• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamSpy - Approximate LTD sales for every game on Steam (Updated Daily)

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Japan will take PS3 sales comfortably above the Steam release.

My bad, you're right. Japanese sales for first week were >300k on PS3 alone.

It reached over 440k on PS3 alone by the end of 2013 in Japan.

So prob thanks to Japan, PS3 total across all regions was the best seller, probably by a fair margin.

But it's good to see the PC/Steam version stay competitive!

Legend of Grimrock situation is not a unique one. A lot of sequels tp indie games are nowhere near as successful. A few more examples:

Toki Tori: 221,865 ± 26,939 (55.32%)
Toki Tori 2: 82,773 ± 16,459 (29.22%)

Costume Quest: 200,532 ± 25,612
Costume Quest 2: 17,067 ± 7,475

Defense Grid: 436,903 ± 37,786
Defense Grid 2: 52,053 ± 13,053

Audiosurf: 1,131,510 ± 60,716
Audiosurf 2: 91,306 ± 17,287

Puzzle Agent: 112,639 ± 19,199
Puzzle Agent 2: 42,666 ± 11,818

Anomaly: 415,570 ± 36,853
Anomaly 2: 80,213 ± 16,203

Zeno Clash: 239,785 ± 28,005
Zeno Clash 2: 103,252 ± 18,382

Cubemen: 116,052 ± 19,488
Cubemen 2: 52,053 ± 13,053

I know the comparisons are far from perfect, because it doesn't take into account the number of times each game was bundled or was on sale, and the first game is obviously on the market for a longer period. Still, for all of the franchises above, I don't think we will see another sequel.

To be fair, there are some examples the other way- Orcs Must Die (1,209,163 ± 62,754 for the original game, 1,743,344 ± 75,262 for the sequel), Trine ( 1,189,536 ± 62,245 vs 2,061,635 ± 81,787 for the sequel). Guess it depends on a mixture of how well the original was received and whether a sequel is actually necessary or wanted. In many of the cases you've cited, I'd say a sequel wasn't really warranted, either because the first game wasn't all that (e.g. Costume Quest), or the sequel was pretty much redundant (e.g. Audiosurf, Defence Grid).

Edit- heh, animlboogy said it much better than I did above- consider my post an unnecessary sequel... ;)

Ah right, galyonkin, I wanted to get a clarification on this.

I'd like (soon enough) to post Top 10 daily sales for a week, thus we have a better idea what actually means to be in Steam Top 10...and, when the week is over, I'll also do a weekly Top 10 thanks to the daily Top 10 data. So, if I've read correctly from your site, numbers are updated daily, at night (GMT + 2). Now, does this mean that, for example, if I want to post Top 10 sales for April 10th (example), I'll have to post them on April 11th, since the numbers take count of April 10th sales only starting from April 10th's night?

Steam top sellers list is based on revenue. And Valve does publish weekly top lists which usually bluenews puts on their site. It would definitely be good to have concrete numbers accompany them though.

_machine

Thank you for coming here, Sergey!

Just heard from some more friends and we've counted 11 games and all of them were within the margin of error (that error varied wildly, though). The site also acted a nice morale boost for our own game and even though we pretty much knew, it feels nice to know that making the break-even shouldn't be a problem.

Seeing Grimrock 2 so low breaks my heart, but I'm not too surprised. The first was bundled and I think it showed quite a few people that hadn't played a game of the genre (or never played one) that why the genre had fallen with the times. It's target audience has simply been swallowed and the recent Kickstarter for a similar game looked the same (can't remember the name right now). It has a very dedicated niche, but it is at the same time really small.

MUnited83

For you.
I wonder how the GTA V numbers will be. Shit has been on the top selling list since the preorders opened. It has to be more than a million preorders already.

I wonder how the GTA V numbers will be. Shit has been on the top selling list since the preorders opened. It has to be more than a million preorders already.

Unless they've changed things, Steam's Top Selling lists are based on revenue, not units. So the more expensive a game is, the fewer units it needs to sell to top the list.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Steam top sellers list is based on revenue. And Valve does publish weekly top lists which usually bluenews puts on their site. It would definitely be good to have concrete numbers accompany them though.

MCV post them as well each Monday: just checked to see if the charts posted by both sites corresponded, and they do indeed.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/160314/steam-top-10

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/steam-top-ten-sellers-march-22-28/0147325

Mmmh...the fact that Steam top sellers list is based on revenue kind of complicates things, since I wanted a sales-based analysis, but I suppose it could still be done, just with the caveat that it's revenue-based charts we're talking about. I'll probably start to do this soon enough, I suppose from next week, hopefully.

