ±55,299
Mount & Blade 753,487 ±49,587

Idea Factory:

Agarest: Generations of War 157,865 ±22,727
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 53,760 ±13,265
Agarest Zero 52,906 ±13,160
Agarest: Generations of War 2 24,746 ±9,001

SparkTR

Why did CK2 and EUIV explode so much, were they were first Paradox Grand Strategy games to use Steamworks or something?

Tagyhag

Mount & Blade: Warband 1,716,038 ±74,675
Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword 937,805 ±55,299
Mount & Blade 753,487 ±49,587

Damn right. Warband is a fantastic game. If 2 is as moddable as the original games, it's going to sell over 2 mil eventually.

Kyougar

Why did CK2 and EUIV explode so much, were they were first Paradox Grand Strategy games to use Steamworks or something?

They were massive imrpovements from their previous games and both are Exclusive to steam. (no gog version (CK1 is on gog) and no other non-steam version. There was a HUGE Controversy at those times when the decision was made in the forums.

Top Bottom