KR_remix

To be fair, there are some examples the other way- Orcs Must Die (1,209,163 ± 62,754 for the original game, 1,743,344 ± 75,262 for the sequel), Trine ( 1,189,536 ± 62,245 vs 2,061,635 ± 81,787 for the sequel). Guess it depends on a mixture of how well the original was received and whether a sequel is actually necessary or wanted. In many of the cases you've cited, I'd say a sequel wasn't really warranted, either because the first game wasn't all that (e.g. Costume Quest), or the sequel was pretty much redundant (e.g. Audiosurf, Defence Grid).

Edit- heh, animlboogy said it much better than I did above- consider my post an unnecessary sequel... ;)

I think Orcs Must Die 2 and Trine 2 did so much better than their predecessors largely due to the inclusion of online co-op in both games. Orcs Must Die 1 had no co-op, and Trine 1 only had local co-op. Co-op seems to be pretty popular on steam. At least that is my assumption based on the popularity of stuff like Borderlands, Killing Floor, Payday 2, Dungeon Defenders, etc.

MUnited83

For you.
Unless they've changed things, Steam's Top Selling lists are based on revenue, not units. So the more expensive a game is, the fewer units it needs to sell to top the list.

I'm aware. But it has been on the top selling list for several months. Cities Skylines is at almost 1 million sale at half the price of GTA V in just under a month. GTA V definitely has some crazy numbers on preorders on Steam alone.. I'd predict that the numbers will be something along the lines of like 1.5 million already and who knows how much more it will sell on the week of release. And this is not even counting non-Steam purchases, as the game it's a Social Club code in every other store.

I think Orcs Must Die 2 and Trine 2 did so much better than their predecessors largely due to the inclusion of online co-op in both games. Orcs Must Die 1 had no co-op, and Trine 1 only had local co-op. Co-op seems to be pretty popular on steam. At least that is my assumption based on the popularity of stuff like Borderlands, Killing Floor, Payday 2, Dungeon Defenders, etc.

Yep, exactly, both added something compelling to their sequels in a way that the others really didn't and experienced better sales as a result.

I suspect the USF4 numbers include SF4:AE, since USF4 was a direct replacement (whereas vanilla SF4 is still available on Steam, interestingly enough). The MK arcade collection, KoF XIII and Vanguard Princess have all been in bundles.

It's interesting that those numbers both manage to look relatively healthy and disappointing, since the big series (like SF and MK) did much better on consoles (several million units each, iirc).

If anything the numbers are better than I could imagine, let's remember fighting games is a traditionally a console genre, not a computer genre.

galyonkin

Actual Russian Spy.
Great work, thank you!

One question: i assume people playing through Family Sharing aren't counted? Do they simply not appear under the scan or they do and you need to filter them out?
They're not owners, but they're players, like people trying a game on a free weekend.

Family Sharing is rare though.

galyonkin

Actual Russian Spy.
Ah right, galyonkin, I wanted to get a clarification on this.

I'd like (soon enough) to post Top 10 daily sales for a week, thus we have a better idea what actually means to be in Steam Top 10...and, when the week is over, I'll also do a weekly Top 10 thanks to the daily Top 10 data. So, if I've read correctly from your site, numbers are updated daily, at night (GMT + 2). Now, does this mean that, for example, if I want to post Top 10 sales for April 10th (example), I'll have to post them on April 11th, since the numbers take count of April 10th sales only starting from April 10th's night?
Yes, exactly. And take 6AM GMT just to be sure.

I probably need to add date to the site, so people will know when it was updated :)

Alien8

Just for the record, Unepic dev told me (via twitter) that the info about his game is 'pretty close'.

Grief.exe

I'm aware. But it has been on the top selling list for several months. Cities Skylines is at almost 1 million sale at half the price of GTA V in just under a month. GTA V definitely has some crazy numbers on preorders on Steam alone.. I'd predict that the numbers will be something along the lines of like 1.5 million already and who knows how much more it will sell on the week of release. And this is not even counting non-Steam purchases, as the game it's a Social Club code in every other store.

That's what was my rationale as well. We have seen two massive launches in Pillars and Cities in the past month, all the while with GTAV either just behind them or surpassing them at points.

GTAV is putting up huge sales numbers on Steam alone. That is with versions from other stores (GMG, Amazon, etc) not tying into Valve's client at all, which is a rarity at this point.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Just for the record, Unepic dev told me (via twitter) that the info about his game is 'pretty close'.

Unepic

Owners: 234,665 ± 27,705

Just to give more context.
Do we have any infos about how the Wii U version sold, by comparison, just to give better context.

EDIT: Thanks for your answer galyonkin. Very appreciated :D

KR_remix

Grimrock 2 was heavily praised for its improvements over the original though and people who played the first one loved it.

But it still has real time blobber combat. >.>

I honestly wonder how many people were turned off by the puzzles and secrets from the first game. aka the reason it was great.

This is a really awesome site! Even if the numbers are off, it's very interesting to be able to see the rough ballpark estimates for some games.

THE STEAM SPY said:
Age of Wonders III - 320,850 ± 32,389
Endless Legend - 390,823 ± 35,741
Endless Space - 702,287 ± 47,878
Civilization V - 7,258,389 ± 151,680
Civilization: Beyond Earth - 1,197,216 ± 62,445
Elemental: Fallen Enchantress - 93,866 ± 17,527
Elemental: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes - 409,596 ± 36,588*
Warlock: Master of the Arcane - 741,540 ± 49,194*
Warlock 2 - 63,999 ± 14,473
Eador: Master of the Broken World - 145,919 ± 21,851

(*note that it might've had a free weekend which heavily distorts the stats)

Grimrock 2 was heavily praised for its improvements over the original though and people who played the first one loved it.

Well, some people did. Presumably they were the ones who bought the sequel, whereas others either didn't care for it for whatever reason, or picked it up cheap at some point despite not really being interested in its very niche genre.

A couple of other things- Grimrock 2 has only been out for around 6 months and is also available on GOG. For all we know, it could have had decent sales figures there and a higher percentage of its sales on GOG compared to the original.

Mr_Zombie

Resident Evil HD: 121,172 ± 19,913
Resident Evil 4 HD: 188,585 ± 24,838
Resident Evil 5: 426,663 ± 37,341
Resident Evil 6: 520,529 ± 41,236
Resident Evil: Revelations: 261,971 ± 29,270
Resident Evil: Revelations 2: 67,413 ± 14,854
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City: 68,266 ± 14,948

To be honest, those numbers look really low. I can understand RE5, since it was a GfWL title, so many people who bought it in retail probably don't have it on Steam. However, considering that RE6 was available only on Steam (even if you buy the game in retail, you have to activate it via Steam) and it sold ~6mln copies on PS3 and X360, the quality of the game notwithstanding, 500k on Steam is a really low number.

Revelations 1 sold ~1,3 mln copies total across PS3, X360, WiiU and PC, so ~260k copies on PC isn't that bad.

I'm surprised that RE HD and RE4 HD sales are so low since both those games are classic and considered to be the best in the series (the best old-school and new-school RE title). Revelations 2 is probably low because the game was released just a month ago.

I'm totally not surprised about ORC, though. :p

Resident Evil HD: 121,172 ± 19,913
Resident Evil 4 HD: 188,585 ± 24,838
Resident Evil 5: 426,663 ± 37,341
Resident Evil 6: 520,529 ± 41,236
Resident Evil: Revelations: 261,971 ± 29,270
Resident Evil: Revelations 2: 67,413 ± 14,854
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City: 68,266 ± 14,948

To be honest, those numbers look really low. I can understand RE5, since it was a GfWL title, so many people who bought it in retail probably don't have it on Steam. However, considering that RE6 was available only on Steam (even if you buy the game in retail, you have to activate it via Steam) and it sold ~6mln copies on PS3 and X360, the quality of the game notwithstanding, 500k on Steam is a really low number.

Revelations 1 sold ~1,3 mln copies total across PS3, X360, WiiU and PC, so ~260k copies on PC isn't that bad.

I'm surprised that RE HD and RE4 HD sales are so low since both those games are classic and considered to be the best in the series (the best old-school and new-school RE title). Revelations 2 is probably low because the game was released just a month ago.

I'm totally not surprised about ORC, though. :p

I dunno, half a million copies sold of a poorly reviewed console-oriented game seems pretty decent, to be honest.

Kifimbo

Samurai Gunn: 17,920 ±7,659

User reviews are great, but I think the price is too high and I can't remember a time when it was on sale.

Nzyme32

Just consider that that is only the Steam version. All the retail and other digital store front's have a Rockstar Social Club only version

MUnited83

For you.
Just consider that that is only the Steam version. All the retail and other digital store front's have a Rockstar Social Club only version

Yeah, I already adressed that above. Preorders on Steam alone are easily at 1.5 million right now, I would think. Who knows how much more outside of Steam.

eiskaltnz

Samurai Gunn: 17,920 ±7,659

User reviews are great, but I think the price is too high and I can't remember a time when it was on sale.

Just looked this up before also, I feel the price is the reason it hasn't sold more.

It's a go to for when I want to play some local games with my friends, I do hope it finds more success.

Giran

Loving reading this thread and seeing big numbers for great games, heartwarming stuff.

The downside is when you see games you love that sold below what you hoped. Even though they've been out for years. Even though they've been on discount dozens of times, as low as just $2-5. Even though they've been in Humble Bundles.

Dammit, King's Bounty, you deserve better.

Almighty

The downside is when you see games you love that sold below what you hoped. Even though they've been out for years. Even though they've been on discount dozens of times, as low as just $2-5. Even though they've been in Humble Bundles.

Dammit, King's Bounty, you deserve better.

How many of them are Steam only? I know the first one wasn't.

ArjanN

Probably through systematic sample updates.

That being said, the word of mouth against this game was devastating.

It was also expensive on release and not on sale for a long time.

The actual game wasn't as bad as people say though, it's actually a fairly decent brawler, it mostly had the problem of having to live up to the Ninja Gaiden name.

ZeroXZee

So, someone asked the stats for VNs.

Long Live The Queen - 268,152 ± 28,179
Sakura Spirit - 156,873 ± 21,558
Analogue: A Hate Story - 130,598 ± 19,671
Go! Go! Nippon! ~My First Trip to Japan~ - 98,142 ± 17,054
Hatoful Boyfriend - 88,869 ± 16,228
Hate Plus - 68,004 ± 14,197
Huniepop - 64,140 ± 13,788
Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos - 40,184 ± 10,914
NEKOPARA Vol. 1 - 40,184 ± 10,914
WORLD END ECONOMiCA episode.01 - 33,229 ± 9,924
Sakura Angels - 23,956 ± 8,427
Fading Hearts - 17,774 ± 7,258
If My Heart Had Wings - 17,001 ± 7,099
eden* - 6,827 ± 4,727
Cho Dengeki Stryker - 3,376 ± 3,818
Princess Evangile - 2,467 ± 4,833

Not all of them, obviously!

Elija2

Worms: 146,827 ± 20,857
Worms Armageddon: 407,250 ± 34,716
Worms Ultimate Mayhem: 449,753 ± 36,480
Worms Reloaded: 707,086 ± 45,715
Worms Revolution: 724,087 ± 46,259
Worms Clan Wars: 166,146 ± 22,186

I'm surprised that Armageddon is that low since it seems to be the most popular Worms game, but I guess most people have non-Steam copies of it. And that's quite the drop from Revolution to Clan Wars. I thought Clan Wars was one of the better ones, too.

So, someone asked the stats for VNs.

Long Live The Queen - 268,152 ± 28,179
Sakura Spirit - 156,873 ± 21,558
Analogue: A Hate Story - 130,598 ± 19,671
Go! Go! Nippon! ~My First Trip to Japan~ - 98,142 ± 17,054
Hatoful Boyfriend - 88,869 ± 16,228
Hate Plus - 68,004 ± 14,197
Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos - 40,184 ± 10,914
NEKOPARA Vol. 1 - 40,184 ± 10,914
WORLD END ECONOMiCA episode.01 - 33,229 ± 9,924
Sakura Angels - 23,956 ± 8,427
Fading Hearts - 17,774 ± 7,258
If My Heart Had Wings - 17,001 ± 7,099
eden* - 6,827 ± 4,727
Cho Dengeki Stryker - 3,376 ± 3,818
Princess Evangile - 2,467 ± 4,833

Not all of them, obviously!

It's a shame Mangagamer's sales are so low.

Lomax

Worms: 146,827 ± 20,857
Worms Armageddon: 407,250 ± 34,716
Worms Ultimate Mayhem: 449,753 ± 36,480
Worms Reloaded: 707,086 ± 45,715
Worms Revolution: 724,087 ± 46,259
Worms Clan Wars: 166,146 ± 22,186

I'm surprised that Armageddon is that low since it seems to be the most popular Worms game, but I guess most people have non-Steam copies of it. And that's quite the drop from Revolution to Clan Wars. I thought Clan Wars was one of the better ones, too.

Bundles bundles bundles. Seriously, the answer to almost every anomalous sales number in this thread is bundles. The impact bundles have had on the Steam market cannot be understated. Even small bundles sell 5-10k copies, and larger humble bundles sell in the hundreds of thousands. And many games have been bundled multiple times.

It's a shame Mangagamer's sales are so low.
I think part of the problem is that they sell a lot of stuff on their own store, plus until recently, they had all ages versions of their stuff on their store, until ESRB problems led them to remove all ages versions from their store.

Top Bottom